We have to save HARRISON FORD!!!!!!!

Discuss all the finest actors, living or dead -- their films, their talents, and their weird, drug-related escapades.

Is Harrison Ford Still Cool?

Yes.
31%
No.
45%
William Shatner should play all his roles now.
24%

Total votes : 51

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:12 pm

Well Indy 4 will be the final nail in the coffin of him as an action star. After that he had better try acting with people more, rather than hitting them.

Personally, at this stage in his career, another Indy movie is the LAST thing I wanna see this guy do.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:19 pm

I'd rather they didn't do it at all. I think the three they've done fit together very well and provide enough of the character to leave you properly fulfilled. For Christ's sake, they ride off into the sunset at the end of Last Crusafe!!

That said, if they're gonna do it, it'd be a fitting end for Ford's action career.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:23 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:His ass I tell you...his ass!

Indy 4 has been slated for '07 hasn't it? At Ford's insistence or he won't do it all. He's fed up with the Stevie and Georgey faffing around forever. For once he uses his star power in a good way.

Heh.

I sense the good in you, Harrison.

Its....too....late for me....my Zoners. Save yourself >fsssk<

Ford is indeed doing Indie 4 and there's exclusive news on it's provisional title:

'Indiana Jones and The Golden Zimmer Frame'

Shooting starts the summer of 2007 and a release date for 2025 has been set, once Mr Ford has completed his own stunt work on the film.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:46 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
DennisMM wrote:
Dino DeLaurentiis wrote:Anna the Dino, he KNOWS a the characitures, eh?

Dino, if that's not a typo (and I don't think it is), you have coined one of the great showbiz words of all time.

Goddamn... The Dino, he knows a the caricatures... he just a donna know how a to spell it inna the English, eh?

:oops:

No Dino, it's great! The idea of an actor not becoming a caricature of him/herself but playing so many similar roles that this person becomes a CHARACiture is brilliant!
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:51 pm

I read a fascinating book that followed Steven Spielberg's career...it would have been published around the late nineties, maybe even 2000 - but I forget who the author was.

Fascinating insight into various stories...it revealed the detail surrounding Karen Allen. At the time she took real unbrage to Ford giving her the Fisher treatment (nicking her lines, reducing others etc). She was hot-headed herself, but in not backing down from Ford she pretty much blacklisted herself from the 'A' list and hence never built on her turn in Raiders in any meaningful way.

Now, I'm wary of hazy recollections...but those facts were spelt out in the book - anyone able to shed any further light re: whether this was the case or not. Ultimately she did it to herself...but not without severe rudeness from Ford first. She should have been smarter perhaps? Just wondering if there's been a smoking of the peace pipe if she is to return in Indy IV....
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby JabberJaw on Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:26 pm

I think Ford, Spielberg & Lucas are smart enough to realize that Indy 4 would have to be different. Im sure they wont have him in a wheel chair, but they were smart enough to get Sean Connery for the Last Crusade, i have confidence they will treat it right. I am more apt to buying Indy 4, than Rocky Balboa getting in the ring again. As soon as we see The fadora and bull whip all will be right with the world and we will watch it and love it for one last time.
ImageImage
JabberJaw
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:05 pm

JabberJaw wrote:I think Ford, Spielberg & Lucas are smart enough to realize that Indy 4 would have to be different. Im sure they wont have him in a wheel chair, but they were smart enough to get Sean Connery for the Last Crusade, i have confidence they will treat it right. I am more apt to buying Indy 4, than Rocky Balboa getting in the ring again. As soon as we see The fadora and bull whip all will be right with the world and we will watch it and love it for one last time.

And don't even mention Rambo Pt IV. Now that Turkey will walk right up to your Thanksgiving table and carve itself, goddammit!

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:53 pm

Josh Hartnett and Brad Pitt didn't get on with him either.

All this reducing other character's stuff in favour of your own. Hmm, who's right?

Is it in doing what's best for the story, scenes etc.? Or is it ego and selfishness for yourself and your screen time to score?

Star Power and it's wielding on set better be fucking used right. I tell ya, if I get kicked off set 'cos some actor like that tries to boss me about, I'd kick his fucking ass outside the studio. I couldn't live with not doing this.

Fucking Bullies. No Fucking Way.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby so sorry on Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:02 pm

JabberJaw wrote:As soon as we see The fadora and bull whip all will be right with the world and we will watch it and love it for one last time.

I thought the same thing about SW Episode I... as soon as i'd hear the first humm of a lightsaber all would be right with the world...
Jeebus was i wrong!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:12 pm

I love Mr. Ford, and that's why I think he needs to retire. NOW. With dignity.

Indy 4 should be canceled. It's ludicrous that they'd even consider it.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:20 pm

I'm sure Harrison Ford wanted to play Oscar Schindler. You'd imagine him getting an Oscar just for taking the part, wether his accent was good enough or if he was fully convincing in the part.

Now that his action man career seems to be coming to an end, I hope that we do see him taking on such roles. Big, meaty, demanding, important. Albeit Oscar Schindler was a Hero/Saint role, it'd be good to see Ford play out some different morals in his characters.

Remember what Mark Hamill said about him in an interview? As soon a he plays a flawed character he'll get an Oscar.

Personally, Fuck Oscar. But still, I reckon my old mate Harrison would be possibly the best person to cast in roles like this.

Mmm, oh shit, just remembered that he was the first choice for Oliver Stone's Jim Garrison in JFK, who Kevin Costner eventually played. Ford turned it down because he was skeptical about the subject matter being too old for audiences to really be concerned about.

'Too old'. What a fucking wanker!

I wonder how he'd do in it. Probably rejected it 'cos there were too many lines or something.

Again, I said 'possibly' the best man for such parts. I do wonder if he would have triumphed in this role nad would have created one of the greatest cinematic moral heroes, or would have completely fallen on his face in this.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby DennisMM on Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:46 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Josh Hartnett and Brad Pitt didn't get on with him either.

All this reducing other character's stuff in favour of your own. Hmm, who's right?

Is it in doing what's best for the story, scenes etc.? Or is it ego and selfishness for yourself and your screen time to score?

Star Power and it's wielding on set better be fucking used right. I tell ya, if I get kicked off set 'cos some actor like that tries to boss me about, I'd kick his fucking ass outside the studio. I couldn't live with not doing this.

Fucking Bullies. No Fucking Way.

It's a Shatner, pure and simple.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:48 pm

?????
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby DennisMM on Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:01 pm

Shatner is famous for walking all over his costars and either cutting their lines or having them reassigned to himself. He used to count lines in the Star Trek days and insisted none of the supporting characters was strong enough to carry an episode -- their stories always had to be in the background, even should an episode based around them be approved for production. Ford has been pulling a Shatner all these years.
DennisMM

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:10 pm

Oh sheet. I should know this baout my Shats. Thanks man.

Heh, what if I became a Mod one day and cut all the Zoners lines, and completely censored the Mods, so all that would be left are my words of brliiant incoherency?

That thought has made you die of terror right away hasn' it?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby austenandrews on Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:26 pm

Ford's doing what Sean Connery has coasted on for almost twenty years - playing the same character in a narrow range of genres. But there are two big differences - first, Connery is content to play supporting roles; second, Connery's default character is fun to watch, where Ford's is a droning grump.
austenandrews
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby monorail77 on Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:34 pm

Ever since those Jack Ryan movies, Harrison Ford has only two facial expressions:

1. "Uh Oh, I think he's gonna hit me" and

2. "Hey, you hit me!"

That is all.
"All we have is language; that's the one tool that enables us to grasp hold of our lives and transcend our fate by understanding it."
-Harlan Ellison

monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby Shane on Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:55 pm

At this point if Ford is in a movie It's a sure Bet I won't waste my time. Blade Runner, Indy, and StaarWars is about it that was worth seeing with him. Best bet? Miracle?
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby You Know My Name on Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:50 pm

I'm sure his next film will be better.
Last edited by You Know My Name on Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You Know My Name
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby JabberJaw on Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:53 pm

so sorry wrote:
JabberJaw wrote:As soon as we see The fadora and bull whip all will be right with the world and we will watch it and love it for one last time.

I thought the same thing about SW Episode I... as soon as i'd hear the first humm of a lightsaber all would be right with the world...
Jeebus was i wrong!

yeah, you have a point there...I couldnt get past not seeing Mark Hamil and Carrie Fisher in the new ones...im old school...at least we would still have Harrison Ford playing Indy
JabberJaw
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Shane on Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:53 pm

If they had to have a new movie with |Han Solo I'd rather see Denis Quaid play him.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Lady Sheridan on Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:00 pm

Good lord. This is gossipy but it needed to be posted.

I have nothing against older actors and actresses, and nothing against Virginia Madson, but can you imagine how DULL this would be? Please, just say no to Indy 4!

Sideways star Virginia Madsen so impressed co-star Harrison Ford in new thriller Firewall, she's now the frontrunner to play his love interest in the fourth Indiana Jones adventure. Madsen plays Ford's wife in the new movie and admits they both found an unusual chemistry on set - after the ageing action man handpicked her for the role. And now Madsen is a clear favorite to play the leading lady in Indiana Jones 4. Ford tells movieline.net, "She was an absolute delight - professional, very talented and simply, very sweet. She also took what could have been a fairly one-dimensional damsel in distress role and added so many layers to it - there isn't many who could do that. I'd work with her again in a heartbeat. I'm actually hoping she'll come over for Indiana Jones. We've talked about it."
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby so sorry on Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:05 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:Good lord. This is gossipy but it needed to be posted.

...and nothing against Virginia Madson, but can you imagine how DULL this would be? Please, just say no to Indy 4!...

Cat fight!

In all seriousnessess, i agree. Madsen may be a decent/good actress, but i can't see her playing a Indy girl.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Adam Balm on Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:22 pm

I have nothing against older actors and actresses, and nothing against Virginia Madson, but can you imagine how DULL this would be? Please, just say no to Indy 4!

What???

If Virginia Madson's in this, my only hope is that She gets to use the bullwhip at least once..

(Hey, what do you think Indy's safe word is?)
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:25 pm

Adam Balm wrote:

What???

If Virginia Madson's in this, my only hope is that She gets to use the bullwhip at least once..

snakes
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby thomasgaffney on Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:25 pm

so sorry wrote:
Adam Balm wrote:

What???

snakes

on a plane?
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon and apple and barnes & noble
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Peven on Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:33 pm

Ford is in an extended mid-life crisis, where his vanity and neediness for ego-stroking is over-riding his perspective on picking roles and how to play them. you'd think the crap reviews and shitty BO performance of the lame work he has done lately would give him the shot of humility he needed to get his head straight, but alas, some anorexic bimbo is probably whispering in his ear every night about what a stud he still is, so he keeps on deluding himself that he is still that badass with a fedora.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Lady Sheridan on Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:39 pm

Peven wrote: but alas, some anorexic bimbo is probably whispering in his ear every night about what a stud he still is, so he keeps on deluding himself that he is still that badass with a fedora.

She has a name, you know!!

;)
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby so sorry on Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:40 pm

BULEMIALASH!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Peven on Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:47 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:
Peven wrote: but alas, some anorexic bimbo is probably whispering in his ear every night about what a stud he still is, so he keeps on deluding himself that he is still that badass with a fedora.

;)

yes, she has one, but i refuse to type it out. if she wants, she can always take those fingers out of her throat and type it here herself. :wink: :)

and Lady Sheridan, seeing your new sig made me laugh my ass off. :lol:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby MadCapsule on Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:51 pm

Peven wrote:
Lady Sheridan wrote:

;)

yes, she has one, but i refuse to type it out. if she wants, she can always take those fingers out of her throat and type it here herself. :wink: :)

and Lady Sheridan, seeing your new sig made me laugh my ass off. :lol:

This seems like a suitable first time for me to use. . . IPAMPILASH!
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby RogueScribner on Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:06 am

Ford had a real streak going in the '80s and '90s, but it couldn't last forever. He simply couldn't transition out of the action roles, despite finding success in more dramatic parts. I don't know what he's doing anymore. Indy 4 will suck and Ford is nothing like he was ten years ago. He should just retire or do bit character parts here and there until something good comes along. Quit with these lame ass paycheck movies!
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Agent Alonzo on Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:44 am

As an interesting aside to this thread, the original title of Dances with Wolves was Runs like a Monkey...

We now return you to your scheduled bitchsession. Oh, and how uncomfortable must it be to get jiggy with that Flockhart chick? I mean there is no studly, no muscle, no curves, just hard unyielding bone...
alonzo..... my apologies you ho-bag! - banthafodderUK

...that was the funniest post I've ever read at AICN. Comedy gold. I'm stealing it and shooting it in nothing other than a static two-shot. - Kevin Smith
Agent Alonzo
UMAGAA OMBONGO

Postby Carolian on Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:46 am

Agent Alonzo wrote:Oh, and how uncomfortable must it be to get jiggy with that Flockhart chick? I mean there is no studly, no muscle, no curves, just hard unyielding bone...

For some reason, that is one of the most absolutely terrifying word-pictures ever painted.
The whole world's wild at heart and weird on top.

This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.
Carolian
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Agent Alonzo on Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:01 am

Carolian wrote:
Agent Alonzo wrote:Oh, and how uncomfortable must it be to get jiggy with that Flockhart chick? I mean there is no studly, no muscle, no curves, just hard unyielding bone...

For some reason, that is one of the most absolutely terrifying word-pictures ever painted.

I'll take that as a compliment, and not a thinly veiled suggestion that I have a small penis...
alonzo..... my apologies you ho-bag! - banthafodderUK

...that was the funniest post I've ever read at AICN. Comedy gold. I'm stealing it and shooting it in nothing other than a static two-shot. - Kevin Smith
Agent Alonzo
UMAGAA OMBONGO

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:58 pm

Ford was on the Today Show this morning, cool as ever. They talked a bit about him getting older and still doing stunts, then he mentioned he still really wants to do Indy 4.

Nothing major, but the guy is just plain cool.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:22 pm

after seeing him recite Dr. Seuss during the Super Bowl last night, i think ford may be beyond salvation...

he does have a sense of humour though, which defuses some of his over-serious stuff. i like this clip from conan o'brien a couple years ago...

http://www.tv.com/late-night-with-conan-obrien/show/4748/videos.html
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Flumm on Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:30 pm

Agent Alonzo wrote:
Carolian wrote:

I'll take that as a compliment, and not a thinly veiled suggestion that I have a small penis...

Indiana Jones IV: The Frantic Feeding of Flockheart?
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Iconoclastica on Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:03 am

So, umm, Harrison Ford's on Conan right now . . . talking about how he found the fight scenes with Bettany to be . . . erotic?!

And he just got bleeped for his response to Conan's question about "this grumpy Harrison Ford image/look of death"

daaaamn. Interview for the history books.

EDIT: He's like this old, muffled, photocopy of his former self :-(. . . did vampire santa get to him?!

EDIT2: hahahaha. Conan asked about the Star Wars x-mas special and Harrison denied memory of ever taping it . . . then conan let him know he had footage. "how would you feel if I show this clip that I have" "I don't know I've never seen it - maybe it'll be nice" Hehe - there were lustful glances between a random wookiee and harrison ford! Hot! Brokeback Kashyyyk :P

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby Lady Sheridan on Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:06 am

Iconoclastica wrote:EDIT2: hahahaha. Conan asked about the Star Wars x-mas special and Harrison denied memory of ever taping it . . . then conan let him know he had footage. "how would you feel if I show this clip that I have" "I don't know I've never seen it - maybe it'll be nice" Hehe - there were lustful glances between a random wookiee and harrison ford! Hot! Brokeback Kashyyyk :P

Brokeback Kashyyyk...I hereby nominate it as the funniest Brokeback joke ever told!! :lol:

I wish I had seen it...I was dozing off over Troilus and Criseyde.
I was sorely tempted to buy that Christmas Special on Ebay because I wanted to see it in all of it's horror, but I decided it would be better to just light my money on fire.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Doc Holliday on Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:23 am

Brokeback Kashyyk? Thats pure Comedy Gold to go with my morning Joe.

ILASHIWAKEUP :D

Boss is off all day as well...its shaping up to be a great day on the Zone...

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Iconoclastica on Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:00 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:
Iconoclastica wrote:EDIT2: hahahaha. Conan asked about the Star Wars x-mas special and Harrison denied memory of ever taping it . . . then conan let him know he had footage. "how would you feel if I show this clip that I have" "I don't know I've never seen it - maybe it'll be nice" Hehe - there were lustful glances between a random wookiee and harrison ford! Hot! Brokeback Kashyyyk :P

Brokeback Kashyyyk...I hereby nominate it as the funniest Brokeback joke ever told!! :lol:

Thanks LS and Doc ^_^ . . . now if only I had the means to craft the ultimate parody out of this, complimenting the footage with the necessary, ahem, soundtrack . . .

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby Vegeta on Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:06 pm

I think the poll question should be "Is Harrison ford still Drunk?"
I swear for the past two years or so every picture I see of him at an award ceromony or in public he justs looks fucking hammered. Maybe it has some weird beer google effect that makes Callista look like she's at a healthy weight.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby brainiac on Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:10 pm

Iconoclastica wrote:So, umm, Harrison Ford's on Conan right now . . . talking about how he found the fight scenes with Bettany to be . . . erotic?!

Maybe neurotic? or quixotic? or semiotic? ....but....erotic? :mrgreen:
Who watches the Watchmen?
brainiac
REAL DRAGON

Postby J.J. Gittes on Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:11 pm

did anyone see Conan ask him about the star wars christmas special last nite
J.J. Gittes
GLIB

Postby Iconoclastica on Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:16 pm

J.J. Gittes wrote:did anyone see Conan ask him about the star wars christmas special last nite

backtrack about five posts - I wrote a whole thing about it

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby Shane on Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:16 pm

All Seriousness.

Ford is in the wrong roles and wrong movies. The occasional staring role would not be bad, but he needs to take supporting roles like Morgan Freeman. Maybee then he can become more respected, and his roles would suit him better, also it would give him a chance to be apart of much better films. Yeah Morgan stars occasionally, but when he co-stars it is such a treat, like in Batman Begins or Million dollar baby. Ford should take the role of mentors, or villains.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:17 pm

J.J. Gittes wrote:did anyone see Conan ask him about the star wars christmas special last nite

scan up about 3 or 4 posts... we're all over it...

ETA: damn icono and her damn fine fast fingers...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Peven on Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:19 pm

i guess it makes sense that the guy who played Indiana Jones, an archeologist, would be attracted to a chick who looks like he found her in a sarcoghagus.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby dimasok on Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:37 am

Oh guys leave Harrison Ford alone for christ's sake! The guy made FUCKIN UMPTEENS of QUALITy titles, so yeah he might he wanned a bit towards the end (the age is probably the main issue here) but nevertheless he is one of the best oldies actors out there and Firewall, at least from what i've heard and seen from the trailers is looking very mighty indeed, just the way FORD likes it.

About diversity. Someone suggested Ford repeats the heroic deeds of De Niro and cast himself in a different role. Well guys, would you care mentioning to me WHICH EXACTLY De Niro are we referring to here? The one who took the public by storm in GoodFellas, Casino, Heat, hell in THOUSANDS of other awesome movies, or the latter years De Niro, the one who can't even distinguish between stuff he should be filmed in (anything with Al Pacino in it hehe) and the stuff he should avoid like dog poop (ahem Meet the Fockers ahem). So De Niro is not really a good example...

Al Pacino is better geared up for the role. His latest roles weren't of the Scarface, Godfather badass talented-as-hell variety but still though, no one could throw a barrel at him claiming that "Two for the money" wasn't a full fucking dedication to the role for him.
dimasok
STEAK-A-BABY

PreviousNext

Return to Actor Discussion