Love is a Four-Letter Word: Your Favourite Love Songs

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Postby Cabiria on Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:01 pm

keepcoolbutcare wrote:Emily Kane, Art Brut.

Awww! I adore this song. The bit about school kids singing her name is ridiculously sweet.

I'm a wee bitter about this topic, but I'm game enough to list a few songs that I dig.

Fields of Gold - Sting (Shut up.)
Love Song - The Cure
Never Tear Us Apart - INXS (ah, strings!)
Natural Woman - Aretha Franklin
I Think I See The Light - Cat Stevens
Naked as We Came - Iron & Wine (depressing...)
Deutscher Girls - Adam and the Ants (ok, not really a love song, but I like it)
In The Aeroplane Over The Sea - Neutral Milk Hotel (Hmm, not really one either...)

I've just come the realization that I'm terrible at picking love songs. I think I'm in the wrong thread! :oops:
Cabiria
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Kilgore on Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:01 pm

St. Alphonzo wrote:
Brocktune wrote:
St. Alphonzo wrote:
Kilgore wrote:'God Only Knows' - The Beach Boys

Not only one of the best love songs ever (and certainly the most honest... it even starts with the line "I may not always love you") but also one of the best songs period.

i would have to agree with you. the other one of the beach boys' that comes to mind for the same reasons is "wouldnt it be nice". it seems like a happy song on the outside, but if you listen closer, it depressing as fuck. that song rips my heart out everytime i hear it. wilson really wrote some emotional gems in the beach boys later years.

Amen. Wilson is fantastic. It's too bad he went off the rails.

I don't know if it's that bad...'crazy as a shithouse rat' is a lot more origiinal than 'unexplained suicide', 'found on bus under mysterious circumstances' or 'now releasing Mercury Rising'.
Kilgore
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:12 am

Cabiria wrote:
keepcoolbutcare wrote:Emily Kane, Art Brut.

Awww! I adore this song. The bit about school kids singing her name is ridiculously sweet.
I'm a wee bitter about this topic, but I'm game enough to list a few songs that I dig.

Love Song - The Cure
Never Tear Us Apart - INXS (ah, strings!)
Natural Woman - Aretha Franklin
I Think I See The Light - Cat Stevens
Naked as We Came - Iron & Wine (depressing...)
In The Aeroplane Over The Sea - Neutral Milk Hotel (Hmm, not really one either...)

I've just come the realization that I'm terrible at picking love songs. I think I'm in the wrong thread! :oops:

no you're not! Some of those are fantastic! I mean, love songs can be sad, depressing, wrist slitting stuff (cripes, I had fuck songs on my list, and J.J. Gittes showed the impeccable taste of his cinematic namesake by mentioning Fuck Me Gently by the D).

and you're never in the wrong thread if you give me shout-outs, darling.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MiltonWaddams on Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:35 am

And You For Me - The Gamits
El Scorcho - Weezer (duh)

The Gamits cite Brian Wilson as a major influence, even writing a song about how he goes batshit crazy and gets exploited by his doctor. If you write moderately catchy music and don't cite the Wilson as an influence, something is screwy.
Urer yvrf Z.J.
Xvyyrq ol ungr naq vafvqr wbxrf.
MiltonWaddams
REAL DRAGON

Postby Lady Sheridan on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:02 am

Doc Holliday wrote:
Gr8. I spent 15 years researching and refining my Pillow Talk...then yo go luck onto the magic formula by randomly choosing five album titles. Back to the drawing board I go...

All I want is You - U2 (would be even better if that was the title in full "All I want is you.....oh! And you too....and you....."=)

Doc, between the LOTR thing, the Val Kilmer avatar and your love song of choice, I am very close to wanting to marry you. :wink:

My list:

Today--Jefferson Airplane
Is This Love?--Bob Marley
Fools Rush In--Elvis Presley
Fields of Gold--Sting (I'll stand with you, Cabiria)
Anything by Dean Martin
Unchained Melody--I forget...but I also like U2's cover of it which is kind of 80's and angsty.

So many of U2's are horribly bitter, anti-love songs so I can't pick them. So I'll go a bit grungy and pick the weird "Hawkmoon 269" because it has that sleazy motel thing. "Love is Blindness" is pretty hot, too.

I hope you won't mock me too much, I will always think "The Point of No Return" from Phantom of the Opera is one of the sexiest love songs. But it has to be done right and not many stage performers ever get it. The movie version was sexcellent.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:09 am

Lady Sheridan wrote:
Unchained Melody--I forget...but I also like U2's cover of it which is kind of 80's and angsty.

it was written for a movie by Alex North and Hy Zaret (had to Wikipedia that one) and has been covered a million times, including by H-arry Belafonte and Al Green. The most famous version was by the Righteous Brothers...
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Lady Sheridan on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:35 am

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
Lady Sheridan wrote:

it was written for a movie by Alex North and Hy Zaret (had to Wikipedia that one) and has been covered a million times, including by H-arry Belafonte and Al Green. The most famous version was by the Righteous Brothers...

Ah, I knew it was some set of brothers. I think the only two covers I've ever heard were Joni Mitchell's and U2's, oddly enough. I always imagined it as one of those sacred cows no one touched. ;)
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:46 am

Lady Sheridan wrote:Doc, between the LOTR thing, the Val Kilmer avatar and your love song of choice, I am very close to wanting to marry you. :wink:

My list:

Today--Jefferson Airplane
Is This Love?--Bob Marley
Fools Rush In--Elvis Presley
Fields of Gold--Sting (I'll stand with you, Cabiria)
Anything by Dean Martin

So many of U2's are horribly bitter, anti-love songs so I can't pick them. So I'll go a bit grungy and pick the weird "Hawkmoon 269" because it has that sleazy motel thing. "Love is Blindness" is pretty hot, too.

I hope you won't mock me too much, I will always think "The Point of No Return" from Phantom of the Opera is one of the sexiest love songs. But it has to be done right and not many stage performers ever get it. The movie version was sexcellent.

Hey Lady S - heh, I woulda answered last night, but I was too busy running to the airport and trying to smuggle myself on a plane to Denver :D :wink:

Hawkmoon 269....you see, this is exactly why I LOVE the Zone. I could sit in pubs with friends for the next twenty years and still not have heard that song get a mention. Its wasn't a single (in the UK anyway, as far as I know) and was on an album that spawned many other HUGE hits.

Yet it was the one track on that album that would just send my head spinning off into a trance. Would take me right out of whatever moment I was in..great track, good to see it get a mention! There was another song from an earlier album (could have been WAR maybe?) called something like HeartLights....quite short, but the music on that had a similar effect on me too.

And don't even get me started on cool Avatars Milady: Val Kilmer is cool...but he's no Lara Croft...you smooth talker you! :lol:
Last edited by Doc Holliday on Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Carolian on Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:40 am

There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" by The Smiths, and "Amsterdam" by Coldplay. I love (HA HA HA) those songs.
The whole world's wild at heart and weird on top.

This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.
Carolian
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Cabiria on Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:06 am

keepcoolbutcare wrote:and you're never in the wrong thread if you give me shout-outs, darling.

How could I not, when you mention the incredible Art Brut? Anytime, babe.

Lady Sheridan wrote:Fields of Gold--Sting (I'll stand with you, Cabiria)

Excellent! Join me in loving the "used to be cool but now is oh so very lite rock and cheesy" Sting! Yeah, it's played in hundreds of waiting rooms, and it is, well, for lack of a better term, schmoopy-but I like it.

And Is This Love by Bob Marley? Genius. Adore that one. Excellent choice.

All this love song talk has me thinking about my sad high school career of making mix-tapes for a couple of crushes. Had to pick the perfect song- the perfect theme- and then he would know. So silly in retrospect, but at the time, of critical importance! :D
Cabiria
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:36 am

Cabiria wrote:All this love song talk has me thinking about my sad high school career of making mix-tapes for a couple of crushes. Had to pick the perfect song- the perfect theme- and then he would know. So silly in retrospect, but at the time, of critical importance! :D

at least you stopped in high school :cry:.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Carolian on Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:38 am

keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Cabiria wrote:All this love song talk has me thinking about my sad high school career of making mix-tapes for a couple of crushes. Had to pick the perfect song- the perfect theme- and then he would know. So silly in retrospect, but at the time, of critical importance! :D

For some reason, I thought I was the only one who did this.

Nowadays, I can't find anyone I'm willing to lose a CD-R over. Sad, sad times.
The whole world's wild at heart and weird on top.

This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.
Carolian
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Seppuku on Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:19 am

TonyWilson wrote:Wild Horses - The Rolling Stones

I'm as big a fan of The Stones as anyone, but this is one song that has been improved IMO, and that was The Flying Burrito Brothers' version (Gram Parsons' band). Damn does his voice make me feel sad n lonesome.

Wow, I didn't think this thread would be such a downer. I guess there's a lot of folks here who've been burnt somewhere down the line, and have forgotten that old adage: "It's better to have loved and lost...". I like to take all emotions in my stride, rather than block 'em out. Which is why Love is such a powerful thing for me, because it's not a positive force- it's every feeling wrapped into one, and sometimes it's hard to know what to make of it. Sometimes it can make you feel hollowed-out and empty, but the fact is underneath that shell you're boiling-over. And damn if it doesn't mess with your ability to make decisions- how many people have fucked with their life while high on love?

I get Zombie's point about people feeling obliged to be in love, and be tied to somebody else all the time. I remember writing a song about it a few years ago, with a line that went something like: "I feel like half a man when you're not around, but before I met you I was twice the man I am now".

Got no solutions, I just like those songs a lot.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Seppuku on Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:23 am

Carolian wrote:For some reason, I thought I was the only one who did this.

Nope I did this exact same thing... In fact I used to write pretty bad love songs and record them too, but more often than not the girls would prefer it if I'd bought them an album by whoever was scaling the charts at the time.

This all reminds me of Nick Hornby's High Fidelity.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby The Vicar on Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:22 pm

Almost any song by Greg Lake ( Lend Your Love to Me Tonight, C'est La Vie, Still...You Turn Me On, Closer to Believing) works.

Running Up That Hill - Kate Bush

With or Without You - U2 ( one of the greatest songs, period)

All I Know - Art Garfunkel

Strange Kind of Woman - Deep Purple ( ah, kinky love is the best...)

Mail Order Annie/A Better Place to Be - H'arry Chapin
( not traditional love songs, but songs of love nonetheless - & among Chapin's finest)

Barely Breathing - Duncan Sheik ( yoyos & condoms...but nice song)
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby The Vicar on Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:32 pm

Merde - I nearly forgot Salisbury, by Uriah Heep. WTF, you say? And well you might, if you haven't heard it. Took up nearly all of side two of the Salisbury album, feeaturing a full orchestra, some sweet base lines & the best guitar solo work from Mick Box ever. Has some great, romantic vocals from the late David Byron in the beginning, middle & end. ( Had one of the most stunning experiences in my life with this on the speakers, so sentiment might be clouding judgement here. Still, quite a lovely, long love song.)

Honorable mention to Isaac Hayes version of The Look of Love ( by Bacharach, not ABC)
The Vicar

Postby The Vicar on Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:36 pm

Carolian wrote:
keepcoolbutcare wrote:[qu ote="Cabiria"]
All this love song talk has me thinking about my sad high school career of making mix-tapes for a couple of crushes. Had to pick the perfect song- the perfect theme- and then he would know. So silly in retrospect, but at the time, of critical importance! :D

"For some reason, I thought I was the only one who did this.

Nowadays, I can't find anyone I'm willing to lose a CD-R over. Sad, sad times.[/quote]"

Another member of the club. Maybe we should get jackets made.
The Vicar

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:43 pm

The Vicar wrote:
Carolian wrote:
keepcoolbutca re wrote:[qu ote="Cabiria"]

For some reason, I thought I was the only one who did this.

Another member of the club. Maybe we should get jackets made.

On a couple of occasions I wrote a letter, made up entirely of lines from songs that were spliced together to read perfectly well as a standard letter.

At the time I thought I'd found an excellent way to show my love...all that time spent etc. Now I look back on it...I'm not so sure the whole point wasn't to just show off what a smart arse I could be if I wanted to...

Ah self-doubt my old, friend - pull up a chair and sit with me a while why don't you?

This one is Cheesey as Hell...but I guess most Love Songs are, so what the Hey! It sure gave me Superhuman-level Brooding Powers from the age of 16 until about 19....Romeo and Juliet...Dire Straits. "You can fall for Chains of Silver, you can fall for Chains of Gold...you can fall for pretty strangers...and the promises they hold..."

And whilst I'm in the process of shedding whatever dignity I had left to me....I used to really like Hazard...even though I've never been framed by a small-town sherriff for the murder of the only girl I ever loved (it was the deputy in my case, which is why I shot him...but thats a whole other song entirely...) 8)

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:28 pm

Doc Holliday wrote

"On a couple of occasions I wrote a letter, made up entirely of lines from songs that were spliced together to read perfectly well as a standard letter.

At the time I thought I'd found an excellent way to show my love...all that time spent etc. Now I look back on it...I'm not so sure the whole point wasn't to just show off what a smart arse I could be if I wanted to..."

Naw, I wouldn't say that. Edmond Rostand wrote a very good little piece ( Cyrano) about effectively wooing a woman with some one else's words - I think even olde Bill Shakespeare did likewise. Be of good cheer, my man. You're in grand literary company, at least.
The Vicar

Postby The Vicar on Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:33 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote;
"I hope you won't mock me too much, I will always think "The Point of No Return" from Phantom of the Opera is one of the sexiest love songs. But it has to be done right and not many stage performers ever get it. The movie version was sexcellent."

Not at all. Some of the most wonderful love songs ever written have come out of the musical theatre - Not A Day Goes By, by Stephen Sondheim, is a sterling example. Or Johanna, by the same author, from Sweeney Todd. ( well, Sondheim is a bloody genius after all) Or Maria, from West Side Story ( that Sondheim guy again).
The Vicar

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:36 pm

hey - thanks for the kind words Vic. I'm gonna go with your take on it!

I don't know if these strictly qualify...but there are four tracks on the Blade Runner LP that have served me well across the years....but can I remember their names...no of course not.

No...no...not "One More Kiss Dear..." - definitely not that one.

I'm pretty sure it would be tracks 3, 5, 7 and then the one with "Tears in the rain..." on it.

One of the ones above might be an error and should have been track 4. My head hurts.

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:14 pm

Cabiria wrote:Deutscher Girls - Adam and the Ants (ok, not really a love song, but I like it)

i love you
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:39 pm

The Vicar wrote:Lady Sheridan wrote;
"I hope you won't mock me too much, I will always think "The Point of No Return" from Phantom of the Opera is one of the sexiest love songs. But it has to be done right and not many stage performers ever get it. The movie version was sexcellent."

Not at all. Some of the most wonderful love songs ever written have come out of the musical theatre - Not A Day Goes By, by Stephen Sondheim, is a sterling example. Or Johanna, by the same author, from Sweeney Todd. ( well, Sondheim is a bloody genius after all) Or Maria, from West Side Story ( that Sondheim guy again).

Whats that one from Les Mis? "On my own....without you here be-side me.." Great song.

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:12 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:
The Vicar wrote:Lady Sheridan wrote;

Whats that one from Les Mis? "On my own....without you here be-side me.." Great song.

On My Own. Saw the Broadway production of this sucker, and whilst I'm a Sondheim worshipper, the technical aspects of Les Miz blew me away. Damned impressive. And some nice tunes, of which On My Own is a real standout.

As far as bitterseet love songs go, Send in the Clowns ( although beaten to death by just about everyone) stills rates. Judy Collin's version was nice, but hearing Len Cariou & ( I can't remember her name) doing it on the Broadway cast CD was an eye opener. Irony & regret. Hate to sound like Eeyore, but "sounds like Friday night at my house...."
The Vicar

Postby Lady Sheridan on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:17 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:Hey Lady S - heh, I woulda answered last night, but I was too busy running to the airport and trying to smuggle myself on a plane to Denver :D :wink:

Yet it was the one track on that album that would just send my head spinning off into a trance. Would take me right out of whatever moment I was in..great track, good to see it get a mention! There was another song from an earlier album (could have been WAR maybe?) called something like HeartLights....quite short, but the music on that had a similar effect on me too.

And don't even get me started on cool Avatars Milady: Val Kilmer is cool...but he's no Lara Croft...you smooth talker you! :lol:

8)

Lara and Doc Holliday, that's like a match made in fan fic heaven. One day I'm going to log on and she'll be missing, off admiring his six-shooter no doubt... ;)

It wasn't "Two Hearts Beat As One"? was it? That one is really long though. They really were hypnotic in those early days..."Drowning Man" is another good one, I always considered it a love song though it's supposedly one of their religious ones.

This is turning into a U2 love fest, we're going to be shunned!
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Lady Sheridan on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:21 pm

Cabiria wrote:
Lady Sheridan wrote:Fields of Gold--Sting (I'll stand with you, Cabiria)

Excellent! Join me in loving the "used to be cool but now is oh so very lite rock and cheesy" Sting! Yeah, it's played in hundreds of waiting rooms, and it is, well, for lack of a better term, schmoopy-but I like it.

And Is This Love by Bob Marley? Genius. Adore that one. Excellent choice.

Oh, it IS one of those waiting room songs, isn't it? Just like Chris Isaac's "Wicked Game" which is another one of those embarressing mentions. There's nothing like hearing one of those while your sitting in a doctor's office, and you start feeling a bit mushy, and then it's off to get stuck with needles and show your bum!!

I've always thought "Is this Love?" would be the perfect wedding dance song. It would probably make everyone start slamming back mai-tais though...!
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:33 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote: 8)

Lara and Doc Holliday, that's like a match made in fan fic heaven. One day I'm going to log on and she'll be missing, off admiring his six-shooter no doubt... ;)

It wasn't "Two Hearts Beat As One"? was it? That one is really long though. They really were hypnotic in those early days..."Drowning Man" is another good one, I always considered it a love song though it's supposedly one of their religious ones.

This is turning into a U2 love fest, we're going to be shunned!

ISHAMEILASH...I've just been spanked off the Interesting movie facts/mistakes thread by JL as well! but let the U2 appreciation society continue...I will have my 800th post before I get B4nn3d goddammit! :wink:

I cheated and popped to their site. I was getting confused between Red Light (War) and Heartland (R&H). But Heartland is the one I'm thinking of most. At this point I confess - its been mostly Achtung Baby! and All That you Can't Leave Behind that have got the airtime in my home in the past 12 months. time to dust off WAR and R&H I think...with a tasty Rioja...ah! my night is taking shape!

Lara and Doc! They'd spend 6 months out of 12 Raiding Tombs for artefacts....and the other 6 gambling their profits away at the Polka table. Except they'd always win :D :wink:

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:36 pm

Ahem...

"Inna Your Eyes, eh?" - Peter Gabriel
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:37 pm

Oh anna dinna I tell a you two putzes a to go anna get a the room??? Holy crappa! I feel like a the goddamn Chuck Woolery onna the Love a Connection or a something!

:wink:
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Lady Sheridan on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:45 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:
Lady Sheridan wrote:ISHAMEILASH...I've just been spanked off the Interesting movie facts/mistakes thread by JL as well! but let the U2 appreciation society continue...I will have my 800th post before I get B4nn3d goddammit! :wink:

I cheated and popped to their site. I was getting confused between Red Light (War) and Heartland (R&H). But Heartland is the one I'm thinking of most. At this point I confess - its been mostly Achtung Baby! and All That you Can't Leave Behind that have got the airtime in my home in the past 12 months. time to dust off WAR and R&H I think...with a tasty Rioja...ah! my night is taking shape!

Lara and Doc! They'd spend 6 months out of 12 Raiding Tombs for artefacts....and the other 6 gambling their profits away at the Polka table. Except they'd always win :D :wink:

If they didn't, they'd just steal it back. Bullets would fly, either way!!

"Heartland" is gorgeous. It was apparently supposed to be on "The Joshua Tree" and they cut it and put it on R&H instead. I think that's a shame, JT is surreal to play driving through the desert, and "Heartland" would have topped it. Maybe I'll just burn a road copy doing just that.

I had to do a presentation on the American West for a history class, and I used that song. I don't think anyone really appreciated it though which was disappointing.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:47 pm

Dino..you done me again. My heart sank when I saw the name appear on the thread :wink: . But that Cusack pic is too funny...too funny by half. so I feel chastened...but at the same time I'm looking at the floor, hoping you not noticing the IPAMPILASH that I'm struggling to keep to myself....

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lady Sheridan on Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:06 pm

Ok, Dino, but just for that, I'm going Broadway on you!! ;)

I'm so warmed by the Broadway love in this thread...I agree with all the choices and will add that "South Pacific" is really chock-full of good love songs. I think they really proved how sexy and well done they were in the recent tv remake.

And just because I feel like it, here's MP3 files of the Phantom one I was talking about for anyone not familiar with it. This is from the movie soundtrack. It's two files because the song starts at the very end of "Don Juan."

For anyone who hasn't seen the play or film, here's the context. The Phantom writes an opera called "Don Juan Triumphant" and they stage it, starring Christine, to trap him. He kills the guy playing Don Juan and sneaks onstage in the costume to sing the song to her. Overcome with emotion and lust, he breaks down and sings Raoul's love song, "All I Ask Of You" to her. Cruelly, she then unmasks him to the audience. I think it's very sexy and so crushingly heartbreaking. It rarely comes off on the stage because they're often strutting it up, the movie did it perfectly. It added the twist of having Christine know it was him the whole time and being quite seduced by him.

I tell all my guy friends if they wish to understand women to watch this part of the movie. They refuse. They are still single.

Hopefully this will work, I haven't done YSI before.

Don Juan:
http://s12.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2MWF1HC8Y8YV925MXNLNYAWT8G

Point of No Return:
http://s12.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2TW99YG4DBYI33CL8IPU15XV2J
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:09 pm

Dignity - Deacon Blue...

Are you Lonesome Tonight - if by love you mean the romantic type...if you mean unconditional however, then Don't Cry Daddy destroys me every single time....Elvis, naturally

Forever in Blue Jeans - Neil Diamond (I should be ashamed but I'm not)

These Arms of Mine - Otis Redding.

Wicked Game, Chris Isaak.....but I'm cheating here because it was "Wild At Heart" which cemented that tunes place in my permanent collection.

Ron Mexico is Dead...long live the Man In Suit....Good Night You Gentlemen! 8)

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby JAGUART on Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:27 pm

I was in mad love once, and this was it's song. - JAGUART

Curve- Frozen

Link to lyrics...

http://www.songlyrics101.com/lyrics/C/Curve%20Lyrics/Frozen%20Lyrics
The last time that I trusted a dame was in Paris in 1940. She said she was going out to get a bottle of wine. Two hours later, the Germans marched into France.
JAGUART
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:52 pm

Kilgore wrote:
St. Alphonzo wrote:
Brocktune wrote:
St. Alphonzo wrote:
Kilgore wrote:'God Only Knows' - The Beach Boys

Not only one of the best love songs ever (and certainly the most honest... it even starts with the line "I may not always love you") but also one of the best songs period.

i would have to agree with you. the other one of the beach boys' that comes to mind for the same reasons is "wouldnt it be nice". it seems like a happy song on the outside, but if you listen closer, it depressing as fuck. that song rips my heart out everytime i hear it. wilson really wrote some emotional gems in the beach boys later years.

Amen. Wilson is fantastic. It's too bad he went off the rails.

I don't know if it's that bad...'crazy as a shithouse rat' is a lot more origiinal than 'unexplained suicide', 'found on bus under mysterious circumstances' or 'now releasing Mercury Rising'.

He is a survivor, though (remember: he was severely abused as a child), and a genius. Also a funtional acid casualty. That original Smiley Smile is completely insane. But even some of the more innocuous and fluffy melodies -- like "Good Vibrations" -- seem somehow deeply sinister to me... haunting in a bizarre kind of innocent and tortured way...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby CthulhuKid on Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:13 pm

"Nothing At All"- Alison Krause

"You say it best, when you say nothing at all."

But only when she sings it. the 8 million country/western versions suck balls!

Thanks for throwing "In Your Eyes" out there Dino! Awesome song, despite the fact that it's associated with that super cheesy scene (which I'm a sucker for, I'll admit). "Come Talk To Me" by Peter Gabriel is beautiful too. "My soul is so hungry, come on, come talk to me."
CthulhuKid
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:28 pm

Minnie Ripperton's 'Lovin' You' is a lovely little ditty despite it being a ridiculously cliched love song.

On a more base level Jayne County's 'Toilet Love' and '(If You Don't Wanna Fuck Me then) Fuck Off' are fun (though your loved one may not think so..)
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby Cabiria on Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:29 pm

Brocktune wrote:
Cabiria wrote:Deutscher Girls - Adam and the Ants (ok, not really a love song, but I like it)

i love you

Oh, my... I think very highly of you too. :oops:

Lady Sheridan wrote:I've always thought "Is this Love?" would be the perfect wedding dance song. It would probably make everyone start slamming back mai-tais though...!

You say that like it's a bad thing!?! :twisted:

And your thoughts on Phantom- excellent. I'd second the Broadway love- there are so many choices there, from Oklahoma, My Fair Lady... now I need to pull out all those cds for a listen! Damn the neighbors! It's Offoffoffoffoffoffoff Broadway here at Cabiria's place!
Cabiria
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:05 pm

Crimson and Clover - Both versions, but I prefer Joan's to Tommy James...

Heart and Soul - T'Pau

Nobody Know's What Goin' on in My Mind But Me - The Chiffons

Happy - The Wrens - Really, all hopeless romantics and those into great indie rock should have this song. Best song I heard in 2004, by a longshot.

Any Way That You Want Me - Evie Sands (soul) and Spiritualized (indie shoegazing)...just fuckin' beautiful, either way.

Son of a Precher Man - Dusty Springfield

What a Wonderful World - Sam Cooke

Bonita Applebum - A Tribe Called Quest

Left and Right - D'Angelo ft. Method Man and Red Man. For Jay Dee, R.I.P., too young to go at 32.

My Best Friend - Annie - Written to her former (as in deceased) ex-boyfriend/DJ...it's sad, wounded, achy and beautiful all rolled into a sugar coated (bitter) pill.

Tender - Blur - C'mon, it's Valentines Day!

B-A-B-Y - Carla Thomas

Love to Love You Baby - Donna Summer

The Killing Moon - Echo and the Bunnymen - "Fates...up against your will...through the thick and thin...you will wait until...you give yourself to him..." Swoon. Another great back seat of the car blow job song, which bring up...

Fade Into You - Mazzy Star

Tiger Lilly - Luna

A.M. 180 - Grandaddy - So beautiful, you might've heard it during the shopping spree in 28 Days Later.

Teenage F.B.I. - Guided By Voices - "Someone tell me why/I do the things that I don't want to do/ when you're around me/ I'm somebody else"...Oh Robert Pollard...dick pants, drunken carroling, and sometimes, sometimes, beautiful music.

If it Wasn't For You - Handsome Boy Modeling School (Thanks Brock!)

I Want You Back - Jackson 5

What is it This Time - Jamie Lidell - You will never believe, after hearing his voice, that Jamie Lidell is a scrawny 'lil honky. Best neo-soul album of the past year, hands down.

Don't Stop Honey - R.L. Burnside

Trailer Trash - Modest Mouse

Anyone Else But You - The Moldy Peaches - "...I don't see what anyone can see in anyone else, but you..." The song is so fuckin' simple, yet utterly powerful, I ended a relationship based on it's lyrics. Stupid move in the long run, but still a knockout anti-folk, pro-love tune.

Gigantic - The Pixies

I Thank You - Sam and Dave

One More Hour - Sleater-Kinney - "Oh you've got the darkest eyes..."
should 'prolly be an anti-love song, but I love that hook...

Kool Thing - Sonic Youth - Not exactly a love song, but play this for me, and I'm all yours...

Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover - Sophie B. Hawkins

Caress Me Down - Sublime - Best song they ever did.

Ana Ng & Birdhouse in Your Soul - They Might Be Giants

I'm the Man Who Loves You - Wilco

This Heart's On Fire - Wolf Parade

Nowhere Near - Yo La Tengo - "Everyone is here...but you're nowhere near..." Heartbreaking.

Legal Disclaimer:

If you make a mix out of this and end up gettin' laid, you owe me...big time. You can make monetary donations to Omaago Umbagoo...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:11 pm

keepcoolbutcare wrote:Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover - Sophie B. Hawkins

I used to think that all the time, when the video for this was on.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:13 pm

and we both have something in common...our lust for women!
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:16 pm

[cheesy] I only lust for one woman, and I'm married to her.[/cheesy]
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:17 pm

keep Sophie away from her!
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:40 pm

I was considering posting some more choices, but after reading the ones I'd sent up & some of what everyone else is posting I came to realise that I may be the oldest poster here, posting laxative shit many of you have likely not heard. Damn. You find out you're old when you recognize neither the bands nor the songs being bandied about. Merde.
The Vicar

Postby Seppuku on Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:57 pm

FUTURE QUOTE:
The Vicar wrote:OK, well I quite liked that song Waltz of the New Moon by The Incredible String Band

What in God's name are you babbling on about...they sound like some dipsy hippie band. Two words: HARD CORE! Yeah, hardcore music rocks the house!

FUTURE QUOTE:
The Vicar wrote:They're kind of like hippie music, sort of like travelling minstrels

Minstrels? Damn you're older than I thought, is that the guy Kevin Costner played in Robin Hood?

FUTURE QUOTE:
The Vicar wrote: Well, you do know there were a few other versions of Robin Hood before Costner's one right? And minstrels are like travelling musicians/jesters

OK, OK, alright already, man you oldies do like the sound of your own voice. And next you're going to tell me that Costner didn't invent the Western...

FUTURE QUOTE:
The Vicar wrote: Image

Yep, I still got it.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby The Vicar on Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:51 am

Cute.

I might have come up with something witty, pithy or &*^$#@ to say, but when some one puts Roy Fucking Batty in their sig, I'll just weep silently into my metamuscil.

Here's the part I love; 20 years from now, you'll be the silly sod saying WTF...in time, every generation's music passeth into Oldie Radio Land. Ain't that a kick in the nutz?

(where's that frakking lighter gone to?)
The Vicar

Postby DrillerKiller on Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:44 pm

Bootsy Collins and Bernie Worrell - 'You got me wide open'

I do love a good love song involving nasal drip.
Wellycome....in jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam
DrillerKiller
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:04 pm

I Wish You Were Here -- Incubus

You Shook Me All Night Long -- AC/DC

The Wedding Song -- Charlie Robison

Loving County -- Charlie Robison

Love Means Never Having to Say You're Hungry -- Charlie Robison

Love -- Roger Creager

Brown Eyed Girl -- Van Morrison
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:32 pm

I'll add to my list:

Angel -- Jimi Hendrix

Foxy Lady -- Jimi Hendrix
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby St. Alphonzo on Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:32 am

I forgot this one, and my wife will disown me if I don't mention it:

"I Only Have Eyes For You" - The Flamingos

I love this song, and chose it to be the "first dance" song at my wedding. The damn thing is 50 years old now, and is still an emotional masterpiece
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

PreviousNext

Return to Music