Dragonball Z

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Dragonball Z

Postby colonel_lugz on Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:24 pm

Hands up who likes Dragonball Z?..........(Vegetas lone arm waves franticly in the distance)

I fucking love DBZ, and to a lesser extent DB, and I dont really like GT that much at all. I just wanted to express my love for this wonderful cartoon.....Cartoon!! I hear you say!! Surely you mean the comic????........NO, I never got into the comics, my only exposure to DBZ has been through the Cartoon Network (argueably the best channel ever!)

So.....those of you who know of what I speak i here by invite you to join me in the act of posting about all things Dragonball. Whos your fave character? Best ep? where the hell is the live action movie?? who would play which parts??

KAAAAAAAMMEEE................HAAAAAAMMMEEEEEE..................HAAAAAAAAA!!!
Last edited by colonel_lugz on Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:34 pm

I also love DBZ - although most of the episodes I've seen were in spanish, with a friend translating on-the-fly. This is about 8 years ago, but it is indeed an awesome cartoon, and I have to say, the voices on the spanish one were loads better.

Plus, it's Vegeta, you putz.....

ETA: and the ep where he first turns Super Saiyan is my favourite
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby CthulhuKid on Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:02 pm

I was really into DBZ, but lost it with GT.

Goku has always been my fav. I'm a sucker for a moronic hero I guess. :-)

Fav ep? I always liked the Kid Buu episodes.
CthulhuKid
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Vegeta on Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:05 pm

Owww.... Owwww... Owwwww.... (waving arm frantically)

I am about exactly like you Colonel. I like Dragonball, love Dragonball Z, and never really watched Dragonball GT.

I was hoping for a live action film, but Matrix:Revolutions stole the look I think with the end fight between Neo and Agent Smith. I remember sitting in the theatre thinking "that's soooooo Dragonball Z".

As far as favorite characters, well, duh, Vegeta of course. But I love Goku too, because he's such an idiot sometimes. And who can't love Mr. Satan! Or good Buu.

Favorite episodes, now that's harder. I might just go with sagas. I love the Trunks saga, Andriod saga, the Great Sayiaman saga is just silly, I love the three episodes with the Junior wolrd Martial Arts Championship pretty much til the end of the show (I know it's like 80 or 90 episodes, but I like it damnit!) My all time favorite episode might be the last episode of the Cell Games saga where Trunks returns to the future and kills all the andriods and cell.

ImageImage
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby colonel_lugz on Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:07 pm

Piccollo was always my fave, but i felt thet left him behind towards the end, he was meant to be badass but became the new guardian instead.

My fave saga has to be the Cell Games, followed by Garlic Jr saga.
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby colonel_lugz on Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:15 pm

Vegeta wrote:
I was hoping for a live action film, but Matrix:Revolutions stole the look I think with the end fight between Neo and Agent Smith. I remember sitting in the theatre thinking "that's soooooo Dragonball Z".

thats EXACTLY what I thought when i watched that!!!!, great minds and all that, eh?

There was a lot of rumour flying around a couple of years ago saying Roloan Emerich was going to direct a live action version, a fake teaser poster even emerged which got me really excited. But,alas, no more has ever been mentiond. I honestly believe it could totally work as a movie, there is just so much to play with. When I eventually make it as a film maker thats gonna be on my list of things to do, but I hope someone beats me to it cos i'd love to watch it.

Who would you cast for which roles?, Bill Goldberg would make the best Nappa (it was rumoured that he was gonna play him)
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:21 pm

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:I also love DBZ - although most of the episodes I've seen were in spanish, with a friend translating on-the-fly.

You know, I remember a the time back onna the set of a Kong, when a Jeff Bridges, he gave a me some spanish-onna-the-fly... I dinna get a to sleep at alla for like a the 3 nights!. Goddamn putz, he told a me it was a the sedative, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Vegeta on Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:39 pm

colonel_lugz wrote:
Vegeta wrote:

thats EXACTLY what I thought when i watched that!!!!, great minds and all that, eh?

There was a lot of rumour flying around a couple of years ago saying Roloan Emerich was going to direct a live action version, a fake teaser poster even emerged which got me really excited. But,alas, no more has ever been mentiond. I honestly believe it could totally work as a movie, there is just so much to play with. When I eventually make it as a film maker thats gonna be on my list of things to do, but I hope someone beats me to it cos i'd love to watch it.

Who would you cast for which roles?, Bill Goldberg would make the best Nappa (it was rumoured that he was gonna play him)

I think Goldberg would be perfect for Nappa. If that's the saga they would want to do.

Tell you what, in my head that would be a very difficult movie to cast...
Sean Astin as Krillen?
Hugh Jackman as Vegeta?
?????????????? as Goku?
?????????????? as Picollo?
?????????????? as Gohan? (young or adult?)
?????????????? as Yamcha?
?????????????? as Tien?
?????????????? as Bulma?
?????????????? as Chi Chi?
?????????????? as Goten?
?????????????? as Trunks?

Who should the baddie be? That would make a big difference in ages of the characters (especially Gohan, Goten, and Trunks)
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby colonel_lugz on Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:50 pm

Jackman is far too tall for Vegeta (to tall for Logan too if you really want to know), Vegeta is the ultimate angry short man so you'd need an actor who would reflect that. But as far as casting goes in general would you go for the american acotors to make it something more 'Hollywood' or go with Asian actors with a few big names?? or just a groupf of unknowns from all areas of the globe?? the last one is my personnal choice as that is what the 'Z' fighters are all about.

I would like to see them go from the start with the Saiyan Saga, and I would emit certain characters like Chow Tzu (spelling?)

Not to sure about Astin as Krillin, i really like the character and was a bit miffed that they turned him into a complete joke of a man towards the end.
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Vegeta on Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:00 pm

colonel_lugz wrote:Jackman is far too tall for Vegeta (to tall for Logan too if you really want to know), Vegeta is the ultimate angry short man so you'd need an actor who would reflect that. But as far as casting goes in general would you go for the american acotors to make it something more 'Hollywood' or go with Asian actors with a few big names?? or just a groupf of unknowns from all areas of the globe?? the last one is my personnal choice as that is what the 'Z' fighters are all about.

I would like to see them go from the start with the Saiyan Saga, and I would emit certain characters like Chow Tzu (spelling?)

Not to sure about Astin as Krillin, i really like the character and was a bit miffed that they turned him into a complete joke of a man towards the end.

I think you'd have to get like a midget wrestler to play Krillen then. He's pretty small, like kid sized.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:51 pm

I like when things actually occur on DBZ which can be few and far between.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby cinephile2000 on Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:01 pm

I love this show and also was totally thinking that was goku and vegeta going at tiin the matrix. I think a movie would use the Freeza saaga. But that also introduces a whole new planet so I don't know. It would be an awesome movie.
Just remember, your special like everyone else.
cinephile2000
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby colonel_lugz on Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:33 pm

Dragonball Z in a nutshell

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view.php?id=31681

you'll love this Vegeta!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Al Shut on Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:42 pm

I always liked Dragonball more than Dragonball Z, especially the tournaments.

Any live action Dragonball should be helmed by Stephen Chow. He could do the right mix between silly humor and over the top cartoon action.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby colonel_lugz on Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Al_Shut wrote:I always liked Dragonball more than Dragonball Z, especially the tournaments.

Any live action Dragonball should be helmed by Stephen Chow. He could do the right mix between silly humor and over the top cartoon action.

WOW!, you are bang on there!!! Stephen Chow has the perfect style for this knid of thing, cant wait for Kung Fu Hustle 2!!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Vegeta on Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:49 pm

colonel_lugz wrote:Dragonball Z in a nutshell

you'll love this Vegeta!

IMPAMPILASH!!!!! That was too damn funny, and fairly true.

Looks like I die (for the first time, that is) on Monday nights Dragonball Z on Cartoon Network 9:30 pm CT. The episode is "Death of a Prince", pretty good for the uninitiated!
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Vegeta on Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:50 pm

Al_Shut wrote:I always liked Dragonball more than Dragonball Z, especially the tournaments.

I agree! He would own that movie!
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby cap on Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:13 pm

Vegeta wrote:
colonel_lugz wrote:Dragonba ll Z in a nutshell

you'll love this Vegeta!

Looks like I die (for the first time, that is) on Monday nights Dragonball Z on Cartoon Network 9:30 pm CT. The episode is "Death of a Prince", pretty good for the uninitiated!

That is nuts. I will start having to watch it more intently. Ignoring the long pregnant pauses with nothing going on.

Seriously I will start watching it more.

Ambition - The journey of a thousand miles sometimes ends very, very badly
cap
AIRWOLF

Postby Al Shut on Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:26 pm

Vegeta wrote:
Al_Shut wrote:Any live action Dragonball should be helmed by Stephen Chow. He could do the right mix between silly humor and over the top cartoon action.

I agree! He would own that movie!

One the other hand while the style of his movies wolud be a perfect match for Dragonball, I can't really see him playing a role in it. Most of them require a ridiculous amount of muscles.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Vegeta on Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:55 pm

Vegeta wrote:
colonel_lugz wrote:Dragonba ll Z in a nutshell

you'll love this Vegeta!

Looks like Cartoon Network is showing that episode tonight instead of last night.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby minstrel on Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:04 pm

I've only ever watched maybe one episode of DBZ. I didn't like it. I prefer actual animation to "drawing a picture and panning and zooming a camera over it while doing funny things with lighting".

I don't like modern anime at all for the same reason.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby dislexsickNik on Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:07 pm

I only ever got Briefly into DBZ but i know alot of peeps who are crazy on it.

i do like some of the merch that is out for it a freind bought me a GoKu inflatable punch bag once that was cool
dislexsickNik
STEAK-A-BABY

Dragonball Z

Postby bastard_robo on Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:58 am

MUCH DBZ LOVE HERE!

Watched every episode! (except for the end of GT.. lost interest by then)

But never has there been a show with this insane style of fighting in the animation. Nothing has yet to live up to it.

BTW.. has anyone picked up the SEASON 1 or 2 sets yet? Im curious to see how much they put back in to the series that was edited out so poorly.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby MonkeyM666 on Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:42 am

Oh man, I LOVE DBZ! Dragon Ball was ok... and GT I never bothered with, but know the story well. It has to be the greatest display of episodic padding ever seen! I mean it was like 8 eps for Goku to become SS for teh first time. I mean who has the skill to do that and not make the audience bored??!?!?

I LOVE IT SO MUCH!! But I have one bad thing to say about it. I've never seen the full Cell Saga (I’ve seen up to where Cell is fighting Vegeta for the first time)! Or any of the Tournament Saga (Buu) :( I own all of the rest in DBZ but alas... I haven't been treated to the delights of Buu.

I have a soft spot for Brolly for some reason, as well as Turtle….ahhh… and the Monkey Magic nimbus :D So many things to love. My absolute favourite is King Kai! And Gergory…. Love those guys :D:D:D

MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby colonel_lugz on Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:46 am

Dude!

You HAVE to finish the Cell Saga!!

Perfect Cell Vs Gohan is the best fight EVAR

It is literally the BEST Saga!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:34 pm

I will...

I'll be hunting for a copy this weekend... I'd forgot my love until this very moment :D
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Dragonball Z

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:28 am

The end of the Cell games is perhaps the best in the overall story! Gohan going apeshit mad over the death of 16 and going SS 2 is perhaps the high point of the series!

The Buu saga is great too, but so much happens that it feels a bit clutterd for a bit.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby kid on an escalator on Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:44 am

I've only read the manga because I can't stand the anime. Sooooo slow and they add too much crap that shouldn't be there.

The best saga is Cell by far imo. Toriyama should have ended it after that. Buu saga is kinda meh in comparison.
kid on an escalator
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Vegeta on Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:52 am

As I said earlier in this thread (like a year and a half earlier) the end of the Cell saga is awesome. The fighting is amazing and the very last episode is such a nice capper (future Trunks finishing the job in the future!)
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby King Psyz on Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:03 pm

I have gotten back into it recently by playing the latest Budokai game for PS2. Something like 120 characters to unlock and they smartly make you play through the full story in chronological order to unlock everything.

Took a few days of marathon playing just to unlock SS Goku, now everyone crumbles before me in tournament :P
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Re: Dragonball Z

Postby papalazeru on Thu May 06, 2010 3:49 pm

I'm just rewatching through Dragonball and Dragonball Z. When I say rewatching - I mean Back2Back, literally. I went through Dragonball in like 2 weeks (150 odd eps)...and now I've been ploughing through Z like a Destructo Disc through butter.

The one thing that bugs me....Chi Chi, lovely woman, but why since she married Goku did she turn all housewifey?

It's such a waste of a strong female role? You have a woman who literally wants to fight her prospective husband to get him, and when she does...does she ever understand than him or her son? NEVER!!!!

Two of the hardest fucking people in the known universe and yet she wishes to impose her will on both of them for a normal existence.

I'm sure after that sentence, there are quite a few men turning their eyes down and to the right with an inner monologue going 'Story of my life'.

Why can she never understand what is going on? I know it's comedic value and everything but it really falls short. I suppose I'm more disappointed that, given that it's a kids show and it has a good level of maturity behind it (it deals with death and the foreboding of possible mortal extinction - even though they do come back a few times), why the hell would you have such a character? It doesn't make sense to me. Surely she would understand at least some of their motivations. CHRIST! She married a fucking fighter?!?!?! He puts his life on the line regularly to save the planet and the universe!!!!
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Return to Animation