The Flaming Lips - At War With the Mystics

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

The Flaming Lips - At War With the Mystics

Postby Tubbs Tattsyrup on Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:55 pm

It's not out in stores until April (according to Amazon), but it is already...how does one say...available, elsewhere. Has anyone here listened to it?

IMO: the first track, "Yeah Yeah Yeah Song", sounds eerily like Wayne Coyne channeling Andy Kaufman. But that's just me. Best track would be either Free Radicals or My Cosmic Autumn Rebellion. or It Overtakes Me.

Not as good as Yoshimi, I'd say (not as unified in sound either) - but still worth a listen.

Blee-argh!
On YouTube or Vimeo.
Tubbs Tattsyrup
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Heard it

Postby Apple Scruff on Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:16 pm

Yeah, I was able to check that out, and I really like it.

It takes a listen or two of just saying "this is wierd", but once you get through that layer and start really listening to the music, its great.

Yes, its not as brilliant as Yoshimi, but what is? Its a strong follow-up. "Mr. Ambulance Driver" is the best song I've heard in a long time. I like the content on a lot of the songs. I'm not usually a lyrics listener, but the songs really do have a point and say good, interesting things. I don't take it as making a statement about Bush, but I couldn't help but hear a lot of political statements. Good ones, too. All very positive and intelligent. "The Wand" is also a favorite.

I SUGGEST EVERYONE BUY THIS when it comes out. I will.
You are great.
You could really whup a polar bear's ass.
Apple Scruff
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:19 am

I liked some of Yoshimi, but it suffered from being too pondering and screechy in places. Look forward to hearing this.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby horace on Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:38 pm

I heard the song off of the PASTE magazine, it was good. Similar though the singing was a little different. I liked it. I doubt it will be anything less of fantastic.
horace
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Vegeta on Wed May 10, 2006 8:12 pm

Maybe it's my lack of condition:
But At War with the Mystics is a little underwhelming after a few listens. I am a huge fan of The soft Bulletin and Yoshimi, so I will definetly give it another chance... but so far it's... :? .
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu May 11, 2006 2:24 pm

I actually prefer it to Yoshimi, which had some excellent tracks but for a lot of the time I found unlistenable. This grows on me a bit more.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: The Flaming Lips - At War With the Mystics

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:44 pm

The Flaming Lips next album is to be a track-for-track remake of The Dark Side of the Moon.

The Flaming Lips have already recorded a follow-up to “Embryonic.” The band will release a track-by-track interpretation of Pink Floyd’s “Dark Side of the Moon” in the near future, which it recorded with Stardeath and the White Dwarfs, a band that features Coyne’s nephew Dennis.

Henry Rollins and Peaches make guest appearances on the album, Coyne told the crowd during a pre-concert question-and-answer session. A Flaming Lips spokesman says the album will likely be an iTunes-only release, at least initially.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:19 pm

Fried Gold wrote:The Flaming Lips next album is to be a track-for-track remake of The Dark Side of the Moon.

The Flaming Lips have already recorded a follow-up to “Embryonic.” The band will release a track-by-track interpretation of Pink Floyd’s “Dark Side of the Moon” in the near future, which it recorded with Stardeath and the White Dwarfs, a band that features Coyne’s nephew Dennis.

Henry Rollins and Peaches make guest appearances on the album, Coyne told the crowd during a pre-concert question-and-answer session. A Flaming Lips spokesman says the album will likely be an iTunes-only release, at least initially.

Holy shit! Eagerly awaiting....
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:09 am

Fried Gold wrote:The Flaming Lips next album is to be a track-for-track remake of The Dark Side of the Moon.

Check around 30:00 in the video for a preview.
Back it up a minute or so for the interview lead-in.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:40 pm

Listening to this right now.... wow! :shock:
They kept the basic melodies of the vocal parts but have completely re-written the music!!
So far so awesome.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby theunforgettablefire on Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:44 pm

I JUST heard about this "Dark Side of the Moon" thing. It's pretty awesome!
theunforgettablefire
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Return to Music