The Official Fantasy Comic Cast Thread (All comics.........)

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

The Official Fantasy Comic Cast Thread (All comics.........)

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:28 pm

I know that all of you have dreamed of the perfect cast for all of your comic book (or any book for that matter) heroes. Well now is your chance to tell more then just your close friends. Who would you cast?

My friend in I were talking the other day about The Watchman and how Willem Dafoe has been created by the almighty to play Rorschach.

I have always wondered who would be good in The Preacher. Can't think of anyone off the top of my head. I hope you can.

Have fun.
Last edited by Bob Samonkey on Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:31 pm

Back when the rumors were circulating that Billy Zane would play Lex Luthor, I spent about a day thinking how great that would be.

Nice thread, Sir Big Hands.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:34 pm

Said it a before anna I gonna to say it again, eh?

Hugo Weaving IS a the Namor, the Sub-a-Mariner.
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:37 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Said it a before anna I gonna to say it again, eh?

Hugo Weaving IS a the Namor, the Sub-a-Mariner.

I hear a broken record... Who let Alonzo back in here?!

:wink:
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:37 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Back when the rumors were circulating that Billy Zane would play Lex Luthor, I spent about a day thinking how great that would be.

Nice thread, Sir Big Hands.

Thanks! That would have been fun. He does do good evil. I guess he was tied up in that Iraq movie. :D
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:39 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:I guess he was tied up in that Iraq movie. :D

HAHAHAHA!!
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby unikrunk on Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:49 pm

Andy Dick as Tin Tin
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby WinslowLeach on Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:51 pm

Vern Troyer as The Watcher in a What If? film.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tfactor on Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:52 pm

I've said it before but I'll say it again:

Dakota Fanning as Swan & Michael Clark Duncan as Black Frankenstien in Robert R McCammon's Swan Song. Maybe Gene Hackman as Colonel Macklin.
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:55 pm

Russell Crowe as Lord Asriel and Nicole Kidman as Mrs Coulter
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:31 pm

I also think that the Ultimate Nick Fury kinda looks like a famous movie star and that they could probably play them in a movie, but for the life of me I can't remember who it is.....Hmmm
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:32 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:I also think that the Ultimate Nick Fury kinda looks like a famous movie star and that they could probably play them in a movie, but for the life of me I can't remember who it is.....Hmmm

Bump...

Set...
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:34 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:
Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:I also think that the Ultimate Nick Fury kinda looks like a famous movie star and that they could probably play them in a movie, but for the life of me I can't remember who it is.....Hmmm

Bump...

Set...

Hush you! :wink:
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Re: The Official Fantasy Cast Thread (made by you loved by a

Postby colonel_lugz on Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:37 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:I have always wondered who would be good in The Preacher. Can't think of anyone off the top of my head. I hope you can.

Have fun.

Right, I've been pondering this myself for a bit, here we go...

Preacher: Sawyer from Lost? he's got the voice.

Cassidy: Deffinatly Guy Pearce!

Tulip: Elizabeth Shue

Saint of all Killers: hmmmm tricky, Eastwood is too cliche, maybe Big Russel crowe with some prosthetics??

Herr Starr: Patrick Stewart for sure
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:39 pm

Cassidy = Bowie
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby colonel_lugz on Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:40 pm

unikrunk wrote:Cassidy = Bowie

Bowie cant fucking act, just watch Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:52 pm

colonel_lugz wrote:
Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:I have always wondered who would be good in The Preacher. Can't think of anyone off the top of my head. I hope you can.

Have fun.

After History of Violence I moved to the Ed Harris boat.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby colonel_lugz on Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:53 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:
colonel_lugz wrote:

Have fun.

After History of Violence I moved to the Ed Harris boat.

Now you mention it.............JA!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:08 pm

Brad Pitt in Tarzan (a faithful adaptation along the lines of Greystoke:Legend of Tarzan Lord of the Apes)

Christian Bale or Mathew McConaughey as "John Carter From Mars"

Jessica Biel as Supergirl

Monica Belucci as Wonder Woman

Keira Knightley in a live action Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

Ian McShane as Dr Strange

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby tapehead on Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:48 pm

the thing about wonderwoman, and I think it's because of a slight resemblance to Lynda Carter and the red lip gloss, I keep thinking Anne Hathaway. And I was kinda hoping Joss Weadon's people were thinking the same...
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Peven on Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:04 pm

except that isn't she suposed to be mediterranean in origin? Belucci is my choice for Wonder Woman not only because she looks the part and is beyond gorgeous, but she is also Italian, and brings that mediteranean feel to the character. granted, i doubt she would ever consider the part, but then, this thread about is the FANTASY casting, right?

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby tapehead on Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:13 pm

yes indeed - come to think of it Lynda Carter was kind of white bread in that respect
Wonderman tv series had the best theme music - that shit was fonky
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:15 pm

colonel_lugz wrote:

Have fun.

Right, I've been pondering this myself for a bit, here we go...

Preacher: Sawyer from Lost? he's got the voice.

Cassidy: Deffinatly Guy Pearce!

Tulip: Elizabeth Shue

Saint of all Killers: hmmmm tricky, Eastwood is too cliche, maybe Big Russel crowe with some prosthetics??

I'm only responding like a dick because this is my favorite graphic novel, but I think I'm being fair when I quote the Comic Book Guy here:

"Worst. Choices. Ever."

My cast for PREACHER not only look very much like the characters, but I think this cast could portray them well, and not require an insane amount of cash. I've cast this saga in my head a million times. There have been a few changes through the years, but what follows is a pretty solid list, I think.

Jesse Custer: Heath Ledger

Tulip: Rachel McAdams

Cassidy: Sean Patrick Flanery

Sheriff Root: Chris Cooper --too bad R. Lee Ermey has outgrown this role.

Saint of Killers: Clancy Brown

Herr Starr: EDIT: After consideration, I think Liam Neeson fits this role better than Bettany.

Grandma: Nan Martin

Jody: Tyler Mane (guy on left)

T.C.: Clint Howard

Of` course there are more characters, and I've cast them, but I figured this was enough. But I think this is a DAMN GOOD START. But, dammit, I want to direct!!!
Last edited by Nachokoolaid on Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:16 pm

Bruce Campbell in his more fit Army of Darkness days would have been great for Lobster Johnson.
Last edited by Chairman Kaga on Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:16 pm

colonel_lugz wrote:

yeah, you're right, it would never work.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:21 pm

unikrunk wrote:
colonel_lugz wrote:

Plus, Cass has to look like he's late 20s early 30s at the oldest. He was bitten at 16 and hasn't really aged. The only "aging" he does is from the drugs and hard living he did for so long.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:33 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:
unikrunk wrote:
colonel_lugz wrote:

Plus, Cass has to look like he's late 20s early 30s at the oldest. He was bitten at 16 and hasn't really aged. The only "aging" he does is from the drugs and hard living he did for so long.

Nice choices. I am still uncertain about Heath Ledger though.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:46 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:
Nachokoolaid wrote:
unikrunk wrote:
colonel_lugz wrote:

Nice choices. I am still uncertain about Heath Ledger though.

Me too, actually. I think he could do it, but I think there's someone out there who could be better than him. However, I think McAdams was born to play Tulip. Same goes for Cooper as Root. Look at him in that pic, and tell me that Steve Dillon didn't use Cooper's face for inspiration. Same goes for Clancy Brown as the Saint.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:28 pm

Hell even Nan Martin is amost a dead ringer
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Kilgore on Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:17 pm

This is a GREAT thread Bob...needed bumping...

I would like to see a different version of 'Hellblazer' with someone fucking English as Constantine...I mean, that Reeves' movie would have been okay, if they hadn't been working from a phenomenal property that got Americanized nearly beyond recognition,...I like Daniel Craig for that...but he's kind of the hot guy now...if not a true Brit, then Brad Pitt could do something off-the-beaten-path again, and likely make a mean John C.

The movie I would most like to see made would be the first arc or so of Powers, back before Bendis was a Marvel whore (and I like him)...I'm thinking Natalie Portman gone bleached makes for a good Deena Pilgrim, as for Christian Walker...man, I have been racking my brain, and I know full well I'm going to catch all sorts of hell for this, but I keep coming back to the same guy: Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson.

And I'm going to defend that choice...1) Walker has to have that superhero build for the point of the character being fallen from glory, dude's got that. 2) I've always thought the Rock can act, but he's brutally misused in nearly everything he's been in, with the exception of Be Cool in which he was basically the only redeeming character in that movie. This guy needs a new agent who is going to steer him as far as hell as possible away from every one of the video game/three explosions-four fights-and a love scene/written originally for the screen fifteen years ago for Dolph Lundgren/Jean Claude Van Damme movies he's sandwiching himself into. This part would require a lot more depth, but I've always thought that guy can do the serious tones if given the opportunity.

I also think there needs to be a Luke Cage: Hero For Hire movie, which I WOULD NOT want the rock in...it's more of a Sam Jackson thing, but he's a bit too old for that. I;m lost on who would make for the best Cage...

Let the fun-making begin...
Kilgore
AIRWOLF

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:33 pm

It's cool to see all the Preacher love. But let's include some other fantasy projects too.

As for John Constantine, I always thought Guy Pierce would do well in that role.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:53 pm

For those not convinced of my casting of Ledger as Jesse Custer, (heck, even I was unsure), well, hopefully after seeing this you'll come around to my casting.

I present, the dream cast PREACHER teaser poster.

Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby DennisMM on Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:15 am

Ledger looks good and he's learned to act. Bettany is too young for Starr, though.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Iconoclastica on Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:26 am

Nachokoolaid - that's some damn fine insight there. I was sitting here reading this thinking you're a fucking idiot . . . Ledger's too much of a fucking pansy to play Jesse Custard . . . but no, you're right. He's just about old enough to start growing a pair.

Dennis makes a good point too - he's learned to act. I think you've hit the nail on the head with that cast - damn if only it were true! . . .

Though I agree with Dennis also on the matter of Paul Bettany, as much as I love the guy . . . what about Michael Chiklis as Herr Star? He seems to have an appropriate mix of gruffness and class. Or am I just getting too hung up on the bald issue . . . ?

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:39 am

Iconoclastica wrote:Nachokoolaid - that's some damn fine insight there. I was sitting here reading this thinking you're a fucking idiot . . . Ledger's too much of a fucking pansy to play Jesse Custard . . . but no, you're right. He's just about old enough to start growing a pair.

Dennis makes a good point too - he's learned to act. I think you've hit the nail on the head with that cast - damn if only it were true! . . .

Though I agree with Dennis also on the matter of Paul Bettany, as much as I love the guy . . . what about Michael Chiklis as Herr Star? He seems to have an appropriate mix of gruffness and class. Or am I just getting too hung up on the bald issue . . . ?

Thanks for the complements. But I do think you're putting too much faith in the baldness of Chiklis.

Until recently, I always pictured Liam Neeson as Starr, and I'll tell you why I changed to Bettany. 1.) I doubted that Neeson would take the role, but 2.) I figured by the time they finally got around to making it, Neeson would be too old, and the fights with Custer wouldn't be as believeable. After seeing Jesse kick a lot of guys asses that seemed younger and tougher, I thought that might be a bit of a let down. But I guess you all are right, whike Bettany would be sinister enough, I guess he's too young.

So how about Neeson as Starr? He's always cast as a mentor or father figure, and I figured this would really give him a chance to stretch his acting muscles in both the comedic and sinister departments. Besides, from Schilndler, we know he can do a pretty good German accent.

Now picture him bald with that wicked scar, and tell me that's not Herr Starr! He was my original choice, and looking at this cast now, with all these pics together, I like him better in the role than Bettany.

Now let's get this film (6 filmed back to back a la LOTR, if my dreams come true) made already!!!
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:42 am

I suppose I should read Preacher so I have some clue as to accuracy of these musings.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:58 am

Chairman Kaga wrote:I suppose I should read Preacher so I have some clue as to accuracy of these musings.

Without a doubt!

My favorite graphic novel (in case you can't tell). You can get them all in trade paperback for a fairly reasonable price.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Tubbs Tattsyrup on Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:38 am

My take on a couple Preacher characters:

Jesse Custer: Rufus Sewell.
Saint of Killers: LANCE FUCKING HENRIKSEN.
I can't figure out any others.
On YouTube or Vimeo.
Tubbs Tattsyrup
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby colonel_lugz on Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:12 am

Cant believe all my casting ideas were shot down in flames man, ("worst choices ever!....My Ass, Nacho!) but there have been some excellent ideas floating about in here. I just think Ledger is too young for the role though. It was rumoured a few years back that James Marsden was in talks to play Jesse Custer, I'd personally hate this.

Clancy Brown as the Saint of all Killers?? HMMMMMM, its starting to grow on me.

Bettany as Starr could work, but im still not convinced.

Cooper as Sherriff Root is bang on!! as is Jody an' T.C, them good ol' boys.
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:13 am

TonyWilson wrote:Russell Crowe as Lord Asriel and Nicole Kidman as Mrs Coulter

NoOOooooooOOO! Not the Kidman!

Mrs Coulter belongs to one lady - Cate Blanchett

And Eric Bana would make a good Lord Asriel. ( Although Crowe is a good suggestion. )
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:52 pm

Tubbs Tattsyrup wrote:My take on a couple Preacher characters:

Jesse Custer: Rufus Sewell.
Saint of Killers: LANCE FUCKING HENRIKSEN.
I can't figure out any others.

Although Sewel might work, I think he'd be better as a villian. Besides, I don't see Jesse having that lazy eye. That's not sexy. Tulip would drop his ass.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby El Scorcho on Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:53 pm

Luke Ripp as Mavator Bigsby

FYI, that's a friend I had in high school as a character that I made up in high school.
El Scorcho
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Bob Samonkey on Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:54 pm

I am thinking i should rename the thread......Preacher worship 2006.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:00 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:

And Eric Bana would make a good Lord Asriel. ( Although Crowe is a good suggestion. )

It's funny that we both pick Ozzies isn't it? I thought about Blanchett and Naomi Watts too, but while Blanchett is attractive I wouldn't say she was disarmingly beautiful, whereas, for me Kidman has that cold beaut that sort of knocks you sideways I also think she would do devious/lying very very well.
Bana is a good one but I think Crowe has more of that granite like will Lord Asriel needs to have.
I thought about Timothy Olyphant for Lee Scoresby. Who would you have as Serafina Pekkala? Oh and I know you may thing this is daft but I can't help but see Tamsin Grieg from Black Books as Mary Malone.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby Bob Samonkey on Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:06 pm

They should do Garth Ennis's Pro with the Pro being Britney Spears. I think she could pull it off.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:39 pm

TonyWilson wrote:
thedoglippedone wrote:

It's funny that we both pick Ozzies isn't it? I thought about Blanchett and Naomi Watts too, but while Blanchett is attractive I wouldn't say she was disarmingly beautiful, whereas, for me Kidman has that cold beaut that sort of knocks you sideways I also think she would do devious/lying very very well.
Bana is a good one but I think Crowe has more of that granite like will Lord Asriel needs to have.
I thought about Timothy Olyphant for Lee Scoresby. Who would you have as Serafina Pekkala? Oh and I know you may thing this is daft but I can't help but see Tamsin Grieg from Black Books as Mary Malone.

Ozzies? Odd choice, but I can see Watts now, strung out, snorting a line of ants, and eating a bat's head. "SHARROOOON!"

Ohhhh.... Aussies. Nevermind.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:07 am

Nachokoolaid wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:
thedoglippedone wrote:

Ozzies? Odd choice, but I can see Watts now, strung out, snorting a line of ants, and eating a bat's head. "SHARROOOON!"

Ohhhh.... Aussies. Nevermind.

LOL, I've always spelt it Ozzies, it's nicnamed Oz afterall isn't it? Or have I been very misgiuded on this?
TonyWilson

Postby Tubbs Tattsyrup on Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:30 am

It's nicknamed Oz, but the citizens are nicknamed Aussies.

Kind of like "saussies". And anything that makes me think of sausages gets a big thumbs-up.

How about if Andy Serkis lost a bit of weight? He could play Cassidy. Maybe. *shies away from flames*
On YouTube or Vimeo.
Tubbs Tattsyrup
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby doglips on Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:40 am

TonyWilson wrote:
thedoglippedone wrote:

It's funny that we both pick Aussies isn't it? I thought about Blanchett and Naomi Watts too, but while Blanchett is attractive I wouldn't say she was disarmingly beautiful, whereas, for me Kidman has that cold beaut that sort of knocks you sideways I also think she would do devious/lying very very well.

Interesting to see that Timothy Dalton has been cast in Hot Fuzz, this may raise his profile enough to be in with a shout for Asriel - who he played on stage and was totally as brilliant in the role - if he could get it that would be amazing.

Grieg would be great as Malone and Olyphant certainly looks the part for Scoresby - maybe Matthew McConaughey might get the nod? As for Pekkala I am not sure, who do you think?
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:46 am

Mcconaughey is a good choice too, yeh he might be better than Olyphant actually. Serafina Pekkala is a really tough one when you think about it, it needs someone British IMO but I'm stumped on who it should be.
Any other readers of HDM got any ideas?
TonyWilson

Next

Return to Comic Books