Jet Set Willy......Roll call!

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Jet Set Willy......Roll call!

Postby papalazeru on Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:56 pm

Calling all "Proper" Gamers out there....

Im talking about experienced gamers, not woosy PS1 gamers. Im talking about the Old skool proper algorhythm gamers.

Chaos, Jet Set Willy, Manic Miner, Underwurld, Sabre Wulf, Attic Attak.

Im talking about 'proffessional' gamers, not those "Im on Inet 24/7 kicking some punks ass on HL2". Im talking people who appreciate proper games (Not that theres anything wrong with HL2 - I love it myself).

What happened to the gamers waiting for the next big thing. The next innovation....not whether Lara will flash her tits in the next Croft invasion...er....I mean incarnation.

Where are the developments? Where are the innovations? Where is the art, or is it all about money now?
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby sleepflower on Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:09 pm

I do love a tad of the HL2, HL1 was a bit poo ring though.

I have to say, of the recent gems, soul calibre 2 is there with the standing.

Duke Nukem 3D is about as classic as you get.

SF 2 (championship editions, sorry im a sega boy)

Mortal Kombat, anyone remember ABAC ABB being posted on teletext? In fact does anyone remember that teletext games page?
The Noblest Pleasure is The Joy of Understanding
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby Hollywood_Bob on Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:14 pm

Castle Wofenstein (Old SChool)

Space Quest Series

WIng Commander

Zork
"The only way to rid yourself of tempation...is to yeild to it." Oscar Wilde

Hollywood_Bob
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby magicmonkey on Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:54 am

hahahahar. Kempston joystick! Atic Atac, a mad crazy cupboard entering monster of a game back when Chaos and pot noodles were a recipe for a good saturday afternoon.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby papalazeru on Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:28 am

Oops...In my drunken stuper last night I forgot to mention one of the most groud breaking games of all time....

ELITE.

How many of us wasted our lives playing that? It was not a mispent childhood if you actually reached Elite Status.

What about Bak 2 Skool and Skooldaze....Awesome classics.

People hark on about yesteryear when it comes to games because the games actually pushed the mind and the machines...There were some stinkers too...oh! and some broken keyboards thanx to Hypersports and Track & Field.

It was actually quite amazing that you would play a game so relgiously for when you needed pixel perfect jumping. Mind you, the games did take 7 minutes to load so you didnt want to waste that ;-P

Nearly forgot about how social games were as well. I remember 3 of us round a keyboard and joystick playing Rampage...*Welling back the tears*

I would like to mention that innovation not only comes from such ancient classics as these but....I do include the ultimate selfish multiplayer experience.....GOLDENEYE....such perfect maps, perfect levels, perfect weapons.....Who could forget playing grenades in the library.
*Point of interest*
Ultimate: Play the game ....they actually went on to become Rareware, one of Nintendos best companies. They are now working for Microsoft so expect something good from their future games.

papalazeru

Postby The Thin Man on Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:49 am

Ah.. Jet Set Willy. Atic Atac, Skool Daze. Real games. Anyone remember The Hobbit? Spent weeks on that game. Pictures that would take 5 minutes to load, the fun of typing commands only for the computer not to recognise what you were saying, i.e. 'Open chest and talk to Gandalf' would usually get replies like 'Cannot open Gandalf'. Kids these days don't know they're born with their fancy graphics and character 'A.I.'.

Alos, anyone also remember downloading games directly from the TV/Radio? You used to have to place your tape mike next to the speaker and hope no one made any loud noises.
Schindler and I are like peas in a pod. We both made shells for the Germans, it's just that mine worked!
The Thin Man
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:32 am

I started on Repton and Elite and went on from there via the old Sierra classics on the PC (Colonels Bequest, Space Quest) and Thalamus games on the C64.

I wouldn't say art in games is being lost though, far from it. Games like Ico and Shadow of The Collossus could never have been made in the past, and there's always stuff like Darwinia for people craving a kickback to the Sentinel days.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby banthafodderUK on Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:05 am

dare devil dennis - on the shitty old bbc home computer???
wii code 0186 4330 3469 8398 use it mofo's!
banthafodderUK
AIRWOLF

Postby magicmonkey on Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:19 am

Anyone remember that game where you were a little tadpole swimming around in a pond eating stuff and avoiding predators? Played it on my Acorn Electron for ages. There was another similar survival type game for the speccy too, can't remember what that was called but it was crap.

I had a vic-20 too, them were the days. As for recording games off the tv and radio, thats just insane.

Nostalgia... Playing Horace goes skiing round at my mates whilst watching Rod Hull and Emu's windmill show.

"There's somebody at the door! There's somebody at the door!"

magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:43 am

When I was bought a Commodore 64, and my first game, Hunchback? - WAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh the tears!!!! Oh the memories!!!!!! Oh the days of the discovery of Nike, Diadora and Adidas trainers, Wham!, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, girls, Breakdancing, getting blown out by girls, such great days Booohooooohoooooo!!!!!!!!!!

Soon went donwhill when I met Banthafodder.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby doglips on Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:49 am

Chuckie Egg, Lunar Jetman, Hungry Horace, Galaxians.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby The Thin Man on Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:40 am

magicmonkey wrote:Anyone remember that game where you were a little tadpole swimming around in a pond eating stuff and avoiding predators? Played it on my Acorn Electron for ages. There was another similar survival type game for the speccy too, can't remember what that was called but it was crap.

I had a vic-20 too, them were the days. As for recording games off the tv and radio, thats just insane.

Nostalgia... Playing Horace goes skiing round at my mates whilst watching Rod Hull and Emu's windmill show.

"There's somebody at the door! There's somebody at the door!"

I can't be insane. Surely someone else remembers recording games off the radio/TV. I'm pretty sure Barry Norman presented the radio program. Still, it was a long time ago and an awful lot of beer has been drunk since then. I also loved playing Horace Goes Skiing. A true classic.
The Thin Man
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby papalazeru on Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:06 am

God there are some classics mentioned on here that I thougth were lurking the corner reaches of my mind.

Still Got rampage stuck in my head which I play on mame on a regular basis.

papalazeru

Return to Games