Download To Own: A Reality

Betamax and beyond

Download To Own: A Reality

Postby jgraphix on Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:37 pm

LONDON, England -- Universal Pictures and the online rental firm Lovefilm are launching what they say is the world's first download-to-own movie service in Britain next month.

Starting with "King Kong" on April 10, the companies say the new service will let people watch the latest movies on their laptops, home computers or hand-held devices while on the move.

Currently, films can be legally downloaded only for a short rental period, but this is the first legitimate means of downloading and owning a movie release, the UK's Press Association reported.

"Download-to-own has the potential to completely revolutionize the way people watch movies," PA quoted Peter Smith, president of Universal Pictures International, as saying.

Films will be available to download the same day the DVD is released. Consumers will get the film in three formats: two digital files available for instant download -- one for a PC or laptop and one for a portable device -- and a DVD copy sent by mail.

Initially, 35 Universal films will be available, including "Pride And Prejudice," "The Bourne Supremacy," "Love Actually," "Nanny McPhee" and "Bridget Jones."

They will be priced from £19.99 ($35) for the latest releases to £9.99 ($17.50) for older films. Downloading a film will take between 40 minutes and an hour.

"The time is only 12-18 months away when you will be able to put the kettle on, get the kids ready and then have a great movie ready to watch," Lovefilm chief executive Mark Livingstone told PA.

Eventually all 6,500 movies in the Universal catalogue could be made available for downloading, PA reported.

The films will be available on the Lovefilm and AOL Web sites. AOL, like CNN, is owned by Time Warner.

New films will be available at midnight on the day of release -- meaning consumers could be watching a DVD on a hand-held device on their train journey to work before stores have opened.

Security measures will make it impossible to e-mail the film to somebody else.

"Consumers are becoming more and more demanding. They want quality products and more accessibility," said Eddie Cunningham, chairman of Universal Pictures UK.

"This service offers instant access and flexibility for consumers to watch films wherever they like."

Universal's research showed that 12- to 18-year-olds in particular are keen to watch films on their laptops or portable devices.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:46 pm

At £19.99 they can go screw themselves.

I can nip to Sainsbury's down the road and get the latest release for about £12.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:49 pm

Cheers for the info J.

I think the whole idea sucks, but then this service isn't aimed at me... You download the movie taking up "your" valuable harddisk space and pay over the nose for the privilege. You can't even lend the thing to a friend. Crap I say, crap. Still, I think the same about British chart music, what do I know?
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby jgraphix on Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:53 pm

I think it's nice that they send you a DVD copy..that is the only redeemable aspect.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:54 pm

Soon computers will spit information into your forehead via a giant phallic device called a Laserpiss. That's next.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Flumm on Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:55 pm

I'm with lovefilm at the minute, and they actually already to a thing where you can DL movies, it's just they have a time limit on them... I had no idea that you do that untill I joined a little while ago. It suprises me actually how fast these changes in technology are coming in and being adopted. I still remember wondering if DVD would be any bigger than laserdisc, now we have DVDs delivered to your door, films deing legally downloadable to your computer and blueray just around the corner.

I think it's interesting how fast changes are developed and integrated into how we live.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:15 pm

jgraphix wrote:I think it's nice that they send you a DVD copy..that is the only redeemable aspect.

Didn't read that correctly... I thought it was an either or kinda thing. That does make things better.

Still, not much use to me out here in China. Although , they have this thing out here where you can buy pretty much any dvd for 25p, anywhere you want.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:55 pm

How in the blue fuck are they going to charge MORE for a downloaded film than for the DVD you can buy in stores? Are they batshit fucktards or something?!
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:59 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:How in the blue fuck are they going to charge MORE for a downloaded film than for the DVD you can buy in stores? Are they batshit fucktards or something?!

ahhh... but you can get it/watch it a few hours earlier... midnight of the day of release... so you can skip work that day and watch it...and be the envy of all your friends...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:01 pm

Do friends really envy that sorta thing?
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:03 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:Do friends really envy that sorta thing?

do your friends envy your huge fists...huh... do they... well the friends in my head envy anything that i tell them to envy... or they're B4NN3D from head for 9 days...

so there!!!!!
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:21 pm

How do all of your friends fit inside your head? You must have a large noggin.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Return to DVD / Blu-ray