The Most Underrated Band

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Postby DennisMM on Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:53 pm

St. Alphonzo wrote:
DennisMM wrote:Okay, one more minute before I go.

"The Antler Dance" by Paul Shaffer and Mr. Mike. Was that even realeased, or was it just on TV?

As far as I know it was just an SNL sketch. I can't believe I can remember that.

You must be as old as me.

I thought I was older than you.

A man in a mask came into my room
late last Saturday night
I said, "Hey, Mr. Mask, what you doin' in here?"
He said, "There ain't no cause for fright.
I got a dance that's gonna beat the bump
the hustle, and the hoochie-koo."
Then he took off his pants and did the Antler Dance
and now I'm gonna show it to you.

Put your hands on your head like a big ol' moose
keep you elbows high and your hips real loose
Now jump around the floor, kinda leap and prace
shake your middle a little
and you're doing the Antler Dance

A UFO dropped outof the sky and landed in L.A.
The top flew off and a thing popped out
that flashed with a purple ray
Well it ate concrete and it had nine feet
and a face like an overshoe
Then it took off its pants and did the Antler Dance
and, baby, you can do it, too.

(chorus)

Now, Nathan Hale was a standing there
just a waiting to be hung
He said, "I wanna go down in history
as a cat who really swung (?)
You know today, if I had my way,
I'd give another life or two
And then he took off his pants and did the Antler Dance
He did it for the red, white and blue!

(chorus)

I'm weak on the middle of the last verse.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Agent Alonzo on Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:54 pm

Love the jam, Weller is a genius.
Love Squeeze...
alonzo..... my apologies you ho-bag! - banthafodderUK

...that was the funniest post I've ever read at AICN. Comedy gold. I'm stealing it and shooting it in nothing other than a static two-shot. - Kevin Smith
Agent Alonzo
UMAGAA OMBONGO

Postby St. Alphonzo on Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:55 pm

Geez Dennis. I bow before you. You are the one true music geek.

You aren't that guy from that Comedy Central "Beat The Geeks" thing are you?
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby DennisMM on Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:56 pm

Real seriously underrated band: Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes. Companies tried and tried and tried to sell them outside the east coast. The band changed lineups. changed producers, changed their style some, even changed its name. Zip.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby wonkabar on Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:58 pm

docfalken wrote:I know ABBA isn't a under appreciated group (well, maybe by today's youth), but if you turn on "Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!" to 11 on your headphones, you might just see the face of God.

ABBA rules. Every time I hear their voices, I don't know, it's like when I listen to ye old Ludwig-Van.... for a brief moment I sense the full potential of the human-race. Then profound joy coupled with sweet sadness.
Last edited by wonkabar on Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby DennisMM on Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:58 pm

St. Alphonzo wrote:Geez Dennis. I bow before you. You are the one true music geek.

No, I'm prettier than him.

How old are you, Alphonzo? I'm 43 next week.
DennisMM

Postby St. Alphonzo on Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:00 pm

DennisMM wrote:
St. Alphonzo wrote:Geez Dennis. I bow before you. You are the one true music geek.

Damn, you are old. I turned 35 last Sunday.

By the way, didn't Southside Johnny have a minor hit with a song called (i think) "Better Days"?
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby Brocktune on Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:04 pm

wonkabar wrote:
docfalken wrote:I know ABBA isn't a under appreciated group (well, maybe by today's youth), but if you turn on "Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!" to 11 on your headphones, you might just see the face of God.

ABBA rules. Every time I hear their voices, I don't know, it's like when I listen to ye old Ludwig-Van.... for a brief moment I sense the full potential of the human-race. Then profound joy coupled with sweet sadness.

wasnt "Ace of Base" supposed to be the next "ABBA"? and then as i understand it, the "Vengaboys" were supposed to be the new Ace of Base? so what i want to know is, who will be the new Vengaboys?
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:07 pm

DennisMM wrote:
St. Alphonzo wrote:
I thought I had a head full of random music trivia, but in the last two days you've pulled out Richard Marx's "Hazzard" video, and the Starland Vocal Band's variety show. You are truly the music minutia master!

Thanks, but I can't take all the credit. You may recall that my memory of "Hazzard" was piqued by another Zoner's reference to the song, so I only get half score for that.

I remember the SVB show because I watched a few episodes. Letterman's presence escaped me until maybe 10 years ago when I saw a clip somewhere. He also was in Mary Tyler Moore's variety series. And Jeff Altman was the non-interpreter on "Pink Lady and Jeff."

In the days before the electronic database kiosk, when I sold records, one of my managers called me "The Human Phonolog." He was being kind, but I do have far too much nonsense stuffed in my brain.

And remember, Alphonzo -- I learned what I have by living through most of this shit. Once you've heard "Quick Joey Small" by The Kasenetz-Katz (sp?) Singing Orchestral Circus a few times, your brain is permanently traumatized. Maybe that explains why I kept the single for over 25 years.
Well I'm taking credit for the Hazard reference. That is a great song and video.

Who likes "Just dropped in to see what condition my condition is in"?
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby WinslowLeach on Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:07 pm

Underrated band: Foghat
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby St. Alphonzo on Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:08 pm

Brocktune wrote:
wonkabar wrote:

wasnt "Ace of Base" supposed to be the next "ABBA"? and then as i understand it, the "Vengaboys" were supposed to be the new Ace of Base? so what i want to know is, who will be the new Vengaboys?

Hillary Duff. I hear her greatest hits album is fantastic.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby St. Alphonzo on Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:09 pm

TonyWilson wrote:
DennisMM wrote:
St. Alphonzo wrote:

Who can't love a drug song sung by Kenny Rogers?
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby DennisMM on Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:15 pm

DennisMM wrote:
St. Alphonzo wrote:Geez Dennis. I bow before you.

Damn, you are old. I turned 35 last Sunday.

By the way, didn't Southside Johnny have a minor hit with a song called (i think) "Better Days"?

I don't know if it was a hit -- can't find the reference on allmusic.com, and my books are outdated. I remember hearing it, but mostly hearing "It's Been A Long Time," with Springsteen & Little Steven.

My wife and I have been watching the SCTV discs. The Jukes were guests around 1982, I guess. I started gaping and laughing a little, because one of the two female backup singers was a very heavily made up, spandex-clad Patti Scialfa, five years before Bruce.
DennisMM

Postby DennisMM on Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:25 pm

TonyWilson wrote:

OH. MY. GOD. I heard it last week or the week before, sitting at a red light. Hilarious stuff, Kenny trying to be psychedelic and pushing his voice as gruff as it can get!

Serious guilty pleasure.

Eight miles out of Memphis
and I got no spare (?)
eight miles straight up
downtown some where

(hmm ... only two years after "Eight Miles High")

and that huge crash that ends the thing.

It hit number 5.
DennisMM

Postby St. Alphonzo on Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:29 pm

More underrated bands:

The Trash Can Sinatras
Jellyfish
Poe
Solomon Burke (still putting out jaw-dropping albums).

I could go on, but I need to go home after pretending to work for the last nine hours. See y'all in a few hours!
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby Neo Zeed on Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:17 am

Curve, Talk Talk
Neo Zeed
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Seppuku on Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:48 am

Shuggie Otis. Brilliant bluesy soul auteur genius thingy (son of Johnny Otis). He wrote the original Strawberry Letter 23, which was covered by the Brothers Johnson and featured in Jackie Brown, the original however is still one of the greatest songs ever made. Check out the album Inspiration Information if you're interested.

Roy Harper and Nick Drake. Just recently come off an interview with the man, and he's got an endless supply of long-winded stories up he's sleeve, that he can pull out at will. Key albums of his are Stormcock (featuring Jimmy Page's guitar-work) and the more conventional HQ (with guest contributions by Pink Floyd's David Gilmour and more). Nick Drake is still in the same 70's folk-vein (damn near every solo artist who made a name for themselves in the early seventies seemed like they were coming off the folk movement), but his music is much darker than Harper's; final album Pink Moon was one of those Aural Suicide Notes you hear so much about (see:Joy Division's entire recorded output).

Lastly, the band that did the theme tune to what has to be my favourite show of all time MONKEY, which was called Monkey Magic in the U.S. "Monkey is funky he never stops!"
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Ribbons on Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:03 am

TonyWilson wrote:SQUIRREL NUT ZIPPERS....WHOOO HOO.
PUT A LID ON IT INDEED.

Personally I think Gomez are the most underrated band around at the moment. Have the yanks heard of them?

I actually heard someone talking about how underrated Squirrel Nut Zippers are the other day. I haven't heard either them or Gomez though, maybe I should check 'em out. I really wish id1g1t was working.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby magicmonkey on Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:03 am

seppukudkurosawa wrote:Shuggie Otis.
Nick Drake.

Lastly, the band that did the theme tune to what has to be my favourite show of all time MONKEY, which was called Monkey Magic in the U.S. "Monkey is funky he never stops!"

Gotta back you up on all counts there. Shuggies Strawberry Letter 23 is pure poetry to the ears, have a smoke and listen to this track and be carried away on a summer breeze no matter what the season.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Previous

Return to Music