WB Banned "Classic" - Coal Black and de Sebben Dwa

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

WB Banned "Classic" - Coal Black and de Sebben Dwa

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon May 15, 2006 3:39 am

Image
User avatar
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 7438
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:30 am

Postby The Thin Man on Mon May 15, 2006 4:02 am

If nothing else this does show how things have changed for the better in the past 60 years. I also seem to remember that during the early eighties the maid in 'Tom and Jerry' cartoons suddenly switched from having a 'black lady's voice' (I don't know how to best describe it) to suddenly having an Irish accent. Probably done at the time because it was realised that the original accent might now be offensive.
Schindler and I are like peas in a pod. We both made shells for the Germans, it's just that mine worked!
The Thin Man
STEAK-A-BABY
 
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:00 am
Location: The Wild, Wild West Midlands, UK

Postby RogueScribner on Mon May 15, 2006 4:24 am

Really? I only recall the Jemima voice.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
User avatar
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger
 
Posts: 9609
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:52 am
Location: Melbourne, FL

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon May 15, 2006 4:25 am

Oh wow..."Coal Black" as opposed to "Snow White".

That is awful. Weird to watch that and thing that someone thought it was a great idea to write/animate and show. Thanks for the link AH.
Image
User avatar
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 11031
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:32 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

WB Banned "Classic" - Coal Black and de Sebben Dwa

Postby bastard_robo on Mon May 15, 2006 5:17 am

eehehehehehe....

Good old fashion family racism
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

Image
User avatar
bastard_robo
SCANK BARON
 
Posts: 4636
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:59 am
Location: Hello Kitty Adventure Island

Postby sleepflower on Mon May 15, 2006 9:10 am

Astonishing.

Kill Japs for free? Possibly the most offensive, yet most obvious part.
The Noblest Pleasure is The Joy of Understanding
sleepflower
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 1138
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:10 pm

Postby austenandrews on Mon May 15, 2006 9:39 am

This rates with Birth of a Nation as one of the most offensive yet technically respected works in cinema.
User avatar
austenandrews
SUSAN CAGLE
 
Posts: 737
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:45 pm
Location: Austin, Texas

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Mon May 15, 2006 9:48 am

I just want everyone to know that most of these cartoons were directed by Friz Freling and NOT Chuck Jones. He was a classy guy. This one was directed by Bob Clampett. Here's a review
http://www.toontracker.com/coalblack/coalblack.htm



The Thin Man wrote:If nothing else this does show how things have changed for the better in the past 60 years. I also seem to remember that during the early eighties the maid in 'Tom and Jerry' cartoons suddenly switched from having a 'black lady's voice' (I don't know how to best describe it) to suddenly having an Irish accent. Probably done at the time because it was realised that the original accent might now be offensive.


I wish I could agree. Then I turn on the T.V. and see horrible Gangsta stereo types propegated everywhere and venemous hate spewed towards muslims.[/url]
Image
User avatar
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood
 
Posts: 3682
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:28 am

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon May 15, 2006 9:53 am

Who said anything about the director being Chuck Jones?

Anyhow...

More info on this and the censored eleven can be found on wikipedia here and here.

Again, link found on Animation Nation, thanks to Bronnie.
Image
User avatar
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 7438
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:30 am

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon May 15, 2006 3:30 pm

More banned toons can be found on this thread at Animation Nation.
Image
User avatar
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 7438
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:30 am

Postby unikrunk on Mon May 15, 2006 3:57 pm

sleepflower wrote:Cheers Atomic, I love this sort of thing. Also love ads and shows that never made it to air.

The haunted house animation is fantastic fun.


people; get with the times here. Racism is the new Orange. I read it is Vouge, and it was seconded in Glamour.
He can't' love you back...
Image
User avatar
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 4845
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:48 am

Postby sleepflower on Mon May 15, 2006 4:04 pm

Cheers Atomic, I love this sort of thing. Also love ads and shows that never made it to air.

The haunted house animation is fantastic fun.
The Noblest Pleasure is The Joy of Understanding
sleepflower
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 1138
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:10 pm

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Tue May 16, 2006 1:41 am

AtomicHyperbole wrote:Who said anything about the director being Chuck Jones?

Anyhow...

More info on this and the censored eleven can be found on wikipedia here and here.

Again, link found on Animation Nation, thanks to Bronnie.


Nobody said nothing about Chuck. I just wanted to point out that he kept his nose clean in these matters. The only banned cartoons that he did were the ones featuring a character putting a gun to his head (My favorite is the one where Peppy puts a gun to his head to lure the she-cat out of a glass box).
Image
User avatar
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood
 
Posts: 3682
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:28 am

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue May 16, 2006 1:59 am

The whole "Japs = free" thing blew me away. I honestly had to rewind it to make sure I actually saw what I thought I saw.

Honestly, great link AH.
Image
User avatar
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 11031
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:32 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue May 16, 2006 2:02 am

Too bad these are banned. History of any art, even the more ignorant parts, shouldn't simply be ignored. I remember watching this and others back in art school.

I only recently (say about 1999) noticed a change on Cartoon Network with showing previously acceptable stuff....The Jemima voiced housekeeper in Tom and Jerry or the rabbit mafia shooting themselves in the head after Bugs lost a race to the tourtoise...Before that Turner stations like TNT and TBS when they showed old WB and MGM cartoons did not edit them.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 7660
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:49 am

Postby austenandrews on Tue May 16, 2006 2:15 am

Retardo_Montalban wrote:Nobody said nothing about Chuck. I just wanted to point out that he kept his nose clean in these matters. The only banned cartoons that he did were the ones featuring a character putting a gun to his head (My favorite is the one where Peppy puts a gun to his head to lure the she-cat out of a glass box).

Have you watched Angel Puss?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u23Hy7dRIRQ
User avatar
austenandrews
SUSAN CAGLE
 
Posts: 737
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:45 pm
Location: Austin, Texas

Postby RogueScribner on Tue May 16, 2006 3:24 am

That vid was so . . . wow. I'm not usually an advocate for censorship, but that stuff belongs in a museum only accessed by adults and far, far away from kids.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
User avatar
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger
 
Posts: 9609
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:52 am
Location: Melbourne, FL

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Tue May 16, 2006 8:58 am

austenandrews wrote:Have you watched Angel Puss?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u23Hy7dRIRQ


Well, that sucks. It wasn't very funny either. The cat was a jerk too.
Image
User avatar
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood
 
Posts: 3682
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:28 am

Postby austenandrews on Tue May 16, 2006 10:02 am

Retardo_Montalban wrote:Well, that sucks. It wasn't very funny either. The cat was a jerk too.

Yeah, I didn't make it through the whole thing.
User avatar
austenandrews
SUSAN CAGLE
 
Posts: 737
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:45 pm
Location: Austin, Texas

Postby Chilli on Tue May 16, 2006 10:17 am

:shock:

Coal Black... okay, we can all agree its incredibly racist, but its also rather disturbingly subtextual as well.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
User avatar
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost
 
Posts: 6869
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:13 am
Location: Wales

Postby Proinsias on Tue May 16, 2006 10:38 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jbA437FHFU&search=Banned%20cartoons%20disney

See this one?!?. Disney's 'Hitlers Children - Education for Death' Never ever heard of this one.
Proinsias
REAL DRAGON
 
Posts: 425
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:30 am
Location: Surveillance Central

Postby austenandrews on Tue May 16, 2006 10:42 am

Chilli wrote::shock:

Coal Black... okay, we can all agree its incredibly racist, but its also rather disturbingly subtextual as well.

"Dat is a military secret!"
User avatar
austenandrews
SUSAN CAGLE
 
Posts: 737
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:45 pm
Location: Austin, Texas

Postby Chilli on Tue May 16, 2006 11:01 am

Proinsias wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jbA437FHFU&search=Banned%20cartoons%20disney

See this one?!?. Disney's 'Hitlers Children - Education for Death' Never ever heard of this one.


I did a Representation of the Holocaust module this year (last Uni year)... and we watched this video (along with newsreel footage of rescuing folk from The Death Camps) and this was just unbelievably crass.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
User avatar
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost
 
Posts: 6869
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:13 am
Location: Wales

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue May 16, 2006 11:27 am

Chilli wrote:
Proinsias wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jbA437FHFU&search=Banned%20cartoons%20disney

See this one?!?. Disney's 'Hitlers Children - Education for Death' Never ever heard of this one.


I did a Representation of the Holocaust module this year (last Uni year)... and we watched this video (along with newsreel footage of rescuing folk from The Death Camps) and this was just unbelievably crass.


That one is a classic. Are we worried about hurting Nazi's feelings in here or something? :P

I love all of the war time fare....How about Der Fuhrer's Face when Donald is trying to work and has to keep saluting pics of Hitler,....or Fleischer's Superman sabotaging Japanese ports......or Popeye taking out Japan's navy.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 7660
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:49 am

Postby Chilli on Tue May 16, 2006 11:33 am

I prefer Wolverine and Captain America shutting down the Red Skull's evil Nazi machinery meself.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
User avatar
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost
 
Posts: 6869
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:13 am
Location: Wales

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue May 16, 2006 11:35 am

Chilli wrote:I prefer Wolverine and Captain America shutting down the Red Skull's evil Nazi machinery meself.


Speaking of Wolvie I caught a Spiderman and his Amazing Friends episode this weekend. It featured the Juggernaught going after the X-Men and explained that the girl on the show "Firestar" trained with the X-Men. The voices for the X-Men were hideous especially Wolvie who had this awful Aussie accent. Twas hilarious.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 7660
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:49 am

Postby Evil Hobbit on Wed May 17, 2006 4:55 pm

sleepflower wrote:Cheers Atomic, I love this sort of thing. Also love ads and shows that never made it to air.

The haunted house animation is fantastic fun.


Still can't believe that haunted house short is banned. It's also on the mickey bw treasure 2. In the vault section. With a non-skipable leonard maltin speech before it. Apparently it was not banned for it's demonic images but because the Mouse said 'Mammy!' one time in the short. Which refers to a stand up comedian who said that while depicting a black person.
User avatar
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 1248
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:35 am
Location: the Netherlands

Postby Brocktune on Wed May 17, 2006 5:05 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:I only recently (say about 1999) noticed a change on Cartoon Network with showing previously acceptable stuff....The Jemima voiced housekeeper in Tom and Jerry or the rabbit mafia shooting themselves in the head after Bugs lost a race to the tourtoise...Before that Turner stations like TNT and TBS when they showed old WB and MGM cartoons did not edit them.




ted turner edited all (or at least most) of the overt gun and/or suicide scenes out of the looney tunes many years ago. he felt that kids would be more likely to play with guns if they saw cartoons doing it, so he cut that shit out. he also edited out all of the racist stuff. for example, at the end of "Fresh Hare" (i believe) bugs is about to be executed by firing squad, when he says that he wishes he was in dixie. at which point, the marksmen all turn around, and they are all in black face, and doing the chorus of dixie right along with bugs. now, you dont see that part. it just ends halfway through the bit.

as far as the tom & jerry "aunt jemima" voice, as its been called. well, i noticed that more recently. and its a little more subtle than cutting out entire scenes, shots or sequences, but the incongruity between the two audio sources sticks out like a sore fucking thumb. i can only assume ted turner is responsible for this as well, as he owns those cartoons, and cartoon network, and boomerang as well.

austenandrews wrote:This rates with Birth of a Nation as one of the most offensive yet technically respected works in cinema.


why do i have such a hard time with this? i guess i just cant agree with praising inflammatory, inaccurate, racist garbage like "birth of a nation" for its technical merit? fuck griffith, and fuck that movie.
Image
User avatar
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 6490
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:32 pm
Location: Pico & Sepulveda

Postby austenandrews on Wed May 17, 2006 5:15 pm

Evil Hobbit wrote:Still can't believe that haunted house short is banned. It's also on the mickey bw treasure 2. In the vault section. With a non-skipable leonard maltin speech before it. Apparently it was not banned for it's demonic images but because the Mouse said 'Mammy!' one time in the short. Which refers to a stand up comedian who said that while depicting a black person.

That's what I figured when I watched it. They could have cut that without missing a beat.
User avatar
austenandrews
SUSAN CAGLE
 
Posts: 737
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:45 pm
Location: Austin, Texas

Postby DDMAN26 on Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:57 am

I think I found something that more offensive than Coal Black. One note about Coal Black, I've read stories that Bob Clampett the director was friends with many people in the L.A. jazz scene and these were caricatures of his friends.

Has anyone ever seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7cvsh2iIwQ
DDMAN26
STEAK-A-BABY
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:55 pm

Postby papalazeru on Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:06 pm

DDMAN26 wrote:I think I found something that more offensive than Coal Black. One note about Coal Black, I've read stories that Bob Clampett the director was friends with many people in the L.A. jazz scene and these were caricatures of his friends.

Has anyone ever seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7cvsh2iIwQ


I liked the fact it's set in Lazy town. Cue that dodgy 'Fuck Yeah!' Sig, anyone?

Was the fact that the main character looked mixed race supposed to make it more palettable for the audience?
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
User avatar
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!
 
Posts: 11475
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:26 am

Postby DDMAN26 on Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:02 pm

papalazeru wrote:
DDMAN26 wrote:I think I found something that more offensive than Coal Black. One note about Coal Black, I've read stories that Bob Clampett the director was friends with many people in the L.A. jazz scene and these were caricatures of his friends.

Has anyone ever seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7cvsh2iIwQ


I liked the fact it's set in Lazy town. Cue that dodgy 'Fuck Yeah!' Sig, anyone?

Was the fact that the main character looked mixed race supposed to make it more palettable for the audience?


Lazy Town didn't make me cringe as much as the "smilin wata melin eatin man." Or the fact that um well THEY MADE THEM LOOK LIKE FUCKING APES.
DDMAN26
STEAK-A-BABY
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:55 pm

Postby LaDracul on Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:35 pm

I was watching "The Simpsons" tonight and they parodied Woody Woodpecker in a cartoon where they were making fun of Mexicans in the '30s.

"Even I found that offensive...and I'm a Southern sheriff!"

But, you can't white-wash history. Like it or not, these films were part of the era our ancestors/grandparents/parents lived in.
Image
User avatar
LaDracul
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2525
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:37 pm
Location: Gothamized Chicago

Re: WB Banned "Classic" - Coal Black and de Sebben Dwa

Postby TheButcher on Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:21 am

From Bleeding Cool:
Infamous, Long Buried Looney Tunes “The Censored Eleven” Coming To DVD – UPDATED
Brendon Connelly wrote:So, here come the Censored Eleven. Here’s the full list:

Hittin’ the Trail for Hallelujah Land (1931, directed by Rudolf Ising)
Sunday Go to Meetin’ Time (1936, directed by Friz Freleng)
Clean Pastures (1937, Friz Freleng)
Uncle Tom’s Bungalow (1937, Tex Avery)
Jungle Jitters (1938, Friz Freleng)
The Isle of Pingo Pongo (1938, Tex Avery)
All This and Rabbit Stew (1941, Tex Avery)
Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarfs (1943, Bob Clampett)
Tin Pan Alley Cats (1943, Bob Clampett)
Angel Puss (1944, Chuck Jones)
Goldilocks and the Jivin’ Bears (1944, Friz Freleng)
User avatar
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR
 
Posts: 17418
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:02 am
Location: The Bureau of Sabotage


Return to Animation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron