WB Banned "Classic" - Coal Black and de Sebben Dwa

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon May 15, 2006 3:39 am

AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Thin Man on Mon May 15, 2006 4:02 am

If nothing else this does show how things have changed for the better in the past 60 years. I also seem to remember that during the early eighties the maid in 'Tom and Jerry' cartoons suddenly switched from having a 'black lady's voice' (I don't know how to best describe it) to suddenly having an Irish accent. Probably done at the time because it was realised that the original accent might now be offensive.
Schindler and I are like peas in a pod. We both made shells for the Germans, it's just that mine worked!
The Thin Man
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby RogueScribner on Mon May 15, 2006 4:24 am

Really? I only recall the Jemima voice.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon May 15, 2006 4:25 am

Oh wow..."Coal Black" as opposed to "Snow White".

That is awful. Weird to watch that and thing that someone thought it was a great idea to write/animate and show. Thanks for the link AH.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bastard_robo on Mon May 15, 2006 5:17 am

eehehehehehe....

Good old fashion family racism
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby sleepflower on Mon May 15, 2006 9:10 am

Astonishing.

Kill Japs for free? Possibly the most offensive, yet most obvious part.
The Noblest Pleasure is The Joy of Understanding
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby austenandrews on Mon May 15, 2006 9:39 am

This rates with Birth of a Nation as one of the most offensive yet technically respected works in cinema.
austenandrews
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Mon May 15, 2006 9:48 am

I just want everyone to know that most of these cartoons were directed by Friz Freling and NOT Chuck Jones. He was a classy guy. This one was directed by Bob Clampett. Here's a review
http://www.toontracker.com/coalblack/coalblack.htm

The Thin Man wrote:If nothing else this does show how things have changed for the better in the past 60 years. I also seem to remember that during the early eighties the maid in 'Tom and Jerry' cartoons suddenly switched from having a 'black lady's voice' (I don't know how to best describe it) to suddenly having an Irish accent. Probably done at the time because it was realised that the original accent might now be offensive.

I wish I could agree. Then I turn on the T.V. and see horrible Gangsta stereo types propegated everywhere and venemous hate spewed towards muslims.[/url]
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon May 15, 2006 9:53 am

Who said anything about the director being Chuck Jones?

Anyhow...

More info on this and the censored eleven can be found on wikipedia here and here.

Again, link found on Animation Nation, thanks to Bronnie.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon May 15, 2006 3:30 pm

More banned toons can be found on this thread at Animation Nation.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Mon May 15, 2006 3:57 pm

sleepflower wrote:Cheers Atomic, I love this sort of thing. Also love ads and shows that never made it to air.

The haunted house animation is fantastic fun.

people; get with the times here. Racism is the new Orange. I read it is Vouge, and it was seconded in Glamour.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby sleepflower on Mon May 15, 2006 4:04 pm

Cheers Atomic, I love this sort of thing. Also love ads and shows that never made it to air.

The Noblest Pleasure is The Joy of Understanding
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Tue May 16, 2006 1:41 am

AtomicHyperbole wrote:Who said anything about the director being Chuck Jones?

Anyhow...

More info on this and the censored eleven can be found on wikipedia here and here.

Again, link found on Animation Nation, thanks to Bronnie.

Nobody said nothing about Chuck. I just wanted to point out that he kept his nose clean in these matters. The only banned cartoons that he did were the ones featuring a character putting a gun to his head (My favorite is the one where Peppy puts a gun to his head to lure the she-cat out of a glass box).
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue May 16, 2006 1:59 am

The whole "Japs = free" thing blew me away. I honestly had to rewind it to make sure I actually saw what I thought I saw.

Honestly, great link AH.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue May 16, 2006 2:02 am

Too bad these are banned. History of any art, even the more ignorant parts, shouldn't simply be ignored. I remember watching this and others back in art school.

I only recently (say about 1999) noticed a change on Cartoon Network with showing previously acceptable stuff....The Jemima voiced housekeeper in Tom and Jerry or the rabbit mafia shooting themselves in the head after Bugs lost a race to the tourtoise...Before that Turner stations like TNT and TBS when they showed old WB and MGM cartoons did not edit them.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby austenandrews on Tue May 16, 2006 2:15 am

Retardo_Montalban wrote:Nobody said nothing about Chuck. I just wanted to point out that he kept his nose clean in these matters. The only banned cartoons that he did were the ones featuring a character putting a gun to his head (My favorite is the one where Peppy puts a gun to his head to lure the she-cat out of a glass box).

Have you watched Angel Puss?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u23Hy7dRIRQ
austenandrews
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby RogueScribner on Tue May 16, 2006 3:24 am

That vid was so . . . wow. I'm not usually an advocate for censorship, but that stuff belongs in a museum only accessed by adults and far, far away from kids.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Tue May 16, 2006 8:58 am

austenandrews wrote:Have you watched Angel Puss?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u23Hy7dRIRQ

Well, that sucks. It wasn't very funny either. The cat was a jerk too.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby austenandrews on Tue May 16, 2006 10:02 am

Retardo_Montalban wrote:Well, that sucks. It wasn't very funny either. The cat was a jerk too.

Yeah, I didn't make it through the whole thing.
austenandrews
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Chilli on Tue May 16, 2006 10:17 am

:shock:

Coal Black... okay, we can all agree its incredibly racist, but its also rather disturbingly subtextual as well.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Proinsias on Tue May 16, 2006 10:38 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jbA437FHFU&search=Banned%20cartoons%20disney

See this one?!?. Disney's 'Hitlers Children - Education for Death' Never ever heard of this one.
Proinsias
REAL DRAGON

Postby austenandrews on Tue May 16, 2006 10:42 am

Chilli wrote::shock:

Coal Black... okay, we can all agree its incredibly racist, but its also rather disturbingly subtextual as well.

"Dat is a military secret!"
austenandrews
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Chilli on Tue May 16, 2006 11:01 am

Proinsias wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jbA437FHFU&search=Banned%20cartoons%20disney

See this one?!?. Disney's 'Hitlers Children - Education for Death' Never ever heard of this one.

I did a Representation of the Holocaust module this year (last Uni year)... and we watched this video (along with newsreel footage of rescuing folk from The Death Camps) and this was just unbelievably crass.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue May 16, 2006 11:27 am

Chilli wrote:
Proinsias wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jbA437FHFU&search=Banned%20cartoons%20disney

I did a Representation of the Holocaust module this year (last Uni year)... and we watched this video (along with newsreel footage of rescuing folk from The Death Camps) and this was just unbelievably crass.

That one is a classic. Are we worried about hurting Nazi's feelings in here or something? :P

I love all of the war time fare....How about Der Fuhrer's Face when Donald is trying to work and has to keep saluting pics of Hitler,....or Fleischer's Superman sabotaging Japanese ports......or Popeye taking out Japan's navy.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chilli on Tue May 16, 2006 11:33 am

I prefer Wolverine and Captain America shutting down the Red Skull's evil Nazi machinery meself.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue May 16, 2006 11:35 am

Chilli wrote:I prefer Wolverine and Captain America shutting down the Red Skull's evil Nazi machinery meself.

Speaking of Wolvie I caught a Spiderman and his Amazing Friends episode this weekend. It featured the Juggernaught going after the X-Men and explained that the girl on the show "Firestar" trained with the X-Men. The voices for the X-Men were hideous especially Wolvie who had this awful Aussie accent. Twas hilarious.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Evil Hobbit on Wed May 17, 2006 4:55 pm

sleepflower wrote:Cheers Atomic, I love this sort of thing. Also love ads and shows that never made it to air.

Still can't believe that haunted house short is banned. It's also on the mickey bw treasure 2. In the vault section. With a non-skipable leonard maltin speech before it. Apparently it was not banned for it's demonic images but because the Mouse said 'Mammy!' one time in the short. Which refers to a stand up comedian who said that while depicting a black person.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby Brocktune on Wed May 17, 2006 5:05 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:I only recently (say about 1999) noticed a change on Cartoon Network with showing previously acceptable stuff....The Jemima voiced housekeeper in Tom and Jerry or the rabbit mafia shooting themselves in the head after Bugs lost a race to the tourtoise...Before that Turner stations like TNT and TBS when they showed old WB and MGM cartoons did not edit them.

ted turner edited all (or at least most) of the overt gun and/or suicide scenes out of the looney tunes many years ago. he felt that kids would be more likely to play with guns if they saw cartoons doing it, so he cut that shit out. he also edited out all of the racist stuff. for example, at the end of "Fresh Hare" (i believe) bugs is about to be executed by firing squad, when he says that he wishes he was in dixie. at which point, the marksmen all turn around, and they are all in black face, and doing the chorus of dixie right along with bugs. now, you dont see that part. it just ends halfway through the bit.

as far as the tom & jerry "aunt jemima" voice, as its been called. well, i noticed that more recently. and its a little more subtle than cutting out entire scenes, shots or sequences, but the incongruity between the two audio sources sticks out like a sore fucking thumb. i can only assume ted turner is responsible for this as well, as he owns those cartoons, and cartoon network, and boomerang as well.

austenandrews wrote:This rates with Birth of a Nation as one of the most offensive yet technically respected works in cinema.

why do i have such a hard time with this? i guess i just cant agree with praising inflammatory, inaccurate, racist garbage like "birth of a nation" for its technical merit? fuck griffith, and fuck that movie.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby austenandrews on Wed May 17, 2006 5:15 pm

Evil Hobbit wrote:Still can't believe that haunted house short is banned. It's also on the mickey bw treasure 2. In the vault section. With a non-skipable leonard maltin speech before it. Apparently it was not banned for it's demonic images but because the Mouse said 'Mammy!' one time in the short. Which refers to a stand up comedian who said that while depicting a black person.

That's what I figured when I watched it. They could have cut that without missing a beat.
austenandrews
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby DDMAN26 on Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:57 am

I think I found something that more offensive than Coal Black. One note about Coal Black, I've read stories that Bob Clampett the director was friends with many people in the L.A. jazz scene and these were caricatures of his friends.

Has anyone ever seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7cvsh2iIwQ
DDMAN26
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby papalazeru on Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:06 pm

DDMAN26 wrote:I think I found something that more offensive than Coal Black. One note about Coal Black, I've read stories that Bob Clampett the director was friends with many people in the L.A. jazz scene and these were caricatures of his friends.

I liked the fact it's set in Lazy town. Cue that dodgy 'Fuck Yeah!' Sig, anyone?

Was the fact that the main character looked mixed race supposed to make it more palettable for the audience?
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby DDMAN26 on Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:02 pm

papalazeru wrote:
DDMAN26 wrote:I think I found something that more offensive than Coal Black. One note about Coal Black, I've read stories that Bob Clampett the director was friends with many people in the L.A. jazz scene and these were caricatures of his friends.

I liked the fact it's set in Lazy town. Cue that dodgy 'Fuck Yeah!' Sig, anyone?

Was the fact that the main character looked mixed race supposed to make it more palettable for the audience?

Lazy Town didn't make me cringe as much as the "smilin wata melin eatin man." Or the fact that um well THEY MADE THEM LOOK LIKE FUCKING APES.
DDMAN26
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby LaDracul on Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:35 pm

I was watching "The Simpsons" tonight and they parodied Woody Woodpecker in a cartoon where they were making fun of Mexicans in the '30s.

"Even I found that offensive...and I'm a Southern sheriff!"

But, you can't white-wash history. Like it or not, these films were part of the era our ancestors/grandparents/parents lived in.
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Re: WB Banned "Classic" - Coal Black and de Sebben Dwa

Postby TheButcher on Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:21 am

From Bleeding Cool:
Infamous, Long Buried Looney Tunes “The Censored Eleven” Coming To DVD – UPDATED
Brendon Connelly wrote:So, here come the Censored Eleven. Here’s the full list:

Hittin’ the Trail for Hallelujah Land (1931, directed by Rudolf Ising)
Sunday Go to Meetin’ Time (1936, directed by Friz Freleng)
Clean Pastures (1937, Friz Freleng)
Uncle Tom’s Bungalow (1937, Tex Avery)
Jungle Jitters (1938, Friz Freleng)
The Isle of Pingo Pongo (1938, Tex Avery)
All This and Rabbit Stew (1941, Tex Avery)
Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarfs (1943, Bob Clampett)
Tin Pan Alley Cats (1943, Bob Clampett)
Angel Puss (1944, Chuck Jones)
Goldilocks and the Jivin’ Bears (1944, Friz Freleng)
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Return to Animation