Flushed Away

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu May 18, 2006 3:56 am

Looks interesting. I haven't really liked most of DREAMWORKS animation stuff...but this looks like it could be really awesome stuff.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu May 18, 2006 3:59 am

AtomicHyperbole wrote:Finally Pixar gets some competition! British competition. Still, one burp joke, but it's taken beyond reason so that's funny.

"Have you seen my dad?"

Priceless. And that slug... :D

Agreed. The best stuff in the trailer happens when he gets flushed...once you see that world beneath the surface...it definitely takes off. It is that element that seperates PIXAR from the rest...and it looks like DREAMWORKS is finally catching up.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu May 18, 2006 4:02 am

AtomicHyperbole wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:Looks interesting. I haven't really liked most of DREAMWORKS animation stuff...but this looks like it could be really awesome stuff.

Don't get Dreamworks confuzzled up with Pixar... its made out of seperate companies, this one being British studio Aardman who're capable of Pixar quality films. Curse of the WereRabbit, Chicken Run... a whole host of British television. They know what they're doing. They mainly work with claymation, this is their first CGI feature and bears all the same design hallmarks. Dreamworks distribute.

I'm not a fan of the company though, after a scrape with them last year and hearing some stories about their production.

Well that definitely explains it. I wonder why the insist of mentioning "from the makers of Shrek and Madagascar" and they don't mention the Oscar winning Wallace and Gromit.

Oh gosh AH...you just keep getting into scuffles left and right!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Flushed Away

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu May 18, 2006 4:04 am

New trailer for Aardman's next movie here!
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu May 18, 2006 4:07 am

Finally Pixar gets some competition! British competition. Still, one burp joke, but it's taken beyond reason so that's funny.

"Have you seen my dad?"

Priceless. And that slug... :D
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu May 18, 2006 4:10 am

Leckomaniac wrote:Looks interesting. I haven't really liked most of DREAMWORKS animation stuff...but this looks like it could be really awesome stuff.

Don't get Dreamworks confuzzled up with Pixar... its made out of seperate companies, this one being British studio Aardman who're capable of Pixar quality films. Curse of the WereRabbit, Chicken Run... a whole host of British television. They know what they're doing. They mainly work with claymation, this is their first CGI feature and bears all the same design hallmarks. Dreamworks distribute.

I'm not a fan of the company though, after a scrape with them last year and hearing some stories about their production.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Thu May 18, 2006 4:12 am

AtomicHyperbole wrote:I'm not a fan of the company though, after a scrape with them last year and hearing some stories about their production.

Who's this, DreamWorks Animation or Aardman Studios?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu May 18, 2006 4:14 am

@Ribbons - the latter.

It's no biggy, I'm not going to go into it. I know they told a friend of mine that he didn't have enough experience to get a job he was after in the field he'd applied for.

He's been in the UK animation industry for 25 years.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby sleepflower on Thu May 18, 2006 4:36 am

Looks like it could be a goodun.
The Noblest Pleasure is The Joy of Understanding
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby Proinsias on Thu May 18, 2006 4:41 am

Wanna see more of that underworld, love that attention to detail. Agreed thats what seperates Pixar and Dreamworks stuff but Dreamworks + Aardman i think equals something very special. That Slug...heheheh..
Proinsias
REAL DRAGON

Postby colonel_lugz on Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:10 am

I was lucky enough to get preview tickets for Flushed Away last Friday. It was taking place at the same time as the Uk Premiere but on the other side of the street. It was also followed by a Q and A qith both direstors and Hugh Jackman, but I'll get to that later.

For those of you who don't know Flushed Away is the latest film from Aardman (Wallace and Gromit, Creature Comforts, etc.) This time though they have teamed with Dreamworks to create a film that looks like traditional clay animation but is in fact entirely CGI. The film centres around rat named Roddy who is a spoiled rich house pet. His family (keepers) go on holiday and leave him in an empty hous where it is soon invaded by a sewer rat named Sid, Sid takes over and flushes Roddy down the toilet and thus the adventure begins. Roddy embarks on a quest to escape the sewer but while he's at it he helps Rita (Kate Winslett) thwart an evil Toad (Sir Ian McKellen), do battle with French frogs and save the population of the rat city.

The story is simple, fun and gloriously silly....in fact, that's how I would sum up the entire film.

I haven't been the biggest fan of Aardman over the last few years; I'm not a fan of Chicken Run, I never saw Valiant and Wallace and Gromit have lost their charm for me. I thought Curse of the Warerabbit was boring and unfunny, I don't think the characters could stretch to a feature length, and I don't think I laughed at a single joke. Needless to say that I was apprehensive going into this one, but boy am I glad I did go.

Flushed Away had me laughing from start to finish, it maybe all toilet, physical and daft humour but it works a treat. The mix of claymation/CGI is honestly quite astounding and beautiful, I was hard pushed to tell that it was CGI. The voice work is all spot on. Apart from the talent mentioned above, there is also Jean Reno, Andy Serkis, Kathy Burke, David Suchet and Bill Nighy, Nighys' character Whitey is a complete scene and I found him hilarious. Everyone is very good, although some are a bit limited with their amount of screen time, although that's hardly surprising when the film clocks in at about 83 minutes.

With the introduction of CGI into their work Aardman have been able to attempt some striking new stuff, this is the first time where they have tackled large scale water effects. The action scenes (namely the chase scenes) are great, this is where I really appreciated the new technology; it gave them such a bigger scope to try new things. The results are very pleasing, especially the chase scene where the Rats are on electric whisks.

I watched Jonathon Ross review it last night and he almost tore it apart and even admitted to falling asleep during it. He is talking out of his arse! If any of you UKers saw it just ignore him.

I thought it was a really fun and just damn silly film, dont go into it expecting anything else.

As I mention, there was a Q and A afterwards. In attendence were the directors; David Bowers and Sam Fell and Hugh Jackman. It lasted about 30 minutes and was very interesting. Their main points were to do with the introduction of CGI whilst staying faithful to the traditional Aardman style. When Hugh turned up (he was late as he got stuck across the road at the actual premiere) he didn't just sit there and smile he talked for ages about the processes an actor goes through when doing voice work for animation. He gave insight into how the relationship works with the directors in that situation and I found all of what he said thoroughly interesting, we even got a couple of Wolverine impressions out of him...Bonus!

And to finish here are some piccies

You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:18 am

nice review and pics, Lugz. looks like a good time. thanks for bringing a piece of the experience back for us.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby colonel_lugz on Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:30 am

Cheers Pev!
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:10 am

Wouldn't be the first time I've disagreed with Woss. Thanks for the review, ace.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:42 am

This movie is a blatant attempt to get kids to flush democracy and religion down the flusher....wait....oops wrong thread.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Wolfpack on Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:44 am

Maybe it will be better than the video games based on it.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby Lady Sheridan on Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:30 pm

Cool pictures! Thanks lugz!

I thought Flushed Away was alot of fun. I loved the slugs--I've been looking for a stuffed one since but apparently they never made any.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Return to Animation