The Official INTERSTELLAR thread

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

The Official INTERSTELLAR thread

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:58 pm

Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:01 pm

who plays carl sagan?
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:52 pm

Brocktune wrote:who plays carl sagan?

Adam Balm.

He's gotta work on the accent, "billy-uns and billy-uns", but he's got the necessary nerdly credentials.

ComingSoon wrote:The project, in a nascent stage, is anchored in real science. It was derived from a treatment by Kip S. Thorne, a Caltech physicist who's an expert on relativity. Thorne is most famous for his controversial theory that wormholes not only exist but can be accessed and used as portals for time travel.

Here's Wiki's Bio

Keep it in your pants Scooter...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:13 pm

Gary Oldman to play Stephen Hawking!!!!
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:05 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:Keep it in your pants Scooter...

On that note, you just know they're going to put in Thorne's bet with Hawking over the existence of naked singularities, wherein the wager was appropriately one year's subscription to Penthouse. ("Much to his wife's disgust...")

I seriously have high hopes for this movie, but at the same time Thorne isn't exactly the most interesting of theoretical physicists to tackle. If you wanna make a movie about physicists, there's probably ten different movies you can make about Feynman, and Matthew Broderick has only ruined one of them. Janna Levin's pseudo-diary "How the Universe Got Its Spots" is tailor made for a great indie movie, and João Magueijo should get his own movie just for writing off string theory as a theory of "cosmic BlueBittles". Thorne...I dunno, I'm worried they'll either have to dumb him down and make him unrecognizable in order to appeal to the 18-34ers, or they'll present him as is and people will find it as dry and boring as most people already find the subject..

:sniffle:
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:23 am

Thorne wrote a treatment with the help of producer and science nut Lynda Obst ("How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days"), prompting Spielberg's involvement.

Did anyone else find some unintentional comedy in the above?

Anyhow, as long as Spielberg doesn't fuck up the ending as he has done with pretty much every movie since Lost World, I look forward to it. Yes, I even include Munich in that list.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:45 am

AtomicHyperbole wrote:Yes, I even include Munich in that list.

John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby doglips on Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:56 am

John-Locke wrote:

Seconded captain!

EDIT - Bought Munich earlier in the week, will watch it again at the weekend, cannot wait!
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:03 am

John-Locke wrote:

Look fella, he spends the entire film talking about the Palestinian/Israeli conflict and ends with a deliberate held shot of the WTC. As if to say, hey, y'know, everything that was started in this film ended in 9/11. Which is, frankly, bullshit - as the socio-historic reasons for the tragedy are far, far more complex than that and rooted in far more than just Black September's actions, which arguably had nothing to do with it. Black September, after all, had a deliberate political agenda to their violence which Spielberg portrayed. The mirroring of the PLO and the undercover MOSSAD agents showcased the descent in which Bana's team had found themselves spiralling in.

The WTC shot ruined what could've been a simple, poetic ending. It wasn't just a one-off shot to remind you of the time in which the movie is set, but it was a deliberate and extraordinarily clumsy device to whack you around the back of the head. Which is fucking stupid when you consider the otherwise balanced way the film played out and totally undermined what he'd set up throughout the movie.

So stick that in your pipe and smoke it. ;)
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:07 am

AtomicHyperbole wrote:
John-Locke wrote:

Look fella, he spends the entire film talking about the Palestinian/Israeli conflict and ends with a deliberate held shot of the WTC. As if to say, hey, y'know, everything that was started in this film ended in 9/11. Which is, frankly, bullshit - as the socio-historic reasons for the tragedy are far, far more complex than that and rooted in far more than just Black September's actions, which arguably had nothing to do with it. Black September, after all, had a deliberate political agenda to their violence which Spielberg portrayed. The mirroring of the PLO and the undercover MOSSAD agents showcased the descent in which Bana's team had found themselves spiralling in.

The WTC shot ruined what could've been a simple, poetic ending. It wasn't just a one-off shot to remind you of the time in which the movie is set, but it was a deliberate and extraordinarily clumsy device to whack you around the back of the head. Which is fucking stupid when you consider the otherwise balanced way the film played out and totally undermined what he'd set up throughout the movie.

John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:41 am

John-Locke wrote:

ahhh....yes...I remember that episode where Picard suddenly decided to tell everybody to fuck off...that fun/scary hand & facial gesture he made to Counsellor Troi will be etched in my mind forever as pure and utter brilliance...

almost as brilliant as that TOS Trek where Kirk explains to a bunch of weird aliens that look like asses that he has actually gone where most men have not gone before...

if you know what I'm still saying... :wink:
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby doglips on Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:47 am

AtomicHyperbole wrote:
John-Locke wrote:

To be honest I thought it was just a visual simile concerning attack and revenge.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:01 am

Exactly, but it could easily be construed as a misplaced message of what goes around comes around. After all, that's what the entire film dealt with.

Are we talking about Picard or Munich...
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:02 am

AtomicHyperbole wrote:Look fella, he spends the entire film talking about the Palestinian/Israeli conflict and ends with a deliberate held shot of the WTC. As if to say, hey, y'know, everything that was started in this film ended in 9/11. Which is, frankly, bullshit - as the socio-historic reasons for the tragedy are far, far more complex than that and rooted in far more than just Black September's actions, which arguably had nothing to do with it. Black September, after all, had a deliberate political agenda to their violence which Spielberg portrayed. The mirroring of the PLO and the undercover MOSSAD agents showcased the descent in which Bana's team had found themselves spiralling in.

That's a hell of a lot of inference to take from what is, after all, a shot which has appeared in thousands of movies and TV shows. Not saying you're totally wide of the mark, but I think you may be projecting a teeny bit there. I actually thought the final scene was pretty terrible too, but not because of the WTC shot, I just thought the dialogue was a tad weak and the scene felt superfluous to requriements.

Anyway, to get vaguely back on topic - a couple of days ago, Hawking told us what we already knew
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:07 am

AtomicHyperbole wrote:
John-Locke wrote:

I think this is more something that you are bringing to the movie - I certainly didn't read it that way - I thought the scene and that shot was pretty eloquent , not head-whackingly clumsy

Lets just hope this film bears no relation to Sliders
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:15 am

Oh c'mon. Spielberg didn't linger on it for no reason at all, people! He's got enough smarts to know what he's inferring.

More fuss was made for less reasons by Silent Hill's final shot of the bush. :D
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:20 am

meh - you hijack a thread, you've got to right it to the end
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:21 am

IPAMPILASH

Well, that Bush certainly got my back up!

meh - horses for courses, innit? The shot wasn't enough to ruin the movie for me, anyway - thought it was Spielberg's best since JP!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:36 am

What's wrong with Contact? Or were you one of those whiney fuckers who pissed his shorts because you didn't see a big green alien?
(perhaps the above needs to be in the EFBR)
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:50 am

The final shot in Munich was not meant to imply that the Munich massacre or Israel's response was in any way directly connected with 9/11. it was a symbolic reminder of the film's themes, that violence and revenge are cyclical and that they solve nothing. that seemed fairly obvious, i thought. agree or disagree with speilberg's message all you want, but make sure it's the right message. if you think spielberg is drawing a direct connection between munich and 9/11, you're taking that last shot way too literally.

i did not like Contact, for two main reasons: 1) i read the book, and 2) matthew mcconaughey. i don't inherently hate mcconaughey, but he was completely miscast in that role. and ellie's journey through space and meeting with the alien was anticlimactic and nowhere near as compelling as in the novel. the book had some very deep philosophical, scientific and mathematical concepts that were dumbed down in the film, which really hurt the last part of the film dealing with the themes of faith and belief. if i hadn't read the book, maybe i would have accepted the movie more easily, but having read the book, the movie was a pale imitation.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:56 am

TheBaxter wrote:but having read the book, the movie was a pale imitation.

That easily applies to 99% of film adaptations from books. I understand your argument but the rarity of film adaptations better then their literary origins makes this essentially an unstated truth when talking books to films. As such I almost never try to compare the two except when the film is obviously better......like Goldfinger. Still I understand completely how you were disappointed by the gap betwixt them.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:02 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

"pissed his shorts"

Great phrases today, Zoners!

(I really should not drink 4 pints on my lunchbreak)

ETA: Very good summary, Bax - I think your views about the thinking behind that final shot are completely reasonable.

(I quite liked Contact, but never read the book)
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:20 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:but having read the book, the movie was a pale imitation.

That easily applies to 99% of film adaptations from books. I understand your argument but the rarity of film adaptations better then their literary origins makes this essentially an unstated truth when talking books to films. As such I almost never try to compare the two except when the film is obviously better......like Goldfinger. Still I understand completely how you were disappointed by the gap betwixt them.

I agree, but in the case of Contact i think the disparity between the book and the movie was greater than most. some depth and details are always lost when going to film, but in the case of Contact i felt the meaning and purpose of the book's main themes got lost. that said, i'm not entirely sure if any filmed version would have been capable of presenting the complexity of the ideas in that book, so it may have been unfair to expect that.

there's no excuse for the casting of mcconaughey however.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:31 pm

You can read whatever you want into that Twin Tower shots really. It's open to interpretation. You can even say that it's symbolic of you and me comparing the size of OUR erections when we saw Helena Christensen walk past us in New York City (you remember that?) I'd say you're wrong AK in saying that the Black September events lead to 9/11, but that's just an opinion. My interpreation is that it shows us how the war against Terrorism will always be continuing and will always have it's casualties, therefore there is no happy ending to the movie and there, presently, is no solution to it's outcome or with terrorism, violence, war, my posts, my quest to establish absolute control and power over the Zone, in the future.

So yeah, TITG, who went to see Munich with me and show each other OUR twin erections in the theatre, I'm totally with you there and respect your intelligennt opionion of this movie and Spielberg's career in fil.......

"BEST SINCE JP!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????"

You LIKED that movie!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????

Oh God, If I was a Mod TITG!!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:27 pm

I'm not saying that Black September had anything to do with 9/11, it's just one of the things that final shot implies, or can be interpreted as such. It's not needed and reeks of a cheap device that the movie didn't require. It already had set up its themes, it didn't need a "modern day reminder". By doing so it took me, personally, away from the picture and what he'd set up through implication.

@Baxter - I don't think you're pov is any less right than mine. Only Spielberg knows what he's implying, but with any art it's open to interpretation. Still, a final lingering shot of the two towers, which were destroyed through acts of Islamic terrorism, not rooted in politics but wronged religious ideology, seemed peculiarly tacked-on.

How else are you supposed to take it other than literally? It's one of the most deliberate devices he could've used in taking the themes of the film into modern times, only their destruction doesn't stand for what Black September were trying to achieve.

You can dilly dally about it being merely about cyclical violence, but you can't ignore the other quite literal context regardless of whether it was Spielbergs intention.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:42 pm

It's pretty specious to state the WTC was rooted in wronged religious ideology and not politics.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:11 pm

Well, you know the gist of what I'm saying. Simply put, you can't really compare the two other than they're terrorist acts with different ideologies behind them.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:52 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:So yeah, TITG, who went to see Munich with me and show each other OUR twin erections in the theatre, I'm totally with you there and respect your intelligennt opionion of this movie and Spielberg's career in fil.......

"BEST SINCE JP!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????"

You LIKED that movie!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????

Oh God, If I was a Mod TITG!!!!

IPAMPILASH

Hey, what's wrong with JP? I was only 16, but I seem to remember the CGI rocking my world. But thanks for the reminder of our Munich dink-comparison fest! I recall coming out of the theater feeling unexpectedly confident about myself!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:52 am

Chairman Kaga wrote:What's wrong with Contact? Or were you one of those whiney fuckers who pissed his shorts because you didn't see a big green alien?
(perhaps the above needs to be in the EFBR)

ouch.

I'm hurt.

wounded even.

Didn't realize anyone actually likes their sci-fi mixed in with Daddy issues.
You sure it's not Chairwoman Kaga?

In all fairness, that cinematic stillbirth had lost my interest well before the ending, but I'm glad you found Jodie's spiritual journey rewarding...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:16 am

Feel better now KCBC
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby You Know My Name on Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:36 pm

Bow before the power of the Wormhole, fanboys. :lol:
MAY THE FARCE BE WITH YOU.
You Know My Name
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby tapehead on Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:37 pm

Senor Spielbergo?
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Fawst on Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:41 pm

Carried over from the locked thread...

Hook sucked.

Back on topic, this can't be good. Just because. I've lost 98.987243958745% of my faith in Spielberg ever doing a good scifi movie again. He should stick to adult thriller/drama like Munich. That was gold. Hah hah, get it??? GOLD?! I kill me.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:42 pm

This is a bit of a ghetto thread merge attempt here.... :oops:

BUMP.

havocSchultz wrote:Sooooo...

Main Page has the story about Jonathan Nolan (Christopher's Brother and writing partner) being hired to write the script for a sci-fi time travel film that Spielberg is hoping/planning to direct...

Sam Raimi has shown interest in the role of the time machine...
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Anti-Christ on Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:52 am

Can we at least get a time travel movie where something epic happens? I'm so tired of these lame ass flicks where they go back and create some new problem for the future. "Oh no, a paradox!" You'd think if someone could create a time machine they'd actually think out their plan to go back in order to prevent the problems to the future. Then again, if they were meant to go back then time wouldn't change at all. God, now I know why writers created alternate realities and parallel worlds. Helps explain time travel way better and make it writable.

Give me something dark along the lines of Twelve Monkeys which is at least semi-plausible time travel.
Image Creating worlds
Anti-Christ
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Re: The Official INTERSTELLAR thread

Postby judderman on Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:11 pm

alternate realities superfically seem plausible as a solution to time travel paradoxes but when you unravel the logic they make no sense. Too difficult to explain why without a pencil and a piece of paper though.

So. Anyway. Is this movie dead? Now that Spielberg's roving eye has fallen on a book that hasn't even been published yet (for God's sake, Steven, change the frigging title) is this inriguing movie going the way of his Liam Neeson as Lincoln biopic?
judderman
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Random Movie News

Postby TheButcher on Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:39 am

From The Playlist:
Ten Dead Projects We’d Like To See Resurrected
“Interstellar”
What Killed It? Hard to say. Along with “The Rivals” and “The Trial Of The Chicago Seven,” this is one of the many orphaned Steven Spielberg projects over the years that no one else had tackled. Interest in “Interstellar” apparently peaked in 2007, when Jonathan Nolan rewrote an acclaimed screenplay by Kip Thorne that centered on the hard science-fiction premise of adventurers using wormholes to travel to different dimensions. In March, interest reignited when Nolan switched to Spielberg’s agency, suggesting the collaboration was in the offing. Since then, Spielberg has pushed forward with two 2011 releases, “The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn” and “War Horse,” before moving into the long-gestating “Lincoln” and “Robopocalypse,” with chatter about an unneeded fifth installment in the “Indiana Jones” series continuing to threaten.

How Can It Be Resurrected? Spielberg’s shooting commitment to “Robopocalypse” seems tenuous, and it’s a ways off anyway, so why not pawn off that secondhand project and go for gold? “Interstellar” sounds like the kind of adventurous cinema we used to expect from Spielberg, and we can’t imagine he’d be so afraid of a challenge that he’d ignore a script by the beloved Nolan brother.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Random Movie News

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:02 pm

Christopher Nolan in Talks to Direct 'Interstellar' for Paramount and Warner Bros. (Heat Vision Exclusive)
The 'Dark Knight Rises' director is negotiating to board the sci-fi project written by his brother and longtime collaborator Jonathan Nolan
Borys Kit & Kim Masters wrote:With his Batman trilogy now complete, Christopher Nolan has found his next project.

According to multiple sources, Nolan has set his sights on a sci-fi project titled Interstellar, which he is in talks to direct and produce. The project involves time travel and alternate dimensions in a story that sees a group of explorers travel through a wormhole. The script is based on scientific theories developed by a Kip Thorne, a theoretical physicist, a gravitational physicist and astrophysicist at Caltech.

Sources say that dealmaking has been underway for months and is described as very complex.

Interstellar is set up at Paramount but would be made by both Paramount and Warner Bros., where Nolan and his Syncopy banner are based and for which he has made the three Batman movies as well as Insomnia and Inception. (The Prestige was made for Disney.)

The script for Interstellar was written by Jonathan Nolan, Chris' brother, who worked on The Dark Knight Rises and The Dark Knight, as well as Prestige. Jonathan Nolan (known as Jonah) also has a "story by" credit for Memento, Chris Nolan’s breakout movie.

Steven Spielberg was previously attached to direct Interstellar and produce with Lynda Obst. It is unclear if Spielberg will remain involved, especially considering the director's planned next movie, Robopocalypse, was delayed indefinitely on Wednesday.

Regardless of how a deal shakes out, Interstellar has all the elements that seem to attract Nolan. Apart from his brother’s involvement, there is the complex and multi-layered nature of the story.

Nolan is repped by WME and Bloom Hergott.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Interstellar

Postby Fievel on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:57 am

TheButcher wrote:Christopher Nolan in Talks to Direct 'Interstellar' for Paramount and Warner Bros. (Heat Vision Exclusive)
The 'Dark Knight Rises' director is negotiating to board the sci-fi project written by his brother and longtime collaborator Jonathan Nolan
Borys Kit & Kim Masters wrote:With his Batman trilogy now complete, Christopher Nolan has found his next project.

According to multiple sources, Nolan has set his sights on a sci-fi project titled Interstellar, which he is in talks to direct and produce. The project involves time travel and alternate dimensions in a story that sees a group of explorers travel through a wormhole. The script is based on scientific theories developed by a Kip Thorne, a theoretical physicist, a gravitational physicist and astrophysicist at Caltech.

Sources say that dealmaking has been underway for months and is described as very complex.

Interstellar is set up at Paramount but would be made by both Paramount and Warner Bros., where Nolan and his Syncopy banner are based and for which he has made the three Batman movies as well as Insomnia and Inception. (The Prestige was made for Disney.)

The script for Interstellar was written by Jonathan Nolan, Chris' brother, who worked on The Dark Knight Rises and The Dark Knight, as well as Prestige. Jonathan Nolan (known as Jonah) also has a "story by" credit for Memento, Chris Nolan’s breakout movie.

Steven Spielberg was previously attached to direct Interstellar and produce with Lynda Obst. It is unclear if Spielberg will remain involved, especially considering the director's planned next movie, Robopocalypse, was delayed indefinitely on Wednesday.

Regardless of how a deal shakes out, Interstellar has all the elements that seem to attract Nolan. Apart from his brother’s involvement, there is the complex and multi-layered nature of the story.

Nolan is repped by WME and Bloom Hergott.

That sucks. I had hoped Speilberg was going to do this - not that I don't think that Nolan would be fucking amazing with something like this, but I guess I just wanted to see ol' Steve go Full Geek.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:58 am

The Migratory Habits Of 800-Pound Gorilla Oscar Directors And The Films They Make
MIKE FLEMING JR wrote:News also broke last night that The Dark Knight Rises helmer Christopher Nolan has focused his attention on Interstellar, which could only have happened after Spielberg decided it wasn’t a good fit for him. Spielberg set up the project in 2006 after becoming intrigued by Caltech physicist and relativity expert Kip S. Thorne and his scientific theory that wormholes exist and can be used for time travel. Paramount (after it bought DreamWorks) signed on a year later and set Jonah Nolan to write it. The Nolan siblings obviously work well together (Jonah hatched the short story that became Christopher’s first hit Memento, and they collaborated on two Batfilms and The Prestige.

Insiders tell me that Christopher Nolan is writing a script that merges an original idea of his with the script that Jonah wrote. It will retain the title Interstellar, and the ambition for the project is a film that will depict a heroic interstellar voyage to the farthest borders of our scientific understanding. If it all pans out, he’ll direct. Nolan’s unofficial home studio, Warner Bros, has been kissed into the deal as a co-production partner with Paramount, and Christopher Nolan and Emma Thomas are producing with Lynda Obst. Jordan Goldberg is joining as exec producer alongside Thorne, who’ll remain on as technical consultant.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:36 pm

Christopher Nolan’s ‘Interstellar’ To Be Paramount-Warner Bros Co-Production And Joint Distribution
The much anticipated sci-fi film will be released in theaters and IMAX beginning November 7, 2014.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:29 am

Is Christopher Nolan Giving ‘Interstellar’ Lead To Matthew McConaughey?

Mike Fleming Jr. wrote:EXCLUSIVE: Here’s an intriguing casting possibility to chew on going into the holiday weekend. I’m told Christopher Nolan has offered the male lead of his next film, Interstellar, to Matthew McConaughey. The character’s name is Cooper and while there is no deal yet, who says no to Nolan? The project is a co-production between Paramount and Warner Bros. Interstellar was originally set up in 2006 by Steven Spielberg, when Paramount owned DreamWorks, and after Spielberg became intrigued by Caltech physicist and relativity expert Kip S. Thorne and his scientific theory that wormholes exist and can be used for time travel. It was Spielberg who set Jonah Nolan to write the script, which made it easy for Christopher Nolan to come aboard after Spielberg left the project. After all, the Nolan siblings have a collaborative track record, with Jonah hatching the short story that became Christopher’s first hit Memento, and following that with two Batfilms and The Prestige. Christopher Nolan signed on in January to write a script that merged an original idea of his with the script that Jonah wrote. The ambition is a film that will depict a heroic interstellar voyage to the farthest borders of our scientific understanding. Christopher Nolan and Emma Thomas are producing with Lynda Obst. Jordan Goldberg is joining as exec producer alongside Thorne, who’ll remain on as technical consultant.

Getting details on a Nolan project is more difficult than getting the line on the Pope selection process, so there’s no comment here. If McConaughey indeed signs on, what an intriguing turn for his career. After starting off in Dazed And Confused and A Time To Kill, this good old boy wanted to do dramas and action but seemed mainly to be successful as half of a love pairing in a romantic comedy. Much has changed with recent diverse films like Lincoln Lawyer, Bernie, Killer Joe and especially Magic Mike, the latter of which won him an Independent Spirit Award and has Hollywood seeing him in a different light. He has followed with The Wolf Of Wall Street and Dallas Buyer’s Club, but starring in Nolan’s big sci-fi film would be seismic. I just hope that it makes it possible for McConaughey to finally make The Grackle, one of the funnier scripts I’ve read. McConaughey is repped by CAA.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Fri May 17, 2013 6:48 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:

If I had a nickel for every time Michael Caine spilled some beans about Nolan's plans...

Michael Caine Joins Christopher Nolan’s ‘Interstellar’ Cast
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:39 am

AICN briefly had the plot synopsis up, before it was taken down at Warners Bros' request...

I'm betting it's gonna be about travelling into black holes...

within black holes!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:48 am

It's a Christopher Nolan film, so the odds are it will be about a brooding, handsome, well-dressed, white collar perfectionist guy with lots of hair gel who is motivated to push himself to extremes after the death of a woman.

I'll see it. I've liked most of Nolan's movies.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:20 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:01 pm

Warner Bros. Gives Up 'Friday the 13th' Rights to Board Christopher Nolan's 'Interstellar'
Sources tell THR that the price of admission for joining Paramount's sci-fi movie from the "Dark Knight" director was the studio's stake in the classic horror franchise along with its portion of a future "South Park" movie.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

INTERSTELLAR BEGINS

Postby TheButcher on Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:10 pm

Christopher Nolan Starts ‘Interstellar’
Paramount Pictures, a division of Viacom, Inc., and Warner Bros. Pictures announced today that principal photography on “INTERSTELLAR” is officially underway in Alberta, Canada. The film will be released in IMAX® and 35mm theaters on November 7, 2014. Paramount Pictures will distribute domestically, Warner Bros. Pictures internationally.

Directed and co-written by Christopher Nolan (“Inception,” “The Dark Knight” Trilogy), the production will travel the globe and utilize a mixture of 35mm anamorphic and IMAX film photography to bring to the screen a script based on the combination of an original idea by Nolan and an existing script by Jonathan Nolan, originally developed for Paramount Pictures and producer Lynda Obst. The new script chronicles the adventures of a group of explorers who make use of a newly discovered wormhole to surpass the limitations on human space travel and conquer the vast distances involved in an interstellar voyage.

“INTERSTELLAR” features a prestigious cast that includes Matthew McConaughey (“Magic Mike,” “Mud”), Academy Award® winner Anne Hathaway (“Les Miserables,” “The Dark Knight Rises”), Academy Award® nominee Jessica Chastain (“Zero Dark Thirty,” “The Tree of Life”), Bill Irwin (“Rachel Getting Married,” TV’s “CSI: Crime Scene Investigation”) Academy Award® nominee John Lithgow (“Terms of Endearment,” “Rise of the Planet of the Apes”) Academy Award® nominee Casey Affleck (“The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford,” “Gone Baby Gone”), David Gyasi (“Cloud Atlas”), Wes Bentley (“The Hunger Games”), Mackenzie Foy (“The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Parts 1 and 2”) Timothée Chalamet (TV’s “Homeland”), Topher Grace (“Spider-Man 3”), David Oyelowo (“Jack Reacher,” “Rise of the Planet of the Apes”), Academy Award® winner Ellen Burstyn (“The Last Picture Show,” “The Exorcist”), and Academy Award® winner Michael Caine (“The Cider House Rules,” “The Dark Knight” Trilogy).

The film is being produced by Academy Award® nominee Emma Thomas (“Inception,” “The Dark Knight” Trilogy) and Lynda Obst (“How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days,” “The Siege”). Renowned theoretical physicist Kip Thorne is consulting on the film as well as serving as executive producer, along with Jake Myers (“Jack Reacher,” “RED,” “RED 2”) and Jordan Goldberg (“Inception,” “The Dark Knight” Trilogy).

The behind-the-scenes creative team includes director of photography Hoyte van Hoytema (“Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy,” “The Fighter”), Academy Award®-nominated production designer Nathan Crowley (“The Dark Knight” Trilogy), Academy Award®-nominated costume designer Mary Zophres (“Gangster Squad,” “True Grit”) Academy Award®-nominated editor Lee Smith (“The Dark Knight” Trilogy,” “Elysium,”), Academy Award®-winning composer Hans Zimmer (“The Lion King,” “The Dark Knight” Trilogy), and Academy Award®-winning visual effects supervisor Paul Franklin (“Inception,” “The Dark Knight” Trilogy).
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:20 am

Legendary Scores Christopher Nolan's 'Interstellar' in Warner Bros. Divorce (Exclusive)
His "Dark Knight Rises" follow-up is one of several shared projects for the separated studios.
This story first appeared in the Aug. 23 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine.
Tatiana Siegel & Stephen Galloway wrote:Legendary Pictures and Warner Bros.' eight-year union was considered one of the more successful co-financing partnerships in Hollywood history. So it should come as no surprise that the two companies are working out some shared custody with their cinematic offspring.

Sources tell THR that before its June split with Warners, Legendary negotiated to retain a hefty stake in Christopher Nolan's sci-fi tentpole Interstellar, starring an ensemble including Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway and Casey Affleck. The arrangement still is being finalized, but sources say Legendary will finance 25 percent or more of the big-budget project, which began shooting Aug. 6 in Alberta, Canada. The move adds a third backer, along with Paramount, which will release the film domestically Nov. 7, 2014 (Warners is spearheading international).

Back in March, it was reported that Legendary would not have a financial role in Interstellar despite having helped bankroll Nolan's Batman trilogy as well as his megahit Inception. But when its Warner Bros. divorce proceedings began, Legendary came to the bargaining table with an option to board the follow-up to Man of Steel, which it helped finance. Sources say Warners CEO Kevin Tsujihara wanted to keep the studio's DC Comics properties to itself and instead offered Legendary a stake in Interstellar. Considering Nolan's last three films as a director (The Dark Knight, Inception and The Dark Knight Rises) have grossed nearly $3 billion worldwide combined, Legendary CEO Thomas Tull jumped at the opportunity.

Legendary, which signed a massive co-financing and distribution deal with Universal Pictures in July, remains entangled with Warners for some time on several projects. Those include the fantasy film Seventh Son, which Legendary fully financed. The studio recently pushed the Jeff Bridges/Julianne Moore starrer to Jan. 17 -- a less-than-desirable release date, though January has proved a successful launching ground for genre fare in recent years.

Other future projects that find Warners still in business with Tull include Noam Murro's upcoming 300: Rise of an Empire (March 7) as well as Godzilla, for which Legendary assumed 75 to 80 percent of the budget. Godzilla is set to bow May 16, in the summer corridor, which Legendary hopes will be kinder than it was to July's Pacific Rim. That film cost nearly $200 million and has grossed $344.4 million.

Meanwhile, several Legendary projects once expected to be distributed via Warners no longer are poised for that treatment. Warcraft, based on the popular video game, had not been submitted to Warners at the time of the split, so Legendary instead will show it to Universal in the next few months. The same is true for Hot Wheels, Mass Effect and Cyber, a Michael Mann movie starring Chris Hemsworth. Universal now will decide which of these pictures it wants to come aboard to co-finance.

Legendary and Warner Bros. declined comment.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:22 am

Matt Damon has now joined the ever expanding cast of this film.

For those of you who did not know, Nolan had previously offered Damon the role of Harvey Twoface in THE DARK KNIGHT and Damon passed.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Next

Return to Movie Discussion