A SCANNER DARKLY

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

With 10 being the best and 1 being the worst, how would you rate A Scanner Darkly?

17%
33%
50%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
I Will Not Be Seeing This (aka MiltonWaddams option)
No votes

Total votes : 6

Postby tapehead on Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:58 pm

Thankyou but no
I'm all ready to see this at the movies, and as much as much as I love to sit crouched over my laptop watching small framed video, I'm going to try to content myself with the EPK interviews to watch

darling Winona looks fine enough in her interview too, if a little frail and harried.

what? no Downey or Harrelson? This pair, who I remember significantly as last seeing on screen together in 'Natural Born Killers', were the factor that concerned me the most when I read about this movie in production, but everything I've seen from them in the trailers (Despite what appears to be a toupee on Woody) has gotten me excited, that and of course the the scramble suits, the 'toon noir' elements. And little touches we see just a glimpse of, like the freakshow (Locke's old av?) rocking in the sig above. Whilst it's nothing I remember from the book, has me wondering about near William Burroughs levels of bizarre creatures and obscene profundities, especiallyconsidering the last few chapters of the book.

the hype is upon me

alright I'm probably gonna take a peek
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:33 pm

tapehead wrote:what? no Downey or Harrelson? This pair, who I remember significantly as last seeing on screen together in 'Natural Born Killers', were the factor that concerned me the most when I read about this movie in production[

they're both perfect. Unlike you, I figured they could pull off their respective roles, but it went beyond that. They are Barris and Luckman!

tapehead wrote:And little touches we see just a glimpse of, like the freakshow (Locke's old av?) rocking in the sig above. Whilst it's nothing I remember from the book

you know, I asked my little lady about the multi-eyed freakshow after the film, as I didn't recall it being described that way. She said that's what Dick wrote, and sure enough...

Philip K. Dick wrote: The next thing he knew, a creature from between dimensions was standing beside his bed looking down at him disapprovingly. The creature had many eyes, all over it, ultra-modern expensive clothing, and rose up eight feet high. Also, it carried an enormous scroll.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:27 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:you know, I asked my little lady about the multi-eyed freakshow after the film, as I didn't recall it being described that way. She said that's what Dick wrote, and sure enough...

Philip K. Dick wrote: The next thing he knew, a creature from between dimensions was standing beside his bed looking down at him disapprovingly. The creature had many eyes, all over it, ultra-modern expensive clothing, and rose up eight feet high. Also, it carried an enormous scroll.

....oh, that guy.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby tapehead on Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:06 am

...I think he just looks too much like that floating head covered with eyes in 'Big Trouble in Little China'

having watched it I think the preview may actually convince a few undecided
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby magicmonkey on Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:43 am

Woah, just watched the preview. Sweetness. I could write forever about this animation technique, and what it is essentially doing for the medium of film. Its like double the effort - so triple your attension.

Cannot wait to have this potential gem in my sweaty little palms.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Lurker Johnson on Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:03 am

I just checked this film out and I thoroughly dug it. Perfect casting, smart, and fun to watch. The animation style lends itself greatly to the themes of identity and schizophrenia. Robert Dwney Jr. absolutely steals the movie with his portrayal of Jim, and Winona Ryder is the hotest cartoon I have seen in a while.

The movie also made me think about Dr. Octagon. Blue Flowers! :D

8 out of 10.
Lurker Johnson
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby dimnix on Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:09 am

Saw this last night. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

The one thing that annoyed me was when things seemed to float around in the animation... mostly it'd just be backgrounds or pieces of furniture, but sometimes it was also facial features.
dimnix
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:34 pm

Lurker Johnson wrote:The movie also made me think about Dr. Octagon. Blue Flowers!

I like the cut of your jib.

An instrumental version of that over the finale would've blown my fuckin' mind.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bean on Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:54 pm

I just got back from seeing this! Smart as hell movie, a little confusing at times, but the story lets you in on it soon enough. The acting was great all around, and the ending, WOW! I think this expands this Friday, all ye Zoners, get yourself to a theater and see it!

Anyone know where I can score some D?
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby Lurker Johnson on Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:30 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Lurker Johnson wrote:The movie also made me think about Dr. Octagon. Blue Flowers!

I like the cut of your jib.

An instrumental version of that over the finale would've blown my fuckin' mind.

Oh, Hell Yes!
Lurker Johnson
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Ribbons on Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:14 pm

This thread needs a poll! Poll! Poll!!!!!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:25 pm

Ribbons wrote:This thread needs a poll! Poll! Poll!!!!!

just for you...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:41 pm

Looks very good, but my motion sickness started to kick in after a while...

Plus I swear someone was recording the screen whilst I was watching it.

... a really big insect in a trenchcoat...
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:43 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Ribbons wrote:This thread needs a poll! Poll! Poll!!!!!

just for you...

Aww...
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby John-Locke on Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:32 pm

Just got back from seeing this, I really enjoyed it. I felt like I was tripping after a while but I loved that it did that, the animation was almost completely awesome, I agree with dimnix that sometimes the floaty backgrounds were a little odd, if I knew that Linklatter meant to do this it would be cool but I'm not sure it's intentional as when they nail a fluid camera movement it looks fantastic.

SPOILERS BELOW

Having not read the book I figured out that Hank was Donna pretty quickly (it was the size difference more than anything) but I still liked the way it played out. Then as soon as we found out Ben was going to work on a farm it all clicked into place for me, I'm not sure the bit in the following scene that explains this for you was completely necessary but I suppose some people might not have figured this out like I did.

Check this film out, Downey is fanfuckingtastic as are all the other cast members. It's not necesarily a MUST SEE in the Cinema, I think in someways it's more suited to DVD where you can smoke a studly one whilst watching it.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby unikrunk on Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:57 am

A Scanner Drunkly

I am holding this spot for my review of A Scanner Darkly, because although I tried to watch it last night, I did not make it far.

What I saw was great, but my timing was seriously in question.

A word of friendly advice to my fellow zoners; if you have just come out from under 11 hours of the worst panic attack you have ever had, and your wife gets you out of the house for sushi, don't drink two bottles of saki and 3 pints of Ichiban, it does not mix with your medication very well. And then you get sea-sick watching what seems to be a terrific movie, and pass out.

The real review will be here later today, in this very spot.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:25 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote: 9 out of 10, the best American film I've seen all summer.

I don't know Dick outside of the funny-picture adaptations, and I know very little Linklater (have seen Waking Life, School of Rock, and I think that's it), but I DO know what I like, and I know what I love: I loved A Scanner Darkly.

I usually enjoy going back and disagreeing with at least one point of Keepcool's reviews, but this time I just can't. You nailed my thoughts exactly, and I also gave this film a 9/10 in the Zone Movie Journal.

I loved the visual design, and though I had a couple of gripes with it for a couple of short scenes, the overall effect was not only excellent, but it was necessary to the film. After watching A Scanner Darkly, it did what any excellent film should do: it made me think that it was the definitive version, and I couldn't fathom its being made in any other way. Without the animated look it might've appeared a little dry (visually), but as it is, it's a real treat and has a lot of "rewatch" value.

It's not only the best American summer 2006 release, it's one of the best films released in the whole of 2006.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Previous

Return to Movie Discussion