Se7en Graphic Novel - From John Does eyes

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Se7en Graphic Novel - From John Does eyes

Postby Pudie on Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:31 pm

Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Theta on Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:54 pm

His backstory, huh? This'll be interesting. The character wasn't terribly well developed (or logically developed) for that matter in the movie, so I guess they have a lot of places they can take this. I also suppose that "Saw" prequel comic sold like gangbusters if they're dusting THIS property off.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Pudie on Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:09 pm

I think theres more then enough there to make a really good comic out of it. The man was consumed with the idea that sinners were not only a part of society, but for the most part accepted. Tons of territory they could cover with that, especially with 6 different murders. 7 if they go out into the field.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Theta on Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:13 pm

Pudie wrote:I think theres more then enough there to make a really good comic out of it. The man was consumed with the idea that sinners were not only a part of society, but for the most part accepted. Tons of territory they could cover with that, especially with 6 different murders. 7 if they go out into the field.

I'm not arguing with material; they've got plenty for a good splat comic. I've just never found the character as written to make a goddamn lick of sense or the film itself to remotely reach the profundity it strives for.

I might give it a shot to see what direction they take it in. If they keep with the nihilistic tone of the original, then no thanks. I want my nihilists to earn their attitudes.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Pudie on Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:21 pm

I guess that's where we differ then.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby athenabodicea on Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:18 am

That cover is fucking awesome....
His gut has fucking teeth... :shock:
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Iconoclastica on Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:20 am

athenabodicea wrote:That cover is fucking awesome....
His gut has fucking teeth... :shock:

agreed . . .

shit, this is going to be so awesomely disturbing :twisted: . . . I haven't had a decent pop culture-induced nightmare since the movie came out ^_^ (unless you count that one I had after watching the first episode of The Simple Life :cringe:)

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:28 am

I tend to agree with Theta on this. The film didn't really NEED to flesh out the character of the killer so I suppose there is a lot to work with...I just don't really see a point to it. Just another case of a publisher trying to milk an old property as opposed to promoting new, original ideas.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Iconoclastica on Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:36 am

Leckomaniac wrote:I tend to agree with Theta on this. The film didn't really NEED to flesh out the character of the killer so I suppose there is a lot to work with...I just don't really see a point to it. Just another case of a publisher trying to milk an old property as opposed to promoting new, original ideas.

pfssh, whatever . . . I'm in it for the gratuitous gore and over-analyzed biblical subtext . . . I loved reading The Divine Comedy and Paradise Lost in college, particularly because I'm not religious, and because they're such damn interesting bits of interpretation that have created so much havoc (I love it when generations of entire populations mistake prose for doctrine :wink:) . . . I'm curious of the range of justifications that Doe comes up with, and what angle the writers are going to take . . . the character always had an interesting perspective of reality, and if the writing is good, then it could be fun to be sucked into his head :-)

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby King Psyz on Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:37 am

the only bummer is you know the ending...
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Proinsias on Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:42 am

Great cover. I'll be picking that up. Though i hope they get some thoughts down too instead of simply 'how he did it'.

I think excerpts from his diaries would make a fantastic chapter breaker... it would be an illustrators dream (or nightmare) to get 'em down. Just enough to get a little meat on what was an entertaining but underdeveloped phsycho.
Proinsias
REAL DRAGON

Postby Iconoclastica on Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:45 am

Proinsias wrote:I think excerpts from his diaries would make a fantastic chapter breaker... it would be an illustrators dream (or nightmare) to get 'em down. Just enough to get a little meat on what was an entertaining but underdeveloped phsycho.

According to an article linked from the one Pudie posted, that seems to be the jist of how things might just be :-D

"You'll see both a sequential storyline peppered with actual notebook pages," said Tedesco. "We want to give the reader a feel that he or she is actually reading through Doe's notebooks. We want the reader to really be affected by this man's thoughts and story. I think it'll be unlike anything you've seen before in comics."

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby Proinsias on Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:53 am

Oi!!!! :D Right then, change of plan-thats going on my pickup list.
Proinsias
REAL DRAGON

Postby DennisMM on Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:07 am

When I saw the solicitation in Previews, I remarked to my wife that it seemed wholly gratuitous. This coming from a man who finds the movie competent and a real downer but not disturbing or artful. She agreed there was no need to demystify the character. She loves the movie and has watched it dozens of times.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Iconoclastica on Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:10 am

DennisMM wrote:When I saw the solicitation in Previews, I remarked to my wife that it seemed wholly gratuitous. This coming from a man who finds the movie competent and a real downer but not disturbing or artful. She agreed there was no need to demystify the character. She loves the movie and has watched it dozens of times.

yeah, I do agree that there's a lot of power in the mysteriousness of Doe's character . . . everything from the name down to the lack of anything besides a couple of paragraphs of lines. Everything is speculation besides the motive . . . which was a nearly brilliant technique, if you ask me. But I can't help but want to delve into his head . . . that one rant from the journal about his experiences on the subway were enough to get me interested in reading an entire book's worth of such inane ranting . . . though I suppose that's not exactly what's being provided here, unless we're truly lucky :?

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby Mutombo on Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:08 am

These first few pages seem like a simple horror comic to me. We already know what he did. What's the point of telling it? I think it's a cheap way to make quick money. The good thing about se7en was that all the brutal killings took place 'in our heads' which made them almost more brutal than they actually were. And now they're portrayed again. I really don't care.

And this isn't from John Doe's eyes. It's from the victims.

I'll pass on this one.
Being dead's no fun.
Mutombo
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Return to Comic Books