Remember, Remember the 1st of August!

Betamax and beyond

V for Vendetta

Viva La Revolucion! I Need It NOW!!!
56%
Sieg Heil and Amen! This DVD Should Be Burned!!!
13%
I'm afraid to have an opinion.
31%

Total votes : 16

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:01 pm

DennisMM wrote:As Tony said, the visions were exaggerated for dramatic effect. Still, I'd bet Alan Moore had a lot of experience with psychedelics by the time he wrote V for Vendetta. :wink:

Oh man, no doubt! Speaking of comic book acid trips, there were a few
issues of Promethea which were so beautifully illustrated and written, I
felt like I was tripping! (Oh, and best! ending! evar!) I'd love
to see somebody make that into a movie; something along the lines of
that digital rotoscoping process Linklater uses...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:11 pm

I still need to pull my second copy apart and tape it into the big poster.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:13 pm

FREEDOM! FOREVER! (on DVD)

V FOR VENDETTA is now in my clutches! I'm having mucho subversive
fun in my househole right about now! Oh, Natalie is so cute when she
talks about the politics of fear in interviews... *sigh*, Natalie, you waify
lil' leftist you!

UNFORTUNATELY, though, for we freaks who were planning to dress as V
for Halloween, the "mask" that comes with the Fleecing Gullible Geeks
Edition
is but a coffee mug sized replica! WTF?! So I just bought the
regular TWO-DISC SPECIAL EDITION instead. So far the extras are
pretty cool; theres a docu on Guy Fawkes that I haven't watched yet but
plan to shortly, and the short capsule interviews with the stars on disc 1
are delicious!

No Alan Moore though, and no mention of him whatsoever (As per Mr.
Moore's misguided wishes, I suppose; I mean, he left his name on that
godawful abortion of The League of Extraordinary Gentleman, but
took it off of this? I mean, really now, Alan, you can't be serious!) The
artist fella speaks though; he was apparently more than happy with the
project...

Oh, and theres yet another take on the "Comics Aren't Just For Kids
Anymore" thang (which appears to be included in every single new movie
based on comics) that i haven't watched yet, so I'm assuming if Alan "I'm
A Wizard Now" Moore's name it going to pop up, it'll be there...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:19 pm

To defend Mr Moore for a moment, he had his name on From Hell before he knew how bad it was going to be, LXG then cemented his hatred for any adaptations. And I can see why. Spending so much time love and energy on something only for it to be abused and hacked apart by money men, especially to someone like Moore must be heartbreaking. After that he gave up all together. Even if Gilliam got Watchmen as a HBO mini, Moore wouldn't put his name on it, he's just too disenchanted with it all.
Last edited by TonyWilson on Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby unikrunk on Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:25 pm

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:
DennisMM wrote:As Tony said, the visions were exaggerated for dramatic effect. Still, I'd bet Alan Moore had a lot of experience with psychedelics by the time he wrote V for Vendetta. :wink:

Oh man, no doubt! Speaking of comic book acid trips, there were a few
issues of Promethea which were so beautifully illustrated and written, I
felt like I was tripping! (Oh, and best! ending! evar!) I'd love
to see somebody make that into a movie; something along the lines of
that digital rotoscoping process Linklater uses...

Now that is a great idea! Great books.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:34 pm

TonyWilson wrote:To defend Mr Moore for a moment, he had his name on From Hell before he knew how bad it was going to be, LXG then cemented his hatred for any adaptations. And I can see why. Spending so much time love and energy on something only for it to be abused and hacked apart by money men, especially to someone like Moore must be heartbreaking. After that he gave up all together. Even if Gilliam got Watchmen as a HBO mini, Moore wouldn't put his name on it, he's just too disenchanted with it all.

I read an article earlier this year in which Moore stated that he completely approved of the Wachowski's adaptation before filming even began and only after the movie was finished and he still said he liked it did he then do a 180. He seems a touch bipolar or something. He still didn't have a problem with the film he just changed his mind.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:35 pm

His beard has taken over!

/kids in the hall?
//too obscure?
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:28 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:To defend Mr Moore for a moment, he had his name on From Hell before he knew how bad it was going to be, LXG then cemented his hatred for any adaptations. And I can see why. Spending so much time love and energy on something only for it to be abused and hacked apart by money men, especially to someone like Moore must be heartbreaking. After that he gave up all together. Even if Gilliam got Watchmen as a HBO mini, Moore wouldn't put his name on it, he's just too disenchanted with it all.

I read an article earlier this year in which Moore stated that he completely approved of the Wachowski's adaptation before filming even began and only after the movie was finished and he still said he liked it did he then do a 180. He seems a touch bipolar or something. He still didn't have a problem with the film he just changed his mind.

Could be true, could not be true. There's probably a lot of misinformation going around both ways. The thing that got him really riled up, by most accounts, was Joel Silver saying Moore signed off on the project before he did(?), or something like that. After the fact, he made a bunch of sorta-petty comments about "eggy-in-a-basket" and "FedCo" (the latter of which he didn't even realize was a mistake until his friend pointed it out to him, it should be said). He also said that there was a glaring plot hole in the movie, but that he would refuse to point it out because it was so glaring that it shouldn't need to be pointed out (yeah, I know), and that he disapproved of the subtext of the film being about Bush instead of Thatcher (even though I personally think it's well-made enough to serve as a political fable in any context). Those are all quotes, more or less. I don't know whether or not he ever said he liked it, nor do I know if he hated it right off the bat. If you can find a quote or article of some sort that says as much, more power to ya.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby DennisMM on Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:41 pm

The glaring plot hole is the manufacture and delivery of the Fawkes costumes. Pretty obvious.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Captain_Fucking_Magic on Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:09 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:Why aren't they releasing it on the 5th of November? I mean that is just simple stuff kids. Who markets films anymore.....I mean do they not think of this stuff themselves? On a side rant this reminds me of companies that release horror films in any month of the year but October when people might be more in the mood to go watch a horror flick.
November 5th is a Sunday. DVDs get released on Tuesdays. Not to mention that the studio doesn't fucking care about the 5th of November. It cares about selling dvds and making money.
Captain_Fucking_Magic
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby magicmonkey on Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:17 pm

Say it ain't so Captain.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Ribbons on Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:28 pm

DennisMM wrote:The glaring plot hole is the manufacture and delivery of the Fawkes costumes. Pretty obvious.

I guess I'm being thick here, but where's the plot hole there?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:32 pm

Captain_Fucking_Magic wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:Why aren't they releasing it on the 5th of November? I mean that is just simple stuff kids. Who markets films anymore.....I mean do they not think of this stuff themselves? On a side rant this reminds me of companies that release horror films in any month of the year but October when people might be more in the mood to go watch a horror flick.
November 5th is a Sunday. DVDs get released on Tuesdays. Not to mention that the studio doesn't fucking care about the 5th of November. It cares about selling dvds and making money.

Yeah I'm sure for the purposes of advertising they could easily release it on a Sunday. Just as much as certain feature films get released on Wedneesdays or Thursdays rather than the standard Friday release. Hell the Omen remake this year was released on a Tuesday simply to coincide with the whole 6/6/06 gag. It's not like if the movie went on sale on a Sunday it wouldn't sell after that.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Shane on Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:28 am

|I haven't watched a new movie this much in years. I'm getting ready to watch it again. I liked it but |I didn't know |I liked it this much. I can watch it over and over and want to. I think this one is going to live up against the test of time with me. |I didn't even watch batman begins this much.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby The Vicar on Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:18 am

I was quite fond of V when it was in the theatres, but I've grown to enjoy it even more on subsequent viewings. And I've been shilling round to some of my friends.

England prevails.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby magicmonkey on Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:01 pm

Wow, I love it when a movie hits you in that way, that you can watch it repeatedly and not get bored.

There is something about the way it was shot, the sound design and the production design tied together with the editing to create a real voodoo. A feeling and an atmosphere conjured thats more than the sum of its parts. Is this what Shane and The Vicar are talking about? I saw a terrible copy of the movie, enjoyed it, but will have to seek out a better version before too long.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby The Vicar on Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:14 pm

It was the creation of a plausible future, much like Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale, and with somewhat similar themes regarding those in Power, that helped make this work for me. Solidly acted, great look & some quotable lines as well.

Repeated viewings helped some of my less observant friends recognise, for example, that we had met Valerie before her introduction....in the cattle call of victims unloaded at Larkhill. To twist an old Zen proverb, sometimes going backwards means going on.

A good DVD copy would be the answer.
If I can help ( assuming Shangai might be your actual location & that obtaining a DVD copy of V could prove challenging ) in procurring one, let me know. Enough upright blokes in The Zone have helped me in this manner that it would be bad form to not do the same.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Previous

Return to DVD / Blu-ray