The Future of Horror... (Now with Severed Head on a POLL)

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Who is the Future of Horror...?

Alexandre Aja...
15%
Neill Marshall...
15%
Eli Roth...
11%
Christophe Gans...
11%
Lucky McKee...
No votes
Glen Morgan & James Wong...
4%
James Wan & Leigh Whannell...
4%
Rob Zombie...
22%
havocSchultz... ;)
7%
James Gunn
No votes
Hideo Nakata
7%
Oxide & Danny Pang
No votes
Greg McLean
4%

Total votes : 27

The Future of Horror... (Now with Severed Head on a POLL)

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:04 am

Soooo....

There has been some discussion lately about the quality of recent horror films...or the lackthereof...

But, there are a few names popping up in the last few years that show quality in horror movies might be on the upswing...

So - I figured I'd throw some of the more "prominent" names in horror directing up in a poll and we can discuss who we can invest our love/interest in...

Some people (who shall remain nameless cause they seem to be an "important" part in this site here) have named Eli Roth the "Future of Horror"

I, personally, don't have a big problem with Roth, I know alot of people hate him - but he does have a fun (if not maybe a little too arrogant) energy about him...

Alexandre Aja has made a coupla of really enjoyable horror films - High Tension (twist ending aside) was actually quite enjoyable and was actually able to build some good suspense...and The hills Have Eyes remake was fun and excessive, but not that scary...

Neill Marshall, who made Dog Soldiers (which was a pretty fun romp, in the graphic, gory, fun horror movie vein) and The Descent (which is actually kinda terrifying and suspenseful and really well done).

And then there's Rob Zombie, who is apparentely making a new Halloween, and has made House of a Thousand Corpses (which I found kinda meh...) and The Devil's Rejects (which was more of an intense exploitation film than straight horror) But you can tell he has a love for the genre - and I am actually looking forward to see what he does with Halloween...

Now I will wait for a a couple of more possible nominations before putting up a poll - but those 4 are going on for sure (Roth, Aja, Marshall, and Zombie)

I want fairly new filmmakers (only a handful of films) who, at the moment, are focusing in horror films...either the splatter/gory/fun or not type horror films, or the truly Scary/Suspenseful/Terrifying Horror films...

Who else should be on the poll?

Who is the Future of Horror?

WHO?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Last edited by havocSchultz on Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:52 am

All I can think of is Christopher Gans to add at the moment. Recently watched "Silent Hill" and was impressed with his work. Love love loved "Crying Freeman" too.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:55 am

magicmonkey wrote:All I can think of is Christopher Gans to add at the moment. Recently watched "Silent Hill" and was impressed with his work. Love love loved "Crying Freeman" too.

Ah yes...I knew I was forgetting somebody...I had some problems with Silent Hill...which I think were more script related...Gans work was brilliant...

And I love Brotherhood of the Wolf...

He will definetely be up on the poll...

How bout Lucky Mckee...I haven't seen his MoH contribution...and I am anticipating The Woods...but May was kinda cool...should he go up here as well...?
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:59 am

Why the chuff not old bean. I saw his Masters of Horror ep, and yeah it was schlocky, but in a good retro 80's kinda way.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Peven on Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:03 pm

what about Guillermo(sp?) del Toro?

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:06 pm

Peven wrote:what about Guillermo(sp?) del Toro?

I was thinking Del Toro...but he's made a few films already...and is not strictly horror...alot of fantasy and adventure and horror together...

And I think he's pretty much already established himself as a great director...horror and what-not...

but we'll see...I'm afraid he would run away with the poll though...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby tfactor on Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:14 pm

Havoc, I don't completely agree with who you mentioned so far and I think we (as movie goers) are long over due for someone to come and really knock a few out of the park. None of the above did that for me.

I thought James Mansgold did an amazing job with Identity but he seems to have gotten away from the horror stuff.

I was really hoping Bill Paxton was going to do some more scary stuff after Frailty but that too didn't happen.

Christophe Gans (I've heard) did an amazing job with Silent Hill but I haven't seen that yet, he may be a good one to add to your poll and keep an eye on.

Zack Snyder did a bang up job with the dawn of the dead remake, but he's another guy who's moving away from this genre

I feel Andrew Douglas did a pretty good job with The Amityville Horror remake and I would like to see him do something more original but he doesn't really have anything coming except (lady S are you listening?) Priest in 2007 with none other than Gerald Butler, but this is in pre-production.

TBH I want to see Christopher Nolan do something in the way of a hardcore horror film. I was blown away by batman begins and I think he's just a genius and obviously am looking forward to The Dark Night in 2008 but I really wish I could see him get a little more bloody. - probably not going to happen but if I had to pick someone it would be him.
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:28 pm

tfactor wrote:Havoc, I don't completely agree with who you mentioned so far and I think we (as movie goers) are long over due for someone to come and really knock a few out of the park. None of the above did that for me.

I thought James Mansgold did an amazing job with Identity but he seems to have gotten away from the horror stuff.

I was really hoping Bill Paxton was going to do some more scary stuff after Frailty but that too didn't happen.

Christophe Gans (I've heard) did an amazing job with Silent Hill but I haven't seen that yet, he may be a good one to add to your poll and keep an eye on.

Zack Snyder did a bang up job with the dawn of the dead remake, but he's another guy who's moving away from this genre

I feel Andrew Douglas did a pretty good job with The Amityville Horror remake and I would like to see him do something more original but he doesn't really have anything coming except (lady S are you listening?) Priest in 2007 with none other than Gerald Butler, but this is in pre-production.

TBH I want to see Christopher Nolan do something in the way of a hardcore horror film. I was blown away by batman begins and I think he's just a genius and obviously am looking forward to The Dark Night in 2008 but I really wish I could see him get a little more bloody. - probably not going to happen but if I had to pick someone it would be him.

Hi there...I actually agree with pretty much all you said and who you mentioned...But, like I stated originally, I am looking for strictly (for the moment at least) horror directors...

There's a bunch of directors I'd love to see do some straight horror...
And there are some Directors who have made a great horror film - but that's not the genre they stay in - they bounce to all genres...and maybe a new thread could be started eventually where we discuss who we'd love to see do a horror film (Nolan is a brilliant choice...) But I'm gonna try and keep this tight and simple and stick to just guys focusing on horror at the moment...and have only made a handful of films (at the most...)
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby tfactor on Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:44 pm

understood! sorry about that, I'm kind of only half here but I do know what you mean havoc

Alright what about:
Jim Sonzero - Pulse and thats pretty much all he's done so far
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:48 pm

tfactor wrote:understood! sorry about that, I'm kind of only half here but I do know what you mean havoc

Alright what about:
Jim Sonzero - Pulse and thats pretty much all he's done so far

It's all good man...I understand what you were saying...and like I said - I really agree with the Nolan should do a horror film thought...

Hmm...Sonzero...Pulse...depends what I hear about it in the next few days...I've some good - but also alot of bad with it...could be script related as well...but it's a possibility if he can actualy bring the horror - not just the visuals...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby raasnio on Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:54 pm

Christophe Gans and Rob Zombie would get my vote.

Aja seems as though he has potential, but he needs to get better screenwriters to work with.

Roth has failed to deliver a solid horror film yet, imo, but he's got another shot with his upcoming Cell (Stephen King).

I'm still baffled by the love for Zack Snyder. Apart from the first 5 minutes his movie was terrible. 28 Days Later wasn't really a zombie film, but the direction by Boyle was 100x better than what we got in the DotD remake.

Del Toro is already well established so I say we exclude him. Still, whenever he films At the Mountains of Madness we'll all be in for a treat.

I, too, would love to see Nolan do horror. I also believe he won't, but I think we do/will get a taste in his Batman films. There are certainly some dark moments in Batman Begins and I think we'll see more in the next one.
raasnio
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby King Of Nowhere on Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:52 pm

Roth wont deliver , i dont believe he has in the past either .

zombie gets my vote because you can really see his love for the genre & that means more than the plot twists & cg everyone else seems to rely to heavily on nowadays
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:14 am

Okay...so a poll is gonna be added after I'm done this post...

I thought of a few more names to add onto it as well...

Here is the list...

1 - Alexandre Aja (Haute Tension, The Hills Have Eyes)
2 - Neill Marshall (Dog Soldiers, The Descent)
3 - Eli Roth (Cabin Fever, Hostel)
4 - Christophe Gans (Botherhood of the Wolf, Silent Hill)
5 - Lucky Mckee (May, The Woods)
6- Glen Morgan & James Wong (Final Destination 1 & 2, Black Christmas Remake)
7 - James Wan & Leigh Whannel (Saw, upcoming film Silence)
8 - Rob Zombie (House of 1000 Corpses, Devil's Rejects, upcoming Halloween re-imagining)

So that should cover it...8 filmmakers/filmmaking teams that at the moment, seem to be focusing on horror films...all of varying degrees and possible quality...

Who can we look forward to for possible greatness?
Who can we look forward to for possible hatefullness (cough*blackchristmasremake*cough)

And so on and so forth etc...

Now talk amongst each others...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby The Vicar on Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:22 am

Neill Marshall?
The Descent was absolute crap.
I'm pissed I wasted money better spent on booze or gluttony.

Christhope Gans shows the most promise of the lot, although the script for Silent Hill wasn't all that. I do like the look of his films...maybe I should be crediting his cinematographer instead?
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby colonel_lugz on Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:23 am

Rob Zombie is the one who stands out on that list for me. i really like 1000 corpses. I didn't really get on with Devils Rejects for some reason but I respect Rob Zombie for trying something a little different and deliciously fucked up!. If he gets his re-invisioning of Halloween right then I think he may be the one who claims the crown as the "Future of Horror".

I also like what Niel Marshal does but it was nothing outstanding and nothing we hadn't all seen before.
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:25 am

tfactor wrote:I feel Andrew Douglas did a pretty good job with The Amityville Horror remake

Are you serious? Don't feel like I'm picking on you after the Talking Bat and Ball Hero thread but I have to warn people that the Amityville Remake is complete and utter bollocks, one of the shittiest horrors I've seen in a long time.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:28 am

The Vicar wrote:Neill Marshall?
I'm pissed I wasted money better spent on booze or gluttony.

Really?!?!

I actually enjoyed The Descent...and I'm a big horror freak...I thought he did quite well with it...and Dog Soldiers was just a fun time on DVD...
And what I've read about some of his upcoming projects - he's got some good (sounding at least) horror films lined up...

For me it was a toss up between him and Aja...I think Aja has a great talent for horror that we've only seen the tip of yet.
And he also appears to have some good horror-like projects in the works.

And I think that either one of these 2 guys will shape our future of horror in the next few years.
More so then the rest.
Quite possibly Zombie as well - but I though "1000 Corpses" was way too all over the place and not that horrific (except in a meh movie/horrible ending sort of way) and Rejects was more revenge film than horror...but depending what he does with Halloween, he could make me wanna change my vote. As long as he's not too knowledgeable of the genre and goes all self-referential...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby John-Locke on Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:28 am

colonel_lugz wrote:Rob Zombie is the one who stands out on that list for me. i really like 1000 corpses. I didn't really get on with Devils Rejects for some reason but I respect Rob Zombie for trying something a little different and deliciously fucked up!. If he gets his re-invisioning of Halloween right then I think he may be the one who claims the crown as the "Future of Horror".

Yep, I voted Zombie too, I thought 1000 Corpses was nice and twisted but I loved Devils Rejects, he is redefining Horror by taking it to new places, I doubt he's ever going to leave the genre either.

Gans did well with Silent Hill but I'm not sure he's going to make another Horror film for a while, if ever.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:28 am

Back for a second... on frigging dial-up... but saw this thread and had to add.

Ganz hasn't done anything remarkable just yet. BOTW was more fantasy than horror, was pretty good but otherwise a bit drawn out. Silent Hill wasn't good enough.

Suprised at the lack of Asian horrormeisters on this poll too. Fuck the remake director of Pulse, what about the great original flick? What about The Pang's?

Not seen Hostel yet, but will because Mori bent my arm about it the other day (quite rightly), but Cabin Fever was an incredible pile of shit. I mean, it stunk on a Boll level. True, it had some nice "ideas" in places but had zero tension or buildup and stuck to the televisual style of straight-on camera direction.

Someone once said something along the lines that it's easy to shock an audience - strangle a puppy. Roth used some easy tricks to gross out, but it wasn't scary nor terrifying at any point. Nor did the film have any real even tone or pacing and actually became BORING... quite how I've not figured out yet. Fuck knows what he was thinking about during the ending.

I'm willing to give Hostel a chance, but I've not heard much great stuff about it. Roth is obviously a great self-promoter (which backfired on me), and he's evidently done some good things helping to showcase other movies in the states (Shaun of The Dead)... but I can't see how on the strength of Cabin Fever he's managed to take off.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:30 am

John-Locke wrote:
tfactor wrote:I feel Andrew Douglas did a pretty good job with The Amityville Horror remake

Are you serious? Don't feel like I'm picking on you after the Talking Bat and Ball Hero thread but I have to warn people that the Amityville Remake is complete and utter bollocks, one of the shittiest horrors I've seen in a long time.

Ya, but it did have Ryan Reynolds...who, we all know, you love and adore...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby tfactor on Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:35 am

havoc, damn it I'm sorry dude I meant to suggest James Gunn to be added to your poll for Slither.

and JL I guess I don't know what to say to you, except we clearly have different opinions when it comes to movies, but are you one of those guys who has unrealistic expectations which can never actually be achieved? come on be honest

did you like Slither? how about silent hill? I haven't seen either yet but I'm getting silent hill today and I'm curious to know what you thought of these two movies and I'm kinda busy working so don't have time to go look thru a bunch of thread to track down your thoughts on either.
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby The Vicar on Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:38 am

Slither was nearly pretty good.
Script came up a bit short, as usual, but there is promise there.
The Vicar

Postby tapehead on Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:38 am

James Gunn wrote the script for the Dawn of the Dead Remake too, and should definitely be in contention here
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:39 am

AtomicHyperbole wrote:Back for a second... on frigging dial-up... but saw this thread and had to add.

Ganz hasn't done anything remarkable just yet. BOTW was more fantasy than horror, was pretty good but otherwise a bit drawn out. Silent Hill wasn't good enough.

Suprised at the lack of Asian horrormeisters on this poll too. Fuck the remake director of Pulse, what about the great original flick? What about The Pang's?

Not seen Hostel yet, but will because Mori bent my arm about it the other day (quite rightly), but Cabin Fever was an incredible pile of shit. I mean, it stunk on a Boll level. True, it had some nice "ideas" in places but had zero tension or buildup and stuck to the televisual style of straight-on camera direction.

Someone once said something along the lines that it's easy to shock an audience - strangle a puppy. Roth used some easy tricks to gross out, but it wasn't scary nor terrifying at any point. Nor did the film have any real even tone or pacing and actually became BORING... quite how I've not figured out yet. Fuck knows what he was thinking about during the ending.

I'm willing to give Hostel a chance, but I've not heard much great stuff about it. Roth is obviously a great self-promoter (which backfired on me), and he's evidently done some good things helping to showcase other movies in the states (Shaun of The Dead)... but I can't see how on the strength of Cabin Fever he's managed to take off.

I hear what you say...I don't have as much hate for Roth as many people...but he didn't get my vote...he does have a great fondness for the genre though - I'd like to see him try and do something less "shocking" (in his opinion) and actually try and do something terrifying...

And I understand the lack of asian horror directors.
For the most part - I wanted to throw some names up there that seem to be "bandied about" in regards to horror discussions lately.
Some of the "big" or "upcoming" names.

But I do think there is alot of horror greatness coming from the east...there's also alot of the guys there just re-cycling their own stuff and or getting remade/ripped off way too much...

But I also believe that with them - it doesn't matter if they get "recognition" from us or not - they're gonna do their own thing...

But I am growing very weary of the whole J-Horror cliche and onslaught as of late...and basically - I don't find any of it scary anymore - but I also haven't had a chance to check out some of the latest "greats" so we'll see...

But if anybody feels there is a specific J-Horror name that should be on the list - let a Mod know so they can add it to the poll...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:42 am

Ok, James Gunn is a good choice.
I'll give you that - if a Mod could add him, that'd be greatly appreciated...

Make it so Number One...!!!!
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby tapehead on Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:43 am

Hideo Nakata, director of the first two 'Ringu'

edit: he directed the US version of 'The Ring Two' as well
Last edited by tapehead on Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:46 am

tapehead wrote:Hideo Nakata, director of the first two 'Ringu'

If I was Mod, all these new nominations would already be added...

But, to be fair also, I gave this thread a week or two to collect nominations...but I also understand - once you see the names on a poll - then you can really see what has been forgotten...

Either way - keep making a few more noms and then maybe somebody can add them in before too many initial votes are cast...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby tapehead on Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:50 am

..maybe JL will chuck them up - especially James Gunn - it's only when you see the list that you see whats missing.... no others coming to me though
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:52 am

tapehead wrote:..maybe JL will chuck them up - especially James Gunn - it's only when you see the list that you see whats missing.... no others coming to me though

Ya - when he (or another Mod) comes back online - I'll send a PM...

ETA: PM has been sent...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby John-Locke on Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:01 am

tfactor wrote: JL I guess I don't know what to say to you, except we clearly have different opinions when it comes to movies, but are you one of those guys who has unrealistic expectations which can never actually be achieved? come on be honest

I expect every film I see to be good, a lot of the time they reach my expectations, Munich, Miami Vice, Tideland, The New World, Scanner Darkly, Banlieue 13, The Proposition etc all exceeded my expectations and are great examples of good cinema, films can be excellent.

Amityville was not, I didn't expect it to be but it didn't even try, it wasn't even slightly scary which for a Horror film is something I expect.

I didn't want to pick on you as I said, I just felt I should make my voice heard seeing as how you were saying the film was good, if someone read that and decided to see the film I thought I should let them know that there are difering opinions on the quality of the film, let them decide for themselves.

tfactor wrote:did you like Slither? how about silent hill? I haven't seen either yet but I'm getting silent hill today and I'm curious to know what you thought of these two movies and I'm kinda busy working so don't have time to go look thru a bunch of thread to track down your thoughts on either.

I haven't seen Slither yet, it looks like fun & I'm sure I'm going to love it, I grew up on films like this.

Silent Hill is good but it could have been better, if I was making it I would have gone a lot more hardcore with the gore and violence (altough I doubt it would look as nice), it's creepy and disturbing but if it went a little further it would have been one of the best Horror films ever.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby John-Locke on Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:02 am

havocSchultz wrote:
John-Locke wrote:

Ya, but it did have Ryan Reynolds...who, we all know, you love and adore...

Last edited by John-Locke on Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby tapehead on Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:03 am

Slither is a throwback to eighties comedy/horror
I liked it a lot
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:05 am

John-Locke wrote:
Silent Hill is good but it could have been better, if I was making it I would have gone a lot more hardcore with the gore and violence (altough I doubt it would look as nice), it's creepy and disturbing but if it went a little further it would have been one of the best Horror films ever.

I agree with this.

I liked it more when they were just showing snippets of the monsters and alluding to them...some of the creature designs were really cool...but I'm from the school of thought that as soon as you see the monsters - it dampens the fright factor...

And I know the fans of the games/monsters wanted/needed to see the monsters - but still...that's just my opinion...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby tapehead on Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:11 am

The cinematography in Silent Hill is lovely, with some of it's gamer POV emulation and nods to what I recognise as Argento - 'impossible' slow tracking shots over the face of a cliff or the roof of a building, but the script severely lacked characterisation - more non cg gore woulda done it for me though.

I'm not sure about James Wan & Leigh Whannel - I was always more taken by the story of how they broke into Hollywood than anything they have been responsible for putting on the screen.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby papalazeru on Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:15 am

true. Whilst the setting was creepy it was inversely proportional to the dialogue and the pacing.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby tapehead on Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:18 am

Greg McLean for Wolf Creek? I notice a lot of people don't like this movie so much
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:30 am

tapehead wrote:Greg McLean for Wolf Creek? I notice a lot of people don't like this movie so much

I actually enjoyed Wolf Creek...and I was thinking of McLean yesterday when I was deciding who to put on the poll...then I forgot about him...I'd have to run a quick check to see if anything he has coming up also is horror related. If so, then Yeah, I believe he deserves a spot on the poll as well. If Wolf Creek was just a one time horror thing for him - then I wouldn't recommend putting him on here...

ETA: Ah yes, he's finishing up work on Rogue, a story about a man-eating crocodile...which is considered a horror...

Well...if there's a still a Mod around (hint, hint...sorry to bug ya again) I think he should be on the poll as well...

And then I think that gives us a pretty good diverse group of peeps to discuss and debate and wish upon...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:47 am

havocSchultz wrote:I hear what you say...I don't have as much hate for Roth as many people...but he didn't get my vote...he does have a great fondness for the genre though - I'd like to see him try and do something less "shocking" (in his opinion) and actually try and do something terrifying...

And I understand the lack of asian horror directors.
For the most part - I wanted to throw some names up there that seem to be "bandied about" in regards to horror discussions lately.
Some of the "big" or "upcoming" names.

But I do think there is alot of horror greatness coming from the east...there's also alot of the guys there just re-cycling their own stuff and or getting remade/ripped off way too much...

But I also believe that with them - it doesn't matter if they get "recognition" from us or not - they're gonna do their own thing...

But I am growing very weary of the whole J-Horror cliche and onslaught as of late...and basically - I don't find any of it scary anymore - but I also haven't had a chance to check out some of the latest "greats" so we'll see...

But if anybody feels there is a specific J-Horror name that should be on the list - let a Mod know so they can add it to the poll...

RE Asian directors, stuff like Pulse IS awesomely shudder-inducing and should be respected for their originality - not people working the remakes. I'm not just talking j-horror either - check out Tale of Two Sisters for a remarkable film that lifts the genre to another level. Re-Cycle was the film Silent Hill should've been... to be honest, the asian contingent still completely own similar half-hearted efforts in the west. Long-haired ghosts or no, there's still room.

Moving on, who're the fella's who did Wolf Creek? I'd rate that over half the stuff posted so far. Isn't "doing their own thing" exactly what should be praised here over remakes? I'd say, despite my being unimpressed with his squalid efforts, Roth does do something outside of the endless retreads, as does Zombie.

RE Silent Hill... lets face it, if it wasn't for the games it wouldn't have been much cop. Basically it lifted what was already there and took away a ton on plot and pathos. I STILL loved it, but I'm a fan of Silent Hill. But it was in no way a good movie, not just because of Sean Beans WTF accent and completely misused sublot that instead popped in a horrific infodump towards the end.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:59 am

AtomicHyperbole wrote:Moving on, who're the fella's who did Wolf Creek? I'd rate that over half the stuff posted so far.

Greg McLean...he just got added...

tapehead wrote:I'm not sure about James Wan & Leigh Whannel - I was always more taken by the story of how they broke into Hollywood than anything they have been responsible for putting on the screen.

I hear ya...but when I heard about their new project (outside of the Saw films) "Silence" which apparentely is now called "Dead Silence" (which unfortunately sounds like a straight-to-DVD title...I liked the one-word "Silence" better) I got a little more interested...

Dead Silence

The plot summary on that page doesn't say much though...so I don't know if it has changed alot since it's original inception...but from what I first heard - it had something to do with a ventriloquist or something like that...either way - it sounded a lot better than something along the lines of "man comes home to look into his wife's murder" or something like that...so I guess we'll wait and see...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:03 pm

Thanks for the adds, Havoc, I feel all warm and fuzzy inside...

*coughs up length of black hair*

... oh dear...
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:07 pm

yeah Havoc, thanks for the additions I suggested

such a shame; AH seems to be going blind...
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:11 pm

No problemo people...

I please to aim...

Now - to add to the discussion, are any of these filmmakers likely to achieve the "greatness" of some of our past favorites...some of the "Masters" of horror from back in the day...like Craven and Carpenter and Argento etc...?

Or are these an all new breed...in 10-15 years will we be talking about the good ole days of Zombie and Roth and Aja for example...and how they don't make horror films like they used to...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Vicarious on Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:28 pm

I gotta say Rob Zombie, although I think Aja, Marshall and Roth are in this group. Saw House of 1000 Corpses the week before Devil's Rejects came out and didn't get it on any level, especially as a horror fan. Never really a fan of Rob's music, and the movie just didn't make sense to me, and it certainly wasn't the shockfest it was made out to be. There was some good stuff in it, but it didn't mesh. Then I saw The Devil's Rejects. Holy shit. I like to think of it as sort of an audition film into the world of horror (even though it was only half horror). Man, did Rob fucking nail it. The atmosphere, the characters, the music, everything. It certainly wasn't perfect, but I can't recall a better second film by ANYONE. I mean, most of it took place during the day, and it was still sort of unnerving and just oozing with style. I'm sort of torn on the Halloween remake. Halloween is my favorite horror movie of all time. I'm looking forward to Rob's take, but I hope to God he doesn't fuck it up. As long as he understands that Halloween is not about gore and that he can't always cast the same people in all his movies, he will be fine. Still, after TDR, I have faith in him and I think he's the future of horror.

As far as the other guys go... Roth has his niche and while Hostel wasn't great, Cabin Fever was fun and I think he could do better with a more comedic touch to his horror. Liked High Tension a lot, even the ending. The Hills Have Eyes was solid, but I wish Aja would stick to original stuff. The Descent was nice. Marshall could do amazing things with an actual Hollywood budget. The Saw series is fun, but not the future of horror. All the Asian remakes are getting sickening. I actually saw Pulse and wanted to rip my eyes out afterword. Not scary in the least and boring as hell. Silent Hill was shot nicely, but other than that it was pure crap. Dug the TCM remake. I went into Wolf Creek knowing nothing about it, and came out wishing I still knew nothing about it. Fucking horrible and insanely derivative.

So, I really don't have much hope for horror right now, but there are a few guys out there that I will keep an eye on.
Vicarious
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Vicarious on Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:41 pm

I'm pissed I wasted money better spent on booze or gluttony.?

Ummmm... what movie were you watching? If you didn't like it you obviously had no clue what kind of movie you were going to. It wasn't the be all end all of horror, but it was well done and showed skill on Marshall's part.
Vicarious
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby The Vicar on Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:55 pm

Vicarious wrote:

Ummmm... what movie were you watching? If you didn't like it you obviously had no clue what kind of movie you were going to. It wasn't the be all end all of horror, but it was well done and showed skill on Marshall's part.

Is that a joke?
I knew what I was going in to see when I watched the last Star Wars prequel - and found it wanting.
I knew what this film and Silent Hill were about and just don't think they were very good films.

I do like your inferrance that the only reason I disliked The Descent was because I'm obviously too stupid and careless a film goer to "know what kind of movie I was going to see". I guess you missed the "No Hate, Just Debate" sign hanging over The Phantom Zone.

You disagree with my assessment of the film?
Fine.
But please do not try to punk me with a statement like that again.

I rarely go into any film without knowing something about it - I don't just throw a dart at the showtimes in the paper and go where it tells me to.

I knew exactly what I was going in to see - I thought the "action" sequences were so disjointed & choppy that it was impossible to tell what was happening and to whom. The lead "heroine" turning into a Ripley wanna be was absurd.

The Descent was crap.
The Vicar

Postby Vicarious on Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:38 pm

The Vicar wrote:
Vicarious wrote:

Is that a joke?
I knew what I was going in to see when I watched the last Star Wars prequel - and found it wanting.
I knew what this film and Silent Hill were about and just don't think they were very good films.

I do like your inferrance that the only reason I disliked The Descent was because I'm obviously too stupid and careless a film goer to "know what kind of movie I was going to see". I guess you missed the "No Hate, Just Debate" sign hanging over The Phantom Zone.

You disagree with my assessment of the film?
Fine.
But please do not try to punk me with a statement like that again.

I rarely go into any film without knowing something about it - I don't just throw a dart at the showtimes in the paper and go where it tells me to.

Are you serious???? :roll:
Vicarious
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby buster00 on Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:24 pm

Did anyone else here see the House of Wax remake from Jaume Collet-Serra? I was actually kind of impressed by it. Sure, it was a strictly by-the-numbers plot, and the acting was the opposite of good, but there were some creative death scenes and a good suspenseful tone in many spots. Then again, those elements might have more to do with the writers. Nevertheless, I might like to see what Collet-Serra would be able to do if given more to work with.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Vicarious on Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:20 pm

buster00 wrote:Did anyone else here see the House of Wax remake from Jaume Collet-Serra? I was actually kind of impressed by it. Sure, it was a strictly by-the-numbers plot, and the acting was the opposite of good, but there were some creative death scenes and a good suspenseful tone in many spots. Then again, those elements might have more to do with the writers. Nevertheless, I might like to see what Collet-Serra would be able to do if given more to work with.

It had its moments. There were some truly creepy sets and scenes (I think the little town was the star of the movie) but I really didn't dig it as a whole. OK at best.
Vicarious
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:25 am

If anyone says Cabin Fever was "fun" again I will slit your eyes open and piss in the holes.

IT.

WAS.

AWFUL.

That is all.

(all in the spirit of the thread, of course)
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:31 am

I didn't love Cabin Fever but I did like it (especially on second viewing when I knew what to expect) dare I say it, I thought it was funny

Check the small print AH before you get your cock out.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Next

Return to Movie Discussion