The Future of Horror... (Now with Severed Head on a POLL)

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Who is the Future of Horror...?

Alexandre Aja...
15%
Neill Marshall...
15%
Eli Roth...
11%
Christophe Gans...
11%
Lucky McKee...
No votes
Glen Morgan & James Wong...
4%
James Wan & Leigh Whannell...
4%
Rob Zombie...
22%
havocSchultz... ;)
7%
James Gunn
No votes
Hideo Nakata
7%
Oxide & Danny Pang
No votes
Greg McLean
4%

Total votes : 27

Postby tapehead on Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:34 am

Peter Jackson and I both enjoyed Cabin Fever, and he often calls me to chuckle derisively about jealous Eli Roth Naysayers - douchebags every one of them.

the devil is in the details.... douchebag.
Last edited by tapehead on Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby judderman on Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:34 am

AtomicHyperbole wrote:If anyone says Cabin Fever was "fun" again I will slit your eyes open and piss in the holes.

IT.

WAS.

AWFUL.

That is all.

(all in the spirit of the thread, of course)

I'm afraid I have to agree. Eli Roth sounds like he'd be a blast to have a few beers with in some down at heel bar in Texas, but I can't stand his movies. I voted for Neil Marshall, though if I had a choice I would have voted for Alejandro Amenabar or (and I'm really surprised he isn't on this list) Guillermo del Toro.
judderman
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:15 am

Maybe I should give Cabin Fever another go.

I really enjoy self-harm.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:22 am

what, no none of the above?

can't see any one of the listed candidates as being "the future" of horror...

unless the existential horror of being a b-movie h@ck counts.

which it doesn't.

so, sadly, I'm forced to "go with" Havoc.

again.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:26 am

Its not a patch on the list you could have made in the late Eighties, is it?
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:50 am

tapehead wrote:Its not a patch on the list you could have made in the late Eighties, is it?

dread inducing atmospherics have been replaced with mindnumbing clusterfucks of MTV stylized editing.

and just the 80's?

hell, go back to days of yore, with the German Expressionists, Univsersal classics of the 30's, Val Lewton, Hammer, and the glorious 70's.

but, ya' know, I'm into psychological horror more than the "gotcha" moments, so my taste and preferences are generally not the current vogue.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chilli on Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:52 am

The 'classic' Univeral Dracula is overrated in my opinion. Dull, uneventful, shoddy acting. Frankenstein though... that is awesome.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby tapehead on Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:06 am

Yeah I'd say the late Eighties was the last time most of my favorite horror directors, and some of the brightest new Directors were largely the same dudes - I'm talking Cronenberg, Raimi, Carpenter (maybe already past his peak) Lynch - actually it's worth noting most of the all time great Horror directors didn't just make horror movies- the 'current vogue', including the prevalent 're-make mania', is gonna get worse before it gets better, IMO

I think there's promise for US Comedy Horror - a sub genre I'm not above enjoying, but otherwise I'd have to give this to Hideo Nakata
Rob Zombie would have got it for 'The Devil's Reject's' if I'd never seen a horror movie from the 1970's.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Chilli on Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:10 am

I think Carpenter was brilliant in his prime, but it's long since passed him. In terms of the future... I think we need a return to when everyone would make different style horrors really:

Raimi - comedic splatter.
Cronenburg - Psychological mind-frick.
Carpenter - Tense.

We have Roth doing the strangely funny stuff, but no-one really seems to be picking up the other sub-genres.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:19 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:what, no none of the above?

can't see any one of the listed candidates as being "the future" of horror...

unless the existential horror of being a b-movie h@ck counts.

which it doesn't.

so, sadly, I'm forced to "go with" Havoc.

again.

Trust me, in a couple of years or so, you will be very happy with your decision...

Just ask the one other person (cough*Doc*cough) on the board who has actually read my script...

Or maybe don't...either way...the fact I put myself on the poll was only about 50% joking...the other 50% is pure, unadulterated hope and shameless self promoting...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby darkjedijaina on Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:10 pm

Ugh, so I just finished watching Lucky McKee's The Woods. I really found it quite boring.

Bruce Campbell was in it, sure.... but, jeez. Yawn. Snore.

It was trying too hard or something. It seemed to be more mystery than horror, and even that was lame. I could tell right away what was happening, I had the story figured out from the beginning, and that's just boring, IMO.
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby havocSchultz on Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:17 pm

darkjedijaina wrote:Ugh, so I just finished watching Lucky McKee's The Woods. I really found it quite boring.

Bruce Campbell was in it, sure.... but, jeez. Yawn. Snore.

It was trying too hard or something. It seemed to be more mystery than horror, and even that was lame. I could tell right away what was happening, I had the story figured out from the beginning, and that's just boring, IMO.

Seconded...

And I didn't even make it to the end...I fell asleep...
But I know I didn't miss much because I've pretty much seen it all before...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby ThisLifeArtificial on Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:44 pm

Love Roth...as a person. He's seems like a really cool guy but I really can't get into his movies. There so...ugh.

At the minute, I'm leading towards Marshall. But I don't really feel this generation of horror directors will revolutionise horror like Carpenter did with Halloween. I don't really think the next master of the genre has been revealed.

At the minute, were getting series of horror films, some actually quite good, The Descent, for one, some bad, most average. I haven't seen a film that has truly made me go, "Wow, movie is scaring the fucking shit out of me, in a way I haven't been before".
ThisLifeArtificial
GLIB

Postby minstrel on Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:14 pm

ThisLifeArtificial wrote:Love Roth...as a person. He's seems like a really cool guy but I really can't get into his movies. There so...ugh.

At the minute, I'm leading towards Marshall. But I don't really feel this generation of horror directors will revolutionise horror like Carpenter did with Halloween. I don't really think the next master of the genre has been revealed.

At the minute, were getting series of horror films, some actually quite good, The Descent, for one, some bad, most average. I haven't seen a film that has truly made me go, "Wow, movie is scaring the fucking shit out of me, in a way I haven't been before".

Hi, TLA. Haven't seen you here before. Welcome to the Zone.

I don't normally watch horror films, though I've seen some of the classics (Halloween, Friday the 13th, etc., but not all those sequels).

It seems to me that horror is a limited genre, because so much of it seems to be about gore. And how far can you really push a splatterfest? Eventually, it seems to me, it stops being horrifying and starts being ridiculous.

Halloween scared the crap out of me because it WASN'T gory. It was a tremendous suspense film. What films in the past ten years or so have outdone Halloween in suspense? Or creep factor? As opposed to just, you know, buckets of blood?
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby WinslowLeach on Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:58 pm

I love Horror movies but I dont see some reigning King of Horror at this point. What I see alot now is alot of Extreme Gore which by itself doesnt do it for me, the directors really have to have more going on than just crazy gory sequences. It becomes monotonous and dull to me after awhile.

I think the Horror movies I like most are the ones that mix black comedy with psychological terror. They dont always have to be super gory either. Example: Texas Chainsaw Massacre 74. I like my gore too, but if theres nothing else around it, I dont care too much about it.

One of my favorite horror directors ever is Lucio Fulci. He made some of the most brilliantly stylized atmospheric horror films (and gialli) ever. He also knew how to shoot/utilize gore really well.
Last edited by WinslowLeach on Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Moriarty on Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:08 pm

What a silly, silly question.

I am the future of horror, obviously.

Sheeeeeesh.
Moriarty
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Adam Balm on Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:33 pm

:shock:

There are so many ways that could be interpreted.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:42 am

Moriarty wrote:What a silly, silly question.

I am the future of horror, obviously.

Sheeeeeesh.

We can share the 1 vote I received...(thnx to KCBC of course)
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Anti-Christ on Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:51 am

The future of horror is independent studios, bottom line. The only horror coming out of Hollywood is the mislabeling of crap as horror.
Image Creating worlds
Anti-Christ
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby silentbobafett on Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:59 am

I like Marshall's films.. and have read a few screenplays of this for curently unproduced films. He's pretty cool, close to being a hack. but I like his films.

HOWEVER, I was put off him as a director/person when he said in an interview (on the Dog Soldiers extras) that there had never been a decent werewolf movie. And as for the werewolf in American Werewolf in London? "Not very good"... I'm paraphrasing but, hopefully, you see why I see him in a jaded light!
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Re: The Future of Horror... (Now with Severed Head on a POLL)

Postby TheButcher on Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:58 am

From /film:
‘At the Mountains of Madness’ Not Yet Greenlit; Guillermo del Toro Talks About His Approach to Lovecraft
Russ Fischer wrote:The attraction of the film for del Toro is the prospect of returning to horror, and the fact that the scale of Lovecraft’s monsters should keep the movie firmly rooted in the genre.

Because the proportion is so big. When the monster has a dimension that allows you to humanize it, that’s the route I usually want to go. The cosmic proportions of the Lovecraft horror are so immense, it forces you to find humanity in other aspects of the tale. You can keep the monster inhuman, remote and scary, which is a great benefit.

And his claims about the realization of those monsters is, appropriately, also on a grand scale.

The way the creatures are rendered and done is going to bring forth an aspect of Lovecraft that has not been done on live action films. Part of my speech was, I’m putting all the chips I have accumulated in 20 years as a director, betting them on a single number. This is not just a movie and then move on to the next. It’s do or die time for me. Cameron does his movies like that every time and I find it surprising the way people judge success in retrospect, like, of course, I would have done that. Avatar was the largest gamble, again, so were Titanic and Terminator 2. I love that type of filmmaker, with those gigantic stainless steel balls, Alec Baldwin-style in Glengarry Glen Ross, fucking clanking together. You can’t explain success in retrospect.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:43 pm

Since we're talking about horror...

John Carpenter's "back" with The Ward, AICN has an early-ish reader review

And what the hell's Del Toro talking about? Buried? Never heard of it! Oh, that movie where the teaser is all in the dark except for three seconds of a dude screaming while sitting in a box ostensibly buried beneath the earth?

AICN's got a review for that too!

Both seem to be mixed bags.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby so sorry on Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:40 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:And what the hell's Del Toro talking about? Buried? Never heard of it! Oh, that movie where the teaser is all in the dark except for three seconds of a dude screaming while sitting in a box ostensibly buried beneath the earth?

AICN's got a review for that too!

just read that review, which was short on content and long on spoilers! Beware!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Re: The Future of Horror... (Now with Severed Head on a POLL

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:56 pm

Speaking of Buried, how about a review and interview by the fantastically thought provoking Sean (ignore their spelling) Lechowicz!

Review

Interview

For those not in the know, this is my little brother and newly crowned film critic for his college!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:57 am

so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:00 pm

Havoc Schultz's Halloween

i'd pay to see it.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger