Wasteland!!!!!! Whose reading it?

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Wasteland!!!!!! Whose reading it?

Postby silentbobafett on Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:30 am

Okay! SO whose got the new comic "Wasteland" yet?

Its fucking amazing!

My favorite subject post apocolyptic world! SOmething called the Big Wet wipes out mankind as we know it. Set 100 years later humans are trying to find their foothold on the world again. New reglions and beliefs. New languages, cities, towns everything.

And boy does it read good!

So anyway, just wondering whose read it and what they've got to say about it! I'm jazzed!

Oh and covers by the one and only Ben Templesmith! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:41 pm

Unlocked after mod discussion. Thanks for your patience.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby doglips on Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:47 pm

I'll let you know what I think of issue 2, when I read it tomorrow. 1 was pretty impressive.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby John-Locke on Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:49 pm

This sounds right up my alley, I may have to purchase this comic as part of my ongoing research into Post Apocalyptic stories.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby doglips on Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:51 pm

I think you'll like it JL, it's a very cinematic comic, in story and art.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:51 pm

John-Locke wrote:This sounds right up my alley, I may have to purchase this comic as part of my ongoing research into Post Apocalyptic stories.

heh, I was going to PM you in an uproar about possible plagiarism when I first read about it...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:58 pm

Like I mentioned in the Reviews thread...I picked up issues #1 and #2 because the DLO gave it high praise. I hope to read both issues this weekend.

Everyone who I have spoken too says this book is destined to become one of the greats. It has drawn a lot of Preacher comparisons.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:01 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
John-Locke wrote:This sounds right up my alley, I may have to purchase this comic as part of my ongoing research into Post Apocalyptic stories.

heh, I was going to PM you in an uproar about possible plagiarism when I first read about it...

Dang, thats what I was worried about :(
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:10 pm

John-Locke wrote:Dang, thats what I was worried about :(

I haven't read it yet (bought it today) but the review from the @ssholes a few weeks ago made it seemed like the creators of Wasteland had rifled through the contents of your brain for ideas...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:14 pm

Damn, I'll tell you now, the Post Apocalyptic storyline is going to be the next Zombie fad, by the time I pull my finger out my ass and get my script finished it will be old hat.

Maybe I'll have to wait 20 years until it becomes fresh again.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:17 pm

how about Post Apocalyptic Zombies?
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:27 pm

You have all turned this into a giant snowball getting ready to crush me. Guess I need to ask my friendly neighborhood retailer if he can get me #s 1-2.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby silentbobafett on Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:14 am

You will need to! Its amazing!

It is very cinematic indeed! Some GREAT artwork!

Issue 1 is 48pages! Lovely stuff!

They set up so many myths and possible story threads its crazy! Maybe too many... maybe they need a mod... :-)

Pass the word on - Wasteland rocks! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby doglips on Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:11 pm

mmmmm, issue 2 not so good I'm afraid. The art is still fantastic, but the story just drifts along aimlessly. There is a nearly very nice campfire story of the 'Big Wet' but it's not quite there - too much garbled mysticism for me - the art for this sequence is lovely though. Wulves? I hate those faux dialects, Wolves!! would have done just fine...... The end panel assumes I care about the character revealed to give a little cheer, but I don't know him well enough yet - more character build up is needed before I care about these people.

Something that made me chuckle whilst reading this issue was the fact that I had described the first issue as a cross between Waterworld and Mad Max - The Kevin Costner element cropped up again for me, not in The Postman ( as you might think with a post apocalyptic comic ) but Prince of Thieves: The Lord Founder of the city is just too Alan Rickmany.

Still looking forward to see what issue 3 brings though........
Last edited by doglips on Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby tfactor on Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:27 pm

Dog I have no idea what you were talking about above (at the end of your post there) :wink: but I still say; this sounds and looks really cool, might have to check this out.

thedoglippedone review wrote:I thought a thread where we can post reviews of the comics/TPB's/graphic novels ( old and new ) we are reading at the moment might be good.

I mentioned Wasteland #1 in Dennis's Comic of the month thread so I thought a mini-review was in order. ( You can read the first half of issue #1 for free as a download from the Wasteland site link above. There's plenty of info on the plot synopsis too. )

Well the first thing that is going to hit you is the artwork - WOW!. Beautifully drawn by Christopher Mitten, who obviously has a great eye for cinematic composition - couple that with some truly excellent page layouts and you feel like you are reading the most wonderfully executed storyboard for a sci-fi/western movie ever!

That's the genre mix I would put this in, think Waterworld combined with Mad Max and you are getting there.

Writer Antony Johnston has apparently been planning this story for over 15 years, so naturally the plot seems very tight. A few key factors are revealed in this issue, but this is really a tone setter for the series ahead. Spoilers - Hints of tele-kinetics and physic healers, forgotten languages and lands, a worldwide mystery as to WTF happened to the planet. The blurbs for issues 2&3 sound like there are a lot more good ideas to come.......

Very impressed indeed, a really good read with fantastic art. I highly recommend it.

7/10.
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:32 pm

For those interested...CBR has a 6-page preview of Wasteland #3.

6 PAGE PREVIEW GOODNESS!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:36 pm

That is a great cover. Art looks top notch as usual. Thats a lovely birds eye view panel.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:39 pm

Most definitely. I have loved the covers to each issue thus far. I honestly thought issue #1 was worth buying simply for the cover alone. It was so bad ass.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:47 pm

I hope this issue just sicks with the travelers, so we get to know their characters a little better, then swaps to New Begin for issue 4.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby silentbobafett on Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:13 am

SO what do we think of Wasteland Issue 3? New out this wednesday! Whose read it?

I personnelly loved it! Liked the introduction of a story ark. A 3 issue (thats correct, right?) arc about this caravan. Dark ending. More revealed, but not too much, about MIcheal.

Issue two was a bit of a let down, but I liked it none the less, this one picked up the ball though!

Just seeing what everyone else thought! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby John-Locke on Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:36 pm

I started reading these today, just got the last half of the third issue to read and then I can get issue 4.

FUCK ME, I was worried about how similar this story might be to the one I've been developing over the years, when the caravan turned up I was dumbstruck, it's almost exactly the same world I have been creating in my head.

So yeah it's pretty good stuff, the world it's set in is great but so far I've not found very much story yet, only set-up.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby silentbobafett on Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:22 am

So kind of like Lost then... :-)

ANyway, whats the thoughts on Issue 4? I like that is spent time in New Begin and the troubles there.

My comic dude said that they don't sell well and I'm worried if this is like it is across the board then maybe the comic will be canceled!

I don't know much about the industry, but I'm guess its like everything else...:-(

:-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby offtheset on Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:49 pm

This sounds like its right up my alley, Ill be sure to check it out.
I'd love some feedback on my site:

http://www.MovieSet.com
offtheset
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Return to Comic Books