King Kong Extended Cut

Betamax and beyond

Postby John-Locke on Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:36 pm

Well I loved the theatrical cut, saw it twice in the Cinema and enjoyed it both times, more so on the second time actually. My biggest gripe with the film is I think the Empire State scene goes on a little too long and by the time Kong gets taken down the scene has lost a little tension and a sense of immediacy.

Can't wait to see the Swamp scene and the scene with Kong and Anne communicating next to a statue of his ancestors, if we get a bit of closure on Jimmy I'll be very happy.

I'll be buying this as soon as I can get my hands on it.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:58 pm

John-Locke wrote:My biggest gripe with the film is I think the Empire State scene goes on a little too long and by the time Kong gets taken down the scene has lost a little tension and a sense of immediacy.

I loved that whole scene. It could've gone on and on and on and I wouldn't of cared.

The photoreal shots from atop the Empire State Building, looking down on Manhattan and the rest of NY are some of the greatest individual shots I've ever seen on film. I was (internally) clapping during the T-Rex showdown. I audibly gasped when I saw those shots. 'Prolly contributed to me giving the film a B, 'cuz as others (aka ZSS) have said, that script could've used a knob polish.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:04 pm

It certainly looked georgeous I just feel like Kong should have been taken away from us quicker after sharing the view with Anne, it would have had greater emotional impact on me if by the time he finally died I wasn't actually wishing he'd be put out of his misery because of the torture he was being put through by those fuckers in the planes.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:07 pm

See, the thing I hate about the Kong story is the ending. It feels like there should be a coda afterward instead of the forced hug between Ann and Jack on top of the Empire and then the final bit with Denham below.

Are the characters' journeys really resolved at that moment?
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby DennisMM on Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:54 am

TheBaxter wrote:
MasterWhedon wrote:As it is now, it feels like King Kong with Jackson pausing every now and then for a drum solo.

that about sums it up perfectly for me. i enjoyed the film, but c'mon... it's a GIANT MONKEY MOVIE!!!!

I remember burl and I saying that more than once in the original movie review thread. It was nice and tight at 100 minutes in '33. It doesn't need a lot of character development.
Last edited by DennisMM on Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Shane on Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:57 am

I liked Kong, but I feel it could have been cut down alot especially towards the end. I don't see an extended version as something I want to go buy.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:01 am

MasterWhedon wrote:See, the thing I hate about the Kong story is the ending. It feels like there should be a coda afterward instead of the forced hug between Ann and Jack on top of the Empire and then the final bit with Denham below.

Are the characters' journeys really resolved at that moment?

Philip Jose Farmer wrote an interesting story, "After Kong Fell," that touched on that briefly. By the time Ann gets down to the street, the place is awash in gorilla blood and people are cutting off Kong's hair and even flesh as souveniers. Denham winds up being sued by hundreds of people and the city.

The story is told from the point of view of a young boy who got in to see Kong but whose aunt, whom he adored, was sick and missed the show. When they finally cut up Kong and tote him away, they find the body of the blonde woman he picked up, sniffed and threw away. Yep, the aunt, who had been cheating on her husband and begged off sick to be with her lover. It messes with how the film actually played, but it's powerfully sad.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby dimnix on Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:21 am

The extended edition is only 13 minutes longer. And if it includes the scenes I'm expecting it to, it'll be well worth watching.
dimnix
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:32 am

DennisMM wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:
MasterWhedon wrote:As it is now, it feels like King Kong with Jackson pausing every now and then for a drum solo.

that about sums it up perfectly for me. i enjoyed the film, but c'mon... it's a [size=29]GIANT MONKEY MOVIE!!!!

I remember burl and I saying that more than once in the original movie review thread. It was nice and tight at 100 minutes in '33. It doesn't need a lot of character development.

See I disagree. I love the original King Kong but the worst thing about it is the humans aside from Denham.
I never cared for Ann or Jack or Englehorn in the original. Denham was the only fully fleshed out character and everyone else runs around as 2d caricatures and cliches (I always just chalked this up to the time period). I thought the best thing PJ did was to try and give Jack and Ann fuller backstories. Ann improved the most as a result is perhaps the most likeable character in the film. Unfortunately he also tried to give Jimmy et al as much face time as the big three to give more impact to the cannon fodder deaths on the Island. The problem pacing wise isn't the dino scene or the bugs etc it's shifting attention to Jimmy, Preston, Hayes, Choy, Lumpy and Baxter. If it wasn't a remake of one of the most famous films ever made then perhaps it wouldn't seem like wasting time but since most of the audience is atleast somewhat familiar with the subject matter most know ahead of time that the story comes down to Ann, Jack and Denham. That's what the film could stand to lose not the action sequences.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:03 am

Kaga is a smart man.

Give the man a booby prize!
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Evil Hobbit on Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:10 am

the GIFTSET Collectible

Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:45 am

Brit Pop wrote:I remember in the theatrical trailer for Kong - you see the search party on a raft in the middle of the swamp being pursued by a large underwater dino (probably similar to the 1933 bit.

This bit never made it into the final cut so I'm looking forward to that.

I'm actually not looking forward to that. 'Course, no one's making me buy the DVD, but when people use the term "overlong" to describe this movie, this shit is why. How many strange creature attacks do we really need to see? It becomes completely uninvolving after a while.

I thought King Kong 2005 was good when I saw it in theaters. It's an excellent theater movie, really. I agree that a lot of parts could have been cut though, and I have little desire to see it again, and I'm still not really sure what the point of Jimmy the Cabin Boy and his mysterious origins are. Nor do I really understand the Heart of Darkness motif. I think any connection King Kong has to Heart of Darkness is superficial. The thing that bugged me the most, however, has to be that herky-jerky slo-mo that was used on-and-off throughout the proceedings. Fuck that shit. It's got to be one of PJ's most annoying stylistic inclinations. "S-K-U-L-L..." If there's a way they can digitally remove THAT crap from the movie in this extended cut, then I'll consider buying it. :wink:
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:27 am

THANKYOU RIBBONS.

That fucking overediting shit ruined the sense of place he'd instilled in the first section of the film. I really enjoyed the attention to detail of the first part of the movie, but as soon as they step on the ship, we get pointless games with time followed by handycam slo-mo wank. These games did a lot to bring down the quality of the film.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby r8hitman on Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:36 pm

Everytime I watch this movie it seems to get longer and longer, now they're going to "intentionally" make it longer??

I dont think so.

This movie went on the shelf right next to the Hulk, and I dont have any intentions on buying another version. :roll:
r8hitman
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby sonnyboo on Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:48 pm

I bought this new extended cut and watched it (with some notable fast forwarding through the boringest parts). The new scenes weren't all that amazing or adding anything deep or meaningful, but fun to look at.

No one's buying THIS one for the cut, but for the commentary, making of's, and additional extras. The extras are really really good, and it was affordable at Best Buy.

This was not the best movie, but it didn't suck too bad either. I love the MAKING OF as a long documentary, and this was very different than the PRODUCTION DIARIES.
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:31 pm

I will be buying it for the cut of the film.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby dimnix on Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:39 pm

Swamp scene is cool but a bit disappointing, I can see why it was cut.

The ceratops scene (which is the proper first interaction the venture crew have with a dinosaur) is great and shouldn't have been cut.

The bird is back in there, it's a quick bit but as it was the only creature actually physically built for the film (and something I worked on) I'm glad it's there.

The other bits are really quick, but mostly great. More Kong rampaging in the village and in New York.

And the added bit at the end of the bug pit scene does add to both Jimmy and Denham's characters.

So, good stuff. The swamp scene could still go, but the rest of the added stuff works great.

And the extras are fantastic.

Oh, and disappointingly the scene with the statue of Kong isn't back in the film, or even in the deleted scenes. I'm not sure why. Maybe they never actually filmed it.
dimnix
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:50 pm

When we will see a King Kong Shortened Edition? Where the 60 minutes worth of story is made into a 60 minute film?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby sonnyboo on Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:00 pm

dimnix wrote:And the added bit at the end of the bug pit scene does add to both Jimmy and Denham's characters.

But not much...
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby dimnix on Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:51 pm

sonnyboo wrote:But not much...

Yeah, it is pretty minimal, but it's something. Gives Jimmy a tiny sense of closure as a character.

And I really like Denhams bit in the added bug pit stuff.
dimnix
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby sonnyboo on Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:15 pm

Overall, I still like the movie a lot, but I agree with most that it already ran too long. Funnily enough, Peter Jackson, fielding criticism from the special editions of the LOTR said that if he put out the long verson first, people would have lambasted them... turns out he was right in this case.

The extended cut is not bad at all, and really isn't that much longer. There were things (like the ice sliding in the park) that I felt never should have been in in the first place, and other scenes that dragged on too long and I found myself using the fast forward button (even 16x) a lot.

The documentary was good, even after seeing all the 2 DVD's of Production Diaries. The movie isn't as important to me as how it was made... but then again, that's not what most people care about.
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:52 am

I'll probably get the EE since I didn't get the original version yet. I didn't think KK was great, but I liked it. The only thing I thought slowed the movie down was when it focused on anyone outside of the main four (Kong, Denham, Darrow, Driscoll (is there any significance to the three human leads all having last names that start with D?)).
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:35 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:I never cared for Ann or Jack or Englehorn in the original.

Englehorn though, he come inna to a his own inna the Son of a the Kong, no? Anna Charlie too...
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby WinslowLeach on Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:41 pm

Extended Cut? This piece of crap should be SHORTENED! In fact, take the negative and clip it until its not there anymore! DAMN!
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:55 pm

Jeez Winslow how do you really feel?
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby WinslowLeach on Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:17 pm

Sorry, but sitting through the regular cut was bad enough.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:24 pm

Heh heh - is this more Winslow"Rage Against The Machine"Leach I see before me?

Yes, yes it is!

My day is now complete :D
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:23 pm

The Dino, he remembers a the old Winslow, eh? The funny putz who used a to make a the funny posters... what happen to a that Winslow? The new one, he is alla mean anna angry alla the time...
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Doc Holliday on Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:52 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:The Dino, he remembers a the old Winslow, eh? The funny putz who used a to make a the funny posters... what happen to a that Winslow? The new one, he is alla mean anna angry alla the time...

Heh - but I LIKE the new improved Winslow! Reminds me of those innocent days when I was rooting for the peanut-flicking Superman to PWN Clark once and for all.

I wish the new Winslow a better future (stay away from Car-Breaking yards dude)
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:56 pm

Yeah but the guy is right. Stop mocking the Win. The new Kong I watched for a second time the other month, and I found it to be utterly exhausting. Far too padded out and long, just an exercise in how to use excess in a ruining way. About 2/3rds through that film, I was ready to call the film finished, I was done with it, I wanted to leave. Film's too long, admit it. NOW JUST HURRY BLOODY UP WITH THAT LINGERING LOOK TO ANN DARROW AND FALL OFF THAT BUILDING ALREADY!!!!

The way you're all picking on Winslow also, is like your sending out planes to buzz around his head and shoot him down.

That's all you guys ever ever do. Just shoot them down man!! What's wrong with you guys. You just gotta shoot them doooowwnnn, don't you!!!!!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Doc Holliday on Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:02 pm

Kirk - for the last time, I'm not mocking Winslow - he's been making me laugh pretty much non-stop for the past week. And that's laugh with, not at.

Take your little spoon and go stir some shit elsewhere you miscreant! :P
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:07 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:Take your little spoon and go stir some shit elsewhere you miscreant! :P

Yes, like over inna the Pub Dink-a-Touch, eh?

Oh wait...
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby WinslowLeach on Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:08 pm

I'm not mad ALL the time Teh Dino! I just get uncontrollably pissed at this movie for some reason! I cant HEP it!

Great AV btw Maestro! 8)
Last edited by WinslowLeach on Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:09 pm

Hehehehe.... fair enough....
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:09 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:Kirk - for the last time, I'm not mocking Winslow - he's been making me laugh pretty much non-stop for the past week. And that's laugh with, not at.

Just a spoonful of sugar, helps the medicine, go down.
The medicine.
Go down.
The medecine.
Go down.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Doc Holliday on Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:09 pm

Damn :lol:

"There is no spoon.....there is no spoon"
Last edited by Doc Holliday on Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bean on Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:09 pm

WinslowLeach wrote:I'm not mad all the time Teh Dino! I just get uncontrollably mad at this movie! I cant HEP it!

You also lose all sense of spelling too eh??

I kid... :P
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby WinslowLeach on Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:10 pm

HEP is my new word. No more HELP. Its HEP.

Its the hillbilly way of saying Help.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:11 pm

Kirk needs hep...
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:11 pm

Hehehe... as in, "holy crappa, somebody HEP a the Dino, eh? I been a the hypmotize!"
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby WinslowLeach on Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:12 pm

Zactly.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:27 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
Doc Holliday wrote:Kirk - for the last time, I'm not mocking Winslow - he's been making me laugh pretty much non-stop for the past week. And that's laugh with, not at.

Just a spoonful of sugar, helps the medicine, go down.
The medicine.
Go down.
The medecine.
Go down.

Alright, who edited me again? I wouldn't mind, but I was proud of my original joke. I thought it worked in more ways than one.

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
Doc Holliday wrote:Take your little spoon and go stir some shit elsewhere you miscreant! :P

Bend over then.

That's what it was meant to say. Like Kong, let's just leave the brilliant original with Jessica Lange alone OK?

Unless, you, you want to get Kong's finger to remove just that little bit more of her dress, that is.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:09 pm

God that 76 version blows.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:19 pm

Philistine!
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:44 pm

I can't keep it bottled up!
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby sonnyboo on Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:34 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:That's what it was meant to say. Like Kong, let's just leave the brilliant original with Jessica Lange alone OK?

The "ORIGINAL" kong from 1976???????

A bad bad bad sick joke.
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby WinslowLeach on Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:39 pm

Its not. It REALLY is not. I feel its a great update of the original and I will defend it til I die.

Its def a masterpiece compared to PJs CGI-POS. It lacked heart and soul big time. The characters sucked, the acting sucked. It just sucked across the board.

Its not supposed to be about the FX, its about the characters and how they relate to each other and Kong. If you like the characters (which I did in the 30s/70s versions) you can look past the big fake Kong hand etc. Just like the original. That wasnt realistic, and people (including me) love that movie.
Last edited by WinslowLeach on Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:46 pm

Winslow, paisan, have a you ever seen a the beaches of a the Santorini? Would a you like a to?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby WinslowLeach on Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:50 pm

Teh Dino, we gotta stick together!
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:15 am

Winslow has got to be kidding when stating the characters in the '76 version are anything close to the original...
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to DVD / Blu-ray