What have you been watching? (DVD or Films on TV)

Betamax and beyond

Postby silentbobafett on Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:42 am

You are alone Dennis!

For a long time True Romance was my fave film ever!!!

I love it!

Its not now, it might have been nudged out of my top ten, MAYBE! But it still reflects, maybe me, but defiantly puts up on the screen a hero geek. And I'm a ggek. And what geek doesn't want to be a hero!

Falling in love over a sonny chiba triple bill is just wow!

Nope, I can't handle complaints! Its fucking awesome! :-) I'd like changes to the end but this is neither the time nor the place

I don't know how any dizzy in love with films and comics geek could hate it! Maybe not love it. BUt hate it?

Naaah its soooo fucking cool! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:15 am

english, motherfucker, do you speak it?
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby silentbobafett on Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:31 am

Who me? Nope... I speak part American, Part English and Part Silentbobafettian...

you should give it a go...

I'll sell you a translator muthafucker.... :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby The Vicar on Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:35 am

Vegeta wrote:
The Vicar wrote:I have all but three of those DVDs on my shelf.
Very nice haul.

Is that a Chtulu plush toy?
wow
boy
neat

Indeed, and it's a puppet! Don't mean to steal BobSaMonkeys av thunder, but it cracked me up when I saw it!

That is so frakking tits!!!
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Vegeta on Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:21 am

The Vicar wrote:
Vegeta wrote:
The Vicar wrote:I have all but three of those DVDs on my shelf.
Very nice haul.

Is that a Chtulu plush toy?
wow
boy
neat

Indeed, and it's a puppet! Don't mean to steal BobSaMonkeys av thunder, but it cracked me up when I saw it!

That is so frakking tits!!!

I know! I couldn't agree more... frakking tits!!!
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Mr. Hyde on Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:54 am

-Lady Vengence

-Lucky Number Sleve

-Wallace and Grommit (The new one)

-The Fog (Original)

-Ginger Snaps

-American Werewolf in London

-TCM (remake)

I dunno.. prolly more.. my job is so slow.. i sit and watch movies on my iPod.. its great. So yea.. i watched all those over the course of the week.. actually i haven't watched Lady Vengence yet.. i bought it.. and can't wait to see it. Chan Parker-Wook (?) is thee greatest revenge film-maker EVER!! EVER!!!
Mr. Hyde
GLIB

Postby Lady Sheridan on Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:18 am

I watched Underworld 1 and 2. They weren't as bad as I thought they would be. It would be nice to have a vampire film that wasn't just an extended Hot Topic fantasy though...
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby DennisMM on Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:27 am

silentbobafett wrote:I don't know how any dizzy in love with films and comics geek could hate it! Maybe not love it. BUt hate it?

Naaah its soooo fucking cool! :-)

It's the worst thing Tarantino ever wrote. Ever. Including Natural Born Killers (which I know was shredded by Stone). No one sounds at all like a human being. All the dialogue is self-conscious cleverness.

Ten years later, Pulp Fiction stands up as a genre tribute. The silliness usually works because we understand this isn't a straight film -- it's a takeoff. Reservoir Dogs shows some of this, but it remains QT's best script in my opinion. I like it when he plays straight, which is why I didn't see Kill Bill in theaters and won't see Grindhouse until it's on DVD.
Last edited by DennisMM on Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby silentbobafett on Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:04 pm

BUt I love the selfaware stuff! It's like Tarantino has created a world in which film geeks can be heroes, we can talk about Spiderman issue 1 and pull birds! Don't you dream of such a day!?!

I have to classes for tarantino's films: the ones he has directed and the ones he hasn't.

True Romance is my fave of the written ones.

BUt I'll go with you on Resivoir Dogs! I love that film! Thats my fave of his!

As for not seeing Kill Bill or Grindhouse - maaaan these are films for film geeks. They're almost not like other films. I'm sure there are people out there thinking "What happened to the guy that made Pulp Fiction" well Kill Bill et al are the just an extension. Each film he has made is just about a genre or style of filmmaking that he loves. For me Kill Bill was its pinnacle - it was just every exploitation film wet dream in one movie. I fucking loved it! Getting to see Shaw Brothers logo in a cinema - maaan that ruled!

I thought Kill Bill was the pinnacle but I hope Tarantino goes and goes! See Grindhouse - - is he's horror homage. As we all know. Its just great to see a guy whose making films for himself, but not in a FUCK YOU, kind of way (but he does have that to him) but its a: if you wanna like this kind of film -come and see them. But because he is so drunk on films that its almost like he's making these films so people will discover his influences.

He is trying to create geeks! The kind of people who made Kill Bill a success aren't the kind of people who would see, I dunno, Lady Snowblood for example.

But after seeing Kill Bill and hearing Tarantino go on about its influences, they might try it.

I know you're not saying you don't like his films' but I find it hard to like one and not the other. I love Jackie Brown soooo fucking much and get upset with its barrage of abuse. Its fucking Aces!

But True Romance... wow man... that film was just seeing my fantasies acted out when I was a teenager man. And I just thought that was what all geeks would see...

love it! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:05 pm

i watched lucky number slevin last night. this movie threw me for a loop. all the advertising for the film, and the first half of it, it's like a silly, goofy, light-hearted mistaken-identity crime caper... then BAM! halfway through, the whole tone changes completely, lots of characters turn out to be not at all who or what we thought they were, and its like being hit by a sledgehammer. i'm kinda mixed on the film. part of me admires the big switcheroo they pull, but another part of me feels a bit suckered. it's like they lured you into it with all this candy, just to stuff a dirty sweaty sock down your mouth. the other part is, i liked the movie that the second half of this was, better than the movie that the first half was on its way to being. if the whole film had the same tone and intensity as the last half, i may have liked it more. on the other hand, maybe it was that big switch that made me sit up and take notice and get more involved in the second half. i don't really know. but the movie that this became in the end is much more down my alley than the movie it started out as. i can easily imagine people who got pulled into this thinking it was something funny and light, then suddenly getting the rug pulled out from them and seeing the film turn into something totally different from what they wanted to see, how those people could be pissed off.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby silentbobafett on Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:08 pm

Of course the Big Swithc in Lucky Number Slevin is what the whole film is aboutl The style in filmaking changes to because its doing a... oh fuck what did they call it? A Boston Shuffle or something! You know what I mean...

The film is doing to you what the characters are doing to each other and I thought it worked! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:31 pm

DennisMM wrote:I appear to be the only human being on the planet who hated True Romance. In fact, I named it as a Film I Want to Destroy in the early days of the Zone. The dialogue in the opening twenty minutes made me actively dislike the protagonists.

No. You're NOT alone there Dennis mate. You're not ALONE. The more I think about this film and watch it, the more I dislike it, developing towards a HATE level. I don't wanna go into it at length as I ain't got time, as I've just got my internet back and have a lengthy appointment with some chicks to honour. But trust me, I think this film is a piece of evil in many respects. I think I took out some anger on it in the Overrated Movies thread, although I'm still not finsihed grinding my axe into it's ass.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby so sorry on Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:00 pm

Vegeta wrote:I've picked up (in the last two week, mind you):
The Godfather (what else needs to be said..?)

ummm, what took you so long?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby DennisMM on Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:05 pm

silentbobafett wrote:BUt I love the selfaware stuff! It's like Tarantino has created a world in which film geeks can be heroes, we can talk about Spiderman issue 1 and pull birds! Don't you dream of such a day!?!

EDIT

As for not seeing Kill Bill or Grindhouse - maaaan these are films for film geeks. They're almost not like other films. I'm sure there are people out there thinking "What happened to the guy that made Pulp Fiction" well Kill Bill et al are the just an extension. Each film he has made is just about a genre or style of filmmaking that he loves. For me Kill Bill was its pinnacle - it was just every exploitation film wet dream in one movie. I fucking loved it! Getting to see Shaw Brothers logo in a cinema - maaan that ruled!

I saw both volumes of Kill Bill, but on DVD. Perhaps that wasn't clear. I thought it was simplistic and a great step backward from the maturity of Jackie Brown. It's as if QT worried his geek cred was dwindling and fled to the comfort of genre.

I know you're not saying you don't like his films' but I find it hard to like one and not the other. I love Jackie Brown soooo fucking much and get upset with its barrage of abuse. Its fucking Aces!

The films are vastly different. RD and JB are character dramas. PF is genre tribute & extrapolation into the 1990s with a sense of humor and more than a little pretentiousness. Kill Bill is momentary fun. I saw it and have no interest in rewatching QT's heavy-handed "tribute" to Hong Kong cinema. Technically it has some wonderful moments, but it has no heart. There are no characters, just bodies to keep the plot rolling.

But True Romance... wow man... that film was just seeing my fantasies acted out when I was a teenager man. And I just thought that was what all geeks would see...

love it! :-)

I was 30 when TR came out, though I didn't see it (part of it -- I stopped after half an hour and skipped to the ending) until a few years later. By that point, barring the cocaine and gangsters, I'd lived a decent geek's life.(Not bragging here, just pointing out some experiences that might be considered geek fun.)

I was friends with the owner of one of the best comics shops in the Midwest. I'd edited a small but well-respected comics fanzine and wrote an essay that was quoted in American Film magazine. I'd been cursed out and apologized to by Harlan Ellison; gotten a lengthy phone call from George Perez; sold CDs to and chatted with Max Allan Collins and Dan Jurgens; had the late, legendary letterhack T.M. Maple stay in my house for a week; been recognized on repeated occasions by the late Julius Schwartz (who always thought I'd worked for him); seen one of my friends go to work for Marvel on a high-profile title; and got drunk and danced to the Stones with Bill Sienkiewicz. Not long after all that I met a semi-geek woman on the internet -- we've been together for over nine years.

I didn't need the QT/Tony Scott violent fantasy. I'd lived more than a little of my own geek life and my untreated mental illness (bipolar disorder) added all the dangerous thrills I needed.

Also, I hate Tony Scott. :D

Glad you get such a kick out of the movie.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby tangerine on Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:26 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:
tangerine wrote:DU DES!!! I saw TRUE ROMANCE for the first time eva the other day. What a fooking incredibly amazing film!! I just need to share this experience. Can't believe I haven't seen it before. Definitely the best dialogue Tarantino has ever written.

Image !!!!!!!

Shouldn't you be on Myspace with the rest of us?

Dude, I'm a busy woman. Have patience.
tangerine
AIRWOLF

Postby Brocktune on Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:07 pm

so i watched "Cannibal Holocaust" last night.

yeah.

makes salo kind of look like a disney production.

definitely not a "feel good" movie.

i also found the animal cruelty to be particularly offensive. i just didnt see how it was necessary to the film in anyway that the animals be real. i went to imdb to see if i could find a valid argument for its inclusion. i couldnt. what most people had to say was stuff like "they are dead now, get over it." or "its the way of the jungle". im not going to go into my views regarding hunting and the consumption of animals, but needless to say, if they cant see why it wasnt cool, then fuck em anyways.

and for a low budgeted film, many of the effects in this flick look surprisingly real. seriously

oh yeah, and the guys that made "The Blair Witch Project" (which i liked) totally ripped this flick off.

so if you are looking for a flick that will test the limits of what you can handle seeing on screen, if you like movies that feature extensive scenes of rape, torture, mutillation, and savage cruelty, then this is the movie for you. let nothing stop you from checking this flick out.
"Cannibal Holocaust"
huh
should have been called "Animal Holocaust".
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:11 pm

If they'd avoided the animal sacrifice/torture scenes I'd gladly see this just to experience R. Bolla in a non-pr0n role.
DennisMM

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:13 pm

i'm not sure, but isnt there an option on the dvd that lets you skip the animal torture/mutilation scenes?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Brocktune on Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:33 pm

yes there is, which i discovered immediately after i had finished viewing the film complete.

although, even i had've known that the option was there, i probably would have watched it with the cruelty in anyways. i wanted to see the flick as the director intended, even if it contained material that i found to be highly objectionable. i just thought that if i watched a truncated version, i couldnt possibly judge it accurately.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:36 pm

oh, and its just an "animal cruelty free" version.
all the other stuff is still in there.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Vegeta on Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:02 pm

so sorry wrote:
Vegeta wrote:I've picked up (in the last two week, mind you):
The Godfather (what else needs to be said..?)

ummm, what took you so long?

Well, I just finally got around to picking it up...

I mean, jeez, I would of picked it up sooner...

No, you're right... I have no excuse... :oops:
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:04 pm

You can only get the heavily edited version in this country apparently. The full-on version is still a video nasty.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Vegeta on Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:05 pm

Fried Gold wrote:You can only get the heavily edited version in this country apparently. The full-on version is still a video nasty.

Which country? :?
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:08 pm

Sorry, UK.

The BBFC cleared it for release but with almost everything but the spider death edited out.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Vegeta on Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:23 pm

Oh, I was gonna say, you can get the unrated version in the U.S.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby TheBaxter on Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:23 pm

i just watched 'smokey and the bandit'

there've been a lot of 70s and 80s comedies on cable lately, and it's interesting to see how they hold up nowadays. police academy didn't hold up so well. smokey and the bandit, on the other hand, held up surprisingly well

i think a big part of that is the cast. burt reynolds is just playing himself, but it was in the prime of his charming leading man days. it's hard to believe burt was once a bigger star than brad pitt or tom cruise are now. sally field was pretty cute, she's really there just to give burt someone to play off of, but she makes something out of it. when i saw this as a kid, i remember really liking jerry reed as snowman (but where was the falcon?) and i still do, he really is perfect to play a truck driver. it's strange he hasn't done many more acting roles, since he seems pretty good on screen.

but jackie gleason really steals the movie as sherrif buford t. justice. he's got so many funny lines, and his delivery is perfect. one of the funniest lines in a movie ever is when he tells his dimwit son, after saying there's no way he could be the father of someone so dumb, "first thing i'm gonna do when i get home is punch your momma in the mouth!" and when the top of their squad car is ripped off and the son says, "daddy, the top came off," the way he says "no shit" is classic. i remember my friends and i copying the way he said "no shit" after seeing the movie... when our parents werent around of course.

speaking of the son: a completely incompetent total moron from texas, who followed the same career path as his dad... something about that sounds strangely familiar...

the movie itself is basically a big long chase scene, not much plot, but it's consistently entertaining. i may have enjoyed it more because it's about cross-country truckers. my daddy used to be a trucker, then became a mechanic who worked on 18-wheelers. so i remember being fascinated by that trucker culture as a kid, and there's still a part of it that seems appealing. the freedom of the road, i guess. this could also possibly explain my irrational love for b.j. and the bear.

i'm surprised this isn't one of the million or so movies getting remade. but dukes of hazzard ripped off the premise, then they turned that show into a movie, so i guess it's been remade in a way. hopefully they'll keep it at that, i can just see them making a new smokey and the bandit with ashton kutcher as the bandit.

this weekend beverly hills cop and back to the future are also coming on, so more 80s classic comedy to look forward to.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby silentbobafett on Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:19 am

Last night watched Soylent Green

I love me my end of the world / what if? in the future kind of films.

This is film is set just before Humanity is completly fucked. Well, actually, they are fucked, they just ain't all dead yet!

Soylent Green, for those who don't know, is a film about the world addicted to a drug, that drug is Soylent Green!

Sounds fucking good, no?

I love me my Heston as well - so I had high hopes! Maybe they were to high!

The film was good, ney - okay! Some great bits (edward G Robinson in his final screen role springs to mind!)

But it felt like a film that was just to thin! I imagine those who read the book before this came out would have been deeply dissapointed - like we are going to be with I AM LEGEND. Or am I wrong - is the book the same?

There are some nice touches and a great end - the kind of end that you couldn't do to day - and if you could - I AM LEGEND would be a place to start!

ANyway, what others think of this film. Good - but no masterpiece of the genre is my feeling! :-)

I also watched Studio 60 ep 3, Jericho ep3 and Heroes ep2

All good - 60 and heroes hit greatness at times! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby unikrunk on Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:50 pm

Holy Crap! I found a gem this weekend; the entire animated series Return to Planet of The Apes.

Good God - it is as funny as Venture Bros., but was certainly not intended to be. I have watched three episodes so far, and it is amazing:

- sub-par animation, even for 1975

- completely insane dialogue, and I mean that; insane.

- Plot lines that go nowhere

- Excellent music

- The only mono-sound DVD I have ever heard.

/now, if they would just release Star Trek TAS, life would be complete in the uni-dome :)
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:36 pm

Over the weekend I caught A Knight's Tale on TV. Completely harmless and throwaway stuff with a seriously wonky eyed Rufus Sewell and Heath Ledger looking like an out of work 70's porn star (especially when strutting his stuff on the medieval dance floor to 'Golden Years'). Paul Bettany stole the whole show IMO, camping it up no end with a nutty and comic performance.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:58 am

Last night me and my flatmate had a double-bill of Red Eye followed by Slither.

Red Eye is a pretty much standard, by-the-numbers Hitchcockian thriller boosted by some good performances from Rachel McAdams and an icy Cillian Murphy. Brian Cox phones it in (literally) and the rest of the cast are largely forgettable, and if there's one thing the movie teaches us it's that Wes Craven is possibly better off sticking to horror. The direction is pretty limp and he completely blows his wad towards the end, unable to sustain the tension of a reasonably rivetting first half and turning Cillian's "manager" into a comedy goon.

It's also got the worst case of movie signposting I've ever seen - moments that are clearly there only to ram home plot points. Like Rachel's character phoning the office about an important VIP, later seen on television, who's then made out as a family man to make you feel more for him when the inevitable happens.

Overall, pretty flat. Shame, really, as the parts on the plane with Murphy and McAdams are top notch.

Slither is one of the sickest films I've ever seen. It's not necessarily the goriest, but it moves enough revolting slime around in its runtime to make me feel queasy. It's funny in a Lake Placid/Arachnaphobia/Eight Legged Freaks kinda way, which'll either hit home like it did me or bypass you entirely, but also contains enough warmth to keep you rooting for even the monster.

Nathan Fillion plays Mal... er... sorry, I mean Bill Parly, a local sherrif, whose otherwise boring existence is despoilt by the arrival of an intergalatic virus. Basically, if you liked him in Firefly, chance are pre-tty high you'll love him in this. Michael Rooker the first victim, a not particularly attractive man married to the beautiful Starla, played by Elizabeth Banks, who Fillion has a crush on.

Rooker gives a great performance even when surrounded by literally tons of latex, a man out of control of his own body but still in love with his wife. It's this which forms the emotional core of an otherwise very, very silly movie. Yet despite this it still manages to give some effective "eeugh" moments, although not necessarily many shocks.

The alien virus is very effectively portrayed and it's nice to see, FOR ONCE, where it came from and have some kind of backstory to an inhuman enemy. The film does suffer a bit from having the occasional weak moment and a duffer of an ending, but its simply so much fun as a ride it's all easily forgiven.

However, the most amusing thing was how my local Blockbuster had marked its genre on the box.

"Horror Sports" anyone? :)
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:10 am

I watched "An Inconvenient Truth" last night and found it to be pretty good. I was embarrassed at how much of the information contained within it was actually new to me.

I was watching it to see if there was a sensationalist angle to it...or if it was just a true message, so to speak - and I came away from it pretty convinced of Gore's sincerity...not least of all because he was able to demonstrate how he's been beating this drum...and more importantly actually doing something about it..for over two decades.

I found the section all about how the melting of the Arctic polar cap is likely to fuck up the Gulf Stream and thereby induce a new Ice Age to be the most alarming - but let's face it...none of it is good news for the planet.

Despite teh Struggling Background Artist in my office today that has now taken to calling me "Tree Hugger" (I've just unscrewed the bolts in his chair though, so we'll see who's laughing when he comes back from lunch) - I'm so not "Mr Environmental"...but I will try to do a bit more than I have done. Stuff like turning off appliances instead of leaving them on standby...turning lights off when not in the room any more..stuff like that. I'm not sure its enough though...but I guess we're all going to find out in our own lifetime so we'll see huh? 7/10

Good Night and Good Luck I keep reflecting on....I didn't find the film itself to be fantastic....but I did find it to be important and not to have put a foot wrong. I thought it did an excellent job of presenting facts without overly commenting on them...well....I mean, it commented on them when it came to McCarthy, sure - most notably through Murrow himself....but even then we are given Frank Langella's studio owner as a nice counter-balance to Straithairn's presenter.

I thought it was almost just as interesting for showing other aspects of professional life at that time - for example CBS crusading against the Senator whilst at the same time applying the mores about married couples working for them. I found Downey Jnr's story as interesting as anyone else's in this film. For some reason I wasn't particularly sympathetic towards Hallenbeck though - probably because nobody else seemed to be. so you got bad notices...so what? don't read O'Brien then! But I don't know much about the real-life character - I'm guessing he had clinical depression or some such variation - either way the film let this character down IMO.

As a non-American this is the closest I've come to understanding the very real terror of the witch-hunts..and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have been as effective without the use of genuine newsreel footage. Nice to see Black and White being used appropriately and not as a conceit for once.

7/10

I've said it before but I'll say it again....I applaud Clooney for what he is doing in terms of the films he is making and the productions he is throwing his weight and influence behind. Quite often you read a piece about how mainstream cinema is all the same...lowest common denominator this, that and the other....but whilst I see that, I also see plenty of filmmakers breaking from the norm, breaking from convention - I think cinema is in the rudest health it has been in since the mid-seventies, maybe earlier....and I think that credit for this chiefly goes to people like Clooney.

As for Three Burials....what a great movie it was. One of those where I looked at it on the shelf, picked it up and thought.."Hmm...modern day western of sorts, Pepper, Lee Jones...got to be worth looking at.." and that was it. Perfect! It didn't blow me away...its not that kind of film....rather it grabs you by the wrist and walks you off....and keeps you walking and walking and walking, never once getting boring.

Its a road movie on foot and it'll as much spit in your eye as apologise for the fact. If I had to use one word to sum the film up...to provide the tie that binds its disparate elements together.... I would choose "Dignity". It is a film about dignity lost, dignity found and dignity reclaimed. That is something that applies not just to the deceased Melquiades Estrada of the full title.....who is accidentally shot whilst tending to his goats - whose dignity is not so much taken by that sorrowful event as it is by his life before that moment and how his corpse is treated thereafter. It applies not just to Lee Jones' gruff cowboy who finds himself increasingly at odds with his own surrounds.....and not even to Pepper's fragile Border Patrol Officer who is descending his own personal Inferno. But also the support cast too...Dwight Yoakam is as good as anyone else on-screen for the time given him...whether it be coping with his dwindling relationship with the coffe shop hostess or with the badge he wears. January Jones' too and the relationship she forms with the same waitress (Melissa Leo). Heck - even the Mexicans trying to cross the border with only a line of dialogue...or the blind old man, rotting out alone in the desert...all of them have their own slant on dignity and what it means to them.

Its not a film that bludgeons you about the head with its message...you are free to take as much or as little as you want from the film. My Goit of a brother would probably only like it for the scenes where Pepper stages an escape from Lee Jones....there's certainly a dark humour at play during that part.

My only criticism would be to begin with, the film skips about in time...flicking forwards then back in much the same way 21 grams did. but with this movie, I don't know why it felt it had to do that....seemed a bit gimmicky to me...especially when it later settles down to a more orthodox liner progession...but I'm nitpicking really.

Certainly one of the better films from last year and worth renting out.

8/10.
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:28 am

i watched a pretty insane double feature of Hard Candy and Miike's Masters of Horror episode last night.

first was Hard Candy, aka the Mark Foley Story. ok, it's not really the Mark Foley story. for one thing, the guy in this film likes girls, not boys. but it is a pretty interesting coincidence that the lead actress' last name is Page.

overall, i thought it was really well done and definitely very well-acted. i wish i hadn't known quite as much going into it as i did, especially the opening scenes before they get back to his house would've been more suspenseful and disturbing. but even knowing pretty much where the story was going, it was still pretty oogie watching the little girl making the moves on this guy and him going along with it. i thought she was a bit too flirtatious in the opening, but later she gives a good speech about how he's the adult and he should be the one who is responsible enough to put a stop to it. also, a minor quibble, but in my online travels, if i ever ran across someone with a name like 'thonggrrrl' then i know i'm dealing with either a) a Dumbledore dude posing as a girl or b) a spambot for a porn site. if that dude had been smarter, he would have realized no 14 year old girl would ever pick that as their real screenname.

so even with those minor issues, the film was absorbing and definitely gets intense at times. i also have a feeling this would work well as a stage play, given the small number of sets and actors, and the dependence on dialogue and acting to sell the thing.

the second dvd i watched was imprint, the takashi miike episode of masters of horror. i was dying to see this ever since showtime refused to air it last year. given how far they went in some of the episodes that did air (like the stuart gordon and dario argento ones), i was curious to see just how extreme this was for them to drop it.

basically, it can be summed up in two words:

FUCKED

and

UP

this thing was insane. it wasn't quite as insane as some of miike's films, particularly the plot was fairly cohesive, though it did have a rashomon-type quality where you see a story told in a few different ways, the difference being that the first times its told, its a lie, and only the last version is true.

but some of the shit that goes on is pretty crazy. the torture scene is definitely a stand out. it takes a lot to make me cringe, i've seen too many horror and gore films. but this torture scene definitely made me cringe. it actually took some effort not to look away in a couple instances. not necessarily for the gore, so much as for what exactly is being done to the tortured person. i don't want to give too much away, but i'll just say that some of the things that are endured are more disturbing than the plain old dismemberment and such you see in something like hostel. in fact, the one thing i might compare it to is the part from the original jackass movie where they are giving themselves paper cuts between their fingers. it's not gross on its own, but in your mind you can relate to how much that must hurt and it makes you wince. this torture scene was like that amped up by about a hundred.

there are some other disturbing scenes that i don't want to give away in case anyone doesn't know much about this, but they take place later in the film once the narrator starts telling the 'truthful' version of her history.

and then, suddenly, there's a special effect / makeup effect that is so ludicrous and goofy looking, it literally made me guffaw. that's right, i guffawed. it's that goofy. i don't want to give this part away either, but trust me if you watch it, you'll know it when you see it. i think they really meant for this 'effect' to be disturbing, but it's just so funny looking that it doesn't work, and it really hurts the film. up to that point, the mood was consistently bleak, and it just breaks the vibe completely when this silly thing suddenly shows up. if you watch the behind the scenes and you see the part where they're creating this 'effect'... it looks even goofier there and i really don't know what they were thinking using it. since it's the big reveal of the film, they really should have spent more time getting it right.

billy drago as the american is also over-the-top to the point of silliness in places, but that is a bit easier to overlook. it's just that one effect that undoes so much of what was good about the film. it's still definitely worth seeing though, if you like good extreme disturbing horror.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby silentbobafett on Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:44 am

NEED INFORMATION TODAY!!!:::

Does anyone know if the Takeshi Miikes film is uncut over here in the UK?

Thanks

SBF

:-)

Reason for panic is I think I'd like to buy it this lunch time when I go get me some new comics... ohhhh yeahhhhh :-)

HOLY SHIT OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY FUCKING GOD:

IS THIS EVEN OUT IN THE UK?

aaahhhh shit gentlemen! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby silentbobafett on Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:45 am

I would like to apologise for my expletives up above.... but damn fuck these people.

If they haven't released over here yet... and I want to see it... how can I see it? hmmmm

ohhhh I want it now! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby silentbobafett on Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:46 am

Okay, I don't mean to scare people.... but I really don't remember writing: "But damn fuck these people"

Am I loosing my mind?

Maybe I've just simply watched too much Miike.... but I doubt it... :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby Peven on Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:29 pm

ok, behind the curve on this one, i know, but i just got finished watching "Brick", i mean JUST, the credits are still rolling. very cool little flick. did a great job in immersing the audience in the surreality of it all, and the few moments where it reminds you that these are just kids involved in this shit adds a black humor that had me chuckling, like when they are sitting there at the Pin's house with the Pin's mother getting snacks and milk for them. definately a movie that i need to see at least one more time to take it all in and pick up anything i might have missed, and it is deserving of a second viewing just for the pleasure of it as well.

8/10

have "Tsotsi" and "Art School Confidential" to watch this weekend as well and will post my thoughts afterwards, not that anyone would care, but i really enjoy typing. :P

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:36 pm

Peven wrote:"Tsotsi"...not that anyone would care, but i really enjoy typing. :P

I'm actually curious as to your response to that, 'cuz I thought it was shite.

the lead actor is a wooden cipher, the story afterschool special at best. Director has some promise, but that's the most I could say for it.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:59 pm

i'll give my honest impression after seeing it. i decided to check it out due to both its Academy Award and Mori's glowing review of it. a little late to watch it tonight, and i am still digesting "Brick", watching deleted scenes and talking about it with my daughter, she liked it a lot too.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby justcheckin on Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:05 pm

I just watched:

Click - Pretty funny, i would recommend it. Someone said something in chat the other day about the jokes being like the kitchen sink (Sandler's typical non-movie related laughs thrown all over) and they were right. Very funny though and it works for a good time.

The Lake House - Very much a chick flick but kind of interesting. It keeps you on your toes trying to keep the timelines straight and actually keeps your interest throughout the movie. Not all the plot twists are evident but a smart viewer will figure most out. I really liked it. Its on my buy list now.
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby Lady Sheridan on Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:21 am

WAY behind the curve on this one, but I finally got to see "Adaptation." Good things happen when you finally know the Netflix password...I really enjoyed it. It was smart and funny, one of those films you can spend a little time unwrapping. The performances were all terrific, one of those movies you can tell everyone had a good time on and was inspired by. Chris Cooper just ranks higher and higher on my list with every movie he does--and oddly, I didn't even think this was one of his best performances, but he never fails to impress me. I got such a good giggle out of the screenwriting stuff. I've heard so many pompous lectures on How to Write that it hit home. "My genre is thriller...what's yours?"

Tonight I continued my Halloween kick and watched "Interview with the Vampire" which is one I watch every fall. I think it's an underrated film--probably the last classic vampire movie Hollywood made before it all went to swords, guns and Goth nonsense. (On the other hand, Anne Rice is responsible for all the angsty vampires running around. I think The Lost Boys were the last vampires who truly enjoyed being vampires!) It's a bit over the top in parts, but it has that claustrophobic atmosphere that the book had and that true Gothic horror has. It's difficult to pull off and they did it. I think it's a nice adaptation of the book, it got the essentials of the story and stayed true to it. The costumes and sets are fantastic. I still think Tom Cruise was a great Lestat (Johnny Depp could have topped it though) and its one of Brad Pitt's best moments--certainly one of his most beautiful. ;) I was what--13 or 14 when this came out and I joke in online surveys that Corey Feldman was my first celebrity crush, but I think it was really Brad Pitt. Between this and Legends of the Fall, I was a goner.

It made me wish I was going as a vampire this year--damn it!
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Pacino86845 on Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:56 am

Lady Sheridan wrote: Chris Cooper just ranks higher and higher on my list with every movie he does--and oddly, I didn't even think this was one of his best performances, but he never fails to impress me.

Have you seen Lone Star? It's been a few years since I'd seen it but I remember that it was most excellent.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Al Shut on Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:02 am

I'd say your memory is most correct.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:10 am

I checked out Broken Flowers a second time, and this time I enjoyed it. I guess the anticipation of a new Murray had ebbed and I could view it without thinking it's one of his new "serious comedy" films and take it "as is".

*SPOILERS FOLLOW*

I still find it slightly frustrating. Not in a "it's meant to be challenging" sort of way, but in a kind of "I know I'm good" way. The ending still needs a proper coda beyond knowing for a fact that's his real life son in the car. The metaphor of standing at a crossroads is lame. But it still has some lovely moments, such as Lolita (very damn funny) and his friend Winston, and some of it really hits the right notes.

I kind of half wish Jarmusch would just give in to his more coherent side and make a movie that doesn't "just be", though, as thats where it falls down.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:11 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:I checked out Broken Flowers a second time, and this time I enjoyed it.

VICTORY IS MINE!!

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lady Sheridan on Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:49 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:
Lady Sheridan wrote: Chris Cooper just ranks higher and higher on my list with every movie he does--and oddly, I didn't even think this was one of his best performances, but he never fails to impress me.

Have you seen Lone Star? It's been a few years since I'd seen it but I remember that it was most excellent.

I have not! I'm going to go and put it on Netflix.

I wonder if my mom has seen it. She's loved Chris Cooper since Lonesome Dove and is pleased I have finally joined the club. Even she liked Adaptation which surprised me, but you just never know.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Doc Holliday on Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:06 pm

Peven wrote:just watched "Nightwatch" today. one thing right off, is that the dvd i watched did not have the option of viewing the movie in russian with English subtitles, the only language choices were English, French or Spanish. i actually prefer to watch a film in its native language and read the subtitles, so that was a disappointment to start with.

overall it was worth the rent, it had some pretty cool visuals and a truly surreal feel to it that was pretty effectively immersive. still, i felt the storytelling/narrative aspect of it was wanting. too many gaps where i was left wanting more information. i am sure that the novel probably fills in those spaces, explanations of actions or motivations more.

also, the score was poor. it would switch tones inexplicably and be ill-fit to the events at hand at times so much that it took me out of the scene.

6 out of 10, for style more than substance. i won't be buying it, though i'll be interested to check out, rental, "Daywatch" when it comes out on dvd, especially since i have read that it is an improvement from "Nightwatch".

Ever since reading this review I have had it in mind to see this movie myself - and finally caught up with it a few days ago.

On balance I liked it - but it certainly has its flaws and they are neither few nor insignificant.

It does have that quirky "European Cinema" feel to it...punchy editing, tight cuts between scenes.

The beginning tries to be epic in its production - this works in some shots whereas in others it pretty much looks like the local Am-Dram society playing in a field. In actual fact it's the more low-key sequences where the film tends to shine brightest (such as when the respective heads of the forces of light and dark whisper into the same man's ear, their rule of law to one another).

The story concerns itself with the eternal struggle between the forces of light and of dark....during the day the forces of light police their opposites, enforcing rules (i.e. issuing warrants for vampyrs kills) - they are the Day Watch.

And at night the forces of dark similarly police their opposite number, making sure a balance is matained between the two.

The story reevolves around this accord....and a "see-r" who works for the Light. A prophecy tells of a child who will come along and who will choose between the two sides bringing an end to the balance forever - and that each side will battle for this childs soul. It is the see-r who is charged with finding this child and protecting him from the forces of darkness.

Somewhere in the middle of all of this comes a young woman who is curs-ed. All she touches dies, all she speak to withers. She attracts a vortex and heralds the end of days - or so it seems. Quite how this fits in with the search for the child appears unclear in the movie and this is one of its flaws....when her story is resolved it isn't particularly satisfying....and then when the actions starts up again you're left wondering what the hell she had to do with anything in the first place.

Other parts of the film are poorly explained....for example, there is a scene with a couple of shapeshifters and the child towards the end of the movie that suggests the childs power may be some form of mind-control....but then again, maybe not (seems kind of a weak power for an individual that is supposed to be so important to the fate of the universe).

There are characters you'd like to see more of - there's a female lieutenant of the Dark Forces that serves a warrant near the end of the movie - she looked like a cool character...as did the two shape-shifters on the side of Light. Together with The Owl, all criminally underused.

Also...the films own logic does fall down a bit at the end, I thought. To begin with, when the twist takes place you start off thinking "Cool....nice that they went that way...."

Then you start thinking it through and it just doesn't work - because he was perfectly within his rights to kill the vampire....the vampire was trying to feed unlawfully off a child and give it to his mate. The forces of dark had absolutely no grounds to serve a warrant on him for the killing. /Spoiler

That said...the film does endure...there were never any parts so bad that I felt like turning it off. A lot of my final verdict also rests on what comes out of the second movie - I understand this is to ultimately be a trilogy, so there is much DAYWATCH could do to improve things in time for a cool finale.

6/10

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:05 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:
AtomicHyperbole wrote:I checked out Broken Flowers a second time, and this time I enjoyed it.

VICTORY IS MINE!!

Enjoyed, not loved!

;)

But yeah, you definitely have to be in the mood and under no allusions as to what you're getting.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby silentbobafett on Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:32 am

Watched Donnie Darko and Switchblade romance. So no new films and a pretty lacklustre film watching weekend.

I feel disgusted... but then I did have a good weekend... so boy oh boy! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:45 am

I rewatched "National Treasure" - first time around I got caught up in this film's positive press and would have scored it around a 7/10. Having now watched it a second time I have to say it was a pretty flat experience. There were a handful of Cage moments that still made me smile - but generally speaking it was pretty ridiculous....from Bean's strange-looking hair right through to the various set-pieces.

I am normally very good at just going with this kind of film...but for some reason it didn't happen on National Treasure. There's one scene that involves a building's shadow showing the location of a clue, for example, and all I could think is how that shadow would have pointed somewhere different each day of the year, at that same time in the day. And then how the shadow had moved a stupidly far distance in just a couple of minutes, when the bad guys turned up to look at it.

5/10.

I also watched "The Sentinel" starring Kiefer Sutherland and Michael Douglas. Pretty solid film about the Secret Service foiling a possible plot to assassinate the POTUS....so ok, nothing original by way of a plot...but cleanly executed nonetheless. Good to see Sutherland on the big screen as a good guy again..albeit as some kind of thinned out version of Bauer. Douglas is surprisingly watchable as the older Secret Service Agent who may or may not be being framed.

Taut in the right places, fast-paced - there's not a lot The Sentinel does wrong - definitely a DVD rental though, rather than worth paying to see at the big screen.

6.5/10

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby silentbobafett on Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:38 am

I should comment that Switchblade Romance worked for me better the second time. I could look out for things. I still would rather it had been a straight forward hack and slash though! :-)

And I finally worked Donnie Darko out.

I know its how each person judges it. BUt I got it! I swear man! I'm down with this shit and after watching it countless times and having turned down my own theroies I have come up with a simple yet definite answer! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

PreviousNext

Return to DVD / Blu-ray