Actor's Actor: Sean Penn v Daniel Day Lewis

Discuss all the finest actors, living or dead -- their films, their talents, and their weird, drug-related escapades.

Sean Penn v Daniel Day-Lewis: Who's The Better Actor

Sean Penn
16%
Daniel Day-Lewis
84%

Total votes : 19

Actor's Actor: Sean Penn v Daniel Day Lewis

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:01 pm

So.. Cate Blanchett easily trounced Gwyneth Paltow and Meryl Streep saw off Jodie Foster with relative ease in the previous two face-offs. But will this one prove to be much closer contest?
On this occasion, it's the turn of a couple of the men. Two contemporaries again, both hugely regarded and rated as actors, men who totally commit and immerse themselves completely in whatever character they're playing. One has more films under his belt, to be sure, but it's quality here that counts.
So, without further ado, step into the ring....

Sean Penn (Falcon & The Snowman, Mystic River, Dead Man Walking, Carlito's Way, State Of Grace, Casualties Of War)

and

Daniel Day-Lewis (My Left Foot, The Boxer, Gangs Of New York, The Crucible, The Unbearable Lightness Of Being, In The Name Of The Father, Ballad Of Jack & Rose)

Simple question : Who do you think is the better actor?
Difficult one, this. I need to a little time to think about it...
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:12 pm

They're both miserable stuck up bastards. Give me Robert de Niro anyday.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby The Vicar on Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:26 pm

For a question like that, I try to switch the actor's and their roles, to see if one could handle the others.

Then I have to factor in Penn's personal issues too.

Bottom line - I can't see Penn pulling off My Left Foot.

Winner - DDL.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:53 pm

Vicar, it's a good way of comparing the two, to envisage them playing each other's part. I definitely can't see Penn pulling of My Beautiful Launderette either. And though Penn has made more films, I have to say Day-Lewis seems the the more daring, the more braver. Plus, I think he's a more cerebral kind of actor, more understated than Penn and draws you into his characters more. Don't get me wrong, Penn is a fine actor, but Day-Lewis just has that something more special about him. Like De Niro, even like Brando.
Day-Lewis, then, for me.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby Lady Sheridan on Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:58 pm

Anyone who can play Newland Archer (although I don't particularly like his interpretation of the character) and Butcher Bill with such ease has my vote.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:05 pm

I'm not sure, but did Daniel Day Lewis actually learn to shave and do all that other wonderul crap with his lef foot??¿ If so, then everybody should vote for him just for that. I'm voting for Lewis nonetheless, just for Last of the Mohicans.

I dunno, I've always felt that Sean Penn just picks really good characters to act, but he always seems like Sean Penn. Spiccolli was a good turn, but that seems more like a caricature than acting.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby DennisMM on Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:28 pm

This is not really a fair comparison. What say Sean Penn and Humphrey Bogart?
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Peven on Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:41 pm

decent matchup, certainly closer than the first couple between actresses, but the choice is still a clear one for me, Daniel Day Lewis. imo, while Penn might be regarded as one of the best actors of his generation, DDL is likely to be considered an all-time great by the time his career is over, the kind of actor who can do well with any kind of role he is asked to play.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby RogueScribner on Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:41 pm

DDL all the way.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby DennisMM on Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:50 pm

They're both a bit showy for my liking. DDL, in particular, has become bigger than life in the last ten years.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:57 pm

I was thinking of throwing Gary Oldman into the equation and have a three way contest. But for some reason, Oldman's film career has dissipated somewhat terribly recently. He's a great talent, but his choice of roles over the past several years has left a lot to be desired IMO. A real shame, that, because he can be an exceptional actor.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:58 pm

Oldman v. DDL is a true matchup.
DennisMM

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:02 pm

DennisMM wrote:Oldman v. DDL is a true matchup.

I think they're more kindred spirits as actors, Dennis, but don't you think Oldman's career has kind of evaporated in terms of quality roles over the past few years? Certainly, at his best, he's just as compelling. But his career seems to have stalled to a halt.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby Brocktune on Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:03 pm

i vote for oldman
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:10 pm

Oldman is not very active, certainly, and his roles aren't the best these days. My gut feeling is that Oldman has problems that are keeping him out of the better pictures. Maybe drug issues again?

In comparing the two I'm looking at them just as actors in the films most of us have seen. I'll admit that doesn't include most of Oldman's work this decade. What either has done the last five years or so isn't really a concern of mine.
DennisMM

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:15 pm

I'd love to see Oldman come back big time in some good and interesting parts .He's one of the best actors ever to come out of the UK. Period. What a movie it would be if both him and Day-Lewis co-starred together.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby Brocktune on Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:23 pm

if we are talking dream oldman pair-ups, i would love to see oldman and depp co-star together.
those two are (imo) the two best actors working today, even if gary oldman isnt really working that much.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:54 pm

I think their there's a myth of Daniel Day Lewis. I think the fact he chooses his parts so very carefully and works rarely only go to reinforce this idea of Day Lewis as genius actor-god.

Penn is a fantastic actor, although of late his roles have been clearly oscar showboating. But this is Jeff Spicoli and Matthew Poncelet from Deam Man Walking!!! That's a rangey wonderfully naturally talented actor right there.

Even though I think that's true, I "feel" Day Lewis in certain roles more than Penn. I love his Hawkeye and character in My Beautiful Laundrette. My Left Foot is obviously a grand performance, but I'm always wary of judging an able bodied actor playing someone who is disabled. The whole Oscar favouritism puts me right off.

I probably like Penn's films more then Day Lewis' as well.

I think I'll go Penn but I'm not quite sure.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Doc Holliday on Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:54 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:They're both miserable stuck up bastards. Give me Robert de Niro anyday.

Then your vote goes to DDL - see Gangs of New York for further reference (if that ain't DDL playing a young De Niro playing Bill then I don't know what).

My own vote goes to DDL - though I wanted to buck the groundswell I really did. On top of all the performances already picked out in this thread. I also feel that when DDL goes mainstream he still brings a very real resonance to the role.

Picking up on Vic's system, which I think is inspired, I imagine of Sean Penn had done Last of the Mohicans we'd have ended up with a more traditional Summer blockbuster....just action and battles. To me DDL did give it a spirituality, which was absolutely key to the character he depicted and is what informed all the supporting cast to help make the feel of that movie stand to one side of your average actioner.

Of course, I could just be talking complete arse, but either way my vote is cast.
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby HeadlessCrane on Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:22 am

Doc Holliday wrote:if that ain't DDL playing a young De Niro playing Bill then I don't know what

yeah, no kidding
HeadlessCrane
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby magicmonkey on Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:38 am

Went with Penn, there's an integrity in his eyes, which I don't care if he's faking. Day Lewis? Don't get me started. Oh ok then, there's a hyphon in his name for one...
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby The Ginger Man on Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:25 pm

Gotta go with DDL on this one. Everytime I see Penn lately, it feels like I'm getting the same performance. It's a good performance...but face it, if you're looking to cast an intense, troubled yet senstive role with instant Oscar buzz...you hire Penn. But both are fine actors.

Oldman vs DDL? Shit..that's a toughy. I'll give it to Oldman for putting himself out there more often. And taking on more diverse roles. I'm still surprised he took a swing at Gordon in Batman Begins.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby The Vicar on Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:14 pm

The Ginger Man wrote:Oldman vs DDL? Shit..that's a toughy. I'll give it to Oldman for putting himself out there more often. And taking on more diverse roles. I'm still surprised he took a swing at Gordon in Batman Begins.

Among Oldman's addictions are the two about eating & sleeping indoors.
At least he didn't embarress himself doind it - he can be very effective when he underplays some.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Re: Actor's Actor: Sean Penn v Daniel Day Lewis

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:36 pm

TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Re: Actor's Actor: Sean Penn v Daniel Day Lewis

Postby Peven on Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:29 pm

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Return to Actor Discussion