Newman vs. Bogart

Discuss all the finest actors, living or dead -- their films, their talents, and their weird, drug-related escapades.

Who ruled the cool?

Paul 'King of the salad dressing' Newman
57%
OI! Pass it here you [Humphrey] Bogart!
26%
I'm too young for this, Doc you old-timer
17%

Total votes : 23

Newman vs. Bogart

Postby Doc Holliday on Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:36 am

OK - simple really - who was cooler. Hud or Sam Spade? Butch Cassidy or Philip Marlowe? 'Fast' Eddie Felson or Rick Blaine?

I'm giving it to Newman, though by just a whisker. Bogart was uber-cool - but usually within quite narrow character parameters - whereas Newman took on a whole wider range and made them all cool. And he can eat 50 hard-boiled eggs, whereas Bogart could only play one....
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chilli on Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:45 am

About the same really. I think Newman can act, but they both fall within the realm of never leaping too far from their established schtick, and thus falling short of the chameleonic acting range others have.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:47 am

Eggs, apples, oranges, who car... who knows?

I always thought that Newman is one of the epitomes of cool. I just jealously hate how he did it, made it look like he you're either born with it or you're not. He's one of those guys that you both wanna be like and hang out with at the same time. Not only that but he was an everyday looking chap, not too glamourous, but still effortlessly smooth and charismatic.

I'm not choosing one over the other, I don't go for that Actor Vs Actor bag. I'm just stating my fondness for Newman is all.

Bogart I'll get to later. But Newman probably became one of my favourites straight away from the first film I saw of his to all the ones I've seen since.

You godda problem wid dad? Take it up with my department in the morning Karntkicker!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby havocSchultz on Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:54 am

Blaine fucked Bergman...

So he's cooler...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby unikrunk on Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:56 am

Image vs. Image

Too close to call...
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:02 am

Brilliant!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:07 am

Newman.

Don't get me wrong, I love Bogie - though limited as an actor, he was great within those limitations. His movies are always hugely enjoyable for the most part and no one played a private eye better than him.

Newman, however, is a completely different kettle of fish IMO. I still think he's an underrated talent - maybe his looks got in the way. But even that shouldn't detract from the fact that he's been far more versatile and consistent than any of his contemporaries over the longest period of time. Brando was certainly the greater actor, but Newman's career has been the far more interesting of the two since the mid-70's. He's never been a full-on, 'showy' kind of actor, but if you've ever seen Hud or Hombre or Nobody's Fool or The Verdict or Cool Hand Luke and many others, you'll realise that he's one of the finest actors the screen's ever produced.
Plus, he still looks the part at 80 years or so. Respect to the man!
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby tangerine on Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:11 am

I don't like Bogart anymore cos my ex-bf wanted to be just like him. pretentious monkey-arse. (my ex-bf, not bogart. I'm sure he was alright)
tangerine
AIRWOLF

Postby Doc Holliday on Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:17 am

HollywoodBabylon wrote:Newman.

Don't get me wrong, I love Bogie - though limited as an actor, he was great within those limitations. His movies are always hugely enjoyable for the most part and no one played a private eye better than him.

Newman, however, is a completely different kettle of fish IMO. I still think he's an underrated talent - maybe his looks got in the way. But even that shouldn't detract from the fact that he's been far more versatile and consistent than any of his contemporaries over the longest period of time. Brando was certainly the greater actor, but Newman's career has been the far more interesting of the two since the mid-70's. He's never been a full-on, 'showy' kind of actor, but if you've ever seen Hud or Hombre or Nobody's Fool or The Verdict or Cool Hand Luke and many others, you'll realise that he's one of the finest actors the screen's ever produced.

Nicely put Babylon....

"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:38 am

Doc Holliday wrote:
HollywoodBabylon wrote:Newman.

Nicely put Babylon....

Cheers, doc. As Robert Duvall said in Apocalypse Now: "I just love the sound of hand-clapping in the mid-afternoon...." or something like that :wink:
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby Peven on Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:16 pm

Doc pretty much sums up my opinion as well. i dig me some Bogey, "African Queen" is one of my favorite classic movies, but Newman is more versatile and did great work over the span of 6 decades.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Lady Sheridan on Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:05 pm

I vote Newman as well. He seems to be able to do it all--comedy, drama and even a bit of schlock here and there--and always comes out well. I adore Bogart and the African Queen, but I can't help but feel he was always playing Bogart. Perhaps in another era, without the enforced "personality" roles of the era, he would have been something else.

Incidentally, I saw a pair of his costume pants and I can't believe what a short, small guy he was. They looked like my pants.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby DennisMM on Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:29 pm

Bogart was cooler. Newman's the better actor. Bogart was limited by his times, though. He wasn't permitted to reach as Newman has.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Seppuku on Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:58 pm

Bogart gave some of the worst line deliveries in the history of the silver screen. Seriously, watch the African Queen again and you'll realise he really WAS hitting that rum. Then again, his peaks were peakier than Newman's if you ask me. The Maltese Falcon, To Have and Have Not, Casablanca, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, and Angels With Dirty Faces pwn Sundance, The Hustler, The Sting and Cool Hand Luke....for me anyway. And for those who say Bogey couldn't act, check out that version of Mutiny on the Bounty he did (can't remember what it was called, Dennis would know though. EDIT: Who needs Dennis when you have IMDB, it was The Caine Mutiny Uuugh damn alchiehole making me look like a douche by making 15 edits.

So, considering havoc and mine's votes count as 13.5, Bogey wins hands down. When are we gonna have a real face-off anyway? You know, something like Pee Wee Herman VS Micky J, or Robert Blake VS OJ Simpson. Something with style.
Last edited by Seppuku on Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby WinslowLeach on Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:08 pm

I think Bogie was great. My fave Bogie role is Fred C Dobbs in Treasure of the Sierra Madre (one of my all time fave films).

BUT

Still, my favorite actor out of the two is Paul Newman. Cool Hand Luke, Fast Eddie Felsen in The Hustler, Butch Cassidy, Henry Gondorf in The Sting.... The Newman's Own food products rule too. Paul is a living legend.

"I can eat 50 eggs."
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:26 pm

Newman is the better actor. The Verdict is a terrific performance, better than anything Bogart ever did.

But Bogart is iconic. You get to be iconic if you're in a lot of classic films, and it's hard to beat Bogart for classic films. Casablanca. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. The Maltese Falcon. The African Queen. Key Largo.

I mean, wow.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:30 pm

Paul Newman is a hot piece of ass. Those baby blues are teh sexy.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby tapehead on Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:39 pm

... and he's 72. But in Cool Hand Luke, I could almost go Dumbledore for him.

Bogart wins (if the question is indeed 'which is the coolest?) - he has the good taste to be dead as well as starring in the Maltese Falcon, Treasure of Sierre Madre, The Caine Mutiny (click, click, clickety click) and Angels with Dirty Faces.
Last edited by tapehead on Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:41 pm

DennisMM wrote:Bogart was cooler. Newman's the better actor. Bogart was limited by his times, though. He wasn't permitted to reach as Newman has.

Seconded
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Iconoclastica on Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:44 pm

Bogart's got that patronizing magnetism down to the tee, but it's nothing more than a badass persona. Newman truly managed to embody everything that it means to be hard core. Every time I think of him, I think of those hard boiled eggs . . . and I think, damn, that's what it is to be a real man.

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby DennisMM on Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:46 pm

Bogart was so cool that his wife literally stabbed him in the back and he had another drink as he went to be patched up. Or so I heard. I know she stabbed him in the back.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby Iconoclastica on Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:47 pm

DennisMM wrote:Bogart was so cool that his wife literally stabbed him in the back and he had another drink as he went to be patched up. Or so I heard. I know she stabbed him in the back.

and then I stabbed the slut in the eye with an ice pick . . .

I mean . . .

Newman is teh man :wink:
Last edited by Iconoclastica on Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby Vegeta on Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:47 pm

Had to go with Paul Newman...

One of my (many) favorite movie lines is from Hombre!

"I got one question for you...
How you gonna get back down that hill?"

*BLAM!*
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:50 pm

Too close for me to call it but I think people are too likely to think of Sam Spade or Marlowe when they think of Bogie thus the sentiment in this thread that he was "limited"....As a counter point the already mentioned Treasure of the Sierra Madre and The Caine Mutiny show his range outside of a tough gumshoe wherein he portrays two of the best mentally unbalanced and dangerous characters to grace the silver screen.
Last edited by Chairman Kaga on Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:51 pm

Iconoclastica wrote:
DennisMM wrote:Bogart was so cool that his wife literally stabbed him in the back and he had another drink as he went to be patched up. Or so I heard. I know she stabbed him in the back.

I mean . . .

Say what?
DennisMM

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:52 pm

Iconny is freaking me out!
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Iconoclastica on Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:54 pm

DennisMM wrote:
Iconoclastica wrote:

I mean . . .

Say what?

Lol I swear I'm not crazy - just kidding around with a little jealous female nonsense . . . my heart's with Newman, but the little shred of hopeless romantic in me can't help but be instinctively drawn towards old school Bogart :roll:

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby Seppuku on Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:00 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:Iconny is freaking me out!

Just wait 'til she gets her medical license and gets let loose on THESE:

Add some laughing gas into the equation, and it'll be like that night I spent with Ann Heche and Ellen DeGeneres all over again!

:shock:
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:05 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:Iconny is freaking me out!

Just wait 'til she gets her medical license and gets let loose on THESE:

Add some laughing gas into the equation, and it'll be like that night I spent with Ann Heche and Ellen DeGeneres all over again!

:shock:

I have that sorta stuff....and no I do not mean Anne Heche or Ellen DeGeneres.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Iconoclastica on Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:07 pm

lol they even let me suture a guy's head wound up last week . . . what are those people thinking giving me sharp objects :oops:

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby tapehead on Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:11 pm

you want medical nightmares? go to David Cronenberg.

tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Seppuku on Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:19 pm

tapehead wrote:you want medical nightmares? go to David Cronenberg.

So I'm guessing young Croney was the kind of kid who liked to pick his scabs.
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby tapehead on Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:23 pm

BWAHAHAHAHAHAA!

Dead Ringers
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Re: 'Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid'

Postby TheButcher on Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:46 pm

'Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid' at 45: Read THR's 1969 Review
"It is a great film and will be an exceptionally popular and profitable one"
TheButcher