I AM LEGEND

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Am you Legend?

I Like Legend
60%
I Hate Legend
8%
I Meh Legend
21%
I Kong Legend
10%

Total votes : 48

Postby Seppuku on Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:07 pm

You know, I just rewatched The Last Man on Earth a few days ago, and it's actually pretty faithful. I know it's got that lo-budget, Corman vibe, but Price's crazy monologues and the whole first hour are brilliant.

The ending, which is just a by-rote chase around the park, is pretty weak, but I'm thinking if you REALLY want a faithful adaptation, then this is as close as you're gonna get. I mean, the novel came outta the cold war when everyone figured they were at risk of being assimilated by the Bolshevik Borg, and this movie came out of the Cuban Missile Crisis, so it had that eerie paranoia thing down.

Omega Man I don't much like, however.
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:20 pm

Fievel wrote:All hope has been officially squashed.

From the main site:

Will Smith wrote:It's going great. We're taking a scheduled break right now, but we've been shooting in New York for a while. We've managed to make a small, character drama into a big special effect movies. It's that old school '70s kind of story-driven movie.

The special effects are ridiculous, but we don't depend on them at all to tell our story. They are insane, but there's no dependence on them at all. You don't know it yet, but you should be looking forward to it.

look at the bright side... at least we'll get a nifty video with will smith rapping and dancing with a bunch of cgi plague-vampires!
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:24 pm

TheBaxter wrote:

From the main site:

Will Smith wrote:It's going great. We're taking a scheduled break right now, but we've been shooting in New York for a while. We've managed to make a small, character drama into a big special effect movies. It's that old school '70s kind of story-driven movie.

The special effects are ridiculous, but we don't depend on them at all to tell our story. They are insane, but there's no dependence on them at all. You don't know it yet, but you should be looking forward to it.

look at the bright side... at least we'll get a nifty video with will smith rapping and dancing with a bunch of cgi plague-vampires!

but they'll be stacked and racked, if you know what i mean.
:wink: :lol:

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fievel on Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:30 pm

Well, if you read the whole interview, he mentioned Thriller by name.... maybe he'll re-work that to be his new "Wild Wild West".... complete with the Thriller Dance.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:51 pm

Peven wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:
Fie vel wrote:All hope has been officially squashed.

From the main site:

like the flying vampire chicks in van helsing?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:53 pm

Fievel wrote:Well, if you read the whole interview, he mentioned Thriller by name.... maybe he'll re-work that to be his new "Wild Wild West".... complete with the Thriller Dance.

oh i can totally see that. i'm sure he'll do a new and "improved" version of vincent price's "rap" in the middle too.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby The Vicar on Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:55 pm

From the main site:

Blow me, Hollywood.
Get on your hands & knees and service my love pump, you ass blasting shit weasels.

Proud about gutting what made the novel so fine, in favor of CGI & volume?
You can blow me too, Smith, for not knowing shit about I Am Legend.

And Wild Wild West sucked gnarly balls HARD!!!!
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:17 pm

Obviously Smith is only vaguely familiar with the shit Omega Man.
Here's hoping they punch up the title as well...ie the change it and I can easily disassociate the whole thing from the story.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby silentbobafett on Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:24 pm

We've managed to make a small, character drama into a big special effect movies.

THis is what we have been saying on here for sometime. I thought we might be moany little bitches. But, alas, we have been proven right. The above qoute says everything I ever need kow about this movie. I love the way Mr Smith feels that personel stories mean shit all with out some big ass fucking explosions

"I'm Legend, BITCH" !BLAM!

Uh oh......

See you in the ticket line... :-) ;-) :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby so sorry on Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:00 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:Here's hoping they punch up the title as well...ie the change it and I can easily disassociate the whole thing from the story.

Agreed, but all our hoping didn't work with iRobot either...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:11 pm

will smith is TOO LEGEND. TOO LEGEND TO QUIT.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:29 pm

Will Smif in:

I BE LEGEND
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Peven on Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:39 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
Peven wrote:
The Baxter wrote:
Fie vel wrote:All hope has been officially squashed.

From the main site:

like the flying vampire chicks in van helsing?

we speak the same language, Bax. :wink:

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby so sorry on Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:44 pm

Will Smif in:

"I Am Legend? Awwwwwww Hell NO!!!!!!!"
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:50 pm

will smith in

the pursuit of legendyness
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:00 pm

Will Smif's new hit from the soundtrack to I Am Legend:

Zombies Just Don't Understand

You know zombies are the same
No matter time nor place
They don't understand that us kids
Are going to make some mistakes
So to you, all the kids all across the land
There's no need to argue
Zombies just don't understand
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:17 pm

can't wait for the tv spinoff series

the fresh legend of bel-air
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Shane on Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:38 pm

I see the previews of the new movie he is in and it looks good. I hope it is a step in a new direction for his films for the sake of this. I love last man on earth. I fear it will be more suck. I believe special effects can be done well while maintaining what was laid out before and even iproving it. Do I thin that is what will happen? NO. I'm almost certain it will suck. I hope it proves me wrong.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby The Vicar on Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:12 pm

Will Smif in
Six Degrees of the Legend of Bagger Vance.

The first epic golf-vampire movie ever!!!

And hopefully the last.
Word up.
The Vicar

Postby silentbobafett on Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:10 am

Okay,s o you've all seen it, but I see these threads as the be all and end all of all things gossip, rumour and last but by no means least: fact when it coems to the films!

So here is more pics from I am legend!

Its been filmin g awhile now ain't it?

:-)

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/31103

Ummmm, nothing of real note!

I like the fire truck in the road and the cars and shit on fire!

Burnt bodies are two a penny and whie men... are they the vamps? hoepfully not!

Nothing to make me think either way.... unlike this timeless comment:

We've managed to make a small, character drama into a big special effect movies.

:-)

wow! :-)

still gets me! If it didn't hurt so much I'd laugh! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby silentbobafett on Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:23 am

The one scene I've read about that sounded like it had some spectable, if not a total rip off of the harbour scene in War of the Worlds has now been cut! More naff naff news from I Am Fucking Up LEgend:

There's talk all the time of expensive film sequences which didn't make it to the screen. For now the most notable remains the many millions spent on several space-set sequences in "Superman Returns" which didn't make the final cut.

Now, Yahoo News reports that Warner Bros. $150+ million sci-fi actioner "I Am Legend" spent at least $5 million for six days of night shoots in January to film a key scene for the Will Smith project.

In the scene survivors gather at a pier by the Brooklyn Bridge, desperate to be evacuated. The scene required co-operation with no fewer than 14 government agencies, a 250+ crew, 1,000+ extras, and 160 members of the National Guard in full combat gear.

A fascinating full breakdown of the sheer scale and costs involved can be found in this intriguing read.
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby The Vicar on Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:27 am

The news on this just never improves, does it?
The Vicar

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:05 am

SBF, can a you provide a the link to a the story that says a the scene, she's a gonna to be cut, eh? I canna find a the reference to a this...

The Dino, he knows alla to well the pains of a the budget bloating anna the heartbreak of a the editing room floor, no? But call a the old man crazy, I actually think that a this scene onna the Brooklyn Bridge, she can a work inna the context of a the flash-a-back as a regards to a the original story, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby godzillasushi on Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:13 am

silentbobafett wrote:Now, Yahoo News reports that Warner Bros. $150+ million sci-fi actioner "I Am Legend" spent at least $5 million for six days of night shoots in January to film a key scene for the Will Smith project.

Why did they cut a key scene?

Ah, the Dino, he's a quick no?
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:16 am

silentbobafett wrote:The one scene I've read about that sounded like it had some spectable, if not a total rip off of the harbour scene in War of the Worlds has now been cut! More naff naff news from I Am Fucking Up LEgend:

I'm a gonna to be honest, eh? I canna barely understand what a that says...
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby so sorry on Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:36 am

C'mon Dino, you don't know what "naff naff news" is?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby The Vicar on Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:50 am

so sorry wrote:C'mon Dino, you don't know what "naff naff news" is?

Is it like a "knock-knock" joke, but in Swedish?
The Vicar

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:34 pm

The Vicar wrote:Is it like a "knock-knock" joke, but in Swedish?

Naff naff.
Høøs dër?
Björk.
Björk høø?

Goddamn... I gotta nothing, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:54 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
The Vicar wrote:Is it like a "knock-knock" joke, but in Swedish?

Naff naff.
Høøs dër?
Björk.
Björk høø?

Goddamn... I gotta nothing, eh?

Holy christ, that is golden.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby silentbobafett on Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:56 am

Look you guys gotta be down with the lingo! Its like cheeky mumma, you get it? Anyway, sorry about the down link stink, I'll get on that now for you Dino!

Forgive me... :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby silentbobafett on Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:20 am

Right back on track, more updates on teh naff naff news and the information sir dino wanted!

The link: http://tinyurl.com/37egme[/url]
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby silentbobafett on Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:24 am

For those with restrictive work computers:

NEW YORK (Hollywood Reporter) - New York. Nighttime. Post-apocalypse. As a life-warping illness devastates the American populace, survivors gather at a pier by the Brooklyn Bridge, desperate to be evacuated.

ADVERTISEMENT

It is a central moment in Warner Bros.' December release "I Am Legend," a $150 million-plus sci-fi actioner starring Will Smith. But as impressive a nail-biter as this particular scene will surely be, its drama is rivaled by that of the process of mounting and shooting it on six successive nights in January.

"The physical scale of the Brooklyn Bridge scene was the most daunting," says location manager Paul Kramer, who began preparations in July. "There were so many moving parts."

In addition to complying with the requirements of no fewer than 14 government agencies, producers had to bring in a crew of 250, plus 1,000 extras, including 160 members of the National Guard in full combat gear. They commandeered a flotilla of Coast Guard boats, grappled with hypothermia-inducing temperatures, coped with dozens of production-related injuries -- and nursed a frozen helicopter.

All this cost the studio at least $5 million, according to executive producer Michael Tadross -- six times that, if Internet reports are to be believed.

While four Department of Defense Humvees and three Stryker armored vehicles waited on shore, a 110-foot cutter and a 41-foot utility boat, two 25-foot Response Boat Small craft and nearly 30 crewmen circled frigid waters for six nights.

To handle the "evacuations," a Coast Guard HH-65 Dolphin helicopter flew in with a crew of five, as did an Army-issue Black Hawk helicopter with four crew members. The dock on which these copters land in the film is actually a spud barge dressed up to look like a pier and floated in from Staten Island.

Then, to light the bridge as never before, crews worked weeks in advance, securing permission from the city's transportation department to dangle lights from catwalks and set up other lights on shores all over the waterfront. Scores of klieg lights were positioned to capture the 124-year-old landmark's every angle and curve -- from the Brooklyn side of the East River all the way to the South Street Seaport and into Manhattan. Even jaded New Yorkers, accustomed to seeing the bridge every night, commented on the vista.

The bridge scene is likely the most expensive shot in the city to date (in the completed film, it will serve as a flashback) in what the Mayor's Office of Film, Theatre and Broadcasting is calling the biggest movie to be filmed "start to finish" in New York. "Things are done in this film that have never been done before," Tadross says. "The hardest part of shooting this scene was its enormity and the logistics."

Creating such a tableau would be difficult in any large city, but accomplishing it in post-September 11 New York seems nothing short of Sisyphean. The number of permits and permissions involved was staggering. "Just finding out who you needed the permits from and who needs to sign off was a job," Kramer says. "I needed to get permission from the (Economic Development Corp.), (the Department of Environmental Conservation), the Army Corps of Engineers, the Coast Guard, the New York City (Department of Transportation), the New York State DOT, the Department of Small Business Services, the FDNY, the NYPD Harbor Unit, the NYPD Aviation Unit, the ( Federal Aviation Administration), the U.S. Army, the National Guard and the Mayor's Office of Film, Theatre and Broadcasting."

If that seems Byzantine in its web of red tape, there is a reason. According to John Battista, deputy commissioner of the mayoral film office, the hoops are all about safety.

"The priority is the safety of the general public," he says. "We have to have communication with all agencies, from the federal to the state to the local. We were in constant contact with those involved. Ten years ago, if we needed to get something done, it took a quick phone call. We had no fears. But after 9/11, we have to be more cognizant of what's going on around us."

Permits weren't the only challenge. Because the barge was not a true helicopter-landing site, the FAA required test landings. The mayor's office wanted sound tests, and the fire department needed trucks on the shore -- just in case.

NYPD divers were on hand at all times, augmented by a team of eight officers. The Coast Guard organized safety briefs for a possible water rescue and also dispatched a member of its Vessel Traffic Service to ensure that filming did not impede maritime operations.

"It was surreal because we were acting out something so similar to a real evacuation," says Cmdr. Kevin Raimer of the Coast Guard's Motion Picture and Television Liaison Office. "It was fun to do a movie, but the reality would have been a lot less light-hearted. Also, some of the crew had worked in New York during 9/11, and it brought back memories."

September 11, 2001 also was on the minds of those at the mayor's office, which was concerned that waterfront commotion might confuse New Yorkers. "We wanted to make sure (residents) really knew this was a movie shoot and not a terrorist attack or cause for concern," commissioner Katherine Oliver says.

There were other logistical issues, including handling and directing legions of extras and production assistants. "How do you feed 2,000 people?" Tadross asks.

Quelling their appetites seemed minor compared to keeping them warm during one of the winter's coldest snaps. High temperatures were in the low 20 degrees, say those on the set, but lows could hit 10 degrees -- and the wind off the water didn't help. Producers erected a "tent city" nearby, but that offered little comfort during shooting.

"We renamed the film 'I Am Frozen,"' extra and comedian Anne Biondich says. Ambulances were called to the set several times.

"There were problems with hypothermia," Lt. Anthony Chapman of the NYPD Movie/TV Unit confirms. "It was brutal out there." (Producers say a diabetic collapsed after moving from warm to cold, but they were unaware of other hypothermia cases.) At one point, it was so cold that the landing gear on the Dolphin helicopter malfunctioned.

But just when conditions seemed at their worst, Will Smith stepped out of his two-story trailer and warmed people up by rapping his 1991 hit, "Summertime": "Summer, summer, summertime/time to sit back and unwind ...."

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

I Am Legend

Postby bastard_robo on Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:34 am

Why the fuck dose it have to be in NEW YORK... the book took place in the outer Los Angles area.

New York seems wrong for this story for some reason.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby silentbobafett on Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:42 am

This whole fucking film seems wrong to me! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:46 am

Will Smith's trailer is TWO FUCKING STORIES!?!?!?!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby silentbobafett on Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:48 am

Why, how many's your's Lecko?
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby Flumm on Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:52 am

Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby silentbobafett on Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:57 am

DAMN! I COULDN'T TURN TO MORE STAR NEWS!

Its a fuckign Block Long!

Shit man, that guy has got some big willy style! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:10 am

Flumm wrote:Image

That's fucking awesome.

That's even better than the cool Molson Canadian Party Bus that used to exist.

And that thing was only the actual size of a big bus - and apparentely that thing cost them about a million - so Will's trailers gotta be worth a fucking fortune.

Hey, you know what, if you can get it - might as well get it.
I'm assuming it's a studio supplied trailer - I don't really see Will having to pay for his own trailer. So if the studio's gonna give you an over 1000 square foot 3 storey trailer for your couple hours of downtime each day - why the fuck not take it and enjoy it...

If somebody gave me a trailer that was a block long - I know I would seriously consider accepting that offer...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby The Todd on Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:14 am

I remember the good old days when Will Smith would
whistle for a cab
and when it came near,
the license plate said FRESH
and it had dice on the mirror!
i reject your reality and substitute my own
The Todd
AIRWOLF

Postby silentbobafett on Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:18 am

Havoc... you preach the truth brother... :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:57 am

silentbobafett wrote:The one scene I've read about that sounded like it had some spectable, if not a total rip off of the harbour scene in War of the Worlds has now been cut! More naff naff news from I Am Fucking Up LEgend:

You goddamn putz... the Dino, he knows how a to read a the goddamn Yahoo news story, eh? I dinna need a you to reprint a the article, eh? I was a looking for a the reference that said (as a you did) that a the scene, she was a cut from a the film, eh? It donna say a the 'nothing about it inna the article...

silentbobafett wrote:Look you guys gotta be down with the lingo! Its like cheeky mumma, you get it? Anyway, sorry about the down link stink, I'll get on that now for you Dino!

Holy crappa, it's a like a your speaking some kind of a the crazy moon-man language, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby silentbobafett on Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:03 am

Dino, mah meano! I don't have a clue what you're on about again! I was trying to help you, you know jig with you jag but you throw it back in my face!

What did you want? That is the text from the link, no stink.

You digit or you need digits?
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby The Todd on Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:05 am

Never mind..... sbf is crazy.....
Last edited by The Todd on Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
i reject your reality and substitute my own
The Todd
AIRWOLF

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:05 am

Boba, you're inna'sane... you know that, donna you?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:07 am

Goddamn, it's a gonna to be a the 3-bran muffin morning, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:14 am

silentbobafett wrote:Dino, mah meano! I don't have a clue what you're on about again! I was trying to help you, you know jig with you jag but you throw it back in my face!

What did you want? That is the text from the link, no stink.

You digit or you need digits?

havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby silentbobafett on Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:40 am

Thanx Havoc :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:11 am

silentbobafett wrote:Thanx Havoc :-)

havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby silentbobafett on Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:33 am