Naomi Novik's TEMERAIRE Trilogy

This forum caters to our literary tastes.

Naomi Novik's TEMERAIRE Trilogy

Postby Nordling on Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:06 pm

I'm still on the first one, but it's so freakin' good that I went ahead and bought the next two. These were recently optioned by Peter Jackson's company for possible films down the road.

Basically, it's naval warfare set in the Napoleonic Wars, with dragons. No magic, no goofy wizards (at least not yet), just good old fashioned dragonwars and sailing frigates. And so far, it kicks ass. MASTER AND COMMANDER meets... dragons, I guess. Excellent book so far.

Anyone else pick these up?
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:18 pm

not yet, but anyone who digs on both Infinte Jest and the The Silmarillion has my kind of taste...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:54 pm

Check out that cover art!

I gotta get this airbrushed on the side of my van ASAP.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DDMAN26 on Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:24 pm

I picked up the series when Quint did his interview with Peter Jackson. I was actually looking for a decent fantasy series to read. I read the first really liked it. I'll get to the others shortly.
DDMAN26
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Quint on Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:45 pm

The first book is the best, but throughout the series Novik shows she knows how to write action. Damn they move... there's a creature battle in the second book that is so visual, I'm not surprised Jackson wanted to make these. Here's hoping he gets to and no one for a second thinks of the puke bowl that Eragon turned out to be.
Quint
AICN Crew

Postby Quint on Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:47 pm

PS I interviewed Novik about the series back when it was announced, but I haven't gotten a chance to transcribe it yet. It'll be up around the first of the year, though. She's a total geek... actually got her start writing Fan Fiction... whodathunkit?
Quint
AICN Crew

Postby Quint on Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:49 pm

and when I say "it got announced" I mean Jackson's acquisition of the rights, not the novels themselves. I'm lazy, but not 3 novels late lazy.
Quint
AICN Crew

Postby Nordling on Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:08 am

Cool, Quint, I look forward to it. I really like Novik's prose style. Very readable and yet very evocative of the period.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Evil Hobbit on Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:44 pm

I am realy trying not to read these books in order to wait and anticipate future movie release. Which might nog come to the screen in many years to come, but keeps the hype living when they get started. On the other hand, I love to read good and fresh fantasy novels. So maybe I'll start on it anyway. Sounds like fantastic stories.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby Nordling on Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:21 pm

I gotta say the first book kicked major ass. There's a battle in it that I would love to see on the big screen. Dragons, and cannons, and ships, and giant dragon-flying transports and people fighting on the tops of dragons in flight...

It's fuckincool. The second one starts with a bang, too.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Adam Balm on Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:56 pm

Quint's interview with Ms. Novik is up now.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Naomi Novik's TEMERAIRE Trilogy

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:19 am

I'm reading the first one now. It's very mannered, which may or may not be like the Master & Commander books that I never got around to reading. Sometimes it's hard for me to engage with the story. But you can tell that Novik knows her stuff when it comes to the period, and naval terminology. I like it enough that I'm considering buying the next two, but there are a few other sci-fi series that I might want to check out first.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Return to AICN Books