Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem (for our hopes of quality?)

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Who's your favourite character out of Predator & Alien?

Ripley (Alien)
22%
Dutch (Predator)
10%
Major George Dillon (Predator)
1%
Ash (Alien)
3%
Bishop (Aliens)
11%
Private Hudson (Aliens)
11%
Alien Queen
3%
Lieutenant Mike Harrigan (Predator 2)
5%
Predator
15%
King Kong
9%
There should be more options on this poll
10%

Total votes : 117

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:30 pm

shakermakerman wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:I didn't watch the video....So is it set in the future involving space marines and such more like the DarkHorse comics or what?

no mate takes place on earth after avp1 in a small american town.but it dos have marines in though .

Does it also have a huge battle in a Kmart...?

Cause that's what all of us fanboys really wanna see...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby shakermakerman on Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:36 pm

havocSchultz wrote:
shakermakerman wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:I didn't watch the video....So is it set in the future involving space marines and such more like the DarkHorse comics or what?

no mate takes place on earth after avp1 in a small american town.but it dos have marines in though .

Does it also have a huge battle in a Kmart...?

Cause that's what all of us fanboys really wanna see...

there is no K-mart fight on the imdb avp2 bords the brothers go on there and have said. they have also said that the prdator is back to how it should look with the pred vision going back to normal.
shakermakerman
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby shakermakerman on Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:41 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:Hmm, Cameron-era aliens! I likey. Weak, weak image though, looks pretty bollocks in my opinion... sooo... what about that youtube vid? What was that about? They changed it to something that makes more frigging sense?

yeah i like that head here is what colin had to say about the picture.

by colin_strause 2 hours ago (Mon Jan 15 2007 11:57:36 ) Ignore this User | Report Abuse

-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------
On set photo's are never taken from the correct lighting angle because they are working around our motion picture camera, so this will make the photos not look as good as the final movie. They are too front lit, too bright, and might be missing all of the slime on the creatures because the photos are usually taken in-between takes.
Last edited by shakermakerman on Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
shakermakerman
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby shakermakerman on Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:48 pm

this will probley what the image would turn out to be like.

shakermakerman
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:35 pm

Thanks for the info, fella. My long-term ex works in physical sfx and had all sorts of trouble with photo's, just as a publicity shot that's not the best regardless of the issues with latex and specular light.

I admire your enthusiasm, however. :)
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:38 pm

MAN IN SUIT!

The Alien looks like absolute shite.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby shakermakerman on Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:47 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:Thanks for the info, fella. My long-term ex works in physical sfx and had all sorts of trouble with photo's, just as a publicity shot that's not the best regardless of the issues with latex and specular light.

I admire your enthusiasm, however. :)

im bonkers about this i read the comics ages ago and i have an alien vs predator tattoo on my back , had that done way before the movie though so its not so uneak now.
shakermakerman
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby shakermakerman on Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:50 pm

John-Locke wrote:MAN IN SUIT!

The Alien looks like absolute shite.

They was all men in suits you ought to have seen the alien costume from aliens in real light they was just latex on spandex but with the proper lighting they can hide that.
shakermakerman
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Lurker Johnson on Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:04 pm

I hope this movie finally answers the question:

How do they go the bathroom with all that shit on?
Lurker Johnson
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby John-Locke on Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:06 pm

Yeah they may have been men in suits but you hardly ever saw them and they looked better than that, I honestly don't know why they release such pictures.

I've seen all the real Alien suits in person when I went to Alien War in London about 13 years ago (well they were from the same casts), I've been a fan since I was a little bambino (my Dad showed me Alien when I was about 5) and the design of that Alien is just proper shit, sorry, I have much love for the Alien world but anyway you look at it the design is crap.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:11 pm

If you saw the Cameron Alien suits (not the puppets) they are shit. They were designed to be quite light for the physical actors to move about and honestly, in stills, looked like rubber stuck on a catsuit. It's just a stupid publicity still. I still think this movie's going to stink, but at least I'll give them that... it's just a bad photo.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:13 pm

Alien War was pretty cool. Did a guy get ripped out of the elevator whilst you were in there JL?
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby John-Locke on Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:27 pm

Yeah a guy got ripped out of the elevator and there was an Alien hiding under one of the seats in the tank. Me and my buddy came face to face with a Alien (could have been a projection because there was all this crazy strobe laser stuff) when the Marine got us all lined up against a wall as he opened some doors, he opened them, started firing and told everyone to run away, me and my buddy pushed ourselves to the front and were legging it until suddenly there was a 7ft tall Alien in front of us, the people behind us hadn't all seen it so we were actually getting pushed towards it after we had seen it, I almost shit myself with fear.

A Marine jumped out at us from behind some barrels near the start too, and the Marine who was our guide pushed me against the wall as a precautionary measure, only the wanker ripped my BCG injection scab off so now I have a small scar.

Alien War was fucking excellent though.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby doglips on Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:31 pm

Damn, you have a good memory. I can remember thinking 'This is not going to be scary' - haha, how wrong I was.... As soon as the line up was over and the marines started to jostle us around, the adrenaline started to pump and bam, Aliens all over the place. The guy getting ripped out of the lift nearly made me collapse. seems steep when you pay to get in, but it's well worth it.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby John-Locke on Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:40 pm

Yeah it was like £15 back in 93 if memory serves correctly, one hell of an experience that I doubt I'll ever forget, even walking through the room with all the Alien Eggs was scary, you had to be really quite with no sudden movements, nothing would have happened I'm sure but everyone took it deadly serious.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby doglips on Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:44 pm

I went in '95, I think the price was about the same - £15

Anyway, back on topic - why is this movie being made? Ugh.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby guns_n_motley on Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:41 pm

what is this alien war?? is it a ride of sorts. I always thought they should do something like that at universal studios

have you go throug some thing in outer space and an alien attack
guns_n_motley
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:04 pm

I always wanted to go to that.....Damn shame the US never had anything of the sort.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:52 pm

Alien War was like a guided experience, it was in the basement of the Trocadero Centre in Picadilly Circus London, as soon as you went through the doors with your tour you were immersed in the Alien World, it was set in and around a base of some kind, as you enter there is an Alien outbreak and your Marine Guide had to take you through to safety, it was simply brilliant, unfortunately the price and the fact that the basement kept on flooding kept it from making a lot of money, it was popular at first but within a year or so it shut down which was a real shame, I tried to go again but it had closed down due to another flood.

Funnily enough a year or so before it started I had to do a group oral presentation on a made up theme park for English in School, I came up with the concept of Alien vs Terminator vs Predator world, it was fucking badass and I got an A :D
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby SilentBobX on Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:03 pm

The time has come to retire these characters, or at the very least give us a Gears of War style videogame done in the next gen and then bury this franchise once and for all.

You can only squeeze so much acid milk from the alien tit of this franchise

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Aliens Versus Predator 2

Postby bastard_robo on Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:00 am

John-Locke wrote:Yeah a guy got ripped out of the elevator and there was an Alien hiding under one of the seats in the tank. Me and my buddy came face to face with a Alien (could have been a projection because there was all this crazy strobe laser stuff) when the Marine got us all lined up against a wall as he opened some doors, he opened them, started firing and told everyone to run away, me and my buddy pushed ourselves to the front and were legging it until suddenly there was a 7ft tall Alien in front of us, the people behind us hadn't all seen it so we were actually getting pushed towards it after we had seen it, I almost shit myself with fear.

A Marine jumped out at us from behind some barrels near the start too, and the Marine who was our guide pushed me against the wall as a precautionary measure, only the wanker ripped my BCG injection scab off so now I have a small scar.

Alien War was fucking excellent though.

When I went to San Fransico, around 98 or so, they had a Simulation Ride (kinda like those FAKE ROLLERCOSTER RIDES where you sit in a box and it moves around... Like star tours!) But it was in the alien world, and if memory serves me correct it was called ALIENS FEAR THE RUSH or some shit like that. And you were in a strap down cart or something and had aliens and face huggers coming at you.

Though this ALIEN WAR (which i think starlog had a write up on in an issue) sounds just like the STAR TREK ride at the HILTON hotel in LAS VEGAS. That was some fun shit right there!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby tapehead on Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:31 am

shakermakerman wrote:THE FIRST IMAGE FROM ALIEN VS PREDATOR 2

it looks effin awesome

taken from here http://www.movie-infos.de/galerie_details.php?imag e_id=12691

Are you Kidding Me?

MAN IN SUIT! MAN IN SUIT!
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby colonel_lugz on Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:32 am

They have really over-done the ridges on the Aliens head
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:35 am

But why not fuck with Giger's design, one of the elements that made the first two films Science Fiction/Horror classics?

Remember, these are 'pred-aliens' (or some such bullshit).
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby shakermakerman on Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:41 am

i still have my Alien War card i got with my alien box set with the face hugger on it :D .
shakermakerman
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:07 am

@tape - well, technically it's Cameron who fucked with the design with Stan Winston if they're following that route. Giger's already said he was displeased with the transformation of the alien over the movies into resembling actual shit! I love the original aggressive look of the Alien, sure it was a man in a suit by the end, but until it got blown out of the airlock it was an incredibly scary beast... due to getting glimpses of its size, shape and bizarre physiology.

Cameron took away much of the mystery, but provided the spectacle and situations for the creatures to remain quite frightening. The problem with Resurrection onwards was they just became frightening by numbers rather than suggestion. At least Cameron tried to provide fleeting glimpses...
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:23 am

So you agree, then. Be nice if you could reference the Giger comment - I'd like to read said interview/article/book. Unless it came up in a conversation you had with him...
Last edited by tapehead on Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Seppuku on Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:40 am

Directions for improving alien image:

1) Take a liberal dosage of slime and smear across infected area.

2) Do not directly expose to harsh or bright sunlight.

3) Don't make this fucking movie.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:45 am

Meh, I can't remember the reference, but I know he said it. He was never happy that he wasn't credited for the design in the later movies either, just check out his website!

Anyhow, essentially I agree with the sentiment as I feel the original design was the strongest, but there's a few things worth bearing in mind...

The reason Cameron fucked with the design was that he wanted to make something his own. He worked in sfx and did a lot of the design work alongside Winston, plus I believe he also puppeteered the Alien Queen (could be wrong on that one). Not just that but the clunky suit used for Alien simply wasn't viable when shooting the attack scenes.

Naturally directors within the franchise wanted to make a mark on each movie, and this included adapting Gigers design. Not that I think it's a wise decision, nor is it completely based on ego... It seems that there is a degree of free reign (beyond Sigourneys control of her character) visually which can be bent quite sharply but not broken. Each episode of the series really is a product of some pretty strong directorial styles.

Suffice to say, unless a director was to continue the series from one to the next, it's kind of inevitable that all are so different.

Personally beyond the original, I do like the dog creature from Alien3. I think that episode is rather underrated, although I do often think on what would've happened if they'd had stuck to the original concept of a wooden planet...
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby colonel_lugz on Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:48 am

AtomicHyperbole wrote:think that episode is rather underrated,

THANK YOU!!!!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:50 am

I have watched Fincher's cut and enjoyed it alot - keen to see it again actually

it comes third from best to worst.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:11 pm

The Dino, he too like a the Fincher's version, eh? But hands-a-down, I gotta to express a my love for a the perfection that is a the first Alien film, eh? It borrows some of a the best stuff from a my paisan, Mario Bava's "Planet of a the Vampires" anna expands upon it anna creates a the totally believeable world, no?

One of a the last great science-fiction movies before a the Star Wars, she take over anna ruin everything, eh?

Anna yes, Giger's inspired design of a the original xenomorphic shape, she hadda to be adapted for a the guy inna the suit, but as a the previous poster said, unna'til the putz got blasted out of a the airlock, you dinna know what inna the hell it a really look a like or a what shape he was, no?

Interestingly, they gotta the deleted scene onna the DVD that although wisely cut a 'cos you could a see it a was a just a the guy inna the suit, is a still some-a-what freakish, no? The alien, he leaning back onna his hands anna feet, walking forwards with a the tail extending up inna front anna between a his legs... hehehe... I always a like a the bizarre nature of a the way he move inna that scene.
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby shakermakerman on Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:43 pm

Cameron taken the dome off the aliens because he was having problems with it cracking. and he wanted the actors (men in suits) to be more active.
shakermakerman
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby colonel_lugz on Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:47 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Interestingly, they gotta the deleted scene onna the DVD that although wisely cut a 'cos you could a see it a was a just a the guy inna the suit, is a still some-a-what freakish, no? The alien, he leaning back onna his hands anna feet, walking forwards with a the tail extending up inna front anna between a his legs... hehehe... I always a like a the bizarre nature of a the way he move inna that scene.

That is one hell of a creepy scene. Glad they didn't keep it in, but the way the creature moves sends shivers down my spine
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:00 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:One of a the last great science-fiction movies before a the Star Wars, she take over anna ruin everything, eh?

Huh paisan?
Star Wars '77
Alien '79
Which was first?
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:34 pm

Goddamn putz... donna you think I KNOW the order inna which a the movies, they come out, eh?

But it took a the time for a the Star Wars to seep inna'to a the popular culture anna take over inna the sense that much of a the sci-fi inna the 80s was a just a the Star Wars clones, no?

But Alien, she was a different kind of a the beast, no? A bit of a the throwback to a the earlier 70s sci-fi but with a the horror element, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:05 pm

I dunno I think most bad sci-fi horror was Alien ripoffs during the 80's...They must have divided up the decade between clones like BSG and Leviathan etc.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby shakermakerman on Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:41 pm

tapehead wrote:I have watched Fincher's cut and enjoyed it alot - keen to see it again actually

it comes third from best to worst.

that cut is a work of art fox really screwed him over.
shakermakerman
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby darthevilbob on Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:43 pm

Technically it wasn't Fincher's cut we saw on the DVD, they just added in all the extra scenes cut, although I do admit I enjoyed that version more.

Although the camera up the nose directing style is kinda wierd.
darthevilbob
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:12 pm

darthevilbob wrote:Technically it wasn't Fincher's cut we saw on the DVD, they just added in all the extra scenes cut, although I do admit I enjoyed that version more.

darth!

Where've you been...?

And what did you do with Eric...?
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby papalazeru on Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:24 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:The Dino, he too like a the Fincher's version, eh? But hands-a-down, I gotta to express a my love for a the perfection that is a the first Alien film, eh? It borrows some of a the best stuff from a my paisan, Mario Bava's "Planet of a the Vampires" anna expands upon it anna creates a the totally believeable world, no?

One of a the last great science-fiction movies before a the Star Wars, she take over anna ruin everything, eh?

Anna yes, Giger's inspired design of a the original xenomorphic shape, she hadda to be adapted for a the guy inna the suit, but as a the previous poster said, unna'til the putz got blasted out of a the airlock, you dinna know what inna the hell it a really look a like or a what shape he was, no?

Interestingly, they gotta the deleted scene onna the DVD that although wisely cut a 'cos you could a see it a was a just a the guy inna the suit, is a still some-a-what freakish, no? The alien, he leaning back onna his hands anna feet, walking forwards with a the tail extending up inna front anna between a his legs... hehehe... I always a like a the bizarre nature of a the way he move inna that scene.

Not nearly enough is written about the Giger designs and the Aliens themselves. I appreciate that you writing this but I find the later in the series purports to heresy.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby darkjedijaina on Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:35 pm

i really want this movie to be good.
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:35 am

papalazeru wrote:I appreciate that you writing this but I find the later in the series purports to heresy.

Holy crappa, somebody wanna to translate a this inna to a the goddamn English for a the Dino, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:36 am

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
papalazeru wrote:I appreciate that you writing this but I find the later in the series purports to heresy.

Holy crappa, somebody wanna to translate a this inna to a the goddamn English for a the Dino, eh?

Brain-Twister nominee...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby shakermakerman on Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:24 pm

darkjedijaina wrote:i really want this movie to be good.

dont worry it will be have faith check out the imdb boards for what the directors have to say.
shakermakerman
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby guns_n_motley on Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:03 am

I have faith that it will be good

and it sounds good, I just cant buy into aliens/predator being on earth in modern day in a quaint little town
guns_n_motley
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:24 am

darthevilbob wrote:Technically it wasn't Fincher's cut we saw on the DVD, they just added in all the extra scenes cut, although I do admit I enjoyed that version more.

SHOOT FROM DA HIP!

BTW I wouldn't say it's just adding deleted scenes. The whole dog scene is truly disturbing in the original cut, but there's more to the dead cow scene than previously (Alien Queen hugger, for example)...
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:35 am

This is the one I saw - My mistake - a little false advertising, and not looking at the fine print.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby shakermakerman on Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:49 am

tapehead wrote:This is the one I saw - My mistake - a little false advertising, and not looking at the fine print.

you can get the box set for that. :lol:
shakermakerman
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby tapehead on Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:59 am

rental -50p for a week - and i ripped it j/k
tapehead
BALLS!!!

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion