CHILDREN OF MEN

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

With 10 being the best and 1 being the worst, how would you rate Children of Men?

42%
24%
17%
5%
5%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
1%
I'm waiting until DVD / TV
5%
Movies without fertile women turn me off. I won't be seeing this.
No votes

Total votes : 95

Postby tapehead on Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:13 pm

Wolfpack wrote:I guess they don't have cloning in 2027.

Brave New World it aint, though there remains a great film to be made from that book, I've always thought.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby The Vicar on Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:13 pm

John-Locke wrote:SPOILERS

I had absolutely no problem with the ending, it's Theo's story from beginning to end, I think he's present in every single scene in the whole film, once he's dead it would seem odd to have the story continue, which also brings up a interesting possibility, as it's his story it's also possible that the boat arriving is one of his dying thoughts, he had hope, doesn't mean it actually did turn up.

Nodding in agreement here.
But I think the boat IS real.
I'm thinking ( hoping) that the sounds of laughing, playing children heard over the end credits means the boat was real, the hope was real & the "future" is saved.

COM is Theo's story.
The ending works from that POV.

And going upside that facist pig's head with a discarded car battery?
Priceless.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Al Shut on Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:56 pm

I had a slight feeling that the end was out of place, but I have no idea why. it works well and the point about the movie beeing Theo's story makes sense but something inwside isn't quite satisfied.

Should a movie about hpe be really that open ended? I dunno
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:00 pm

I saw this over the weekend. Add me to the 10's.

My favorite thing about this movie was that for as bleak and dystopic as the world was, there was a beautiful current of hope underneath it all. I adore the fact that the boat was called "Tomorrow."

A really great, rather important film.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby The Vicar on Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:04 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:I saw this over the weekend. Add me to the 10's.

My favorite thing about this movie was that for as bleak and dystopic as the world was, there was a beautiful current of hope underneath it all. I adore the fact that the boat was called "Tomorrow."

A really great, rather important film.

Been to see COM three times thus far, and will likely catch it one or two more before the smoke clears ( although Pan's Labyrinth is finally opening around here and I am absolutely hitting that). Wish I could ammend my original vote.
I'll be very interested in the DVD release - to see what got trimmed.
Remarkable film.
The Vicar

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:16 pm

Well I got it on DVD and there doesn't seem to have been anything trimmed from the theatrical release. I must say I'm astounded by the lack of media coverage the movie got in the US. Not even a talkback for the film on it's release day. That's truly fucking shocking and disgusting.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby The Vicar on Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:23 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Well I got it on DVD and there doesn't seem to have been anything trimmed from the theatrical release. I must say I'm astounded by the lack of media coverage the movie got in the US. Not even a talkback for the film on it's release day. That's truly fucking shocking and disgusting.

And you were expecting......?

Too much antcipation in the US over Kelly to Justin II for COM to compete with.
You heard it here first.

( some parts of this story may be false....)
The Vicar

Postby underscore on Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:05 am

The Vicar wrote:
MasterWhedon wrote:
Remarkable film.

I don't think there will be any. He doesn't do film like that. He just edits to the point where his director's cut is sufficient enough to be the theatrical cut. He really believes in that.
underscore
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Fievel on Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:01 am

Just saw it.
Amazing.

The scene near the end where the fighting stops to see the baby.... that was the most unexpected eye-misting for me in quite a while. Bastards. But to me, that merely means that the film had me. It sucked me in to the point that I felt it.
Bravo.

And that was the BEST MICHAEL CAINE ROLE IN YEARS!!!! Was it because he was a pot growing/smoking Dumbledore? Perhaps, but his last scenes were heartbreaking as well.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Dark Knight on Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:17 am

Was i the only one who jumped out of my seat when that bomb went off in the opening?
El Wray will find the missing reel, just watch...
Dark Knight
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Hollywood_Bob on Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:22 am

Yeah I saw this last night....amazing film. I especially liked the fact that it was Theo's story...that everything we learned about what was going on was exactly what he learned. I liked that there were no cuts to what the government or the army, or even the extremists were doing. I don't want to spoil anymore if I have already...this was just an incredible flick.
However, I will never see it again, due to the fact that I took this really obese chick who works for Sony to the arclight...thus cheating on my girlfriend of over a year; and successfully securing my fate as a lying cheating bastard.
Last edited by Hollywood_Bob on Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The only way to rid yourself of tempation...is to yeild to it." Oscar Wilde

Hollywood_Bob
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Hollywood_Bob on Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:23 am

Dark Knight wrote:Was i the only one who jumped out of my seat when that bomb went off in the opening?

nope I flew at least three rows back...thankfully I was anchored down by the obesity of the boring chick from Sony
Last edited by Hollywood_Bob on Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
"The only way to rid yourself of tempation...is to yeild to it." Oscar Wilde

Hollywood_Bob
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Yack Backer on Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:28 am

Hollywood_Bob wrote:
Dark Knight wrote:Was i the only one who jumped out of my seat when that bomb went off in the opening?

nope I flew at least three rows back...

The first time I saw it, I lept up high. The second time I saw it, my two friends with me jumped up too (it was their first time seeing it). That was a BRILLIANT opening. And then the title card comes up. Right then and there you know this movie is going to own your ass.
Yack Backer
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby MisterCynic on Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:30 am

if little children weren't so brilliant, children of men would be the best movie i've seen this year... but that doesn't really matter, since as it stands these are both two of the best movies i've seen in the past few years, at least.
MisterCynic
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby TonyWilson on Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:24 am

Yack Backer wrote:
Hollywood_Bob wrote:

nope I flew at least three rows back...

The first time I saw it, I lept up high. The second time I saw it, my two friends with me jumped up too (it was their first time seeing it). That was a BRILLIANT opening. And then the title card comes up. Right then and there you know this movie is going to own your ass.

Yeh the title card and then the next shot still has the high pitched whine from the bomb blast over the top of it. You feel drawn in to the world right then and there.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby Dark Knight on Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:27 am

Right then and there you know this movie is going to own your ass.

Exactly, it's like Cuaron's way of going "Everybody shut up and watch my movie!"
El Wray will find the missing reel, just watch...
Dark Knight
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby justcheckin on Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:57 am

TonyWilson wrote:Well I got it on DVD and there doesn't seem to have been anything trimmed from the theatrical release. I must say I'm astounded by the lack of media coverage the movie got in the US. Not even a talkback for the film on it's release day. That's truly fucking shocking and disgusting.

Yeah, honestly I saw maybe 1 trailer on tv or something... I wouldn't have know too much about it had I not been around here. It was awesome...
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby The Vicar on Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:31 pm

underscore wrote:
The Vicar wrote:
MasterWhedon wrote:
Remarkable film.

I don't think there will be any. He doesn't do film like that. He just edits to the point where his director's cut is sufficient enough to be the theatrical cut. He really believes in that.

Good on him.
Didn't ever feel there was anything missing in the first place, but I am the curious sort.
Doesn't really need any "deleted scenes".
The Vicar

Postby Bean on Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:50 pm

Um... can anyone say snubbed??
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:52 pm

Now that you mention it, I barely saw any previews/ads for it leading up to release.

I'm trying to catch this one this weekend.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby tapehead on Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:07 pm

tapehead wrote:edit: Is this film being buried in the U.S.?
http://tinyurl.com/y5l2x7

coupla pages back I posted this link with my review which goes to an article by J.Hoberman about how Universal kinda 'buried' this movie in the U.S. - thought some of the posters above might be interested.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Yack Backer on Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:19 pm

I've been giving this movie word of mouth praise since I saw it 2-3 weeks ago. Most people I talk to about it are completely unaware of 1) it's existence and 2) obviously, its premise. And it's a hard sell, I've found out. People think "what, another cheesy sci-fi movie?" And the others that don't think that worry that its just a depressing, preachy 2 and a half hours in the making.

The movie's ambition is what keeps people away. 99.9999% of the directors out there would screw this project up with conventions that we as filmgoers have come to expect. Most people cannot fathom that a movie about humanity's extinction is both thrilling and nourishing for the soul. Cuaron pulled off the most difficult movie in recent years.

So as far as the Academy goes, I (sadly) predict that a vast majority of them haven't seen the film.
Yack Backer
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:29 pm

Bean wrote:Um... can anyone say snubbed??

Three nominations isn't snubbed.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:36 pm

Perhap not snubbed, but certainly not what it deserves. Best Film, Director and Actor is what it deserves as well as cinematography, editing and adpated screenplay.
TonyWilson

Postby Lady Sheridan on Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:41 pm

Infertility is but a metaphor that enables Children of Men to entertain the possibility of No Future. The only parents these days who assume their children will inhabit a better world are either those living in the gated communities of the super-rich or the immigrants imported to tend their gardens. That these 'fugees are visualized as the persecuted rabble of a crumbling empire is only one of this movie's inconvenient truths.

This is precisely why I think this movie was buried here--I was *just* saying this today to my mom and sister. Americans aren't living in reality these days. You can only get them to pay attention if you trick them into the lesson, like "Happy Feet" did.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:45 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Perhap not snubbed, but certainly not what it deserves. Best Film, Director and Actor is what it deserves as well as cinematography, editing and adpated screenplay.

No, I know. I'm just being a stickler. But this is what typically happens with "edgier" fare. Ellen Burstyn was nominated for Supporting Actress for Requiem for a Dream, and many saw that as the Academy rewarding the film with the nomination as they were too scared to nominated it in the main categories. Same song, second verse.

It's all a big game, equal parts awesome and bullshit.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:46 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:
Infertility is but a metaphor that enables Children of Men to entertain the possibility of No Future. The only parents these days who assume their children will inhabit a better world are either those living in the gated communities of the super-rich or the immigrants imported to tend their gardens. That these 'fugees are visualized as the persecuted rabble of a crumbling empire is only one of this movie's inconvenient truths.

This is precisely why I think this movie was buried here--I was *just* saying this today to my mom and sister. Americans aren't living in reality these days. You can only get them to pay attention if you trick them into the lesson, like "Happy Feet" did.

Hey, I agree there, LS. I didn't want to think that that was the reason, but there isn't another plausible one for burying this movie that has had rave reviews nearly accross the board.
V for Vendetta got away with it because it was SO theatrical and silly, presenting a truthful possible future reality is obviously much to worrisome for the power players.
TonyWilson

Postby The Vicar on Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:12 pm

TonyWilson wrote:
Lady Sheridan wrote:

Hey, I agree there, LS. I didn't want to think that that was the reason, but there isn't another plausible one for burying this movie that has had rave reviews nearly accross the board.
V for Vendetta got away with it because it was SO theatrical and silly, presenting a truthful possible future reality is obviously much to worrisome for the power players.

Doesn't this idea make you just a little sick in the pit of your stomach?
Me too.
The Vicar

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:18 pm

The Vicar wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:
Lady Sheridan wrote:

Doesn't this idea make you just a little sick in the pit of your stomach?
Me too.

deeply fucking nauseous.
TonyWilson

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:18 pm

How awesome would it have been had Cuaron directed V for Vendetta?
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:20 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:How awesome would it have been had Cuaron directed V for Vendetta?

That woulda been special. Though I think V was shafted in the script stages I'd still love to see what an actual director (as opposed to the Wachowski's bitch) could have done with it.
TonyWilson

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:22 pm

TonyWilson wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:How awesome would it have been had Cuaron directed V for Vendetta?

That woulda been special. Though I think V was shafted in the script stages I'd still love to see what an actual director (as opposed to the Wachowski's bitch) could have done with it.

You're too kind there.

Yeah, Cuaron and his team handling V right from the beginning, that would've been fantastic.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:24 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:

You're too kind there.

Yeah, Cuaron and his team handling V right from the beginning, that would've been fantastic.

Cuaron doing Watchmen. Mmmmm, orgasm!!!
TonyWilson

Postby underscore on Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:06 pm

TonyWilson wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:

You're too kind there.

YES!

Oh how the comic book fans would howl but to hell with them!
underscore
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:12 pm

underscore wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:

You're too kind there.

YES!

Oh how the comic book fans would howl but to hell with them!

Well, I'm a huge fan of the comic and I certainly wouldn't howl, not out of anger anyhow, if Cuaron replaced Snyder in the director's chair...
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:14 pm

Damn straight, guys. I love DOTD 2004 and 300 looks like fantastic entertainment but he does not have the right sensibilities for Watchmen in my opinion.
TonyWilson

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:16 pm

TonyWilson wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:Cuaron and his team handling V right from the beginning, that would've been fantastic.

Not to get too off-topicy, but I'm still wishing that Greengrass would come back and do Watchmen. More than anybody else he strikes me as a good fit for the material.

But Cuaron directing most anything is okay with me. Is he still planning on doing A Memory of Running next?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:19 pm

Ribbons wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:Cuaron and his team handling V right from the beginning, that would've been fantastic.

Not to get too off-topicy, but I'm still wishing that Greengrass would come back and do Watchmen. More than anybody else he strikes me as a good fit for the material.

But Cuaron directing most anything is okay with me. Is he still planning on doing A Memory of Running next?

I have an interview with Terry Gilliam in an issue of total film where he's asked about Watchmen and Greengrass, apparently he spoke to Greengrass and asked him how he was going to tackle all the amazing visuals and sets, he said that he was going to shoot in a style similar to the Bourne Supremacy, fast cuts over the action and huge scenes. I know it sounds suprising but I doubt Gilliam would just make it up. I think intellectually and emotionally Greengrass is an excellent fit, but visually I don't think he has what would be required.
TonyWilson

Postby Nordling on Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:01 pm

Man, I haven't been able to stop thinking about this movie. That 10 minute shot... is just the pinnacle of filmmaking. I hate to make it seem like I'm mocking it, but it feels very GEARS OF WAR.

Just a damn great film all around, and the Oscars fucked up this year with this, and THE FOUNTAIN, and UNITED 93...
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:30 pm

Nordling wrote:Just a damn great film all around, and the Oscars fucked up this year with this, and THE FOUNTAIN, and UNITED 93...

I'm about to watch UNITED 93...
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby papalazeru on Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:02 pm

I've finally got round to watching Children of Men.

I have to admit. It lived up to every expectation and exceeded many. I should weep at such a film as this.

For some reason the actions scenes reminded me of Three Kings, which is in no way a bad thing.

10/10, I can't fault this movie at all. Its just too good to be true.

*sobs*
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby John-Locke on Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:13 pm

papalazeru wrote:I can't fault this movie at all. Its just too good to be true.

I found the score overly obtrusive at times, would have been more effective if some of the moments were allowed to be more poignant through silence.

Other than that I agree, a near perfect chase film with a message.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby tapehead on Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:12 pm

I knew Papalazeru would love it
I would have liked to have seen this film play all the multiplexes and middle of the road cinemas
the story is broad, easily understood, and has near-universal themes.
the action is relentless and unparalleled.
And even though the Oscars frustrate me and make me angry (dunno why I keep paying them my attention really) it will be sweet if Emmanuel Lubezki win for his fantastic yet at times very subtle cinematography.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby papalazeru on Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:44 pm

Yeah...the Chase scenes were Luc Besson-ish.

It didn't dwell so much on the complexities of the situation like say an Asimov book but the subtleties to the sci-fi element were plain to see all around and in the tiniest little detail.

I do love how hardly anyone has a bright vision of the future - now thats saying something, but this film kept it squarely in the confines of what is possible and practical.

Sheers Brilliance. The acting was supurb, even Julianne Moores role was wonderful to watch. Clive Owen was perfect for the role and especially had me on the edge of the seat when he was pushing the car.

Love those long take, they really got the tension out of every moment, I didn't want to close my eyes for fear of missing a bullet or something important.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:50 pm

I really liked this film too. There were certain aspects of it that i didn't really like which can really be encapsulated in two words michael caine, and i usually love him...

I liked the rest of it though and thought that it WAS unimportant to represent the whole history of the story as i think it was all explained in the writing of the characters. I really liked it, i wouldn't say i thought it was fantastic. i gave it 8 out of ten...
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby The Vicar on Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:50 pm

BTW - after three trips ( and at least one more over the weekend ) I still get the chills when Court of the Crimson King comes wafting into the theatre.

Fucking brilliant.
The Vicar

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:57 pm

The Vicar wrote:I still get the chills when Court of the Crimson King comes wafting into the theatre.

Fucking brilliant.

the snarky fucks @ Idolator have graciously hosted two CoM songs this week.

Court of the Crimson King

and

Bring on the Lucie (Freeda Peeple)
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MacCready on Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:54 pm

The two best films of 2006 were Children of Men ( my choice) & Pan's Labyribth ( photo finish).

To have to listen to whiney shit about how Dreamgirls got rammed out of a Best Picture nom.......crazy-making.
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Conroy420 on Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:48 pm

This film desereved a best director and picture nom.

The oscers are more politcal than practical anyway, so it doesn't really surprise me.
To read some original works by me, please ask, I need the feedback!
Conroy420
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby The Ginger Man on Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:49 pm

Finally caught this tonight and it without a doubt my favorite film of 2006. It literally owned my eyeballs from start to finish and was one of the few films in recent viewings to play harpsichord with my heart strings. It was raw, gripping, and frightening. And I loved every damn minute of it.

In regards to sci fi films, CoM gave me everything The Fountain didn't. Character, Hope, Clarity, Truth, Majesty, Story....I know there's a lot of love for The Fountain here...but that film didn't even deserve to suck CoM's dick.

I loved this film. And now I'm off to sleep on it...I cannot wait.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion