Spaceballs: The Animated Series

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Spaceballs: The Animated Series

Postby MonkeyM666 on Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:54 am

Once again, I have searched and found nothing on this so fingers crossed that I'm not doubling up with this thread.

Comcast cabler gets 'Spaceballs'
Lion animates Brooks laffer for TV
By JOHN DEMPSEY
Brooks

MGM TV has commissioned an animated series based on Mel Brooks' 1987 "Spaceballs" movie and sold exclusive rights in the U.S. to Comcast's G4 cable network.
Encompassing a one-hour pilot and 13 half-hour episodes, project represents the first scripted series greenlit by the new TV division at MGM, led by Jim Packer, president of the worldwide TV distribution group. Series kicks off on G4 in fall 2007.

Although the movie grossed only $38.1 million in U.S. multiplexes, Packer said "Spaceballs" has become "a successful franchise for our library" through sale in video and DVD and to cable and pay TV nets.

Brooks and Thomas Meehan, who co-wrote the movie with Ronnie Graham, have penned the one-hour pilot, and Meehan will supervise the writing of the 13 half-hours. Brooks will do two of the voices, President Skroob and Yogurt.

Germany's Berliner Film Companie will provide the animation.

Packer said he expects brisk international sales of the show at next month's Mipcom festival in Cannes.

G4, which has 59 million subscribers, will become involved in the making of "Spaceballs," which is a joint production of MGM Studios, Brooksfilms Ltd. and Berliner.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby colonel_lugz on Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:56 am

Hmmmmmm what audience is this aimed at? I hope it's going for a more "adult" market
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:59 am

So do I, but what I've read they're trying to relaunch it for the tweens.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:03 am

The REAL Spaceballs
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:39 pm

Merchandising! merchandising! Where the real money from the movie is made!

Like the Mega Maid, this show is gonna go from suck to blow.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:56 pm

i <3 mel brooks!
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lurker Johnson on Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:41 pm

Very weird. I loved the movie, but I just don't see how it will pan out in rapidly moving sequential art format.

Maybe they'll do a hefty dose of spoofing on the prequels, which has the potential to be hilarious.

G4 is kind of a weak channel, though. Unless you like watching the same cheat code shows every four hours or so. However, I do give them semi-props for the Star Trek 2.0 thing that they did. I think it was an interesting idea, but I wasn't crazed about the execution.

Anyways, I'll miss it since I no longer have super premium television options. Perhaps the DVDs will be rentable in a year or so. Let me know if it's worth it Zoners (if anyone watches it).
Lurker Johnson
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby papalazeru on Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:17 pm

Spaceballs? Hmm...has at a guess being a Star Wars parody all the way through.

I see some very good points and some very bad points.

1) A good SW parody is always good, the film was awesome.

2) There are only finite ideas they can't parody but the new movies should at least supply 3 series' of jokes.

3) Mel Brooks has to be a BIG part of this otherwise it will suck (or bring on teh Kevin Smith)

4)If they use the series to bring on a merchandising deal it sort of defeats the purpose of the film somewhat (hence the Lucas irony).

And more a moot point but can't Lucas sue considering its a parody of the SW series?
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Dark Knight on Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:24 pm

I use to really like G4 but then they changed up Attack of the show and got all commercial. I could see this being good if they did an Adult Swim type cartoon but I'm afraid they're gonna play it safe and make it more of an adventure show or something. Just a thought....
El Wray will find the missing reel, just watch...
Dark Knight
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby papalazeru on Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:35 pm

Dark Knight wrote:I use to really like G4 but then they changed up Attack of the show and got all commercial. I could see this being good if they did an Adult Swim type cartoon but I'm afraid they're gonna play it safe and make it more of an adventure show or something. Just a thought....

Adventure show? Shock! Horror! you mean like Dungeons and Dungeons?

:lol:

That would be cool.

"Wow! A Roller coaster!"

papalazeru

Postby Fievel on Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:52 am

John Candy wept!

I don't forsee this being great. Mediocre? Sure, but not great. I do hope it's good though.

I don't mind Attack Of The Show. If it's a matter of watching a program that touches on a lot of geek things I like (movies/games/gadgets/etc.) or watching Jeopardy.... I'll take the geek show.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Dark Knight on Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:00 am

On Attack of the show, I just hated that they replaced a good amount of the cast last year. The new people just seem like they're posing and really dont know what they're talking about, just reading cue cards etc.

On Spaceballs, one question, would they keep John Candy's character (forget the name) and if so, who would voice it? Oh, and they better get Bill Pulman because he's the man
El Wray will find the missing reel, just watch...
Dark Knight
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby buster00 on Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:41 am

Dark Knight wrote:
On Spaceballs, one question, would they keep John Candy's character (forget the name)....

Barf. The name's Barf.

papalazeru wrote:3) Mel Brooks has to be a BIG part of this otherwise it will suck (or bring on teh Kevin Smith)

Yeah, sure. Go ahead, bring 80-year-old Mel Brooks on board. Go ahead.

That's what this production needs. An 80-year-old Mel Brooks.

Jesus Goddamn Christ, papalazeru, what are you smoking? Mel Brooks? A BIG part of this...?!?!

Keep that fuckin' old geezer as far away from the set as possible, and this thing might have a chance.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:53 am

papalazeru wrote:And more a moot point but can't Lucas sue considering its a parody of the SW series?

I'm sure that Lucas would have done it by now if he could. If he didn't sue over the movie, he has no place to stand in regards to the series. The only thing that could get this into trouble is if they start feeding off of SW's new franchise from the past ten years. Darth Maul, the driod armys etc.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:02 am

I think the law allows for parody, if I remember rightly, thanks to fair use. We played with every sci fi under the sun for the kids television series Bounty Hamster, from 2001 to Alien and Star Wars. If the law didn't allow it, we wouldn't have.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lurker Johnson on Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:04 am

Dark Knight wrote:On Attack of the show, I just hated that they replaced a good amount of the cast last year. The new people just seem like they're posing and really dont know what they're talking about, just reading cue cards etc.

That's because the old cast were banging each other so much that an uber-rare form of bionic space syphillis spontaneously erupted and disentigrated the lower halves of each cast member's body (kind of like the "I have no legs" guy on the skateboard from the movie Kids).

True story.
Lurker Johnson
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:51 pm

I love Spaceballs but I'm not too sure about an animated series, especially if it's aimed at kiddies. Hmmm.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:58 pm

buster00 wrote:
Keep that fuckin' old geezer as far away from the set as possible, and this thing might have a chance.

I'll just ingnore your blatant age-ism.....

Pssst it's animated thus a complete lack of a "set".
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:28 pm

buster00 wrote:Yeah, sure. Go ahead, bring 80-year-old Mel Brooks on board. Go ahead.

That's what this production needs. An 80-year-old Mel Brooks.

Jesus Goddamn Christ, papalazeru, what are you smoking? Mel Brooks? A BIG part of this...?!?!

I'm talking about script wise. No need to take it so personally! Mel Brooks has done some works of art in the past but he's also done some stinkers, give him a chance.

papalazeru

Postby buster00 on Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:12 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
buster00 wrote:

I'll just ingnore your blatant age-ism.....

Pssst it's animated thus a complete lack of a "set".

HA! um...yeah...I meant "studio"... :oops:

In my head, I must have been mixing it up with the set of Get Smart.

Don't Drink and Post.

And I guess I have been a little hard on ol' Brooksy the last couple of days. Who knows; maybe he has a few funny ideas left after all.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:09 am

Well, no more real info floating around, but I did find some images that look like they may have come from the studios... I don't know for sure, but if this is the direction that it's going (powerpuff girls/new Disney) I don't really like it at all. The fingers are all pointing to financially secure with corporate-sponsored opinions for me. What do you guys think if these are real?

MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby silentbobafett on Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:04 am

hmmmm..... I #mnot sold on this yet! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Return to Animation