DC Showcase + Marvel Essential

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

DC Showcase + Marvel Essential

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:22 am

Both DC and Marvel are reprinting classic stories in massive 500 page black and white softcover books at bargain prices. Is anyone else reading these?

Since I am a newcomer to comics (only been reading for a few years) I desperately want to catch up on the history of my favorite characters. This seems like an excellent way to do just that.

I just ordered the Showcase: Green Lantern vol. 1.

Are there any other ways to catch up on history? I know Marvel has the A-Z handbook, but does DC have something along those lines?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:44 pm

ive been reading Captain America Essentials Vol. 2. it collects like 25 or 30 issues of cap from like 68 to 70. mostly lee/kirby, but then it covers some of the steranko years too. its kind of cool, because you get a lot of stories for a low price. the disadvantage is that sometimes, the B & W can make some of the panels a little confusing. like sometimes, there are so many intersecting black lines, in a narrow panel, that distinguishing some stuff can be a little difficult from time to time. now, by no means does this impair the stories, but it is a minor distraction from time to time. that being said, its nice to have an inexpensive collection that you dont have to worry about it getting beat up or destroyed. it was meant to be read and used up and beat to death.

yes sir, i like em.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:26 pm

I heard that Marvel is cancelling their Essentials line. Bummer.

I just got my Green Lantern SHOWCASE vol. 1 and I adore it. I can't put it down. I am going to try and snatch up as many of these as I can. I will definitely be getting GL vol. 2 and The Flash vol. 1 when it comes out.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Return to Comic Books