Comic Book Reviews

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:16 am

thedoglippedone wrote:Do you think Bendis might get Runaways?

If Bendis gets Runaways there WILL be riots. I really doubt they would give him the book. My guess? Whedon (fingers crossed), Robert Kirkman, or perhaps Dan Slott.

Marvel has said the official announcement will be made in one week at the Baltimore Summit.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:20 am

Slott would be good! But it will probably be Whedon.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:37 am

thedoglippedone wrote:Slott would be good! But it will probably be Whedon.

I think Whedon has to be the ideal choice. I mean if anyone else but Whedon takes over the writing duties...it will be noticeable. Vaughan's stories are crafted very much like Whedon's...not to mention the pop-culture laden dialogue.

I guess we will see in one short week!

/END THREADJACK!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:40 pm

Bendis on Runaways? Talk about a change in tone and storytelling style. Please, no. I'd be happy with either Slott or Whedon, though I haven't read a great deal of Slott.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Lady Sheridan on Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:35 pm

I just got done reading Warsong #1...

Considering I'm always missing the boat and reading a series after it is done, to read a series in progress is no end of frustrating for me. Especially when it's the first installment.

Warsong left me completely unsatisfied and yet desperate to know what is coming. Even though it was widely known to NOT be a Jean Gray resurrection story, the writers kept trying to trick readers into thinking it was. It seems like they could have spent some extra panels on story instead.

There's lots of potential and I'm dead curious as to where it is going, but I could see it misfiring...especially since it is about the Stepford Cuckoos, a set of characters who are creepy as hell, but fairly dull to read about. I don't want to give anything away, but can you tell a story like this with three characters you can't tell apart?

The last panel was a real throwback to the first few of Endsong--either a cop out or a homage, I can't decide which!

The art is nowhere near as beautiful as Endsong's was, but that was a pretty tough act to follow. Tyler Kirkman is very good though and gives it a grittier feel which fits the darker story, rather than the unabashedly romantic plot of Endsong. Somehow I am always geekishly thrilled when a Tomb Raider artist moves to bigger and better things. :)
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Flumm on Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:51 am

Mmm, after being at the month long whim of amazon, I have a stockpile of TPB's and graphic novels finally lurching their way through my letterbox at the moment, probably enough to last me till the end of the year I imagine, so I thought I'd put a couple of first impressions onto paper before I get stuck in and it all becomes a sticky fingered, technicolor haze...

The list is a little of this and a little of that, perhaps a ways away from the superhero thing, yet overall, the things that made this cut represent trying to get a balance of rewarding material overall, whether it be for teh eyes, the heart, or the brain, be it long overdue recommendations of Zoners, or being comicbook shop deprived, just following my own instincts really...

* 1 of: Planetary : All Over the World and Other Stories
* Y: The Last Man: Unmanned
* We3
* Blankets
* Preacher: Gone to Texas

** Scott Pilgrim: Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life v. 1
Fables: Legends in Exile
Astro City: Life in the Big City
You Are Here
100 Bullets: First Shot, Last Call (100 Bullets)
Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth
David Boring
DMZ: On the Ground
The Quitter
Krazy and Ignatz: The Komplete Kat Komics 1925 and 1926
Godland Volume 1: Hello, Cosmic!
Rocketo Volume 1: The Journey To The Hidden Sea

* Still Lurching

** Sigh, 'tis so strange to see bluebottles little face actually in my hands, staring back up at me *** :shock: :roll:

*** Leave it be, chile, leave it be...

I'm still working through a novel, so I've prevented myself from jumping into the deep end so to speak, and in turn, the first I've had some time to spend with so far are Rocketo and Godland...

I'll sketch in some details, images and linkyness out of general principle, but I'll assume you know more than I do, and I'll work on just being able to best divulge my divulgables...

Rocketo

On first impressions... well, I am most mightily impressed, it's almost impossible not to be, really. It's all about the art, front and center. Framed in silky widescreen pages, everything about the book is designed to be bold, vivid and with a sweepingly, vicerall, old school charasma.

Expressionistic from first to last, images are built of free flowing layers, often built on color, contrast and shadow more than line, and it all feels loose and liquid, yet bound together enough to feel whole, to make you want to hesitate, to linger at panels and to let the simple, perfectly chosen chaos of it all lap at your eyeballs some.

Not a neccasary one, but a nice starting point for a comic book I think.

The introductory episode "0", is brief, expanded apon here of an exhibitionary piece by Eisner nominated creator Espinosa, and it does it's duty. A simple, if unremarkable little tale, with a neat finish or so, but altogether a little in debt to the images at such an early stage...

I'm most looking forward to seeing if the writing is as strong, if the story lives up to the expression it's been given, the textures as bold in concept aswell as form, if so, if there's richer treasures to find beneath the colourscapes, the characters start striking the grace notes between teh chords, I'll be sure let you know when I find it...

Interview with Frank Espinosa, a little spoilerish here and there, but to give you a healthy feeling of the art work if you haven't seen it already, it is very much worth a looksee... HERE
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:35 am

The early reviews are in for Pride of Baghdad and boy are they ever positive. This one suggests that PoB ranks up there with Watchmen, Maus, and the Dark Knight Returns as one of the greatest GN's of ALL TIME.

Newsarama says that "Pride Of Baghdad is absolutely one of the best graphic novels I've ever read. No one has ever used that format better than this book" You can read that review right here.

I simply can't WAIT for this to arrive.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:00 am

That IGN review is very good. The Newsarama review is a little over the top, but I think we can assure ourselves that PoB is going to be a little bit special.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby silentbobafett on Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:07 am

Whats different between TPB and GN? Nothing, or what? :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:27 pm

TPB normally refers to a Trade PaperBack collection of previously published material, such as a story that ran in serialized form -- all of these collections of X-Men, Hellblazer and so forth. Graphic novels can be collections of previously published material that was intended to tell a stand-alone story (such as Watchmen) or Original Graphic Novels published in that form (Neil Gaiman's Mr. Punch, for instance).
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:08 pm

re-post from the I heart BKV thread. IGNORE ME!!!

I’m a sucker for anthropomorphism in fiction, particularly those of the allegorical and/or fable variety... “Animal Farmâ€
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby silentbobafett on Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:30 am

Thanks DennisMM
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby silentbobafett on Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:32 am

Okay now - amongst my comics this week I picked up Issue 1 of Union Jack

WTF? I was so mega dissapointed! One of the biggest let downs I've ever had! The biggest in recent times!

Just found it so dull and boring - and while I never find comic art crap, it certainly didn't add anything or jump off the page.

Being from the UK I was looking forward to a superhero just up the road! But damn... what a load of...

The only good bit was the very last page! Which I then hated cos I made me consider getting issue 2! I'll let you know if it grows on me, but at the mometn, unles syou are a Union Jack completist, avoid - you've seen it all a million times before. THey just kidded themselves they were being fresh!

Shame... :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:38 pm

I recently picked up the first issue of X-Factor by Peter David. I just read it and OH MY GOD was it awesome. Such a bad ass beginning. I can't wait to pick up some more of these back issues. This is shaping up to be one of the better X books out there...I would honestly put issue #1 up there with any of Whedon's Astonishing X-Men single issues.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby silentbobafett on Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:24 am

I have recently got Star Wars KNights of the Old Repbulic and LEgacy

Due to being broke I missed issue 1 and 2 of Legacy and 2 to 4 of KotOR! I just want to say what a bastard Dark Horse are for not doing reprints etc

I can't find them anywhere, not on ebay or anything. I don't want to jump into the middle of a story arc or anything!

This is just a rant really, but if anyone knows of a site inthe UK where picking up comics is good and easy - let me know. I find online comic stores in the UK are a pain. Hey, maybe that should be a new thread?

:-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:55 am

I finally got around to reading The Authority. I only got through the first trade (collecting issues #1-4) and I was very impressed. I obviously missed a lot of backstory by not reading Stormwatch (the death of the first Doctor and Engineer...etc) but it really didn't hinder my experience. I love how The Authority just jumped headlong into the fire. Lots of action, a huge global threat, and a badass group of heroes.

The Midnighter and Hawksmoor are by far my favorite charcters.

Ellis + Hitch = Homerun. I simply can't wait to continue reading this series.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:12 am

Leckomaniac wrote:I finally got around to reading The Authority. I only got through the first trade (collecting issues #1-4) and I was very impressed. I obviously missed a lot of backstory by not reading Stormwatch (the death of the first Doctor and Engineer...etc) but it really didn't hinder my experience. I love how The Authority just jumped headlong into the fire. Lots of action, a huge global threat, and a badass group of heroes.

The Midnighter and Hawksmoor are by far my favorite charcters.

Ellis + Hitch = Homerun. I simply can't wait to continue reading this series.

Glad you started reading The Authority, Hitch really hit it out of the park didn't he?

All superhero team books have to weigh up to Ellis's Authority. It's my benchmark, for me there is nothing better.

You should try out the Ellis Stormwatch trades, some good stuff in there too.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:48 am

Just got through:

Desolation Jones - Brilliant, I love Williams's art and Ellis is at the top of his game.

Scott Pilgrim Vol. 3 - Rating: 100% awesome!

The Eternals #4 - That's it? The story begins to unravel here, and it's pretty easy to figure that the eternals will be fighting a giant monster for the next couple of issues. I'm not very impressed given that it's a Gaiman book.

Escapists #4 - This is still a very cool series. They should give it some kind of award.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby doglips on Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:09 am

Pacino86845 wrote:Just got through:

Desolation Jones - Brilliant, I love Williams's art and Ellis is at the top of his game.

The Eternals #4 - That's it? The story begins to unravel here, and it's pretty easy to figure that the eternals will be fighting a giant monster for the next couple of issues. I'm not very impressed given that it's a Gaiman book.

Escapists #4 - This is still a very cool series. They should give it some kind of award.

Was that the Desolation Jones trade? I want to get that badly.

Agreed on Eternals, the whole backstory as relaid by Sprite was unnecessarily confusing and ultimately, pretty weak. It seems that Gaiman has been rushed into an ending, pity, this book started off so well. At least we can hope that the celestial battle is badass, fingers crossed.

I have yet to get Escapists 4. Just started on the Chris Ware covered Amazing Adventures of the Escapist Vol 1, from Dark Horse - seems very good.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:18 am

thedoglippedone wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote: Just got through:

Agreed on Eternals, the whole backstory as relaid by Sprite was unnecessarily confusing and ultimately, pretty weak. It seems that Gaiman has been rushed into an ending, pity, this book started off so well. At least we can hope that the celestial battle is badass, fingers crossed.

I have yet to get Escapists 4. Just started on the Chris Ware covered Amazing Adventures of the Escapist Vol 1, from Dark Horse - seems very good.

Yeah, it's the trade. I picked it up solely on the strength of Dennis's AV and sig, and the fact that he has been quoting from it a couple of times... it's totally worth it. At 9.50 pounds sterling (what I paid) it's a little steep but there's a lot to love in the book, and it takes longer to read than upon first glance.

I agree about Sprite in Eternals... I almost vomited at how hammy that was. Whatever, Romita's big monster fight will be cool to see and Gaiman may have a surprise or two for us yet.

I also finished up Sam Kieth's Batman: Secrets... it was ok, but not spectacular.

Also finished up Batman: Jeckyll and Hyde... I started that miniseries mainly for Jae Lee's artwork, and he delivered. The story is fairly solid, a little more than ok but not spectacular. Sadly, Jae Lee only illustrated the first three issues. The last three issues were done by a guy whose art can at best be described as a cheap knockoff of Jae Lee's. It's not bad really, but I couldn't shake the feeling that they couldn't afford Lee for the whole series (or maybe he didn't want to do it, the inconsistent bastard).
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby doglips on Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:51 am

silentbobafett wrote:I have recently got Star Wars KNights of the Old Repbulic and LEgacy

Due to being broke I missed issue 1 and 2 of Legacy and 2 to 4 of KotOR! I just want to say what a bastard Dark Horse are for not doing reprints etc

I can't find them anywhere, not on ebay or anything. I don't want to jump into the middle of a story arc or anything!

This is just a rant really, but if anyone knows of a site inthe UK where picking up comics is good and easy - let me know. I find online comic stores in the UK are a pain. Hey, maybe that should be a new thread?

:-)

Have you got Legacy 1 & 2 yet?

I have 0, 1 & 2, which you are welcome to have. I can't get round the artwork, really not my cup of tea and I find myself not caring for any of the characters. So they will be better off going to a good home. PM me if you want them, small charge + postage.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby silentbobafett on Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:40 am

Dog: Thank you very much for the offer! I have since tracked them all down! Sad to hear that you don't like them! I'm really into them!

Thanks once again! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby doglips on Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:52 am

No probs, SBF. Oh well, they'll do for Nov 5th :twisted:

Not really. I thought the premise was OK, but the artwork really put me off.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby silentbobafett on Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:48 am

BULLET POINTS ISSUE 1

Review: Good. Interesting

MAJOR FUCKING SPOILERS:

Would it be right that Peter Parker be a teen jsut after World War 2?

Is that him becoming the Hulk at the end? :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:45 am

Pacino86845 wrote:
thedoglippedone wrote:

Yeah, it's the trade. I picked it up solely on the strength of Dennis's AV and sig, and the fact that he has been quoting from it a couple of times... it's totally worth it. At 9.50 pounds sterling (what I paid) it's a little steep but there's a lot to love in the book, and it takes longer to read than upon first glance.

9.50 sterling? I'm not sure exactly how that translates, but it sounds pretty steep. The second volume is going to be quite different. Williams has gone off to draw something mainstream for DC (I believe) and the new artist, while interesting, is murky. On top of that they've colored it darkly and with lots of single-tone panels (and even pages) so only hairstyles and dialogue indicate who is whom.

My favorite moment from v. 1, which I couldn't get to work as my avatar, is a panel of Jones talking to the porn performer. He's hallucinating and we get a harsh B&W closeup with the balloon, "Brain, stop fucking with me." I may need to use the shot anyway and make that my rank.
DennisMM

Postby DennisMM on Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:48 am

silentbobafett wrote:BULLET POINTS ISSUE 1

Review: Good. Interesting

MAJOR FUCKING SPOILERS:

Would it be right that Peter Parker be a teen jsut after World War 2?

Is that him becoming the Hulk at the end? :-)

It's a What If?, so they can do as they please. It never made much sense to me that Peter's parents would have been in their mid-to-late twenties when he was born but Ben and May had to have been around 50.

Peter either will be the Hulk or Rick Jones. Not sure at this point.
DennisMM

Postby Lady Sheridan on Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:04 pm

I just got done reading a massive collection of Wolverine: Enemy of the State and Agent of SHIELD. I liked that whole run, it was enjoyable and now I want to read more of Elektra--any recommendations?

As a bonus(?) they included "Prisoner Number Zero."

This has to be the grossest Wolverine story I've ever read. For those of you who have never read it, it takes place in the Sobibor death camp, and gosh darn it, they just can't seem to kill him off! No story as to why he's there or why he doesn't escape, it was just an excuse to describe what fucked up ways they tried to kill him. While I find a pre-adamantium Wolverine to be rather interesting, it really unsettled me and for no good reason. Not only do I find it vaguely offensive (Where can we stick Wolverine--oh yeah, the Holocaust!) but it was just so utterly pointless and unbelievable. Healing factor or not, how does Wolverine survive beheading? Or being burned alive in an oven? :roll:
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:39 am

DennisMM wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:
thedoglippedone wrote:

9.50 sterling? I'm not sure exactly how that translates, but it sounds pretty steep. The second volume is going to be quite different. Williams has gone off to draw something mainstream for DC (I believe) and the new artist, while interesting, is murky. On top of that they've colored it darkly and with lots of single-tone panels (and even pages) so only hairstyles and dialogue indicate who is whom.

My favorite moment from v. 1, which I couldn't get to work as my avatar, is a panel of Jones talking to the porn performer. He's hallucinating and we get a harsh B&W closeup with the balloon, "Brain, stop fucking with me." I may need to use the shot anyway and make that my rank.

According to xe.com, I paid about 18 USD for it... still worth it though, but comics in general do tend to be pricier out here than in North America.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Lady Sheridan on Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:41 am

I finished the 6 part Wolverine "Origins" yesterday. I feel kind of bad for hating on it so much as it wasn't *as* bad as I thought, even if was a bit of a Victorian melodrama for a Wolverine comic.

My biggest problem was the deliberate red-herrings and bad writing--or should I say, bad panels? As a novel, this would have worked fine. You wouldn't have had a *picture* of young Dog or groundskeeper Logan being exact duplicates of Wolverine. You would have just been left to wonder and the surprise of a sickly James popping out a set of claws would have been an acceptable twist. But when you're drawing things a certain way to try and fool your audience, that's just sloppy. Hinting is one thing, deliberately leading a reader on visually is another.

Clearly, no one edited this properly so that Wolverine's parentage was resolved. He can't have two fathers. So why on earth do they give Grandpa Howlett claws, but the physical resemblence to groundskeeper Logan? This would have been so damn easy to resolve if Grandpa had been Elizabeth Howlett's father rather than John's...presto! Plus you would have had the eerie twist of wondering if Elizabeth had been abused by her own father, thus bearing that ugly scar. It really ruined the whole run for me. It was so obviously an attempt to create further "mystery" but instead unraveled the whole story.

Cest'la vie. If only someone could just go back and fix that one stupid panel, I would be fine with Origins.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby silentbobafett on Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:15 am

Finished Book 1 of DMZ last night! WOW FUCKING WOW! A new high ranking in my collection!

Not what I tought at all! Just fucking wonderful stuff!!!! Brilliant! How many books of this out there are there? And a great price to!!! £6.99 for volume 1! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby doglips on Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:25 am

Just that trade at the moment, the actual book has just reached issue 13. You can get them all off E-Bay.

The next arc looks to be the best yet.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby silentbobafett on Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:29 am

I really way blown away! Loved it! How many issues in book 1 - I'm guessing six! So there must be a trade round the corner? I'd like to get the comics but for space reasons I might not. Plus certain comics, like Walking Dead and Y:The Last Man, comics that I am shit hole loopy for, I like to get in trades anyway! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby unikrunk on Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:34 am

Buying comics is, for me, like buying porn (yes, you had to buy it before teh internets); I know what I am looking for, and don't appreciate my shame being broadcasted by a clerk asking me what I am into, and making suggestions. Its just me, it’s my thing, my problem, but still, I don't like it.

So, when in my local record/comic store two days ago the comic guy was just all over me, asking me first if I thought the new layout and display of GN made sense to me, and moving on to the inevitable 'who do you read'. Rather than shunning him, I pulled together the courage, and told him 'You know, the typical stuff; Moore, Tony Millionaire, a little Miller, and I really dug Superman for all Seasons and The Long Halloween'.

It paid off. Comic book guy is good.

He goes behind his counter, and pulls out the secret, un-shelved stash, and puts, silently and knowingly into my hands three books. Hulk Gray, Spiderman Blue, and Dare Devil Yellow.

These books are fantastic. They are Loeb and Sale's 'year one' stories for these characters, and each book is fucking beautiful, my favorite of the bunch being Hulk Gray.

Terrific writing, great art, and just a fun read. So much so that I came home from work early yesterday to read Spiderman Blue.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chilli on Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:43 am

I'll have to review that League of Extroadinary Gentlemen issue I have. Sums up my Alan Moore perspective quite well.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:55 pm

I found an outstanding review of All-Star Superman #6, which goes into detail about a couple of the larger themes behind Grant Morrison's modern masterpiece.

The review is from SBC.com and will be posted below.

[quote]Initially, I was going to give All-Star Superman #6 a rating of four bullets (as I would have also given the previous five issues had I reviewed them). Each individual issue is an “above average comic, well worth your time to pick up and save for future readingsâ€
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:14 am

I just finished reading through issue #30 of Walking Dead.

This book is almost TOO good. I mean it. It is so incredible that I am not sure I can continue reading it. The Governor is just too brutal. It is breaking my heart. I am not sure I can take much more of this.

Robert Kirkman might have crafted one of the best examinations of the horrors that men do. Its one hell of a study of the human condition. It might just be too good.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:23 am

Leckomaniac wrote:This book is almost TOO good. I mean it. It is so incredible that I am not sure I can continue reading it. The Governor is just too brutal. It is breaking my heart. I am not sure I can take much more of this.

you can, and you WILL!

'cuz...

Leckomaniac wrote:Robert Kirkman might have crafted one of the best examinations of the horrors that men do. Its one hell of a study of the human condition. It might just be too good.

it gets worse.

far, far worse.

I didn't think the K-Man had it in him to shock me after the initial twist in Invincible, but the bloodletting that occurs in one of the upcoming issues of The Walking Dead will be more than you can take...

and then some.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:16 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:I finished the 6 part Wolverine "Origins" yesterday. I feel kind of bad for hating on it so much as it wasn't *as* bad as I thought, even if was a bit of a Victorian melodrama for a Wolverine comic.

Please take into account that it cost you a buck :wink:

I agree strongly with your points.
DennisMM

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:24 am

My experience with the Hellblazer universe is quite limited. I have read the first 10 or so issues of the comic and I saw the Constantine movie (granted that is loosely based on the comic at best). I had a pretty decent understanding of who the character was, but nothing rock solid. So it was that I came into possession of two Hellblazer trades courtesy of Dennis.

Hellblazer: Haunted - One of the things that really stood out to me about the Delano issues I read was the imagery. He loved to paint a grim picture of London using vulgar metaphors. I am not sure how it is with subsequent writers, but it is obvious that Ellis really loves doing this as well. This book is laced with inner monolgue's that detail the grim goings-on of London. Some of them work, some don't. That is basically the overall feeling I had with this arc. Some things worked and some didn't. There really isn't very much to the story. Someone brutally killed one of Constantine's ex-girlfriends and he is pretty pissed. He uses some connections to rattle some cages and track down who did it. That takes him all of about 1 1/2 issues to do. This is a very intimate story...There is no real danger or threat or even suspense. Its just a story about the evil that men can do. Some of the best stuff in the issue is the exchanges Constantine has with a very decrepit woman. They really work well to flesh out the character of Constantine. One of the things that really bugged me were the numerous things that Ellis planted to show us how ugly the city was. Dead dogs, bloody baby toys, baby ghots in the water, a guy getting mugged/stabbed, etc. Combine this with the constant grimm monoluge and it feels as though the reader is being hammered on top of the head. We get is Warren...people can do evil things. Overall - 2.5/5

Hellblazer: Good Intentions - I really enjoy Brian Azzarello as a writer. I find that he has a pretty good understanding of human complexities and emotions. His work on 100 Bullets has shown me that. He is a very intense guy. I obviously missed some stuff inbetween Haunted and this story. Constantine went to prison, it appears, and has gotten out. The first issue in this story is great. I love how it is essentially a self-contained story, but at the same time moves the larger story along. I just love that first issue. It really got me pumped for what was to come. The second issue isn't as good as the first, but it IS good. Some funny dialogue in there...but I was really struck by how dumb Constantine was. I mean seriously...how did he not see that coming? Regardless, still a really solid issue with some great character moments. The wheels fall off in the third issue. It was absolutely dreadful. Constantine as a punk rawker? Ha! All of the character stuff drops in quality too. Its just sloppy. The good news is that the story kind of picks up as it ends. The exchange between John and Rose is some good stuff. The story about the town is pretty solid as well. I just think that the middle part of the story could have been beefed up. I mean that pile of poop/baby? The bore/monster? Ugh. I also wasn't wild about the art. It was just so cartoon-y. That bright red hair and what not. This was a story that had potential. Overall, 3/5. Warts and all.

Thanks go out to Dennis for being kind enough to send me these. I can't really complain since I get two trades for $5. This got me knee deep into the Hellblazer world and I am looking forward to seeking out some more trades.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:50 am

Identity Crisis - I have a very vivid memory of Identity Crisis. When I first walked into my LCS I browsed a while for something that caught my eye. Up until that point I would pick up an the ocassional TPB or GN from the bookstore. I loved superheroes, but I never thought of buying monthly comics before. When I decided I wanted to dive into comics head first...well it just happened to coincide with Identity Crisis. So as I browsed my LCS I struck up a conversation with the guy who was working there. I told him my tale and he pointed out issue #1 of IC and said "Its the big DC event at the moment. You should pick it up". I did. It blew me away. I didn't realize that comic books could be THIS. As I said before...I loved superheroes. I grew up with Batman TAS, Superman TAS, X-Men TAS, Spider-Man TAS, the Batman movies, the Superman movies...they all captivated me. But this was something entirely different. This was...ADULT. I mean rape? murder? mental lobotomies? These weren't the superhero stories of my youth.

So the other day I decided to revisit the story that essentially got me into comic books. I have a rather large collection now and I've read as many stories as I could get my hands on. From Gaiman to Moore...from Waid to Loeb...I know all the names and I have a decent grasp on the history. I know a lot of people have a problem with the two IC's...and the dark tone that the DCU has maintained...but I really don't care. This story is classic. It pulls at the heartstrings...it has incredible art...incredible pacing...and some really personal moments. This is the perfect example of what writers from other mediums can bring to comics. Meltzer is CLEARLY a murder-mystery novelist. That is incredibly clear from the very start of the story. The thing is...Meltzer also has a deep affection and understanding for the JLA and their history. This isn't just a writer from another medium dabbling in comics...this is a guy that loves comics and the characters. It practically oozes from the pages. Furthermore, he knows them. He knows their relationships and their personalities. I think that is what I like the most about this story. There are some awesome character moments here. Each issue has several of them. The funeral, Ollie and Deathstroke, Wally's optimism, Firestorm's heroism, Tim and his father, Bruce and Tim...I could go on naming them...but you get the picture. I know a lot of people didn't like the reveal of the killer, but I didn't mind it in the least. I thought Meltzer did a great job of spelling out the fact that...in th end...humans can do horrible things to each other. People do desperate things. Her motives made sense to me. In the end, this is a story about family. A simple premise, but executed in superb fashion. The last few pages of the epilogue will break your heart. Kudos Mr. Meltzer. Overall, 5/5.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:51 am

The American Way -
John Ridley -words/ Georges Jeanty - pencils

This is what comics should be.

Set in '61, Ridley is not pulling any punches dealing with the madness of the Red Scare or the outright racism of the time.

Telling the story through the gaze of an automobile marketing man is a brilliant turn, and gives a lot of weight to the story. Keeping up the facade of a strong America is his new job, and he is damn good at it; better than the 'heroes' he is forced to work with.

Shit, I can’t really review this without spoiling the hell out of it, so go buy it, read it, and think about it.

You will not be disappointed.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Silent Shout on Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:48 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:
This book is almost TOO good. I mean it. It is so incredible that I am not sure I can continue reading it. The Governor is just too brutal. It is breaking my heart. I am not sure I can take much more of this.

you can, and you WILL!

'cuz...

Leckomaniac wrote:Robert Kirkman might have crafted one of the best examinations of the horrors that men do. Its one hell of a study of the human condition. It might just be too good.

it gets worse.

far, far worse.

I didn't think the K-Man had it in him to shock me after the initial twist in Invincible, but the bloodletting that occurs in one of the upcoming issues of The Walking Dead will be more than you can take...

and then some.

Wowza, I'm really looking forward to TPB 6 even more than I already was after reading this. Only a week and a half away now. Walking Dead is the series that almost single-handedly got me back into comics.
I just want your music tonight
Silent Shout
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Lady Sheridan on Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:01 pm

Finally finished Warsong--I think the final issue has been sitting on my bedside table for a month.

Disappointing. Certainly no Endsong--at least that was unabashedly romantic, this was just sort of...meh. I knew making a story around the Cuckoos was a bad idea.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby DDMAN26 on Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:32 pm

I picked up the first TPB of Fables. It really does live up to it's hype. I can't wait to read the rest, great stuff so far.
DDMAN26
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:41 pm

DDMAN26 wrote:I picked up the first TPB of Fables. It really does live up to it's hype. I can't wait to read the rest, great stuff so far.

Ain't that the truth. Fables is the closest thing we have at the moment to the sort of fantasy epic that was Sandman.

The universe is just so rich and the characters are so developed.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Silent Shout on Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:07 pm

Why the hell did I buy this? I really, really, really should have known better. This had to be one of the worst things I've read in ages, certainly the worst comic I've read since I was a kid. Everything about this is terrible, the story is unbelievably flawed, the Aliens are completely tacked on, it seems as if the author had never read a Batman story before as everything about him is out of character, no one is likeable, nothing is believable, etc, etc, etc.

Apparently 4 things you like individually together makes 1 thing you absolutely hate. Do NOT buy or read this. I hate the fact that I did on a whim. I hate myself for not putting it down after the first 5 pages. I want to fight Mark Shultz and Ariel Olivetti for writing this and DC and Dark Horse for publishing it. May God have no mercy on any of their souls.
I just want your music tonight
Silent Shout
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:22 pm

picked up what?
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby unikrunk on Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:14 am

Ultimates 2 vol 1-2

The ‘Ultimate’ universe is like a bitch Goddess; she gives with the same hand that she takes away with. For example, Ultimate Avengers is great, where Ultimate Spiderman left me dry as a bucket of sand.
Ultimate Fantastic Four was kind of in the middle somewhere, it had its good points, but a lot of dumb crap as well. Mr. Fantastic, for example, was crap.

I am happy to tell you that the Ultimates 2 vol 1-2 are great books, with a few minor hiccups along the way. I am not going to get into spoiler territory here, as I feel all my zomies should discover these two themselves.

I will say this – great writing, fantastic art, I laughed out loud a few times (but it was good, because what I was reading was supposed to be funny), and uttered the magic words ‘Holy Fuck’, and ‘Oh my fucking God’ at least 15 times in reading these two books. They are not pulling any punches, literally. Okay here is one spoiler for ya; the Hulk ripping off Abomination’s arm, beating him with it, then punching through his head. Yes, a nice rendition of the Hulk’s fist smashing through Abomination’s head. Dead. Went something like this:

The entire Thor story line was fantastic, as well as the Pym / Janet / Cap stuff. Also, vol 2 contains the largest fold-out splash page my eyes have ever fallen upon – 8 pages. Yes, 8 pages of one drawing, and it is the proverbial ‘shit’ my friends; I must have spent no less than 30 minutes looking at this alone.

Suits, if you are thinking about an Avengers movie, pick up these books and follow along with the rest of the class. These books are story boards – you don’t need anything but a cast and a camera.

10 out of 10 thumbs up on the unikrunk scale of goodness.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:34 pm

So anyone watch Art School Confidential and feel totally underwhelmed afterward?

The Plain Janes might fill up any holes that movie left -

It was the first release for the new DC MINX imprint and while aimed at teenage girls, should not be overlooked .

When Jane is hurt in a terrorist attack, her parents insist they leave Metro City and move to the suburban safety of Kent Waters. Jane hates the town, and finds no beauty in the cookie-cutter buildings or her fellow students at the local high school. That is, until she finds the unique "Janes": drama geek Jane, brainy Jayne, and sport loving Polly Jane. Together they form People Loving Art In Neighborhoods-P.L.A.I.N.-and begin a campaign of vigilante art attacks around town, acting under the cloak of night.

There's a nice little subplot of a bedside/one sided pen pal romance, that Jane thinks she is having with an unknown male survivor of the blast, who is in a coma - some excellent writing goes into that relationship.

I'm not familiar with Cecil Casellucci's work as a teen novelist, but I'll gladly read any other comic's she cares to write, this is a great little story. Beautiful art from Jim Rugg that gives the whole book a real indie cinema feel - think Love And Rockets or Ghost World ( more Clowes comparisons... )

The whole book is enchanting and I couldn't help think all the way through that this is what I was expecting from Art School Confidential and that's praise enough really.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:45 am

Written by Jason Aaron
Art by Cameron Stewart

The Other Side is a stunning descent into the horrors of war. Told from dual perspectives, Jason Aaron succeeds in crafting two universal stories that both feel realisticly frightening. Aaron has quite the lineage when you consider that his cousin wrote the book that eventually became the basis for Full Metal Jacket. Vietnam apparently is a major part of that family.

The real strength of The Other Side is the dual perspective storytelling. By showcasing the similarities between the Vietnamese soldier and the American soldier, The Other Side seperates itself from the myriad of Vietnam stories that are available. Furthermore, Aaron utilizes the best qualities of the comic book medium by inserting some bizarre supernatural elements to the story...which further seperates it from other war stories.

Which brings me to the art. I can't say enough about Cameron Stewart's work on this title. He delivers on so many levels with this book. From his covers to the interiors. Everything about Aaron's scripts is made that much better because of Stewart's art. The creepy zombie/ghost soldiers, the fear the he injects into the faces of the characters. I could go on, but suffice it to say that Cameron Sewart delivers the goods in The Other Side...which is what elevates the story from very good to absolutely excellent. By far, this is the best mini-series of the year. An absolute must have. This book is going to make Aaron and Stewart stars.

P.S. A special thanks to Doglips who was so passionate about this book when it first came out that it motivated me to check it out. So glad that I did.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Books