80's Comedy Face-off - Round Two: Chevy Chase

Discuss all the finest actors, living or dead -- their films, their talents, and their weird, drug-related escapades.

The 90's never happened - he was funniest in:

Caddyshack
22%
National Lampoon's Vacation
35%
Fletch
16%
National Lampoon's European Vacation
5%
Spies Like Us
8%
The Three Amigos
5%
Fletch Lives!
3%
National Lampoons's Christmas Vacation
5%

Total votes : 37

80's Comedy Face-off - Round Two: Chevy Chase

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:17 am

With the voting well and truly underway for Round One, time to bring a new player into the mix.

And here we have the outside contender, Chevy Chase. Out of the four actors I've picked, his is the more embarrassing filmography outside of the 80's - and its the thinnest within.

And yet, this is the guy that held his own with all the greats during SNL's heyday - often armed with nothing more than the pratfall as a comedic device. It might not have dated too well, but back in the day this guy was funny with a capital 'F'.

His was the central turn in CADDYSHACK - his turn as FLETCH pleased as many cinemagoers as it did revile fans of the books - and he was arguably the funniest of THE THREE AMIGOS.

For me personally, even if the only film he had made in the 80's had been NATIONAL LAMPOON'S VACATION, I'd still have put him in this 4-way - that film cracks me up every single time I watch it - to the point where even now, travelling to a theme park, I have to announce the first time I see the exit marked on a roadsign (not to mention insist on a slow-mo race to the gates).

Your votes, gentlemen please...
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: 80's Comedy Face-off - Round Two: Chevy Chase

Postby Wiccan Woman on Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:39 am

Doc Holliday wrote:With the voting well and truly underway for Round One, time to bring a new player into the mix.

And here we have the outside contender, Chevy Chase. Out of the four actors I've picked, his is the more embarrassing filmography outside of the 80's - and its the thinnest within.

And yet, this is the guy that held his own with all the greats during SNL's heyday - often armed with nothing more than the pratfall as a comedic device. It might not have dated too well, but back in the day this guy was funny with a capital 'F'.

His was the central turn in CADDYSHACK - his turn as FLETCH pleased as many cinemagoers as it did revile fans of the books - and he was arguably the funniest of THE THREE AMIGOS.

For me personally, even if the only film he had made in the 80's had been NATIONAL LAMPOON'S VACATION, I'd still have put him in this 4-way - that film cracks me up every single time I watch it - to the point where even now, travelling to a theme park, I have to announce the first time I see the exit marked on a roadsign (not to mention insist on a slow-mo race to the gates).

Your votes, gentlemen please...

Sexism in TZ, Doc? I'm voting just to spite you. :lol:

You forgot Oh Heavenly Dog, btw. I know, it was just CC's voice with Benji's adorable little face, but it amused me.
Left behind
Wiccan Woman
AIRWOLF

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:40 am

In Teh Zone, 'gentlemen' need not be a gender-specific term WW :lol:
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Wiccan Woman on Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:41 am

Doc Holliday wrote:In Teh Zone, 'gentlemen' need not be a gender-specific term WW :lol:

:oops: My bad.

Just don't call me studly, and I'm satisfied. :wink:
Left behind
Wiccan Woman
AIRWOLF

Postby magicmonkey on Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:41 am

Not a question! When a man utters;

"you are all gonna have so much fucking fun you are gonna be whistling zi-pe-de-fucking-do-da out of your fucking assholes".

National Lampoons Vacation.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:59 am

magicmonkey wrote:Not a question! When a man utters;

"you are all gonna have so much fucking fun you are gonna be whistling zi-pe-de-fucking-do-da out of your fucking assholes".

National Lampoons Vacation.

Quite possibly, along with the rent-a-car rant in Planes, Trains & Automobiles, the funniest venting of spleen I've ever seen in a movie :lol:
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:20 am

See that one vote for Fletch Lives? That's mine.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:25 am

How about that Paul Simon video he appeared in? Especially when they stood side by side? Talk about Little and Large.......

To be honest, I've only ever seen him in National Lampoons Vacation in which he was funny. But what did happen to his movie career, especially over the past 15 or so years? (ditto Dan Ackroyd and Charles Grodin who had the rare distinction, I think, of out acting DeNiro in the brilliant Midnight Run).
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:28 am

Caddyshack all the way. Although, its possible that the ensemble of Caddyshack sways my vote...but regardless. Chase was hilarious in that...just because he wasn't the funniest character doesn't mean he wasn't at his funniest.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:31 am

Caddyshack. It could be any of them - Fletch is a little weak and uneven, and the Three Amigos recycles alot of silent movie-era visual gags, but they're all among his best. Today it's Caddyshack.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:31 am

HollywoodBabylon wrote:How about that Paul Simon video he appeared in? Especially when they stood side by side? Talk about Little and Large.......

To be honest, I've only ever seen him in National Lampoons Vacation in which he was funny. But what did happen to his movie career, especially over the past 15 or so years? (ditto Dan Ackroyd and Charles Grodin who had the rare distinction, I think, of out acting DeNiro in the brilliant Midnight Run).

I think the rot had already set in at this point, bu FUNNY FARM was the first flick of his that I saw and thought "Oh. Oh dear."

@Tony: "Ben Dover? Hi Ben, pleased to meet you....."

:lol:
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby WinslowLeach on Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:31 am

Had to go with Vacation. Thats always been my fave Chevy film. Three Amigos def would be my second pick. That movie simply rules.

"ITS A SWEATER!!"
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:32 am

NL Vacation all the way!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby John-Locke on Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:37 am

I'm a big fan of all these films, I agree with Doc that he's the funniest in The Three Amigos and I love that film dearly.

Got to be Vacation though, I must have seen that film 30 times and it never ever even for a moment gets tired, for my money it's one of the funniest films ever made.

I also greatly prefer Christmas Vacation to European Vacation, why isn't that on the poll? Funny Farm has some funny moments too "Yellow dog? You want Yellow dog?"

I didn't like it at the time but Memoirs of an Invisible Man is pretty good too, it's funny in places but not massively, it's like a comedy thriller.

Lets also not forget his great little turn in Dirty Work, his scenes are some of the funniest in what is already a hilarious film.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby tapehead on Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:41 am

will the other two be Martin and Murray? or Eddie Murphy?
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:45 am

I'm keeping it to films they did in the 80's (though I see Xmas Vacation was in 1989 so that should be added, if any Mod felt so inclined :oops: )

Its the same reason I ended up going with Hanks over, say Murray - although looking at IMDB I can see Murray did do quite a few comedies in the 80's, back then at that time I wasn't so aware of most of them. Also, a lot of his stuff was cameo stuff (a la Caddyshack). They were funny (in fact he was the best bit about Caddyshack for me) - but I've decided not to allow those films to count for the purposes of this face-off. They need to be starring vehicles - or co-starring at least.
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:57 am

Doc Holliday wrote:
HollywoodBabylon wrote:How about that Paul Simon video he appeared in? Especially when they stood side by side? Talk about Little and Large.......

I think the rot had already set in at this point, bu FUNNY FARM was the first flick of his that I saw and thought "Oh. Oh dear."

@Tony: "Ben Dover? Hi Ben, pleased to meet you....."

:lol:

God, that dialogue is desperate, isn't it? :oops:
Preston Sturges it ain't.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby magicmonkey on Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:29 am

Doc Holliday wrote:I'm keeping it to films they did in the 80's (though I see Xmas Vacation was in 1989 so that should be added, if any Mod felt so inclined :oops: )

Done. The scene in the lingerie department cracks me up, much like it does to Chase.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:51 am

I love all those films on the poll...

Namely Vacation and Xmas Vacation...

Chase could go off on a one-breath rant with the best of them back in the day...

But nothing, will ever be funnier, than Chevy Chase in Felch...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby magicmonkey on Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:54 am

havocSchultz wrote:But nothing, will ever be funnier, than Chevy Chase in Felch...

Should I add that to the poll? I can't seem to find it on IMDB, but...
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby WinslowLeach on Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:55 am

CHEVY CHASE IS: FELTCH! hahahahaha!!
Last edited by WinslowLeach on Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:55 am

magicmonkey wrote:
havocSchultz wrote:But nothing, will ever be funnier, than Chevy Chase in Felch...

I think it would overwhelm the other choices too much...

And I'm sure I have some screen caps here somewhere...I'll send them to you...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby WinslowLeach on Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:56 am

Hav, that AV is teh balm. Ive actually seen Condorman too!! :)
Last edited by WinslowLeach on Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:58 am

havocSchultz wrote:
magicmonkey wrote:

Thanks. Just having a wee look now... WOAH... that's...that's... scientifically possible(teh Balm)? Why's he got a straw...? WTF!! :shock:

:oops:

I feel dirty.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:02 am

WinslowLeach wrote:Hav, that AV is teh bomb. Ive actually seen Condorman too!! :)

Thnx...I love that movie...
I remember my dad having a copy of it on Beta when I was youngling...My brother and I would watch it all the time...Alas...I only vaguely remember it now...it's been too damn long...

magicmonkey wrote:
havocSchultz wrote:
magicmonkey wrote:

Thanks. Just having a wee look now... WOAH... that's...that's... scientifically possible(teh Balm)? Why's he got a straw...? WTF!! :shock:

:oops:

I feel dirty.

Wow...I didn't even make it past the one with the lighter...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby WinslowLeach on Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:04 am

havocSchultz wrote:
WinslowLeach wrote:Hav, that AV is teh bomb. Ive actually seen Condorman too!! :)

Thnx...I love that movie...
I remember my dad having a copy of it on Beta when I was youngling...My brother and I would watch it all the time...Alas...I only vaguely remember it now...it's been too damn long...

I actually first saw it in school when I was around 9 or 10. In 3rd and 4th grade my principal would hold 16mm movie screenings in our auditorium. So I saw Spider Man, Condorman, Escape To Witch Mtn and other various kids movies.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Vegeta on Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:18 pm

I love the rant about his boss in Xmas vacation. Hard to say, must think about this awhile.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Lady Sheridan on Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:56 pm

I went with the first Vacation movie, although it is a close call between it and Christmas Vacation.

Chevy Chase inspires a mix of hilarity and horror for me because he looks eerily like my father...and my dad has gone off, Griswold style, on every family trip and festive holiday.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:51 pm

Such a tough choice, but today I'm going for European Vacation, because that's the one that used to crack me up the most when I was a kid. Stuff like the whole bit with the berets, the dog jumping off the Eiffel Tower, the couple kissing in the restaurant ("he's gonna pork her, dad!") - yeah, that all used to appeal to my prepubescent self in a big way.

If I could watch one nowadays, I'd probably pick Caddyshack or the first Vacation, although I used to love Fletch in my early teens

Have to add to the big-ups for Havoc and his Condorman av - I actually saw that movie in a cinema!

Don't know whether to :lol: or :cry:....
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:43 pm

I love all of those movies...hard to choose...

But I chose Fletch as Chevy's finest.

People like to say that Chevy stopped being funny after the 80's, but it's not like he didn't crank out a fair amount of horseshit before that.

Ever seen Oh, Heavenly Dog? Or Modern Problems? Feh.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Vegeta on Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:56 pm

Had to go with Christmas Vacation! The Jelly of the Month club is still a f!@#ing scream for me!
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby RockyDennis on Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:02 pm

I had to go with Spies Like Us, because it is more of an "eighties" comedy to me. The jokes about Reagan, the hot Russian babes, ninjas, and the training sequence always takes me back to the greatest decade where shows like Not Necesseraly the News ruled the day.

Caddyshack is a far superior movie, but Chevy was way too overshadowed in the flick. European Vacation is a close second
RockyDennis
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby instant_karma on Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:18 pm

Vacation all the way. Just for the dog collar.

Oh, and James Cameron to direct Brad Pitt in Condorman reboot!!!

With Michael Crawford as the villain...
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:18 pm

this thread reminds me of how great chevy chase used to be. talk about a long way down from the top.

hard to choose between vacation and three amigos. vacation may be a "better" film but honestly, amigos makes me laugh more. but chevy is the reason everything in vacation works, so i had to give it to vacation.

i watched funny farm again this weekend. it's not a bad movie at all, in fact it's quite funny in parts.

"folks don't seem to have a taste for testicles these days!"
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Return to Actor Discussion