THE AVENGERS

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

What do you think of the Avengers movie?

10! These geeks eyes wept for joy until they bled
36%
27%
27%
5%
No votes
No votes
5%
No votes
No votes
No votes
0! Stupid Josh Wheldon, are you trying to ruin my life?
No votes
Not seeing it
No votes

Total votes : 22

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:53 am

Informative AND brought the funny. Well done that man. :D
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:58 am

OK, someone give me a reason why I should care for this movie over X2. As someone who only knows the ORIGINAL Avengers. We're getting a Commander USA film already, does the world need two? What is so balls-achingly fantastic, other than the action - which we know in the long run makes no diff, or otherwise people wouldn't shriek so much about X3 and FF - about this fan-chise?

It seems like rather a limited base for a movie outside of people who read and know the comics.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby BuckyO'harre on Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:02 am

There'll have to be a scene of Thor getting his ass kicked eventually?
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:19 am

AtomicHyperbole wrote:It seems like rather a limited base for a movie outside of people who read and know the comics.

I think what they're going for is a launch of a bunch of characters who would be in the Avengers in their own solo projects first. That way when they do make the Avengers film, it would be kind of a big deal because all these pop-culture commodities would be mashed together. That's all dependent on these movies like Iron Man and Captain America and Nick Fury being successful, of course.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby The Garbage Man on Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:47 am

Moriarty wrote:
The Garbage Man wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:Well if he helped provide content for X2 and Hulk he must not be too bad a writer.

He got a "Story by" credit on X2, but who knows how much he actually contributed. Mike Dougherty and Dan Harris actually wrote the thing, so I'd hesitate before giving any credit to Penn.

Also, he's writing The Incredible Hulk (the sequel); he had nothing to do with the first film.

That's actually backwards.

Zak Penn wrote 90% of X2, and it was Harris and Dougherty who came in late to bat clean-up. I read the script before they were on the project, and what you saw in theaters was very much what Penn put on paper first.

Oh.

Well then.

That's the impression I gathered from Singer/Harris/Dougherty et al. in interviews, but then I never read the Penn script.

You pop in once every blue moon and this time it has to be to pwn my ass? :oops:
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby The Ginger Man on Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:16 am

SHH has a quick blurb from Penn (originally posted on Chud)

CHUD got a chance to talk to The Avengers and The Incredible Hulk screenwriter Zak Penn, who revealed a bit more on both. Here's a clip:

"No question the thing that it inspired me was the Ultimates run," Zak told me. "I thought it was brilliant, cinematic, and made me realize that a super hero team didn't have to be goofy. There has been a lot of discussion about whether it will be live action or a next-gen big budget CGI thing, but we've tabled it for awhile while I write the Hulk. I imagine we will make all these decisions next year."

I see this going big-budget CGI, which would let them have Cap, Iron Man, Thor....and not have to cast the big-name actors from the solo films.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Shane on Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:15 am

Ribbons wrote:
AtomicHyperbole wrote:It seems like rather a limited base for a movie outside of people who read and know the comics.

I think what they're going for is a launch of a bunch of characters who would be in the Avengers in their own solo projects first. That way when they do make the Avengers film, it would be kind of a big deal because all these pop-culture commodities would be mashed together. That's all dependent on these movies like Iron Man and Captain America and Nick Fury being successful, of course.

That's what the Comic was in the first place. The point of the team comics like Avengers, Justice Society and Justice league was that we got all these guys in one movie. I think the concept behind the book is a great concept for the movie. We do it with Jason vs Freddy, Aliens vs Preditor, and Even movies like Underworld. Now if they can do the film right, and I think they can then it can be genius. I loved most of the stuff Zack Penn did. Yes I still like X3. Elektra was better than Daredevil, and It was a decent film all around. It was just an audience friendly pg-13 Elektra movie. I would preffer they start dipping into comic writers for these scripts, but oh well.

Let me make my plea early too.....

Joss Whedon Must Direct this!!!!!!

If he doesn't get X4, which seems highly unlikely, I want to see him do a team superhero movie. I think either Avengers or JLA would be grteat for him.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Evil Hobbit on Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:39 am

Is there a Captain America film in the pipeline?
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby anghus on Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:52 pm

file under: things i'll bet will never happen.
anghus
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby anghus on Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:53 pm

file under: things i'll bet will never happen.
anghus
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby The Garbage Man on Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:57 pm

Evil Hobbit wrote:Is there a Captain America film in the pipeline?

Yes.

David Self (Thirteen Days, The Road to Perdition) is writing.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Evil Hobbit on Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:31 pm

The Garbage Man wrote:

Yes.

Cool
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby wheredidigo111 on Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:34 pm

This shity movie idea better not come out. This is all because of that shity movie X3 Marvel thinks sents they can make you buy there comics no matter if the story is good or crap and go to a movie no matter how shity the movie is. they got you pegged that you'll buy anything that has Marvel on it.
wheredidigo111
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Shane on Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:27 am

The Garbage Man wrote:

Yes.

I'd almost rather see Cap spearhead the Avengers in the film, base it around him, and bring him in there and then go to his own movie. That or the first one be a cliffhanger set in the 40's to have him brought back in our time in the avengers film. But they would never do that.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby TheButcher on Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:03 am

It's going to be live action.
http://superherohype.com/news.php?id=4716
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:25 pm

The JLA movie thread got me thinking about this...

Has anyone heard anything new in the past few months? What would be your dream lineup? What lineup do you think is realisitically probable?

I'm coming up with mine now...I'd love Cap, Iron Man, Thor and The Hulk for sure, particularly if the Hulk goes rogue per the comic. I could care less about the Pyms. It'd be fun to add Wolverine or Spidey (both of whom have joined the team from time to time and are currently New Avengers), but there's no way that would ever happen, at least with the current actors, I think. Vision and the Scarlett Witch could be fun. I'm still trying to narrow it down.

Given that Marvel has tried, for the most part, to make "semi-plausible" films, I'm not sure how they are going to do Thor. Make him a mutant?
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:42 pm

As I wrote back when we were first discussing this, I think the best way for this movie to work is as a sequel to the Captain America solo film. Like, establish him doing his own thing, and then the sequel would be about him assembling the Avengers to fight an even bigger threat. Seriously, "Captain America and The Avengers" is a fucking great, pulpy title.

My dream Avengers movie team would be:

Captain America
Iron Man
Thor
Hawkeye
Scarlett Witch
The Vision
Hank Pym (w/ no powers)

The team I think we're getting:

Hawkeye
Scarlett Witch
The Vision
Hercules
Hank Pym (as Giant Man)
The Wasp
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Ribbons on Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:34 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:The team I think we're getting:

Hawkeye
Scarlett Witch
The Vision
Hercules
Hank Pym (as Giant Man)
The Wasp

How come Hercules?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby buster00 on Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:36 pm

Ribbons wrote:

Hawkeye
Scarlett Witch
The Vision
Hercules
Hank Pym (as Giant Man)
The Wasp

How come Hercules?

Seems like I've heard that the Thor property is tied up, but I don't know for sure.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:36 pm

Ribbons wrote:

Hawkeye
Scarlett Witch
The Vision
Hercules
Hank Pym (as Giant Man)
The Wasp

How come Hercules?

Because without Thor, I figure they'll need some supermuscle. Either him or Wonder Man.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Ribbons on Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:40 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:
Ribbons wrote:

Hawkeye
Scarlett Witch
The Vision
Hercules
Hank Pym (as Giant Man)
The Wasp

How come Hercules?

Because without Thor, I figure they'll need some supermuscle. Either him or Wonder Man.

Oh, okay. I guess they should probably go with Wonder Man if that's the case though, because you can have the whole love triangle between him and Wanda and teh V1s10n that way.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:34 pm

Ribbons wrote:

Hawkeye
Scarlett Witch
The Vision
Hercules
Hank Pym (as Giant Man)
The Wasp

How come Hercules?

ok, if my memory serves, aside from Hercules, this sounds like the main core from back in the early 80's, when i actually used to read a few comics here and there.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:38 pm

Peven wrote:
Ribbons wrote:
Maste rWhedon wrote:The team I think we're getting:

Hawkeye
Scarlett Witch
The Vision
Hercules
Hank Pym (as Giant Man)
The Wasp

How come Hercules?

ok, if my memory serves, aside from Hercules, this sounds like the main core from back in the early 80's, when i actually used to read a few comics here and there.

I started reading these in the late 80's, I had started with Iron Man, then read Avengers: West Coast because it had Iron Man, then moved on to the Avengers...

If we replace Hercules with Wonder Man there could be not one but TWO love triangles...
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Adam Balm on Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:57 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:As I wrote back when we were first discussing this, I think the best way for this movie to work is as a sequel to the Captain America solo film. Like, establish him doing his own thing, and then the sequel would be about him assembling the Avengers to fight an even bigger threat. Seriously, "Captain America and The Avengers" is a fucking great, pulpy title.

My dream Avengers movie team would be:

Captain America
Iron Man
Thor
Hawkeye
Scarlett Witch
The Vision
Hank Pym (w/ no powers)

The team I think we're getting:

Hawkeye
Scarlett Witch
The Vision
Hercules
Hank Pym (as Giant Man)
The Wasp

I wouldn't say so. The whole point that there's an interest in this is at Paramoun is that the studio also holds the rights to Cap and Iron Man. So we'd at least be getting them too. Anybody know what the rights situation is with Thor? If they can get him too then we at least have the 'big three' of the Marvel U.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:14 pm

Yeah, I guess that was the hope with them re-securing most of the character rights, but I just honestly don't see them brining all the big guns in for one SUPER superhero movie. I think they'll fly the Avengers flag over a team of B-listers and try to pump the action up to a point where you won't notice all the guys you're missing.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Adam Balm on Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:16 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Yeah, I guess that was the hope with them re-securing most of the character rights, but I just honestly don't see them brining all the big guns in for one SUPER superhero movie. I think they'll fly the Avengers flag over a team of B-listers and try to pump the action up to a point where you won't notice all the guys you're missing.

And of course there'll be all those little easter eggs for us fans to make us forgive the omissions... A mention of Stark Industries here, the WWII super-soldier program over here, a crazy nut wielding a hammer and thinking he's a god over there....

sigh.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:22 pm

Directed by Mark Steven Johnson :roll:
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby instant_karma on Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:28 pm

Rob Cohen could do the West Coast Avengers spin-off movie...
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:50 pm

...Favreau insists that Marvel will only go ahead with the project if and when all the individual characters get their own story. It'll be worth the wait, Favreau claimed, calling this way not only more impressive and formidable ・but more consistent as well.

"I wonder if the tone of 'The Incredible Hulk' is going to be similar or different than ['Iron Man']," Favreau questioned. "And 'Captain America' is a twinkle in Marvel's eye right now. And 'Thor' and 'Ant Man.'

"[But] in the case of Marvel they're pretty clear on wanting to do it with the actors who've established the roles or to not do it at all. That's what they've said to me," he continued.

source: shh

I like the way marvel is setting up their Avengers universe. I just wish the WB would do the same with the JLA.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:56 pm

TheButcher wrote:
...Favreau insists that Marvel will only go ahead with the project if and when all the individual characters get their own story. It'll be worth the wait, Favreau claimed, calling this way not only more impressive and formidable ・but more consistent as well.

"I wonder if the tone of 'The Incredible Hulk' is going to be similar or different than ['Iron Man']," Favreau questioned. "And 'Captain America' is a twinkle in Marvel's eye right now. And 'Thor' and 'Ant Man.'

"[But] in the case of Marvel they're pretty clear on wanting to do it with the actors who've established the roles or to not do it at all. That's what they've said to me," he continued.

I like the way marvel is setting up their Avengers universe. I just wish the WB would do the same with the JLA.

hmmm, maybe we would be getting the big guns (Iron Man, Cap, Thor) after all...

in about 15 years...

That said...this IS the best way to set up this type of team-up film, IMO. Give all the major players their own solo flick first, then bring them ALL into the team up (with the original actors or nothing).

I'm just impatient...this would take a loooong time to pull off.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:00 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
TheButcher wrote:

hmmm, maybe we would be getting the big guns (Iron Man, Cap, Thor) after all...

in about 15 years...

That said...this IS the best way to set up this type of team-up film, IMO. Give all the major players their own solo flick first, then bring them ALL into the team up (with the original actors or nothing).

I'm just impatient...this would take a loooong time to pull off.

This sounds good in theory but how will Marvel reconcile costs with this plan. I mean they are using named actors now and feasibly all of those individual SH films could take off. Then what? Do they believe that 6 high profile guys are suddenly going to take a paycut to do a group film?

Though DC's way seems bad it atleast seems more financially feasible.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:03 pm

I'm pipe dreaming, Chairman. Ensembles incorporating that much star power are not unprecedented (Ocean's movies) but I don't see how they could pull it off without some sort of crazy deal with the actors.

With respect to D.C.'s approach, man, if it's as bad as I fear it will be, then I don't want them to do it at all...but then that's another thread, I guess.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:24 pm

Ocean's Avengers, perhaps? Hehehehe...
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon May 05, 2008 4:57 pm

MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon May 05, 2008 4:59 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Yeah, I guess that was the hope with them re-securing most of the character rights, but I just honestly don't see them brining all the big guns in for one SUPER superhero movie. I think they'll fly the Avengers flag over a team of B-listers and try to pump the action up to a point where you won't notice all the guys you're missing.

BTW, I'm waaaaaaaaaaay happy to admit how wrong I was on this one. :D :D :D
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon May 05, 2008 5:14 pm

Kudos to Marvel for getting this stuff in gear. If only WB/DC could get their shit together.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Mon May 05, 2008 5:20 pm

It'll be interesting to see how this all pans out, if it pans out. As per Samuel L. Jackson cameo-ing in Iron Man and Robert Downey Jr. in The Incredible Hulk, I assume they have some sort of plan to tie all of these threads together. If Thor's movie is really going to be self-contained in Asgard as Protosevich and Vaughn have said before, I wonder how that's gonna work. In the Avengers movie will he just show up on a bolt of lightning and go "Here I am, mortals!"

Or maybe Loki could wreak havoc on the earth somehow! That's it Marvel, hire me to write the script!

EDIT: Oh, and no Ant-Man? Come back, Edgar Wright!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon May 05, 2008 5:34 pm

Ribbons wrote:It'll be interesting to see how this all pans out, if it pans out. As per Samuel L. Jackson cameo-ing in Iron Man and Robert Downey Jr. in The Incredible Hulk, I assume they have some sort of plan to tie all of these threads together. If Thor's movie is really going to be self-contained in Asgard as Protosevich and Vaughn have said before, I wonder how that's gonna work. In the Avengers movie will he just show up on a bolt of lightning and go "Here I am, mortals!"

Or maybe Loki could wreak havoc on the earth somehow! That's it Marvel, hire me to write the script!

ComingSoon.Net wrote:In a conference call this morning, Marvel Studios' David Maisel said that Iron Man 2 will be used to introduce Thor.

Not entirely sure how that would work, but I assume Thor will be introduced/referred to via Tony's interactions with SHIELD.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Ribbons on Mon May 05, 2008 6:03 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:
Ribbons wrote:It'll be interesting to see how this all pans out, if it pans out. As per Samuel L. Jackson cameo-ing in Iron Man and Robert Downey Jr. in The Incredible Hulk, I assume they have some sort of plan to tie all of these threads together. If Thor's movie is really going to be self-contained in Asgard as Protosevich and Vaughn have said before, I wonder how that's gonna work. In the Avengers movie will he just show up on a bolt of lightning and go "Here I am, mortals!"

ComingSoon.Net wrote:In a conference call this morning, Marvel Studios' David Maisel said that Iron Man 2 will be used to introduce Thor.

Not entirely sure how that would work, but I assume Thor will be introduced/referred to via Tony's interactions with SHIELD.

Iron Man: Rise of the Thor?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon May 05, 2008 6:14 pm

Ribbons wrote:Iron Man: Rise of the Thor?

PLEASE. GOD. NO.

:shock:

In all honesty, I have every bit of faith they'll handle this right. Iron Man made a total believer out of me.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby buster00 on Mon May 05, 2008 10:33 pm

I'm hoping that whenever they introduce Thor, they use the Ultimates version: Nobody's quite sure if he's a god or just a convincing lunatic.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Ginger Man on Tue May 06, 2008 6:54 pm

Ok, so my posts in the Thor thread are bordering too much on Avengers, so I'll jump over here. We're talking about it over there, but what about the rest of the Avengers' cast?

Thor, Capt America, Ant Man(maybe)? If they're cast as high-profile as Iron Man and Hulk, do we need more team members...or is 4-5 enough? Cuz don't forget Sam Jackson as Nick Fury. And whatever villian(s) are in the film. We're talking major star power/character congestion.

MW suggested Gerarg Butler and Vitto Mortensen for Thor, both of which are strong choices, I think.

I've got no idea for Capt and Ant Man. You guys?
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Peven on Tue May 06, 2008 6:58 pm

Brad Pitt as Cap
George Clooney as Dr Strange (don't even know if he is connected to the Avengers but it just popped in my head while typing out Pitt for Cap

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby DennisMM on Tue May 06, 2008 7:09 pm

Cap is a tough one because if you go with either 616 or Ultimate origins you have to allow for hibernation and aging. He was in his early 20s when he took the super soldier process in '41 and he went into the ice in '45. Marvel now says he was frosty for 50 or more years (though sometimes they make references to his having been active again for decades). If he's aged normally - showing age in his face, at least - since a mid-'90s thaw he'd be mid to late thirties. But does he age normally, at least in his looks? Should Cap look 25? Should Cap simply be 25, created now, and should we forget about the freeze and thaw?

Sorry to ramble, but that all comes into play with me and as a result I don't have more names now. Aaron Eckhart surely looks like a more mature Cap, though.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Peven on Tue May 06, 2008 7:14 pm

wait. a more mature Cap? i've got it!!!

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3760691200/nm0474520

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby doglips on Tue May 06, 2008 7:18 pm

Peven wrote:wait. a more mature Cap? i've got it!!!

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3760691200/nm0474520

Hahaha, you douche :D :wink:
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby thebabypanda on Tue May 06, 2008 7:20 pm

my vote would be thor introduced via dr strange as played by....

Johnny Depp.
thebabypanda
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue May 06, 2008 7:29 pm

DennisMM wrote:Aaron Eckhart surely looks like a more mature Cap, though.

Actually, he was one of my choices for Thor back before he was announced for Dark Knight. Sadly, I think that takes him off the table for both.

I used to like Karl Urban for Thor too, but I've cooled on him as of late. And the direct LOTR connection would probably hurt the franchise's sense of identity, IMO.

I like Brad Pitt for Captain America, but again I wonder if he's too obvious a choice. The only other guys I can think of right now are Mark Whalberg or Matt Damon (though, for whatever reason, I don't think Damon would be interested).
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby The Ginger Man on Tue May 06, 2008 7:37 pm

Johnny Depp as Dr. Strange would be great, BTW.

I could see Pitt as Capt American. He's got the acting chops. Damon, too. But probably right that he wouldn't do it.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue May 06, 2008 7:41 pm

The Ginger Man wrote:Ok, so my posts in the Thor thread are bordering too much on Avengers, so I'll jump over here. We're talking about it over there, but what about the rest of the Avengers' cast?

Thor, Capt America, Ant Man(maybe)? If they're cast as high-profile as Iron Man and Hulk, do we need more team members...or is 4-5 enough? Cuz don't forget Sam Jackson as Nick Fury. And whatever villian(s) are in the film. We're talking major star power/character congestion.

MW suggested Gerarg Butler and Vitto Mortensen for Thor, both of which are strong choices, I think.

I've got no idea for Capt and Ant Man. You guys?

No more than 4-5 heroes, i think. Even in the comics when you get Avengers stories with 7 heroes cruising around SOMEONE gets the short end of the story-stick.
Lord Voldemoo

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion