Alien and The Thing

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

WHO WINS? YOU DECIDE!

Alien
51%
The Thing
44%
Liberal "everyone's a winner" option
5%
I do not like either and deserve execution
No votes

Total votes : 55

Alien and The Thing

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:52 am

These are probably my two favourite films.

The Thing has a superb premise and is a stunning exercise in paranoia. The blood test is great: Norris' head scuttling across the floor, Palmer's reaction to it, the scene where Doc's arms are chewed off - it's amazing and there's some great lines, especially Garry's about being tied to the chair. It's also a film at the height of masculinity - no women at all (not even any pinups) and the only female presence are the women on the television gameshows and Macready's chess computer.

Alien is really quite wonderful. You're trapped in a metal box in space with a monster, a predator, an ultimate killer....what the hell do we do?! It has a groundbreaking female heroine as well as a brilliant ensemble cast. Beautiful direction from Ridley Scott and effects which have barely dated in 30 years.

Both films benefit from the addition of glorious soundtracks and music.

They are both good.... but which ones the winner? There's only one way to find out... VOTE!!! ....and comment.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:00 am

pussy, make it a fight to the death, none of this vacillating namby-pamby nonsense.

it's two men enter, one man leave, after all.

and to kick it off, fuck Alien! Great flick and all, but I'm going with The Thing.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:24 am

Same here, went with The Thing... if it had been Aliens, on the other hand, I think I would've chosen that instead.

And don't get me started about Kong...
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby WinslowLeach on Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:31 am

Thing makes the Aliens look like acid blood having bitches!...wait... :)
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:44 am

I voted for Alien, although I could have been convinced to go with the Thing.

Fence-rider!!!!!!!!!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:56 am

Holy crappa, the Dino, he loves a the Johnny-Boy's The Thing, eh? But I gotta to go with a my man Ridley anna the Alien guy, no? While a the goddamn Dan O'Bannon, he rip offa the Mario Bava with a the Planet of a the Vampires (inna'cluding a the Space Jockey) scene, it's alla done with a such vision anna style, anna the sense of a the reality that it's a the groundbreaking inna it's own a right, no?

Funny how a the Ridley, he redefine a the genre with a the Alien anna Bladerunner, anna then he goes anna quits a the genre, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Nordling on Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:56 am

Both great films, but ALIEN gets the vote for me because it's the only movie monster that haunts my dreams. I have ALIEN dreams maybe 4 or 5 times a year, and they always scare the holy fuck out of me.

I think ALIEN is a fantastic ghost story, except it's a ship instead of a haunted house. There's just something about it that sets me on edge every time. And that's not to disparage THE THING because it's a mighty film in its own right. But ALIEN was the movie that really haunted my youth.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Nordling on Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:57 am

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Funny how a the Ridley, he redefine a the genre with a the Alien anna Bladerunner, anna then he goes anna quits a the genre, eh?

Shit, I'd quit too if I had made two of the best sci-fi films ever made.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby The Vicar on Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:04 am

Gotta go with The Thing - although I love both films.
The Thing, however, could actually become what its fighting, leaving the Alien at a disadvantage.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby magicmonkey on Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:04 am

I've not seen either in a couple of years... Anyway, "Darkstar" owns them both... But, I'll pick Alien, it's got Dan O'Bannon, an iconic scene and a great big pussy cat. There are not enough cats in film.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:05 am

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:While a the goddamn Dan O'Bannon, he rip offa the Mario Bava with a the Planet of a the Vampires (inna'cluding a the Space Jockey) scene, it's alla done with a such vision anna style, anna the sense of a the reality that it's a the groundbreaking inna it's own a right, no?

ditto for the artful jacking of SHIVERS steeds...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby WinslowLeach on Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:07 am

The Thing Vs Alien in a battle would truly be messed up. YIKES!
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:08 am

Hehehe... neck anna neck so far, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:10 am

WinslowLeach wrote:The Thing Vs Alien in a battle would truly be messed up. YIKES!

Yeah, but The Thing would just "appear" as an Alien...so then it would be alien vs. alien...

Now, if it was Alien Vs. The Thing Dog with all those rubber things coming out of it - well - Now you're talking...!!!

And my vote goes to The Thing...barely...

But when I pitted Kurt Russell against Sigourney - Sigourney came out on top with a nicer ass - but Kurt has the nicer hair...

Alas...Wilford Brimley and his Quaker Oats won me over in the end...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby WinslowLeach on Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:16 am

What if Ripley was The Thing and The Alien attacked her? That would be crazy! :)
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby instant_karma on Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:21 am

havocSchultz wrote:
WinslowLeach wrote:The Thing Vs Alien in a battle would truly be messed up. YIKES!

Yeah, but The Thing would just "appear" as an Alien...so then it would be alien vs. alien...

Unless the Alien managed to impregnate The Thing resulting in a Thingalien.

So, Thingalien vs Predalien. Who wins?
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:23 am

WinslowLeach wrote:What if Ripley was The Thing and The Alien attacked her? That would be crazy! :)

That would be good times for sure...

Than Kurt would come out and blow 'em both the fuck up...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby WinslowLeach on Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:23 am

What about Predator Vs The Thingalien?
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby instant_karma on Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:30 am

WinslowLeach wrote:What about Predator Vs The Thingalien?

No no, don't jump to that yet. We still haven'd done Predator vs regular Thing...
instant_karma

Postby Nordling on Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:30 am

I prefer Aliening.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby instant_karma on Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:30 am

Nordling wrote:I prefer Aliening.

Is that a hobby?
instant_karma

Postby WinslowLeach on Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:35 am

Thats looking for Aliens, Aliening.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nordling on Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:37 am

Or how about Thilien? Heh, sounds like a goddamn Middle Earth city.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Flumm on Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:39 am

so sorry wrote:I voted for Alien, although I could have been convinced to go with the Thing.

Fence-rider!!!!!!!!!

This made me laugh untill a little animatronic So Sorry popped out out of my chest and scampered off down the hallway, presumably to secrete acidic genius for blood elsewheres...

...and after utterly convincing me to vote Alien.

:o

Ahem.

Even though Ridly Scot must rate right towards the top of the Talented Directors to Disappointing Putz ratio.

The disapointing putz...

EDIT: Even Aliens, 6 to 6...
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nordling on Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:43 am

I consider Ridley Scott to be one of the finest directors living, actually. Even Hitchcock had a dud (and unfortunately it was his last film).

Do yourself a favor and see KINGDOM OF HEAVEN Director's Cut. It's as if David Lean directed another movie. Fantastic movie.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby WinslowLeach on Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:46 am

Ridley will always be tops in my little book. Anyone that can make a film like Blade Runner is the best. Although i gotta give my vote to Carps The Thing over Alien. I just love it the most out of the two.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:49 am

Nordling wrote:I consider Ridley Scott to be one of the finest directors living, actually. Even Hitchcock had a dud (and unfortunately it was his last film).

Do yourself a favor and see KINGDOM OF HEAVEN Director's Cut. It's as if David Lean directed another movie. Fantastic movie.

Everyone should check that out - turned a pretty good film into a Ridley Scott film. Damned studio hacks.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:52 am

Nordling wrote:I consider Ridley Scott to be one of the finest directors living, actually. Even Hitchcock had a dud (and unfortunately it was his last film).

Actually, I'd consider Topaz, his 3rd last film - to arguably be his worst...Family Plot was a bit better in comparison...

And, to show he still had it - the film sandwiched between those two was Frenzy...which was quite brilliant...

But I digress...

Ridley went on to make White Squall and A Good Year...think about those the next time you're trying to decide if he's still a master - or just a brilliant director with some masterful films...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Nordling on Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:55 am

Hitchcock's a master, and he's made a couple of bad films.

Spielberg's a master, and I could go the rest of my life without seeing ALWAYS, HOOK, or AMISTAD.

Kubrick's a master, and, well, okay, he's pretty much flawless. (I can't stand THE SHINING, but that's for another, rather long, thread.)

Ridley Scott has made at least two and debatably many more classic films. He's a master.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby WinslowLeach on Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:56 am

I cant say Ive loved EVERY Ridley film but most of them. I did like Black Rain and GI Jane alot.

I think all the guys Nord listed are masters, but I dont love them as much as guys like Leone, DePalma and Scorsese. I just gravitate towards those three more than the others.
Last edited by WinslowLeach on Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Flumm on Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:58 am

Aye, no doubt about it, when he's at his peak, the man can craft a movie, no question.

I suppose I was thinking more of the man behind the work, you know?

Whenever I see or hear him talk about film, he feels like he's almost disinterested about it all. It's a product rather than part of him. Not to mention the unashamedly prevalent ego, not so much boasting per say, but creeping and crawling out at the edges, wanting to be recognised...

I saw an interview he did with the BBC for a digital channel last year, and I was kind of left, really very reluctantly I should say, with the feeling that he's sort of a big grown up boy almost, chomping on his cigar and making lots of money to put in his piggy bank...

I felt a little sympathetic for him as apposed to beguiled or awed, you know?

However, it's all too easy to expect forcefull, conflicted or charasmatic people behind such creative work, though. To build up people to unreasoable expectations.

Not to mention that often the artist can only express what they want to express when working through their art...

And, when it comes down to it, I realise that it's the films that count when all is said and done, and Ridley's put more than his fair share in.

For me at least, the personality belies the talent, I guess.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby instant_karma on Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:07 am

Nordling wrote:Hitchcock's a master, and he's made a couple of bad films.

Spielberg's a master, and I could go the rest of my life without seeing ALWAYS, HOOK, or AMISTAD.

Kubrick's a master, and, well, okay, he's pretty much flawless. (I can't stand THE SHINING, but that's for another, rather long, thread.)

Ridley Scott has made at least two and debatably many more classic films. He's a master.

...sigh...

Am I really the only person in the world that thinks Always is brilliant?

Some days it sure feels that way....sniff....
instant_karma

Postby Nordling on Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:09 am

ALWAYS isn't terrible, but it's like cotton candy - there's not much there there. It's got moments but it's certainly one of Spielberg's lesser efforts.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Nordling on Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:12 am

And back on topic... "You've got to be fucking kidding."
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby WinslowLeach on Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:54 am

I always LMAO at the scene when Wilford Brimley goes nuts.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:58 am

Alien. It has the insurmountable advantage that I've seen it.

Also, it spawned a sequel directed by James Cameron. Beat THAT, Thing!
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Nordling on Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:01 pm

"I do not want to spend the rest of this winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!"

THE THING easily has the better dialogue. I still prefer ALIEN though.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Seppuku on Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:17 pm

My ex-neighbour used to own the cat from Alien. But I voted for it because it's one of the few films that can still penetrate this battle-hardened shell of mine and actually scare me. The Thing, while maybe more entertaining, just ain't scary to me. Ennio Morricone's score (which was nominated for a Razzie at the time- wtf), brings it pretty close, but no dice.
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby magicmonkey on Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:39 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:My ex-neighbour used to own the cat from Alien.

Holleeeeee sheeeeeeeeet. That's quite a claim to fame, by saying that they used to own it , do you mean in fact that they lost it? Was it prone to temper tantrums? Did they stuff it and sell it on ebay?
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:41 pm

magicmonkey wrote:

Holleeeeee sheeeeeeeeet. That's quite a claim to fame, by saying that they used to own it , do you mean in fact that they lost it? Was it prone to temper tantrums? Did they stuff it and sell it on ebay?

Did Sepp snatch it up and add it to some stir fry...?
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby minstrel on Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:54 pm

Can I have your autograph?
:)
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:08 pm

Nordling wrote:"I do not want to spend the rest of this winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!"

Depends onna the criteria, no? Iffa you talking about a the "Hollywood" type of a the dialogue, then a yes, I would a say it has alla the handy one-a-liners that alla you putzes, you like a to quote, eh?

But iffa you talking about a the realistic dialogue, as inna the lines that a the real people, they might a say, anna the delivery of a those lines, then a you gotta to go with a the Alien, no?

Inna the Alien, it was a like a the real people were inna the scenes anna the events, they were really happening, no? Anna the camera guy, he just a happen a to be there to film it, eh?

With a the Thing, the viewer, he is always acutely aware that he's a watching a the movie, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Nordling on Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:19 pm

Well, ALIEN's like a Robert Altman film in a way, with the overlapping dialogue and attention to realism. And that's very true - you always know you're in a movie when you watch THE THING.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby WinslowLeach on Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:22 pm

LOL! I just saw the choice on the poll

"Everyones a winner" :D

I like the realism/dialogue in Alien, but I just like how Carpenter cut out all the dull stuff and started Thing right away with the dog running through the snow. That was awesome. No fuckin around, just BAM BAM BAM, its rolling. Alien is more like the old fashioned "wait an hour to see the monster" type films. Great suspense and FX and everything, but the jolts in Thing happen even faster and have more tension to them IMO. Thats one reason I like it more. Watch that blood testing scene, thats genius. And the FX are fn outrageous. Some of the coolest craziest gore FX Ive ever seen in cinema.

I think The Thing is realistic too. I dont see why Thing is seen as "fake" and Alien is not. Realistic conversations happen in The Thing too. It was based on Howard Hawks' film and he was known especially for those kinds of overlapping dialogues in his films.
Last edited by WinslowLeach on Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Flumm on Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:31 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
Nordling wrote:" I do not want to spend the rest of this winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!"

Depends onna the criteria, no? Iffa you talking about a the "Hollywood" type of a the dialogue, then a yes, I would a say it has alla the handy one-a-liners that alla you putzes, you like a to quote, eh?

But iffa you talking about a the realistic dialogue, as inna the lines that a the real people, they might a say, anna the delivery of a those lines, then a you gotta to go with a the Alien, no?

Inna the Alien, it was a like a the real people were inna the scenes anna the events, they were really happening, no? Anna the camera guy, he just a happen a to be there to film it, eh?

With a the Thing, the viewer, he is always acutely aware that he's a watching a the movie, no?

Nordling wrote:Well, ALIEN's like a Robert Altman film in a way, with the overlapping dialogue and attention to realism. And that's very true - you always know you're in a movie when you watch THE THING.

I think in general, a sense of naturalism, whether it's comedy, action or horror, always is going to give that extra something to connect to for those that want or value it.

The "traditional" forms of drama, narrative or performance, even when they are being brilliantly realised, are always in some going to be, at some level at least, regarded.

I think that's why so often, when films are lauded for deconstructing or reinventing a genre, it's often when there's an element of the natural. If not completely, than usually more so that than the a-typical Mckeenean ebbs and flows of cinema which we're all drenched in.

I think there's more than enough room for both, and all in that lies inbetween as well, but I do notice in myself, especially as time goes on, that I'm drawn to something with some sense of reality to it...
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:35 pm

WinslowLeach wrote:I just like how Carpenter cut out all the dull stuff and started Thing right away with the dog running through the snow.

Yes, I do love a that a beginning too, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:36 pm

Flumm wrote: but I do notice in myself, especially as time goes on, that I'm drawn to something with some sense of reality to it...

So says the Robot!!!
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:39 pm

Nordling wrote:Well, ALIEN's like a Robert Altman film in a way, with the overlapping dialogue and attention to realism. And that's very true - you always know you're in a movie when you watch THE THING.

What's interesting is a that a the ORIGINAL "The Thing (From a the 'Nother World)" was a one of a the pictures that a started the whole overlapping dialogue thing, which a the Alien, she had inna the spades, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby WinslowLeach on Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:44 pm

Both films are very similar in theme and storyline. But I think what makes me choose The Thing over Alien too is that its a remake thats better than the original. It took a concept and made it even smarter. A thing that instead of being one scary creature (like the original thing) can become anything it hooks onto and blend in almost perfectly. Which creates an even more paranoia filled scenario.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:54 pm

Plus they are both remakes.....take that remake naysayers.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Next

Return to Movie Discussion