ROME

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

ROME

Postby Adam Balm on Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:21 pm

This grew out of a couple PMs where I wound up talking about this show, so here is the official Rome discussion thread.

My random thoughts:

*Not even one mention of Crassus? As I had always read it, his death, and the end of the First Triumvirate was the main instigator of the civil war.

*I like how they're mixing in some original latin. 'bona' for good, 'dominus' for 'my lord', 'domina' for 'my lady'.

*Octavian isn't just my favorite character on the show, I think he's my favorite character ever.

*What is it with guys slapping chicks here?

*It was cool how Atia let it slip that Marc Antony liked seeing her in 'eastern style' get up considering his future choice in women.

*I want Atia to have my abortion.

*So far we got one character in Rome played by an Italian, and he's a slave. Just once I'd like to see Romans or Greeks look like Romans or Greeks. Dark, swarthy, Mediterranean. I've seen the painting of Alexander the Great on his f a t her's tomb. Fucker looks more like a jew or an arab than a blonde irishman.

Discuss.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:50 pm

i like the show okay, but it definately needs more cowbell, i mean decadence.

for instance, what i most want to see is crazed pagan blood orgies of the damned, blood-curdling scenes of pointless imperialist wars, and mass murder. i guess this is where the show will go eventually.

basically i want CALIGULA: THE SERIES

btw, Mark Anthony is my favorite character so far because he is such a complete and utter bastard. he'll meet an ignominious end, i reckon.

that one roman milfs boobs are wonderlisicous!!!

btw, why the chick hitting? cause John Millus wrote it!
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:53 pm

Does it have lots of Dumbledore sex?
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Adam Balm on Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:55 pm

Yeah, I think I really am developing an unhealthy obsession with Atia. Marvel comics should write a comic about her, and call it ULTIMATE MILF.

I think we already did see a pagan blood orgy. (It was like in episode 2 where a goat was sacrified and all the blood fell down on Atia, and she was all orgasmic from it.)
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:56 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:Does it have lots of my lover sex?

There seems to be a glaring lack of guy-on-guy for the period. It's alluded to, we know that it's accepted, but we never see it. Don't know why.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:57 pm

I figured as much. One of my best friends is a retired Classics professor and I thought Troy was going to give him a coronary. He keeps asking me if this show is worth watching. I think I am going to tell him its shit just to save myself hours of "O NOES!"
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby John-Locke on Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:45 pm

Great show, the bit when they were talking about who was going to kill who if the brutes got inside was hilarious, it felt like Python. Titus is a badass, Octavian is a smart little fucker, if the show jumps forward a decade or so between seasons they need to get a good replacement. I really like this show, I'm going to watch the new episode tonight, I hope it has mucho milf mamaries, macabre madness & murder.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby wonkabar on Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:50 pm

I love this show
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Flumm on Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:50 pm

Hey John, do you know if they're gonna show it over here anytime soon? (I'm assuming your on the torrents)
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:10 pm

It should be on the Beeb at some point as they paid for some of it, although I think we would have to have a tamed down version or it will be shown too late at night to justify the cost to license payers. Full frontal Nudity & some acts of hardcore Violence don't go down well with the Daily Mail readers.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Flumm on Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:20 pm

I'm suprised The Daily Mail didn't come out as, The Daily - right wing scaremongering propagandist bullshit for housewives and thier lapdogs - Mail, but maybe Doc didn't have time to get around to it.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:28 pm

For anyone who's reading this, who hasn't seen Rome yet, here's the trailer for the show:

http://tinyurl.com/alltt

"Look here, Mars. I am Titus Pullo. And these bloody men, are my gift to you..."
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Flumm on Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:31 pm

Thanks a lot adam.

Did I spot a guy from "The Bill" in it?

It looked really good actually, more than just high end production values...
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby wonkabar on Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:51 pm

Thank god for this show. Now that Curbyourenthusiasm jumped the shark. There isn't much on HBO these days. Entourage is ok. I've only seen the Comic-con/Aquaf@g episode though. Fuck them for ripping into SD....we got the hottest chicks in California. And I've lived Santa Barbara in and LA.....fuckn' putz LA-writers
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:12 am

Adam Balm wrote:Yeah, I think I really am developing an unhealthy obsession with Atia. Marvel comics should write a comic about her, and call it ULTIMATE MILF.

I think we already did see a pagan blood orgy. (It was like in episode 2 where a goat was sacrified and all the blood fell down on Atia, and she was all orgasmic from it.)

lol! she is the ULTIMATE MILF. :lol:

and yeah! the pagan blood sacrifice was my favorite scene so far! i loved how she felt all at ease after wards too; as if the blood had washed away all badness. poifect. she has a really funny line then too, but i don't remember what it was...

anyways, needs more of that. also: more insanely bloody battles. looks like greece might be a hoot n' a hollar...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Adam Balm on Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:25 pm

The trailer for episode 7, "Pharsalus" is now online.

It's amazing how fast this show goes. Already we have the showdown between Pompey and Caesar.

Episode 7 airs this Sunday at 9 PM ET.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fanboy on Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:35 am

I really didn't understand much of episode 7 or parts of 6.

I know Pompey was on the run, and had fled to Greece, after having left Italy. So he's on the run, with Caesar having the upper hand. Yet in the time span of an episode, Caesar manages to lose like half his army and is "greatly outnumbered" (direct quote). Then in episode 7, Caesar manages to "win" forcing Pompey to flee to Egypt, splitting Cicero and Brutus from him?

How did Caesar manage to just like, over come the numbers game? between episodes 5-7 they'd sway back in forth who had the upper hand.

I assume 6 episodes left? Episode 8 looks promising, since ya know someone appears to have assassinated Pompey.
Fanboy
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby John-Locke on Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:59 am

Pompey should have won but because Ceasars men had to Win or Die (no choice of retreat) and because of plain Bad Luck (Pompeys cavalry were spooked by Ceasars Men as they attacked & Ran back into Pompeys own men desimating their Flank). I love that you can see how the characters can attribute their Lives events to the will of the gods, like why Ceasar spared our two heroes.The scenes between Ceasar & Brutus were particularly good, lots of great Actors being discovered here.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Fanboy on Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:30 pm

Ah. Well that explains some. What "ailment" is Caesar strucken with that causes these seizures?
Fanboy
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Adam Balm on Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:47 pm

As far as I can tell, it was just epilepsy, although he only had two seizures in his whole life.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:52 pm

BTW, next week we see the introduction of Cleopatra as Caesar decides who should rule Egypt, her or Ptolemy XIII. I say if previous episodes are any indicator, Caesar and Mark Antony will take turns slapping her around.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fanboy on Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:37 pm

Wonder who the father of Cleopatra's son really is, Pullo, Verinus or Caesar?

Kinda felt bad when Verinus went for Cleopatra, I always figured him a faithful guy, I mean yea he has problems expressing his love for Niobe but he does love her.

That one scene where the messenger was the guy that killed Pompey, brilliant, ya know he aint walking out of there.
Last edited by Fanboy on Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fanboy
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Adam Balm on Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:42 pm

Well, it's not Vorenus. I thought it was implied that he couldn't even get it up for her, thinking about his wife back home.

I'm guessing it's not Caesar. He's had three different wives, he's 52 years old, and no kids yet. I think he's shooting blanks.

It's gotta be Pullo. I bet Pullo left little Pullites allover Gaul over the eight years he was part of the 13th in Caesar's war.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby wonkabar on Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:44 pm

This show fucking rules! Now that Galactica is gone, this is THE show for me right now.
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby lyra belacqua on Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:31 pm

I was going to be pissed by the whole "Pullo just sits until coerced to fight," but then, somehow, it was pulled off just beautifully. I was upset with the character of Pullo last week, now all I can see is a broken, broken man.
Vorenus earned back his strips from me, even though you totally knew what was gonna happen.

Now, if Atia would just die a bloody, painful death, I might actually love this show. :D
lyra belacqua
GEEK GODDESS

Postby John-Locke on Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:13 pm

OMFG That was better than Gladiator, way better.

Great episdoe but OMG because of the my adoration for the character of Pullo I was absolutely rivoted by that arena scene, maybe the best it's ever been done?
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Brocktune on Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:22 pm

i just started watching this show, and im aware that this thread contains spoilers, so ive only read a few of these posts. when i finally catch up ( im just starting episode 7) i will return to read all of these. but i had to come in here to say that the chicks that play Niobe and Atia like the hottest chicks on tv. man are they hot. they are so fucking hot that it feels like my cock is going to explode when i watch this show. i try to just get over it, but i cant. i have to watch this show alone for fear that i may actually mount my television.
can i also just say that the use of color in this show is staggering to me. evey episode is like some beautiful tapestry. the use and blending of colors is just awesome. maybe its the drugs, but i really respond to it.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:42 pm

As I said before, Brock, if Marvel did a comic starring Atia it would be called Ultimate MILF.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:45 pm

Ulti-M.I.L.F!
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby dmann on Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:47 pm

Atia: the new fragrance for men who are subservient bitches to their Mistresses.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read" - Groucho Marx
dmann
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby wonkabar on Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:04 pm

Titus rules
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:22 pm

Yes, Wonka. Yes he does. I've just done some marathon Rome-ing (thank god for On Demand).

Holy shit is this show good. Caesar reminds me a bit of Tony Soprano. A powerful man, who sometimes seems to want to do the right thing, and he may even forgive your transgressions once. But never, ever, cross him again (SPOILER for those who don't know their history (unless, of course, you're Brutus)).

Titus Pullo may be my favorite television character in the history of the world. Ray Stevenson is doing a great job there.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Adam Balm on Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:13 pm

T h e Rome season finale talkback begins here.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fanboy on Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:54 pm

man..

talk about a way to end a season

That was probably the most gruesome thing I've seen

Now I've seen alot of shit, online. I'm pretty desensitized to that stuff.

But damn...all those guys clusterfuck stabbing Caesar was just surreal....Like they didn't fucking stop they just kept stabbing him, and when they stopped he was still alive till Brutus stabbed him. I knew based on what little of the old play I learned, that Brutus would betray Caesar at some point, but damn...

So Vernenus killed his wife, looks like Pullo will gain Eirene's forgiveness, Atia and family seem to be royally fucked, talk about a cliff hanger.

It's sad we got to wait till 2007 for new episodes, that's 1.2 years from now.........
Fanboy
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby wonkabar on Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:56 am

I can't believe they killed her! Is it true the second season doesn't start till 07?
Last edited by wonkabar on Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Adam Balm on Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:54 am

I'm....speechless. This episode destroyed me. Utterly destroyed me.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:59 pm

Fantastic, Supurb, Magnificent, Brutal.

Lucius Vorenus through out the Series is in his own way responsible for the f@te of Rome, not like Pullo who surrenders to f@te more and does things more instinctualy, Vorenus contiously makes decisions who's concequences are far reaching & change the future, now he's probably a character made up for the show but I like how Ceasar see's the gods working through him, and he's eventually the one who does something out of anger and instinct (It's always over a woman) and it allows Ceasars downfall to happen.

Who thinks Ceasar was a tyrant?

Anyway it's ultimately the two women behing the scenes pulling all the strings, with the help of the every serving slaves who see all & know all. Brutus was nothing but a pawn.

One thing, I think Atia will come up with one hell of a devious plan to get rid of Brutus' mother. Octavius will become emporer eventually I think, I'll check on Wikipedia.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Adam Balm on Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:04 pm

Actually, both Lucius Vorenus and Titus Pullo are real historical figures. The show's creators mentioned it in their commentary.

Though it goes without saying that alot of liberties were probably taken. I don't think they were really the Forest Gumps of the Roman Empire..
Last edited by Adam Balm on Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:06 pm

Super duper spoilers from History, I'll put them in invisotext which is black.

Starting here: After Caesar's assassination a Second Triumvirate, consisting of Caesar's designated heir Octavian and his former supporters Mark Antony and Marcus Aemilius Lepidus, took power, but its members soon descended into a struggle for dominance. When Octavian defeated Antony and queen Cleopatra of Egypt at the Battle of Actium in 31 BC he became the undisputed master of Rome. He assumed almost absolute power while retaining the pretence of Republican form of goverment. His designated successor, Tiberius, took power without bloodshed.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Adam Balm on Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:13 pm

Good call on the inviso-text.

You know I purposely prevented myself from re-reading pretty much anything to do with that period of Roman history until the season finale aired last night.

If I did read about the characters, it was just background info, like Caesar's childhood, how he became Consul, the first Triumvirate, etc...

I still think I'm going to keep myself in the dark on what happens next.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby wonkabar on Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:07 pm

wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:48 pm

wonkabar wrote:IT'S ON!

I scooped everyone! But possibly in the wrong thread...

http://zone.aintitcool.com/viewtopic.php?t=17031&highlight=

Lord Voldemoo wrote:Looks like Rome Season 2 is in production as we speak. I was wondering about this the other day (last I'd heard, it was still in question) and finally got around to researching it:

Meanwhile, at Cinecitta, the Forum is being spruced up and helmets and leather bodices dusted prior to production kickoff of series two, April 10.

It is being shepherded by John Melfi ("Sex and the City""Sex And The City"), who takes over from Frank Doelger as executive producer, while Anthony Pratt has replaced Joseph Bennett as production designer.

Episodes one and two will be helmed by Timothy Van Patten and Allen CoulterAllen Coulter respectively, both of whom also worked on the first series.

Casting is underway in Britain for an older Octavian to take over from Max Pirkis.

And, while new plot elements are under wraps, Stamp said that Rome will become a desperate and anarchic place due to a famine. Epic will start with Caesar's funeral, have at least one big set-piece battle, and continue to feature lots of nudity.

Date in print: Mon., Mar. 27, 2006

Here's the full story, from Variety: ETA: bloody hell, here's a link that works...

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117940324?categoryid=19&cs=1&query=rome&display=rome
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby wonkabar on Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:00 pm

I figured someone probaly beat me to it. Oh well, at least we can finally recommence discussion of Rome's "future" here.
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Two and Out for 'Rome'

Postby Starks on Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:22 am

http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-romeendingafterseason2,0,5831913.story?coll=zap-news-headlines

LOS ANGELES -- The fall of "Rome" will happen sometime in early 2007.

HBO announced Wednesday that the second season of its epic series set in the time of Caesar will debut Jan. 7. At the same time, the network says next season will be the last for the show.

Filming on season two is currently taking place at the Cinecitta Studios in Rome and will wrap in October. Once that's done, though, the show -- a co-production with the BBC -- will call it quits.

HBO Chairman and CEO Chris Albrecht says that "Rome" was originally envisioned as a miniseries, but after seeing the quality of the first scripts the network and its partners (Italian broadcaster Rai was also involved) decided to go ahead with a full-blown show. However, after dealing with the logistics of shooting overseas and the high cost -- reports pegged the price tage for the first season at somewhere around $100 million -- HBO made the decision to pull the plug (the commitments of BBC and Rai were due to run out after the coming season as well).

The show's first-season ratings on HBO were decent (most episodes drew between 2 million and 3 million viewers) but not at the level of "The Sopranos" or, say, "Six Feet Under" in its prime. It did earn a fair share of critical praise and last week was nominated for eight Emmys.

The second season will pick up following the death of Julius Caesar. Most of the principal cast is scheduled to return, including Kevin McKidd, Polly Walker, Ray Stevenson, James Purefoy, Lindsay Duncan and Kerry Condon.
Starks
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:15 pm

Brocktune wrote:ithey are so fucking hot that it feels like my cock is going to explode when i watch this show. i try to just get over it, but i cant.

after a three episode bender, I went and "saw" my girlfriend naked...TWICE!

my critical eye wants to take the show to task for being a mere knock-off of both The Sopranos and Deadwood, the constant deus ex machina machinations of both Lucius and Titus is annoying, THERE'S BEEN A DISTINCT LACK OF BUTT-SEX, every episode is the same thing (political intrigue, violence, religion, sex), but...BUT...

Titus, glaring plot point moving aside, rocks (love to see him 'n Omar in a crossover), TITS, GLORIOUS TITS!, Atia brings the psycho-sexual drama (she's a young, blood drenched version of Livia S.), Octavian is one Emperor I would follow, Ciarán Hinds fucking rules, Niobe's TITS!, blood, blood, blood...

5 episodes in, and yeah, I'm hooked.

Question...are we, the viewers, supposed to represent the "mob"?
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:21 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:5 episodes in, and yeah, I'm hooked.

It only gets better!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby so sorry on Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:49 pm

Bump!

So I splurged/spooged and bought the Rome Season 1 DVDs (half price at Best Buy on Christmas Eve!).

I watched the first two episode's last night, and its not too shabby! I image it will only get better.

one (negative) comment I have is that I swear i heard the word "buggered" spoken by Mark Antony, which bothered me...

(PS there was a quick "who are they" featurette where some of the main actors talked about their characters, and the actress who plays Octavia has the UGLIEST IRISH ACCENT I've ever heard. I swear I wanted to rip her throat out)
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:50 pm

so sorry wrote:So I splurged/spooged and bought the Rome Season 1 DVDs

I'm a gonna to guess that a you did a both... first a the one, anna then a the other about a the 7 minutes inna to a the first episode, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:51 pm

I just finished watching the entire first season of Rome a few days ago.

Totally awesome. I can't wait until the new season begins.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:52 pm

7 minutes in?

you give me too much credit old man! :wink:
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Next

Return to Coaxial