RUNAWAYS

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:35 pm

Yeah I loved how they all kind of universally agreed that Molly would be the last man standing no matter what else happened.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby doglips on Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:55 pm

New pages from issue 25 ( they look pretty good ) and an interesting interview with Michael Ryan, who says he his only working on Runaways for 6 issues.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:53 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:New pages from issue 25 ( they look pretty good ) and an interesting interview with Michael Ryan, who says he his only working on Runaways for 6 issues.

Yup. Him and Joss are only on for 6 issues. Then I drop the book. I will give it a try with the new team...but it won't be on my pull list unless they show me something incredible.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:08 pm

Hubbawha?! Only six issues?!! Why did I think he said he'd be on for the forseeeable future?!

Well, this is crummy... :(
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:15 pm

oy
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:24 pm

Sorry MW. I was just as upset...

Leckomaniac on the first page wrote:Sigh.

Over at New Joe Fridays...Joe Q. revealed that Whedon is only on for 6 issues. After that, he is gone. They are already in talks with another writer to take over...but he wouldn't say who.

RUNAWAYS is the only Marvel title I am still reading...and that has to do with BVK and Whedon. It is going to have to be a GREAT writer to keep me interested after Whedon goes.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:31 pm

I hear its going to be Frank Miller with Rob Liefield on art.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:34 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:I hear its going to be Frank Miller with Rob Liefield on art.

Turn around three times, throw salt over your shoulder and spit.

DO IT!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:34 pm

Joe Q wrote:The new Runaways team is...

FRANK MILLER AND ROB LIEFELD!

DAMN YOU BURL!

DAMN YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:01 pm

Lecko, I think you should not just drop stuff you like just because you fear a change. I have loved Runaways, and I will prolly like Joss' version, but its obviously (even if you don't like Marvel now as you have said about a zillion times) that Quesada holds the book in high regard and is working to get the best people on it. I think Joss' arc attests to that. So stop being a silly goose and going all Winslow on us.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:06 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:Lecko, I think you should not just drop stuff you like just because you fear a change. I have loved Runaways, and I will prolly like Joss' version, but its obviously (even if you don't like Marvel now as you have said about a zillion times) that Quesada holds the book in high regard and is working to get the best people on it. I think Joss' arc attests to that. So stop being a silly goose and going all Winslow on us.

No hold on. Read what I wrote.

Leckomaniac wrote:Yup. Him and Joss are only on for 6 issues. Then I drop the book. I will give it a try with the new team...but it won't be on my pull list unless they show me something incredible.

I am dropping the book from my PULL list. I am going to buy the first issue and give it a fair shot. I just don't want it on my pull list. Big difference. I love the RUNAWAYS. I want them to succeed. And they very well could. It has earned a fair shake. And I will give it one. If I like what I read then it will go back on the pull list. I don't like it when my PL gets crowded. I use my PL to keep track of books that I absolutely HAVE to have. I buy a whole bunch of stuff that isn't on my PL (The Flash, Local, and a whole heap of others).

Don't you DARE compare me to Winslow. :evil:
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:17 pm

Oh typical winslow style... can't admit he's wrong.

jk/
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:32 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:Oh typical winslow style... can't admit he's wrong.

jk/

RUNAWAYS IS A MASTERPIECE OF EXPLOITATION COMIC BOOKS!

Grindhouse rulez!

:lol:
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:14 am

I love it, we've not even read a Whedon issue and already we get to predict who might take over the reigns.

I'd love Slott to write Runaways.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:20 am

thedoglippedone wrote:I love it, we've not even read a Whedon issue and already we get to predict who might take over the reigns.

I'd love Slott to write Runaways.

Yeah I got much love for the Slott. And he could introduce some obscure ass villains from Marvels sordid past and make them the new arch nemisis of the Runaways. With the PRIDE gone they totally need a new arch nemisis.

Marvel should have given Sean McKeever an exclusive contract and offered him RUNAWAYS. They really dropped the ball on that one.

I would love it if Jeff Parker took the reigns He might not be high profile enough to follow Whedon but he has been hovering on the edges of the Marvel U and its time he gets a chance to shine.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:24 am

Yeah, Parker is a good pick too. I loved Agents of Atlas and his Marvel Adventures - The Avengers books were cool too.

McKeever would be good too, especially if he somehow managed to bring Takeshi Miyazawa back to do the art - loved his issues of Runaways.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby The Garbage Man on Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:56 pm

Anyone else read #25 yet?

It's a good debut IMO, some fun "guest stars" and whatnot, but I couldn't help being bugged by some of the Whedonisms. A good editor would've probably fixed those, but that's a long-dead horse.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby GreatMoose on Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:18 pm

Just read it, really enjoyed it. Yeah, the whedonisms stick out like a sore thumb, but it's till pretty cool. LOOOVE the artwork for next issue (Molly's my favorite!) Really interested to see where this goes, considering who shows up (another favorite of mine).
Chuck Norris doesn't sleep. He waits...
GreatMoose
GLIB

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:45 pm

That was fun. It was nice seeing the team use their powers for more than just defense some more. And I like that Joss is exploring their abilities. But...

Kingpin? WTF. Not sure what the dif between just knocking over a bank JUST ONCE to get some funds and working for him would be.

But the story was cool, and I am anxious to see the Runaways fuck up another Marvel bad ass like they did Wolverine. And that Angel of Death thing was a great design. WHEEEEEEEEEEEE!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:04 am

worth it alone for Old Lace's scampering along the skyscraper.

I miss Alphona, but Ryan's style will grow on me.

I don't get the "Whedon-ism" tag...BKV loves him some Joss, and from the get-go the series has featured "Whedon-esque" dialogue...not seeing it. I thought Whedo actually toned it down a tad, all things considered.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:24 am

I just posted reviews in the New Comic Wednesday! thread...here is my review for Runaways #25:

Leckomaniac wrote:Runaways #25 - Joss has arrived. And the results? As surprised as I am to say it...kind of lukewarm. For some reason the team just didn't feel right. Something wasn't there. I mean they LOOKED like the Runaways and for the most part they SOUNDED like the Runaways...but it just didn't click. I kept telling my brain that these were the Runaways. My brain just wouldn't listen. An alarm bell kept going off and I am fairly certain it kept repeating "DANGER WILL ROBINSON!" while I was reading this issue. I have faith in Joss. I even have a t-shirt that says "In Joss We Trust" (editors note: no such t-shirt exists) so I am not one to start screaming that the sky is falling...but something just isn't right and it needs to be reconciled. 2/5
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Fri May 18, 2007 7:28 pm

[Sobbing] GERT!! [/sobbing]

Now THAT is a fucking cover - amazing stuff from Alphona, for the Runaways Vol3 hardcover.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri May 18, 2007 7:29 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:Now THAT is a fucking cover - amazing stuff from Alphona

kick ass!

I want a poster of that, badly.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Fri May 18, 2007 7:32 pm

Yeah, that would totally rule.

I might sell my Runaways comics to buy the hardcovers now.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby The Garbage Man on Sun May 20, 2007 3:17 pm

I miss Alphona. :cry:
Ryan's first issue was pretty damn good, but did anyone else feel like the art in #26 was... off? There were a few panels where I confused Victor for Chase and way too many where Chase looked much different than normal. Maybe this is Ryan transitioning from Alphona's style to his own?
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Boll_KG on Sun May 20, 2007 5:48 pm

Damnit! I thought it vas a refenece to der old Tom Selleck film......

Uwe sad.
Uve plays by no-one's rules but his own. You sink you know Uve?....sink again!
Boll_KG
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:31 am

I only just got into Runaways recently, reading the 18-issue TPB. Overall it was a solid story and the art was very decent, but forgive me if these "alternative" superhero stories don't do it much for me anymore. Still I give the book a very solid 8/10 since it's so well done, and probably my mild disenchantment comes from the fact that I've read similar books before I read Runaways, but which had originally been published after Runaways (The Escapist comes to mind).

Still, with X-Force/X-Statix having covered similar territory, and the glory of Watchmen having torn a hole through the space-time continuum of superhero deconstruction, something like Runaways seems charming and although it's of rare and high quality, its story's impact loses some of the oomph that it might've had if I'd not read and adored the aforementioned books.

Where Runaways really shines, though, is in its character development, and Brian K. Vaughan is certainly a master of making you really feel his characters.

8/10 (very good/excellent)
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby DennisMM on Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:07 am

Pacino86845 wrote:Still, with X-Force/X-Statix having covered similar territory, and the glory of Watchmen having torn a hole through the space-time continuum of superhero deconstruction ...

[hysterical, been-up-for 20-hours-with-almost-no-real-food, Sam-Hamm-overexposed giggling]
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:50 am

Heheheh, seriously Dennis isn't it super late/early over there now? You should get some surely well-needed rest and maybe snack on something light before!! Not that it hasn't been a pleasure having you here in The Zone's Euro/West-Coaster Shift, but take care of yourself man!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby DennisMM on Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:18 am

Can't sleep. Somehow missed my night medications. Obviously running a bit manic, eh? The price I pay for losing track of time. No worries; all will balance out in the end.
DennisMM

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:25 am

That's ok man, like I said it's good to see you at this time, I just hope all turns out well!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby DennisMM on Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:28 am

Maybe if I read more Sam Hamm I'll laugh myself to sleep.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:20 am

Terry Moore and Rumberto Ramos will take over Runaways following Whedon!.

Love Terry Moore. Love Terry Moore taking over Spidey Loves Mary Jane + Runaways.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:43 pm

I recently borrowed my friends Vol. 1 hardcover, which was read in an afternoon, because obviously I couldnt put it down. I just purchased the set of 3 Hardcovers on Amazon. I can't wait to delve into the other 2. It was seriously funny writing and great character stuff.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Previous

Return to Comic Books