MOVIES THAT NEED TO BE REMADE

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Postby unikrunk on Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:28 pm

The Vicar wrote:Maximum Overdrive should never have been made in the first place.
A remake?
Please no.
Ever.

But...AC / DC...who made who...

no, you are right.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby happydude3 on Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:17 pm

I think these are solid: The Shining (Kubrick), Carrie (DePalma), Shawshank Redemption, The Dead Zone, and dare I say it? Pet Semetary.

Forgive me friends, but I don't think Stand by Me (or really, any Rob Reiner movie besides Spinal Tap) has aged very well.

And I totally agree a really good version of Salem's Lot would rock.
happydude3
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby moose4787 on Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:14 pm

I would like to see some one do the Dark tower mini-series. But I want HBO to do. I think that that would be great, you could do like 2 weeks for each book. Soit would be right about the leanth of there avrage shows. This would also allow for unknows to be cast. Unless they could somehow manage to go back in time and get a young clint eastwood for the role of Roland
Xbox live profile: Moose4787
moose4787
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby justcheckin on Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:34 pm

I'm a little late but I actually enjoyed The Stand... It might be cool to see it remade. I'd also like to see Insomnia. That was a cool book.
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby Mr. Hyde on Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:56 pm

Maximum Overdrive!! The only film Stephen King has directed.. haha.. they should re-do it.. granted the premise is insane... a comet flies over the earth and all machines come to life?? Saweeet.. i laughed at the synopsis.. and if that isn't enough.. EMILIOOOO is in it.. haha.. god that movie sucks.... sucks so good..
Mr. Hyde
GLIB

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:18 pm

I don't get all the call for another Salem's Lot remake. I mean the recent TNT version was pretty spot on except for the ending surrounding Pere Callahan. Other than that I don't think there is any need for a "gory" version considering the story itslef is hardly "gory".
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby LaDracul on Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:12 pm

Well, Hollywood it seems is remaking two movies I want remakes of ("Flash Gordon" and "Phantom of the Paradise"), and broadway has "Xanadu"...though how would a modern "Xanadu" go? I have a feeling Kira would be on those damn Heelie shoes instead of being the kawaii rollerskater she is...
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby SilentBobX on Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:31 pm

The following:

Supergirl
Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS
Emmanuelle
The Deadly Spawn
The Beast
Chopping Mall
Firestarter

More as I ponder this over some sleep
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby The Vicar on Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:34 pm

They could get Angelina Jolie for the Ilsa remake.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby SilentBobX on Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:07 pm

I was thinking Charlize Theron for Ilsa
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby Lady Sheridan on Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:15 pm

Total chick pick, but I'd love to see a remake of "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir."
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Dark Knight on Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:51 pm

SilentBobX wrote:Chopping Mall

Chopping Mall, do we really need a remake of that? I mean it's not even a great movie to begin with, which I know isn't a requirement for a remake but still. It is a fun movie though, if it is screened like 3 in the morning. Seems it would probably be exactly the same if they remade it, just cooler robots wandering around.
El Wray will find the missing reel, just watch...
Dark Knight
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:52 pm

Dark Knight wrote:
SilentBobX wrote:Chopping Mall

Chopping Mall, do we really need a remake of that? I mean it's not even a great movie to begin with, which I know isn't a requirement for a remake but still. It is a fun movie though, if it is screened like 3 in the morning. Seems it would probably be exactly the same if they remade it, just cooler robots wandering around.

Exactly...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:35 am

fried samurai wrote:Mandingo - this film just begs to be remade by Todd Solondz.While the orginal is contraversial it played out like a TV movie.I'm sure Solondz's version would raise some eyebrows.

Holy crappa... donna mess with a the classic, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Zarles on Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:03 pm

fried samurai wrote:Clones Of Bruce Lee - this flick is cheesy and corny but cmon some dude clones a bunch of Bruce Lee's to fight crime.With the cgi available and someone like Stephen Chow at the helm this film would be a blast.

Directed by the same dudes who did Shaolin Soccer? Sign me up.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:54 pm

Hehehe... just a thought I'd a bump this anna this a thread inna'to a the Top 15, eh?

The funny, she is inna the juxtaposition, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby The Todd on Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:04 pm

Manhunter.

Oh wait.....
i reject your reality and substitute my own
The Todd
AIRWOLF

Postby Orcus on Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:15 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:
MiltonWaddams wrote:Explain the 'great concepts' in the Phantom Menace. I'm a Star Wars freshman, frankly I just don't see them.

Well, Darth Vader's arc in the prequels is beautiful storytelling. It'd just need to be cleaned up a little more. Also, the slow machinations of an evil genius manipulating his way into power always make for good cinema.

I love the prequels, but I'll admit they could've been stronger.

Oddly enough the outline has been in the novelization of Star Wars since the first printing in 1976 so folks really shouldn't act too shocked that it was going to be more political. The fall off the Jedi basically came about by Palpatine/Sidious, playing the Jedi and separatists against one another and letting attrition do the work for him. All the while giving him the perfect excuse to build his powerbase to the point where he could pick off 2 weakened opponents. Political as hell and you really had to pay attention to things. No wonder folks had a problem with it

Personally, they should have mirrored the Fall of Anakin with the Rise of Palpatine a bit more to illustrate the symbiotic themes that were mentioned in the first movie.

The first two movies could use a few nip and tuck as illustrated the plethora of fan edits that came out. A few judicial edits of TPM and the "translation" and added subtitles to the Gungans and Nimoidians made it a lot more palatable. For a listing of the different edits you might direct your attention over to http://www.originaltrilogy.com/. It would also help if you were savy on the ways of Usenet where in alt.binaries.starwars they are posted
Last edited by Orcus on Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Where's you're God noooooow???!!"
Orcus
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Fawst on Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:34 pm

Can I please get my Krull remake?
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tvmakesyougod on Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:22 pm

I really think they should remake Screamers and actually have it called Second Variety. It seems that the source material was really good, but the execution wasnt very good, not that I am opposed to giving Peter Weller work.
tvmakesyougod
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:32 pm

tvmakesyougod wrote:I really think they should remake Screamers and actually have it called Second Variety. It seems that the source material was really good, but the execution wasnt very good, not that I am opposed to giving Peter Weller work.

as the resident Dick buff round these parts, I gotta disagree.

aside from a few niggling details, SCREAMERS is one of the better PKD adaptations and a pretty good sci-fi B flick to boot. Extremely faithful to the source material, right down to PKD's cynicism and eternal questioning of the machine/man ethics and dichotomy.

What would you have done differently, or how did you find it lacking?

Yeah, Duguay is a h@ck (SCREAMERS is by far his best flick), but O'Bannon is a pretty fun, schlocky writer, and unlike TOTAL RECALL, which while being a jaunty action fest and Arnie spectacle dovetailed from PKD's "We Can Remember it For You Wholesale" in significant ways, the adaptation of "Second Variety" was fairly on the nose. Certainly the most slavishly faithful PKD adaptation at the time of it's release, which isn't really saying much as only "Wholesale" and "Do Androids Dream..." were the only others at the time, but still, Dick buffers like myself rejoiced it at the time of it's release.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:30 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:Dick buffers like myself

heh heh heh

you know, i always had whedon pegged as one of those.

but you?
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:59 pm

Robot Monster.

'Cause the original wasn't very good.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby walterjack on Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:40 am

A Face in the Crowd.

It was drama that pretty much showed very early in his career that good ol' boy Andy Griffith could play a nasty SOB.

The story is about a guy who hosts a Hee Haw type music show, but his folksome ways hide a devious manipulative mind, especially when the good ol' boy (Griffith) gets a politician or well-heeled influential person on as a guest...

A lot of what Fox News (or Noise) does and talk radio does to manipulate their audiences into their conspiracy that all other mass media is tainted and that anyone left of the far right is subversive can be seen in this film. Shades of McCarthyism... so it would be timely.

Oh, and on the Superman II thing, didn't they just release a new version that supposedly is Donner's version?

JC
walterjack
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:41 am

The day the earth stood still.... apparently...
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby Doc Holliday on Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:50 am

I'm holding on for that Shawshank remake...
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby silentbobafett on Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:51 am

The Day the Earth Stood Still... :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby Doc Holliday on Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:54 am

Ah Boba - still living off that 'Copy a joke from the other page and claim it as my own' routine eh?

thebostonlocksmith only two posts earlier wrote:The day the earth stood still.... apparently...
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby silentbobafett on Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:16 am

damn it... stop being so observant!!!!!!!!! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby Orcus on Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:38 am

Doc Holliday wrote:Ah Boba - still living off that 'Copy a joke from the other page and claim it as my own' routine eh?

thebostonlocksmith only two posts earlier wrote:The day the earth stood still.... apparently...

In that case, Remake 2001. 8)
Orcus
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby silentbobafett on Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:20 am

In that case, Remake 2001 8)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:19 am

Hehehe... putz.
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Orcus on Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:44 am

Putz? Me? Nawwwww

@sshole maybe, but not putz 8)
Orcus
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Flumm on Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:12 pm

Slaughterhouse Five really deserves a modern take, or at least something representational to the the qualities on the page.

Whether it be Gilliam, Gondry, a plucky up n' comer, or any of the other obvious takers. The original adaption is an admirable attempt, to be sure, but there's reason for it to have fallen through the cultural cracks...

The material is so very, very ripe for an a rich retelling up on screen, I would say. I, anyway, would be anxiously awaiting to see what would become of it should that particular celluloidic event be heading our way.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:17 pm

Flumm wrote:Slaughterhouse Five really deserves a modern take, or at least something representational to the the qualities on the page.

Whether it be Gilliam, Gondry, a plucky up n' comer, or any of the other obvious takers. The original adaption is an admirable attempt, to be sure, but there's reason for it to have fallen through the cultural cracks...

The material is so very, very ripe for an a rich retelling up on screen, I would say. I, anyway, would be anxiously awaiting to see what would become of it should that particular celluloidic event be heading our way.

Wow. I really loved the original, it's gold, GOLD! :shock: Although I've not read the book. I think someone like Milos Forman would be good or Peter Weir or even Mad Malick (as I like to call him).
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Flumm on Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:12 pm

I know, I know.

:roll:

I recall your excitement way back when, your tail wagging. Or curling. Flexing. Whatever. I might have made that bit up. Anyway, I think, techincally, by the binding powers of your magical-monkyishness I should have written a review of it for you somewheres too, no?

Damn my procrasational ways.

:oops:

Still, I lliked it too, MM.

It had a gentle humour to it, and a poignancy. Which is no mean feat and very much in the the flick's favour when all the possible outcomes are considered, yet, to my wonky eyes, not quite with the same harmony as the book...

You and I might find it's earthly (and not so earthly) charms in the favourable, but the movie itself has quite definately dropped off the cultural radar, and I can't help but see why...

Allowing for the strengths of the movie, it's recognisable how slight the film feels. It feels bare and underserved in terms of production and craftsmanship. It has a homecrafted, flimsyness to it, which the likes of us might lap up, or pretentiously quaff acoordingly, yet it's all to easy to equate with it's near demise on the landscape...

And, I would say, makes it ripe for those with the requisites and will to to do, give it some tender loving celluloid...

Oh, and you should check out the nontalky... the inky... the paperwordywords...

You should read the book.

Really, check it out, I think you would appreciate it very much...

EDIT: I would also love to see a Weir or Malick settle down witih this. Close call, but I think Weird would handle the humour/poignancy quota very well, I think...
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:31 pm

Will do Flummage old chap. The film is what it is, without the whizz bang of spectacle and features a quite possibly dated futuristic scene. To me it captured a very personal account, sure it dealt with large themes, but it remained within the personal. Its falling off the cultural radar is nothing more than its age and a lacking relevance of history for people... I mean who knows much about Dresden anyway? Let alone the shock and awe of its bombing. Why see that when you can watch some nice fresh Baghdad bombing?

For an old film it's got clout, it brings you straight into the surreal action from the very start, immersing you in such atmospheric strange, yet quite real, conditions. As war films go, it's in my top 5 aided by that very personal biographic touch which brings a whole life into the context of war not soley the precise time and event of it. The clever thing is that its very surreal narrative structure is born out of trauma. Damn, I want to watch it again now.

EDIT: HAHA! My dream would be Forman, but then it would possibly remain little changed from the Hill version.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Cha-Ka Khan on Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:39 am

Wow, it's creepy that you guys were discussing this a few hours before the news of Vonnegut's death broke.

I really love this film, and the book as well. I think the film probably did the best job that was possible at the time on adapting the novel for the screen... I don't necessarily mean the FX work and stuff... more just the general tone to take for a film adaptation. It has so many great moments and performances, especially Ron Leibman as Paul Lazzaro, and Billy's wife's frantic drive to the hospital. I also love the way Montana Wildhack's character is scattered throughout the film, until the glorious conclusion.

And you guys are right on the money about this film falling off the cultural radar, although it happened very quickly... within a decade of it's release probably.
Cha-Ka Khan
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:53 am

Its a real shame it has fallen off as with much of George Roy Hill movies and I've loved each one I've seen. He was the Wes Anderson of his time perhaps. Am now on a mission to Vonnegut and Roy Hill it for awhile.

Thanks Cha-Ka for reminding me of some more great moments from that movie, watching it was just one of those times where a film (watched late at night) really grabbed me by the balls, involved me, welcomed me and made me feel at home. Damn fine stuff.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby LaDracul on Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:30 pm

Okay, I know it's being remade, but here it is in detail...what I'd do to "Phantom of the Paradise"-

Windslow (Noel Fielding) and Swann (Julian Barratt) were both friends in school. While Windslow had talent, Swann didn't. A few years later, they've both gone to Los Angeles to make it in the business, but Swann comes out on top as a Simon Cowell-like music producer and Windslow is still trying to make it as a songwriter/librettist. Windslow doesn't get it...there has to be some reason why Swann has gotten ahead.

So he decides to crash an audition at Swann's label, Death Records. There he meets Phoenix (Kristen Bell), a lovely girl with a beautiful voice. Windslow falls in love, but Phoenix meets someone else at the audition-Eagle (JRM), an aspiring singer. Phoenix and Eagle make a connection.

When Phoenix is asked to audition, Swann makes several advances on her. She responds by slapping him and walking out. He then becomes enamored of her as well. Meanwhile, Windslow has found a surprising document after breaking into Swann's computer. He is then found out and taken back, where his face is burned and he's beaten to death. Losing his grip on sanity, he runs into the theater across the street-The Paradise. He grabs a silver mask for the scarred side of his face and goes all VKon us.

During this time, Swann has hired Derrick Mont Blanc, an egotistical rock star (Robbie Williams) to headline Windslow's show...one he's passing off as his own. But Phantom won't stand for it. He's sending threatening messages via text to this guy, and when that doesn't work, he's going to do it in person. Even when Derrick demands to have the show canceled, the director refuses and he goes on...getting electrocuted by a fallen light. It's now Phoenix's time to be in the spotlight. Everyone loves her, and is soon after signed to Death Records, which Eagle feels is very suspicious, considering how Swann acted towards her. As she's leaving, she's confronted by Phantom. He tells her that she has to stay away from Swann. She agrees, and then Eagle comes out to get her. Phantom is enraged and storms off.

At a Halloween masquerade, Eagle proposes to Phoenix in secret. Everything is going well until Phantom shows up (As battle-scarred Gatchaman Phantom) and blackmails Swann into producing his next show. He then charms Phoenix away into his lair, where a jealous Eagle sneaks back to follow her.

Phantom tells Phoenix why he wanted her to stay away from Swann. He's sold his soul to the devil so he can have his heart's desire...only he has to kill one person every year or he'll be consumed into hell. She can't believe it, but (offscreen) he takes off his mask. Eagle is listening intently to the two and plans to take Phoenix away before Swann could get her. But Eagle is found out. He thinks Phoenix is in love with Phantom, and he walks out on her.

The next day, however, Swann finds out that Phoenix knows the dark secret. He blackmails her into marrying him, saying he'll spare her and kill Phantom instead. So at the performance wedding, both Phantom and Eagle go to her rescue. Phantom strikes Swann in the heart, as well as Swann striking Phantom in the heart. Swann turns into a rotting corpse and is swallowed into hell. Phantom is dying in Phoenix's arms. He asks her to take off his mask to see the real him. Just Windslow, who took something too far for a woman he barely knew. As he closes his eyes, Eagle takes Phoenix's hand and they walk out of the theater amongst the patrons, who have no idea what had really gone on here.

Yes, I changed it from the original. Then again, that was severely changed from the original...but hell, I had to tiptoe around the whole Phil Spector deal for the most part. And also the fact that I thought it was pretty lame that they had her falling in love with the bad guy. The three men competing for Christine, however, was used in the '43 version, so it's not a new idea. Besides, was "House of Wax" a direct remake? Or "Thir13en Ghosts"?

I'm also thinking maybe the trio of Bill Hader, Jason Sudekis and Andy Samberg could be the trio that shows up throughout the film...that would be an interesting homage...

Meh, I think I'd rather wait until some Fox exec sees this and asks me about it...like it'll ever happen. -mope- I dunno, if they screw it up, they'd have another "Supercross-The Movie" on their hands...

P.S. I don't think I chose JRM JUST BECAUSE he was in "Velvet Goldmine"...

However, it turns out Robbie Williams IS a Phan.

Also, band in the VK photo: Due Le Quartz

Yeah, you can rag on me...though you have to keep in mind things have changed in 36 years...

EDIT-I think I'm going to torture you all with my character theme songs ala "Bleach" someday...
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby bastard_robo on Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:13 pm

BIG MONEY HUSTLAS!

Give ICP some money to remake this! Dont care, but the original was funny as hell, if ICP had more money it could of been great!

"weres my motherfuckin money?"
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby bastard_robo on Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:25 pm

While we're on it.. I would love to see a modern remake of this flick!

One of my Fav. Toho Films of all time!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Chilli on Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:33 pm

Raging Bull - Uwe Boll.

Lets see what he can do with critically acclaimed properties.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Re: MOVIES THAT NEED TO BE REMADE

Postby LaDracul on Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:57 pm

bastard_robo wrote:While we're on it.. I would love to see a modern remake of this flick!

Uh, what are they supposed to be? Bigfoot and the Yeti?
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:03 pm

LaDracul wrote:
bastard_robo wrote:While we're on it.. I would love to see a modern remake of this flick!

Psuedo-Sequel to Frankenstein Conquers the World....War of the Gargantuas.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby LaDracul on Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:17 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
LaDracul wrote:[quote="bastard_robo" ]While we're on it.. I would love to see a modern remake of this flick!

Psuedo-Sequel to Frankenstein Conquers the World....War of the Gargantuas.[/quote]

I think I saw some of that one...so Jp. Frankenstein is growing due to radiation...man, they made some weird s--t in the '60s...
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:20 pm

The Frankenstein monster's heart is transported to Hiroshima via a German U-boat near the end of WWII in the hopes that Japanese scientists can make a new monster....Before they can Hiroshima is A-Bombed and the heart grows into a giant Frankenstein monster.....The sequel is two pieces of the destroyed monster grow into the above gargantuas.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby LaDracul on Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:23 pm

Well, that explains the flat heads...
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby Wolfpack on Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:54 pm

The Best Years of Our Lives, only they're coming home from Operation Iraqi Freedom.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby LaDracul on Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:25 pm

I haven't seen this one (As there's no r1 DVD of it...DAMMIT!), but it's obvious because I love Victorian Vamp movies-

Vampire Circus

FYI-The hot open-shirted vamp boy in the beginning? Robin Sachs, who played Ethan Raynes on "Buffy the Vampire Slayer".

And I really hope Hammer does remake this...reeeaaalllyyy hope.
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion