Silversun Pickups

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Silversun Pickups

Postby Vegeta on Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:10 pm

I just picked up Silversun Pickups album "Carnavas". Very good stuff, they give me a total Smashing Pumpkins vibe.
Don't let their odd name turn you off, these are some pretty good tunes. 8)
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:17 pm

Nice one! Loike it.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:30 pm

Me too! I saw them live in Seattle a few weeks ago with Wolfmother. They were very solid live, not mindblowing but a very solid live performance.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:57 pm

I love this band. I put them in my 2006 top ten list, and NO ONE CARED! Now they get their own thread? Wankers.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Vegeta on Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:11 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:I love this band. I put them in my 2006 top ten list, and NO ONE CARED! Now they get their own thread? Wankers.

:shock:

Just spreading the love... 8)
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby tvmakesyougod on Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:34 pm

Yeah they are good stuff. Carnavas is a very good album. There is just a cool mid-ninties thing about them.
tvmakesyougod
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Ribbons on Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:56 pm

I don't know much about Silversun Pickups, but I am a big fan of both the song and video "Lazy Eye," which has been doing the rounds on those hippity-hoppity music channels.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:25 pm

Ribbons wrote:"Lazy Eye,"

holy crap, that's them?

heard it on the radio the other day and could've sworn it was from some indie act of the early to mid-90's that I had slept on.

HOLY CRAP X's 2!

that's a guy singing?!?! Sure, the song kinda lacks ballz (not really a put down, 'tis a good track and all, but we're doing retro-90's kitsch now?) but jeez...

HOLY CRAP X's 3!

that chick is teh hot!
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:45 am

I like Lazy Eye, but I kinda prefer Well Thought Out Twinkles and Little Lover's So Polite.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:01 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:we're doing retro-90's kitsch now?) but jeez...

If by redoing 90s kitsch, you mean being all rock/pop like and utilizing influences from the 70s, 80s and yes even the 90s, then yeah.

You should just admit you don't like anything close to pop, unless I am assuming its really ARCANE pop, but that would just be an oxymoron.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:17 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:If by redoing 90s kitsch, you mean being all rock/pop like and utilizing influences from the 70s, 80s and yes even the 90s, then yeah.

well, with all the comparisons they've gotten to Smashing Pumpkins (90's), the fact that the tracks I've heard remind me of bands like Urge Overkill (90's), aspects of the Flaming Lips "Transmissions from the Satellite Heart" (90's), aspects of Mazzy Star (90's), Weezer (90's) and a bunch of other acts 90's acts that I thought I detected elements of. Yes, obviously, any 90's sound from any band of that period would of course be influenced by the years preceding, but while I haven't listened to every song by your obviously beloved Silversun Pickups, what I've heard reminded me of the 90's indie/alternative rock approach of incorporating previous genre tropes into one mash of (relatively) new sound.

Didn't mean to offend, and sorry if I did. Frankly, after your recommendation I figured I wouldn't dig 'em, but I (kinda) do, so thanks for the original shout-out.

burlivesleftnut wrote:You should just admit you don't like anything close to pop, unless I am assuming its really ARCANE pop, but that would just be an oxymoron.

hmmm, well, I said I liked the track (which I do) and while it may be fair to say I don't grok to current pop sounds, a significant portion of my music would certainly be categorized as pop.

120 songs or so of Girl Group Sounds, more Motown than DREAMGIRLS (admittedly, that's not saying much), my 80's staples, my adoration of 80's-early 90's Madge...

I know what you're getting at with the "ARCANE pop" being an oxymoron, but, to me, pop music is a SOUND, an ideology an artist consciously strives for and has fuck all to do with popularity, with how many units are shipped or who paid who off to get that oh so precious radio play.

That's an interesting debate in and of itself, so thanks for brining it up.

eta: yeah, I meant bringing, but since I detected a fair bit of saltiness in your reply, brining stands!
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:37 pm

i used to really dig Urge Overkill.

hated em at first, but they really grew on me.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:00 pm

We should coin a new term for non-pop-pop.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:38 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:We should coin a new term for non-pop-pop.

my tags on i-tunes include "electro-pop", "alterna-pop", "indie-pop", "hip-pop", and "psych-pop".

but I'm not an anal retentive cuntmuscle when it comes to such things.*

*fuck, I guess I am!
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Silversun Pickups

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:18 pm

New album, Swoon, out April 14.

One track called Panic Switch is now playing on their myspace page

I like it. Can't wait to hear more.
Lord Voldemoo

Re: Silversun Pickups

Postby Ribbons on Tue May 26, 2009 10:51 am

Yeah, I like that song too Moo, just heard it the other day. I'm also digging on the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG8fugqFn9Q
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Return to Music