WKRP on DVD

Betamax and beyond

WKRP on DVD

Postby sonnyboo on Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:21 pm

OFFICIAL CONFIRMATION OF SUCKAGE:

http://www.startribune.com/459/story/1131165.html

Some of the changes:

• The Ted Nugent rocker that DJ Dr. Johnny Fever (Howard Hesseman) plays when WKRP changes from an easy-listening format has been replaced by an unknown guitar-driven piece.

• A running gag in which the doorbell of high-maintenance secretary Jennifer Marlowe (St. Paul-born Loni Anderson) plays "Fly Me to the Moon" is gone now that the brief melody has been replaced.

• A conversation in which boss Mr. Carlson (Gordon Jump) and Johnny discuss the merits of Pink Floyd was cut along with the band's song "Dogs."

-=-=-=-=-=--=-

TURKEY'S AWAY, the infamous Thanksgiving episode minus the setup of Dr. Johnny Fever playing Pink Floyd's album ANIMALS might as well be tossed away. This sucks a lot. If they couldn't get SOME of the music, why bother?
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby buster00 on Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:57 pm

Reason enough for me.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:20 pm

"I honestly thought turkeys could fly..."

Man I really wanna see this again
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:51 pm

Clear Channel should pay for the music licensing as penance.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby sonnyboo on Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:47 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:Clear Channel should pay for the music licensing as penance.

brilliant! :D :D
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby sonnyboo on Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:51 pm

I bought this. I had a credit for $15 at Best Buy & I went ahead and bought the abomination of WKRP without it's original music.

You know what? It wasn't that bad without the source music. Of course it's not better or even as good, but the bulk of what I truly loved - the characters and writing, was still there. The replaced music is not so offensive or out of place to kill the funny.

I miss the PINK FLOYD conversation, and singularly, the sound of "Fly Me to the Moon" as Jennifer's door chime, but overall it's still a worthwhile set of episodes.
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby Vegeta on Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:18 pm

They cut that stuff, seriously? I would think that the sales of the DVD and the money they've made for years of syndication would more than make up for the miniscule amount they'd have to pay for the rights to the songs.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:34 pm

Vegeta wrote:the miniscule amount they'd have to pay for the rights to the songs.

Are you serious? Rights to the music on that show would be anything but minuscule.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby sonnyboo on Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:15 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
Vegeta wrote:the miniscule amount they'd have to pay for the rights to the songs.

Are you serious? Rights to the music on that show would be anything but minuscule.

Exactly. They had tunes from Pink Floyd, Ted Nugent, The Rolling Stone, Foreigner, and tons of other top 70's & 80's rockers. This music is worth waaaaaayyyy more than it was in 1978-1982. Plus, the show was shot on VIDEO so they had to pay a lower rate for the source music (at the time, broadcast shows originating on FILM got charged more money for the use of music and broadcast). The contracts clearly stated solely for broadcast usage of the music, so the musicians would NOT charge less even for a show they love. Plus not all of them own the publishing rights, so the holders there want their money too.

The cost would have been astronomical (Hollywood Reporter estimated the DVD's would have been the most expensive licensing in DVD history).
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Return to DVD / Blu-ray