TERMINATOR: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

TERMINATOR: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Postby Peven on Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:26 am

yeah, thats right, THAT Sarah Conner. here is the whole story as run over at comingsoon.net

"
Source: Variety

Warner Bros. TV has set David Nutter to direct the pilot for "The Sarah Connor Chronicles," prompting Fox Broadcasting to officially greenlight production on the "Terminator"-themed project.

Nutter, whose last 12 pilots have all been picked up to series, also will serve as executive producer. Andy Vajna and Mario Kassar's C2 Pictures, which produced the most recent "Terminator" feature, is producing with Warner Bros. TV.

Fox made a put pilot commitment to "Connor" last fall, picking up the script from executive producer Josh Friedman (War of the Worlds). Kassar and Vajna will also executive produce.

Casting on "Connor" will begin immediately, with filming expected to commence early next year in New Mexico.

Nutter -- who directed the pilots of successes such as "Smallville," "Without a Trace" and "Supernatural" -- has a connection with original "Terminator" helmer James Cameron, having directed the pilot for Cameron's Fox series "Dark Angel."

The new installment in the "Terminator" franchise revolves around Connor and her savior son, John Connor. The series will explore what happened to Sarah Connor after the end of Terminator 2: Judgment Day, when the character went on the run."

i don't know. no Terminator? take out that element and what is there left? a paranoid single mother living "off the grid" with her teenage son? sounds more like a Lifetime network series than a sci-fi action/adventure story that i would be into watching.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:35 am

Bring BACK LINDA HAMILTON!!!!!111

havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:50 am

Wow. Another unoriginal idea to a conclusion that we already know about. Prequel prequel, fucking fucking prequel.

Can't anyone invest such creative and physical time and effort into something more worthwhile?

Fucking SW TV series disease.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:57 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Wow. Another unoriginal idea to a conclusion that we already know about. Prequel prequel, fucking fucking prequel.

Can't anyone invest such creative and physical time and effort into something more worthwhile?

I'm gonna make a prequel to something that doesn't exist...

It'll focus on the years leading up to nothing...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:04 am

havocSchultz wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Wow. Another unoriginal idea to a conclusion that we already know about. Prequel prequel, fucking fucking prequel.

What's that, all the wilderness years of you jacking off to Kay's Couture catelogues and Katie Fey websites, to you actually having sex?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby The Vicar on Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:30 am

havocSchultz wrote:

Ah, a biopic about the Bush Presidency.
Too soon?
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby austenandrews on Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:20 am

Is this supposed to ignore T3? A series based on the rise of the machines could be cool, but we already know how it goes down.
Gordian Algebra, my new webcomic
austenandrews
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:24 am

I would be more interested in the character's time between the first two films wherein a preggers Sarah runs off to Mexico and starts learning everything she knows from paramilitary whackos. You could still have a Terminator after her as well (just retcon it like the third film).
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:58 am

Terminator 3 basically seemed to say that after the events of Terminator 2, Sarah Conner sat around waiting to see if Judgement Day would happen on 29th August 1997 - then died when it didn't.

Sounds wicked.

As Chairman Kaga says above, a more interesting story would be seeing how she got from preggers to psych patient.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:01 am

I think it has at least the possibilities of The Young Indiana Jones, but I found that pretty dull.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby MonsieurReynard on Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:05 pm

What's that gurgling sound? Yup, pop culture is once again eating itself...
Reynard City is back! Find out what the heck is going on at http://www.ecswebdesign.co.uk/wip/reynardcity/

*Free copy of Issue 1 *Reynard City Stories *An Audience With AK Girl and more...
MonsieurReynard
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby monorail77 on Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:08 pm

Um, I think it sounds pretty cool, if handled right.

(*ducks*)
"All we have is language; that's the one tool that enables us to grasp hold of our lives and transcend our fate by understanding it."
-Harlan Ellison

monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby so sorry on Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:57 pm

the biggest issue i have with this concept is that ultimately we know the outcome...
wehre would the suspense come from then?

Oh no, Sarah and little John are being chased by the (fill in the blank) guys! I wonder if they'll get away! Wait, i KNOW they will get away...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby The Vicar on Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:07 pm

so sorry wrote:the biggest issue i have with this concept is that ultimately we know the outcome...

Oh no, Sarah and little John are being chased by the (fill in the blank) guys! I wonder if they'll get away! Wait, i KNOW they will get away...

Sort of bleeds out all the suspense, doesn't it?

Sadly, tv's track record of handling things like this ( see Kolchak) is far from promising.
The Vicar

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:11 pm

Please tell me that this is just an off hand idea that was off hand mentioned or some vague proposal to actually make this happen. Don't tell me that it's announced as being definite.

'Cos it sounds like nothing more than a silly idea that someone did nothing more than casually talk about.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby The Vicar on Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:13 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Please tell me that this is just an off hand idea that was off hand mentioned or some vague proposal to actually make this happen. Don't tell me that it's announced as being definite.

'Cos it sounds like nothing more than a silly idea that someone did nothing more than casually talk about.

That's how network telly rolls in the colonies.

Sux ass doesn't start to cover it.

At least the emmys had a few high notes this year....

( 24!!!!! Keifer!!!! Booyeah!!!! )
The Vicar

Postby monorail77 on Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:13 pm

so sorry wrote:the biggest issue i have with this concept is that ultimately we know the outcome...

This reminds me, I just watched "The Great Escape" last night for the first time. Excellent movie. But, at the beginning, a caption reads that the story is true, that some characters are composites, but that the details of the escape are exactly as they happened. So, here's a movie about a prison camp in WW2 Germany, called "The Great Escape" that tells you at the beginning that tyhe prisoners escape. Yet, it was great and full of tension. If handled well, "Conner" could be just as good.
monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby ONeillSG1 on Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:28 pm

Ultimately she dies. Where's the series in that? How long can you stretch it out until you realize she's a goner?
Last edited by ONeillSG1 on Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby so sorry on Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:35 pm

monorail77 wrote:

This reminds me, I just watched "The Great Escape" last night for the first time. Excellent movie. But, at the beginning, a caption reads that the story is true, that some characters are composites, but that the details of the escape are exactly as they happened. So, here's a movie about a prison camp in WW2 Germany, called "The Great Escape" that tells you at the beginning that tyhe prisoners escape. Yet, it was great and full of tension. If handled well, "Conner" could be just as good.

i don't think its the same at all... you didn't know in the beginning of the film who was going to escape or not, or whether the escape was ultimately going to be successful. It was susspense full becuase you were rooting for the escapees without knowing whether or not they were going to make it.

I'm certainly not opposed to the Conner show, i just don't think that it will hold my interest due to the know outcome of the whole Termintaor universe.

PS Great Escape is one of the best movies EVAR!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby ONeillSG1 on Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:39 pm

so sorry wrote:Great Escape is one of the best movies EVAR!

Yes, but unless you have the ability to raise the dead or travel back in time to give Steve McQueen a role in this dreck, then what's the point of even bothering with trying to capture the same feel?
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:40 pm

if they do this, they oughta make it like a one-woman A-Team. she rolls into town, takes down some random bad guys with her commando training, all while eluding the Cyberdyne dudes that are chasing her down. and when it's all over, she chomps down on her cigar, smiles into the camera and says "i love it when a plan comes together!"
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Al Shut on Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:48 pm

Knowing the outcome is not that horrible, it happens with a lot if adaptions or stuff where you just know that it's not inventive enough to suprise you.

If this ever gets made and sol to Germany I'll be checking it out.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby tfactor on Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:51 pm

It seems anything apocalyptic is being worked at this point, I suppose the battle of man vs machine has struck gold in the past and wouldn't make for horrible tv but WAR seems to be way to popular a trend right now. Unless of course someone's going to make McCammon's Swan Song into a movie or TV series - that would rule!

I know I've said it a hundred times but some one really needs to get a good director and throw that project at them, and do it with all no name actors to keep the cost down if you need to. the story is enough to carry interest, you certainly don't need some $58mil douche who believes in scientology as your lead thats for sure.

alright back on topic!

good point oneill, she is dead meat anway. but I think the events leading up to and including the huge war from Terminator could be interesting and I would probably watch.
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Re: Sarah Conner tv series in the works

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:02 pm

Peven wrote:i don't know. no Terminator? take out that element and what is there left? a paranoid single mother living "off the grid" with her teenage son? sounds more like a Lifetime network series than a sci-fi action/adventure story that i would be into watching.

QFT
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby austenandrews on Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:15 pm

It's not the fact that she dies and John lives that limits the show. It's that the show would need to exploit the promise of the heroes fighting machines, and we already know the fairly limited scope of that in T3. I suppose there's various bits in T3 that could be retro-extrapolated, but the whole thing would have to be kept under the radar (or else break from T3 continuity, which might not be so bad all in all).
austenandrews
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:43 pm

MAKE A FUCKING MOVIE ABOUT THE WAR OF THE MACHINE'S ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stop fucking around showing us a bit here, a bit there in shitty little montages or a crappy wasteful TV series.

JUST DO THE MOVIE!!!!! ARE YOU GUYS THICK!!!!!!!???????????

FUCKING CLONE WARS TV SERIES AND NOT A MOVIE. FUCKING HELL!!!!!!!!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby austenandrews on Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:02 pm

I would definitely pay money to see an army of robotic Schwarzeneggers cresting a hill. The political satire possibilities alone make it worthwhile.
austenandrews
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:17 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:MAKE A FUCKING MOVIE ABOUT THE WAR OF THE MACHINE'S ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why? That's frankly the most boring part of the story.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:26 pm

havocSchultz wrote:

I have been living this dream for years....
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:09 pm

Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:42 pm

she. is. fine.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby justcheckin on Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:52 pm

This sounds pretty cool... I'm in.

:)
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat May 19, 2007 3:20 pm

SARAH CONNOR TV SERIES ALREADY HAS CLIPS AVAILABLE!!!

This all looks exciting and well done stuff I admit.

More Terminators, action, explosions, car chases, human drama. Apocalypse Fear.

So DO ONE and click to see more!

I originally didn't think this was a worthwhile and needed idea and I still stand by my apprehension of this, though I am more keen on it from what I have seen. Still looks like a repetition of movies before it though.

Anyway, Lena Heady looks like a great fit for the role and matches Linda Hamilton's look nicely. John Connor looks well cast, and there's one damn hot chick that turns out - not to be a chick!! But still fights naked though! Heh, I'll get my boxing gloves on right now - but nothing else.

Anyway go and check this out guys. It does look inviting I have to say.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby lyra belacqua on Sat May 19, 2007 4:48 pm

Call me a sucker, but I am so in for this show.
lyra belacqua
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Lady Sheridan on Sat May 19, 2007 4:52 pm

Me too. Plus I have a girl crush on Lena Headey.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Terminator on Sun May 20, 2007 1:15 am

"Come with me if you wanna live!" - Awful.

I did like the shot of the explosion exposing the T-800's endoskeleton.
Terminator
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby lyra belacqua on Mon May 21, 2007 4:55 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:Me too. Plus I have a girl crush on Lena Headey.

Me too! And I have always had that slightly inappropriate crush on the character of John Conner. I was relieved when he was older in T3 (a movie I loved, btw). And the fact that it was Nick Stahl helped a whole lot.
lyra belacqua
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:51 pm

The pre-air critic release is currently doing the rounds on various torrent sites. I haven't seen it yet, but most reviews seem to think it disappointing but not as bad as it could have been.

However, changes are already being made:

On July 23, 2007, the BBC reported that certain parts of the pilot, involving a Terminator posing as a teacher attacking John at school, would be changed following the shooting at Virginia Tech. Fox Entertainment chairman Peter Liguori could not say what the new version would be.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6911606.stm
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:57 pm

lyra belacqua wrote:

Me too!

:shock: I can't believe that this post killed the thread for two months. Does anyone here have a beating heart?
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby minstrel on Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:59 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:
lyra belacqua wrote:

Me too!

:shock: I can't believe that this post killed the thread for two months. Does anyone here have a beating heart?

Those posts didn't exactly kill the thread. But how do you improve on them?
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:29 pm

Fried Gold wrote:The pre-air critic release is currently doing the rounds on various torrent sites. I haven't seen it yet, but most reviews seem to think it disappointing but not as bad as it could have been.

However, changes are already being made:

On July 23, 2007, the BBC reported that certain parts of the pilot, involving a Terminator posing as a teacher attacking John at school, would be changed following the shooting at Virginia Tech. Fox Entertainment chairman Peter Liguori could not say what the new version would be.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6911606.stm

I think that's the only thing they are changing unless critical reaction is that bad they feel like they need to do more.

They have until January to fix it I believe.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Quiet Storm on Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:19 am

I liked it a lot. I'm not expecting much, but I think the Firefly/Buffy crowd can get behind it, although there isn't much humor.
Quiet Storm
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby The Vicar on Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:39 am

Is this still going ahead or what?

In the right hands, this could be promising.
The Vicar

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:45 am

The Vicar wrote:Is this still going ahead or what?

In the right hands, this could be promising.

Read above - the pilot's done, some changes are being made before it's broadcast, mixed opinions so far.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:17 am

I just don't know. How many times can they be attacked by Terminators before it becomes, even for an SF concept, played out? I wasn't strongly behind T2 and I found the mere idea of T3 ridiculous -- they were obvious continuity implants. With this series it seems John has been fighting Terminators all through puberty. Why doesn't he manage to prevent Judgment Day? Or are they just going to ignore the T3 continuity?

Also, going way back to the first post in this thread: "Source: Variety

The new installment in the "Terminator" franchise revolves around Connor and her savior son, John Connor. The series will explore what happened to Sarah Connor after the end of Terminator 2: Judgment Day, when the character went on the run."

But she didn't. They destroyed the T-1000 and settled down to live normal lives. This is what we're told in the original ending to T2. John became a senator and Sarah lived to see her grandchildren grow up in a peaceful world.

Whatever.
DennisMM

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:31 am

Unless they forgo the actual Terminators angle and just go full steam ahead with a 'desperate houswives'/ 'Ugly Betty' type deal of a lady bringing up a child as a single parent... all the while reminiscing about the one off experience with 'That robot from the future'...

Sarah Conner is preparing a fruit and fudge smoothie, she activates the blend button only to realise that she has forgotten to put the lid on... The mess of liquidised fruit and fudge goes all over her...

John Conner "Oh mother, what's happened????"
Sarah conner "Don't worry son, it was just that damn machine... oh wait i said, machi....hahahaha"
John Conner "Yes mother i thought it was FUDGEment day!!! hahahahah"

The first and final episode concludes with Sarah and John guffawing heartily...

The end...
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:36 am

I'm smiling and groaning at the same time, boston. Ouch, that's awful.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:38 am

It really took it out of me both writing that and thinking of that...

It's like roseanne but for Terminator fans...

and it was kinda the point.... glad you liked it... :wink:
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:43 am

thebostonlocksmith wrote:It really took it out of me both writing that and thinking of that...

roseanne? as in, dan and roseanne CONNOR!?!?

i smell a crossover opportunity!
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:55 am

TheBaxter wrote:[quote="thebostonlocksmith" ]It really took it out of me both writing that and thinking of that...

roseanne? as in, dan and roseanne CONNOR!?!?

i smell a crossover opportunity![/quote]

That's fookin' excellent... I didn't even think of that...

It could be called, and bare with me on this one for the subtle reference...

"The worst programme ever made" clever and concise i feel...
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Next

Return to Coaxial