Moriarty's DVD Blog 2007 (UPDATED WITH NEW GAME)

Betamax and beyond

Postby Ribbons on Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:08 pm

John-Locke wrote:Sounds like fun.

How are we going to decide the order, we never agree on anything.

Rock Paper Scissors!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Flumm on Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:15 pm

*rock*
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby St. Alphonzo on Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:21 pm

Flumm wrote:*rock*

ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby John-Locke on Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:31 pm

Flumm wrote:*rock*

*paper*

HEHEHEHEHEH!

PWNT

:P
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby King Psyz on Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:39 pm

fuckin sweet!
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Moriarty on Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:41 am

King Psyz, you've just made my eyes bleed. Thank you.

Here are the films that will be in the running for this game.

FROM THE JODOROWSKY BOX SET: (1 Day)

EL TOPO
THE HOLY MOUNTAIN
FANDO Y LIS

FROM THE BAVA BOX SET: (2 Days)

BLACK SUNDAY
BLACK SABBATH
THE GIRL WHO KNEW TOO MUCH
KNIVES OF THE AVENGER
KILL BABY... KILL!

TRIPLE FEATURE (1 Day)

INFERNAL AFFAIRS I, II & III

DOUBLE FEATURE ONE (1 Day)

SHOGUN ASSASSIN I & II

DOUBLE FEATURE TWO (1 Day)

POLICE STORY I & II

Let's call that six days worth of programming.

You guys are going to help me decide what days each of those blocks of programming gets watched.

May 1st

May 2nd

May 3rd

May 5th

May 8th

May 9th

Those are the dates available for programming.

So what's it going to be?
Moriarty
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Moriarty on Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:48 am

And if none of the above float your boat, I offer these alternatives, each of which would count as a single day's worth of programming. The Sturges Films are short:

DOUBLE FEATURE THREE

GANDHI and Criterion's OVERLORD

TRIPLE FEATURE TWO

Severin's BLACK EMMANUELLE BOX

FROM THE PRESTON STURGES BOX

HAIL THE CONQUERING HERO
THE GREAT MCGINTY
THE LADY EVE
THE PALM BEACH STORY
SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS

DOUBLE FEATURE FOUR

GODZILLA RAIDS AGAIN and GODZILLA VS. MOTHRA
Moriarty
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:01 am

MOTHERFUCKIN' EL TOPO!

I just recently saw that at a midnight screening over at the Music Box Theatre...I really want to hear your thoughts on THAT film.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Ginger Man on Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:02 am

Jesus Christ, Moriarty....I'd consider this quite the undertaking, but it's probably more like "a day in the life of...." Anyway, here's my pic...as I think I understand how this works.

May 1st - THE BAVA BOX SET

May 2nd - THE BAVA BOX SET

May 3rd - Severin's BLACK EMMANUELLE BOX

May 5th - THE JODOROWSKY BOX SET

May 8th - THE PRESTON STURGES BOX

May 9th - THE PRESTON STURGES BOX

I picked these b/c I pretty much don't know any of them. Movies like Shogun Assassin, Infernal Affairs, or the Godzilla movies...those show up all the time and, to be honest, I don't see how new reviews would be any different from old reviews. But many of these others, I am without knowledge and would like to correct that.

But that's just me. Anybody else?
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Moriarty on Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:37 am

One more to throw in the mix:

DOUBLE FEATURE FIVE

Altman's THIEVES LIKE US and CINDERELLA LIBERTY
Moriarty
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby silentbobafett on Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:24 am

How are we going to decide the order, we never agree on anything.

Its funny cos its true! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:47 am

May 1st - GANDHI and OVERLORD - Not so interested in GANDHI, but I'm jazzed about OVERLORD. Kickin' off the whole affair with some classy programming, 'cuz day two will be...

May 2nd - BAVA Box Set. GANDHI can suck it!

May 3rd - THE PRESTON STURGES BOX. Best. Screenwriter. Ever? You'll spend the 4th mulling over his brilliance.

May 5th - THE JODOROWSKY BOX SET. 'Cuz you're gonna need several days to process the madness.

May 8th - POLICE STORY I & II. Since I figure one still may be a tad bit warped from the Jodo, how 'bout some JC in his manic prime? The 20minute destruction of the mall at the end of #1 and the fight with that nutjob who tossed firecrackers at him in #2 are amongst the finest action of JC's distinguished career.

May 9th - BAVA Box Set. Purely selfish reasons, just want to read what you have to write about 'em.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby arisethedemonetrigan on Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:31 pm

Definately want you to do the Jodorowsky box set. I am loving it so much as of now, like to know your take on it.

Want to know the specifics of the Bava Box set as well.

Other than those two box sets (which would take you 3 days), I'd say The Police Story duo. Love me some Jackie Chan.
Laugh and the world laughs with you.
Weep, and you weep alone.

Earl: What kind of fuse is that?
Burt: Cannon fuse.
Earl: What the hell do you use that for?
Burt: My cannon.

www.zombiemilk.com

Go there and... stuff.
arisethedemonetrigan
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Theta on Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:21 pm

I don't feel up to this schedule dealy...but I will say my top two votes are for Jodorowsky (I'm getting the set anyway but want to hear your opinion) and the Godzilla double feature.

I DEFINITELY want to get your take on "Mothra Versus Godzilla." The Japanese cut is pretty damn good, by G standards.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Andre Dellamorte on Thu May 03, 2007 3:40 pm

I think you need to watch the Jorodosky as a two day special, once sober, the other time, not so sober.
Busting makes me feel good.
Andre Dellamorte
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby yaz67 on Fri May 04, 2007 10:29 pm

Where do you go to see these daily reviews? I cannot seem to locate. Any help appreciated.
yaz67
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby arisethedemonetrigan on Sun May 06, 2007 8:14 pm

He hasn't posted reviews of them yet. Our Moriarty is a busy man.

www.zombiemilk.com

Go there and... stuff.
arisethedemonetrigan
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Evil Dead Junkie on Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:55 pm

Moriarty wrote:Image

But I have to laugh at the way Rick builds his head of steam here, finally reaching the "big finish" as we see the killing floor of a slaughterhouse. Linklater shows us every detail, expecting us to be outraged, but that seems almost impossibly naive to me. Does he really think that people aren't aware animals are killed to be eaten? And that when you kill something, it's bloody? If all he wants to generate is shock with those scenes, then mission accomplished. But if he is reaching for a great significance, or if he's trying to incite some moral outrage simply because "meat is murder," then he falls incredibly short.

OK I know I'm a bit late on this one, but I can't help but feel you sorta missed the point on this one Mori.

To me it wasn't about inditing the shock value of Meat is Murder, but painting what a truly awful place this is to be and then putting a character you care about in that place.

The film basically ends with her in hell. I suppose whether this effects you or not depends on whether you where invested in her as a character, I certainly was.
Evil Dead Junkie
GLIB

Postby Moriarty on Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:17 am

Pathetic.

That's what it is.

My year so far has been filled with lots and lots of DVDs and reviews... well... not so many.

But I finally finished my spec last week. I finished my assignment today. I can actually focus on writing some of these reviews, and I'm looking forward to it.

The game idea sounded like fun, and maybe we'll try it again later, but not right now. Instead, I'm going to gear up for a major burn through a ton of reviews, one right after another. I'm going to flood the main page with so many DVD reviews that Harry will beg me to stop.

I'll be posting an article tomorrow about it. Until then, I'll be organizing things and getting ready.

It'll be nice to be back, and I'll alternate between front page content and Zone-exclusive content.
Moriarty
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby magicmonkey on Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:13 am

Evil Dead Junkie wrote:
Moriarty wrote:Image

But I have to laugh at the way Rick builds his head of steam here, finally reaching the "big finish" as we see the killing floor of a slaughterhouse. Linklater shows us every detail, expecting us to be outraged, but that seems almost impossibly naive to me. Does he really think that people aren't aware animals are killed to be eaten? And that when you kill something, it's bloody? If all he wants to generate is shock with those scenes, then mission accomplished. But if he is reaching for a great significance, or if he's trying to incite some moral outrage simply because "meat is murder," then he falls incredibly short.

OK I know I'm a bit late on this one, but I can't help but feel you sorta missed the point on this one Mori.

To me it wasn't about inditing the shock value of Meat is Murder, but painting what a truly awful place this is to be and then putting a character you care about in that place.

The film basically ends with her in hell. I suppose whether this effects you or not depends on whether you where invested in her as a character, I certainly was.

Yeah it was quite a bummer ending to his clarion call to revolution!
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Moriarty on Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:08 am

Innnnnnteresting.

I just looked at my Blockbuster Online account. If you're just joining this thread, earlier this year, Blockbuster Online asked me if I wanted a one-year free account to try their services.

Duh.

So far, I've rented 33 films. Two of those were Argentinian films I didn't watch. One was a BABY EINSTEIN disc for Toshi. The other 30, I've watched, either alone or with my wife. I've worked the rental habit into my viewing pattern. Sort of. There are weeks that go by sometimes when I forget to send things back, and other weeks where I'm really good about turning things around fast.

I've got 34 movies sitting in my queue right now. Of those, about eight are 2007 releases that I haven't seen yet, new theatrical movies I should see for my end of the year lists.

The films I've rented so far, for the record:

Epic Movie
Henri Langlois: The Phantom of the Cinematheque
The Plague Dogs
Black Christmas (the remake)
Cinderella Liberty
A King And His Movie
Sleeping Dogs Lie
The Pursuit of Happyness
Confetti
Employee of the Month
A Good Year
Wilderness
Fast Food Nation
Eragon
Day In Paradise
Avatar: The Last Airbender [Animated TV Series]
Idiocracy
12 and Holding
SherryBaby
Leonard Cohen: I'm Your Man
Altered
Flyboys
My Super Ex-Girlfriend
Beerfest
John Tucker Must Die
Quinceañera
Baby Einstein: Neighborhood Animals
You, Me and Dupree
Inside His Dark Materials
Conversations With Other Women
Ice Age: The Meltdown
Street Fight
Idlewild
Moriarty
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Moriarty on Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:13 am

I've also decided to purchase three of those since renting them. I've picked up copies of BEERFEST, IDIOCRACY, and LEONARD COHEN: I'M YOUR MAN at Amoeba, waiting until I found them used. I enjoyed them enough that I think I'll revisit them at some point. They're worth keeping. Three out of the thirty-three. And maybe I'll pick up all the AVATAR discs at some point to keep as well. But that's it.

Again... not sure what it means. But I find it interesting, thinking about it that way.
Moriarty
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:35 am

That's a big list for you not to have seen so far Mori. Weird how you missed some of them at the cinema. But Oh GAARD!! I nearly had a stroke when I saw Epic Movie right at the top of your list. Tell me that is some kind of evil obligatory contract that Harry or Blockbusters made you sign? If so then I'm revoking Blockbuster right now and getting all my films off of that poor illegal immigrant down the street who everytime I ask him for directions home every night when I'm drunk, all he says is 'Dee Vee Dee?!' and shoves dodgy collections of SuperMarioBrothers Man DVDs into my face.

Oh, and do watch The Pursuit of Happyness and Flyboys. I don't normally like Will Smith but I actually liked that film a lot, though I can see why some wouldn't. Oh and Flyboys IS meant to be a ton of cowpat - but I'm in it in the Bar scenes!!!!! So watch out for me - just watch out also for the flying underwear that will be flung at the screen by those watching the film next to you.

Damn my homosexual and sexcase sex offenders fanclub.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fawst on Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:14 am

I have been in the process of being a lazy twit, and that turned into being a lazy twit who had to find an apartment and move his ass out along with all his shit, all his fiancee's shit, and all of our collective shit.

In the process I think I lost a NetFlix DVD. D'oh! We have had the service since February, at least. In that time, we have rented:

Beerfest
Little Miss Sunshine
Mission: Impossible III (the actual DVD we received was Vertical Limit. I believe it was a snowboarding doc, but I never did watch it)
The Illusionist
A movie that I flat out cannot remember
An Inconvenient Truth (which was also never watched)

That's pretty sad. I have a 3-DVDs-at-once deal with NetFlix, and in four months, I have only rented six. One I can't remember, one was the wrong movie, and one was lost and never watched. Three out of Six. At least all three of the movies I watched were between good and great!

Now that I live alone with my fiancee (we had two roommates), I will have a lot more time to actually watch random movies. I plan on doing some writing as well. The next step is to get that 56" DLP TV I want!

I don't think I had much of a point, I just want to be like Mori so I figured I'd write a post pointing out the sad state of my DVD watching... Oh and for the record, An Inconvenient Truth is the one that I lost. Le sigh.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Moriarty on Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:08 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:That's a big list for you not to have seen so far Mori. Weird how you missed some of them at the cinema.

That list is all the films I've rented and watched since starting the membership.
Moriarty
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Peven on Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:37 pm

you really put yourself through it with that list. do watch a lot of those movies as penance for past sins?

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Moriarty on Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:50 am

You might think, eh?

I'm just a weird completist. I'll watch almost anything once.
Moriarty
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:00 am

Moriarty wrote:I'm just a weird completist. I'll watch almost anything once.

what film do you think you've seen the most?

oh, and have you seen KELLY'S HEROES, and did the skeptical, "negative vibes" sidekick to Donald Sutherland's Oddball who went by the name Moriarty have any influence on your adopted nom de web plum?
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby HeWhoCannotBeNamed on Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:00 am

Mori-

I'm somewhat new to The Zone. I really enjoy your thoughts and views. I just read all the posts here and I was really hoping to read your thoughts (negative/positive/indifferent) regarding:

Red Doors
Shinobi: Heart Under Blade

I really liked both of those flicks. Own them both. Did you see either of them?

And just a quick thought from me here. I love The Hulk. Glad you do too. Matter of fact I just watched it this week. Never understood all the "hate". Shamefully underappreciated and possibly misunderstood film. I can't find a fault in it. My favorite comic book film if one must label it as such.

I appreciate your time and response.
"There is not one truth cast into stone, only lies cast in our face."
HeWhoCannotBeNamed
GLIB

Postby arisethedemonetrigan on Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:53 pm

I have Blockbuster online as well, and my queue... let me see what the hell I've been watching on a regular basis.

Hell in the Pacific
Tenebre
Cockfighter
Throne of Blood
Little Otik
Juliet of the Spirits
Easy Riders, Raging Bulls
Just Before Dawn
Visible Secret (which didn't work)
The Stendhal Syndrome
Delicatessen
Inferno
Hanzo the Razor Collection
Axe
Ms. 45
Penitentiary
Penitentiary 2

Well, that's a smidgeon of the 222 movies I've rented in the last year and a half. And I tend to slow it down a bit to actually digest these films. Also, get to rent in store as well, so that's when I'll rent a film like Breach, which I was pissed off that I didn't see in theatres.

So I understand what you mean Mori about not having time. I don't even have time to be online much anymore.

This might be the first post I've done in months. Sad... but true.

www.zombiemilk.com

Go there and... stuff.
arisethedemonetrigan
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Moriarty on Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:39 pm

http://moriartylabs.typepad.com

The original DVD blog, resurrected from the dead.
Moriarty
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby RONNIE44 on Mon May 05, 2008 6:14 pm

Moriarty wrote:http://moriartylabs.typepad.com

The original DVD blog, resurrected from the dead.

A Watchmen clock, nice. :shock:
RONNIE44
GLIB

Previous

Return to DVD / Blu-ray