Star Trek comics (NEW SERIES W/ COVER!)

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:21 pm

I got this bit of news from CBR's Lying in the Gutter

I understand that Dorothy Catherine Fontana, a writer and a script consultant for 36 episodes of the original "Star Trek" TV show, will be writing for IDW's "Star Trek: Season Four" comic book series.

So does this mean that there will be several volumes of IDW's Season Four Star Trek book? I like that idea better than a stand alone mini.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:28 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:I got this bit of news from CBR's Lying in the Gutter

I understand that Dorothy Catherine Fontana, a writer and a script consultant for 36 episodes of the original "Star Trek" TV show, will be writing for IDW's "Star Trek: Season Four" comic book series.

So does this mean that there will be several volumes of IDW's Season Four Star Trek book? I like that idea better than a stand alone mini.

If so, then my enthusiasm for this series just shot up ten fold. She was also the show runner for the animated series (Which some were likening to a kind of 'season four' when it came out, since it used a lot of the same writers and so forth) and she's probably one of the few living links to the original show.

I couldn't have thought of anyone better to pull this off, if this is indeed true.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:35 pm

Rich Johnston indicated the rumor was a "green light" and he is usually pretty accurate when giving rumors a "green light". But a rumor is still a rumor, but my guess would be that it has some truth to it.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:38 pm

Oh man....oh man. I'm actually more jazzed about this now than the Abrams movie.

She's the only one alive right now who'd know what they would've done for a 'season four'. This is what I think they were missing in the beginning. This is the legitimacy I was talking about. I think now they can honestly call this 'season four' without it being just a marketing gimmick.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:16 pm

So did anyone here pick up Star Trek: Year Four #1?

Trekmovie.com has a review up. The guy calls it a decent start, if a bit hard to follow. But the coolest thing for me is that, yes, M'Ress and Arex are in it.

ANIMATEDSERIESFOREVER-FIVE!
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:25 pm

Adam Balm wrote:So did anyone here pick up Star Trek: Year Four #1?

Trekmovie.com has a review up. The guy calls it a decent start, if a bit hard to follow. But the coolest thing for me is that, yes, M'Ress and Arex are in it.

We don't get it for a few days yet, but I understand that there is some kind of preview issue with introductions to the storyline and threads they're going to use.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:55 pm

so anyone else seriously disappointed in issue 1 besides me?

fuck was i pumped for this series. but the first issue kind of sucks. i mean, i too was stoked to see Arex and m'ress in it. but the story is weak, and seriously suffers from a lack of development. at teh end, i was like "thats it?!"

perhaps this story will continue and be fleshed out further in future issues, but somehow i doubt it. i know its only been one issue, but so far the TNG series "The Space Between" that IDW puts out is better.

hopefully this shit picks up with issue 2.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:43 pm

Brocktune wrote:so anyone else seriously disappointed in issue 1 besides me?

fuck was i pumped for this series. but the first issue kind of sucks. i mean, i too was stoked to see Arex and m'ress in it. but the story is weak, and seriously suffers from a lack of development. at teh end, i was like "thats it?!"

perhaps this story will continue and be fleshed out further in future issues, but somehow i doubt it. i know its only been one issue, but so far the TNG series "The Space Between" that IDW puts out is better.

hopefully this shit picks up with issue 2.

You're right about it. Quite disappointing and very underwhelming. It zips through the story and at the end I didn't really care about what had happened. It was like watching an episode on fast-forward.

The ten pages of adverts and an uncessary preview of 30 Days of Night didn't helps matters either. However, it's the usual format IDW comics seem to follow. I reckon they probably can't quite afford to buy these licences.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:59 pm

Fried Gold wrote:The ten pages of adverts and an uncessary preview of 30 Days of Night didn't helps matters either. However, it's the usual format IDW comics seem to follow. I reckon they probably can't quite afford to buy these licences.

no shit.
and they charge like 4 or 5 bucks a book instead of the normally gouging 3 bucks. perhaps IDW should look for more profitable licenses.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Captain Craig on Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:17 pm

I didn't read the Klingon issue or mini but I did pickup Year 4 #1. It was a decent read, nothing to write home about and I'm unsure if I'll get #2 cause there are better things to read at $3.99 a pop.
Captain Craig
GLIB

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:11 am

Read the first issue...it was pretty cool, but it was just way too short. The comic book medium isn't really suited to telling stand-alone Trek stories. At 22 pages, they are just way too short to leave the reader satisfied. I would suggest 2-3 issues arcs...with each break between issues serving like a commercial break almost. And PLEASE include some cool Trek back-up stories. Kind of like the old Green Lantern back-ups.

Just my two cents.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chilli on Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:56 am

Its not strange that they're dull. As noted in another thread, the TOS stories weren't always that good to begin with, but they had the characters of Bones/Spock/Kirk playing off each other, the actors really showcasing a terrific sense of comraderie/opposed ideologies. And in this thread its also been mentioned that translating that to a comic is difficult, the reference of Serenity comics being the key factor.

TV and comics aren't the same mediums, so a direct transfer can't work. You need to take the spirit of the piece and put it into comic-book form, not try to do a TV series in comic-book form.

Buffy S8 gets this right, for me. They're faithful to the show, but Whedon is making it work for the comic-book format. He's doing things bigger, but keeping the heart, no longer hindered by limitations of characters/opinions of 'actors'.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:12 am

Chilli wrote:TV and comics aren't the same mediums, so a direct transfer can't work. You need to take the spirit of the piece and put it into comic-book form, not try to do a TV series in comic-book form.

I'm going to take this opportunity to further pick on the 300 film.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:29 pm

Chilli wrote:Its not strange that they're dull. As noted in another thread, the TOS stories weren't always that good to begin with, but they had the characters of Bones/Spock/Kirk playing off each other, the actors really showcasing a terrific sense of comraderie/opposed ideologies. And in this thread its also been mentioned that translating that to a comic is difficult, the reference of Serenity comics being the key factor.

TV and comics aren't the same mediums, so a direct transfer can't work. You need to take the spirit of the piece and put it into comic-book form, not try to do a TV series in comic-book form.

Buffy S8 gets this right, for me. They're faithful to the show, but Whedon is making it work for the comic-book format. He's doing things bigger, but keeping the heart, no longer hindered by limitations of characters/opinions of 'actors'.

Well, I think comparing Buffy to Star Trek is not the proper course. Buffy worked with arcs that lasted the entire season and things like that. Star Trek TOS always kind of stayed in the one and done format (as I recall). So that is what allows Joss to do stories that last 4 issues or 6 issues. To me, Buffy's structure was much better suited for the comic book medium than Star Trek...given the nature of comics today. I don't want that format from Star Trek. I suppose it could work...6 issue arcs and a big bad lurking behind the scenes and what not. Some folks might want it. I don't.

Like I said, they should tell stories that last 2 or maybe 3 issues at most. The gap in between the issues acting almost like commercial breaks.

Personally, I think the comic did a fine job of handling the relationships of the characters. They all had their distinct voices...I just think it all happened way too fast. They crammed in a lot of stuff and it was just way too much for a 22 page comic.

The $3.99 price tag also hurts. Fucking IDW. Why couldn't this license have gone to Dynamite or something...at least there we would probably be looking at $3.50 instead of $3.99. Its not much, but its something at least. That is really the biggest thing working against this book. Each issue has to justify the $3.99 price tag. Is THAT story worth $4? I mean you can buy individual episodes of Star Trek TOS off of iTunes for .99 or something like that. Where is the extra money going? To pay for the, I'd assume, expensive license to publish the comics? Paper stock? What is it? I mean its not like you have "top talent" working on the book.

Ugh.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:01 am

Ha! I was just reading a review of Star Trek Year Four #2 and I laughed because of this paragraph:

[quote]There’s one problem I have with this issue and the two issues of the series thus far. This isn’t necessarily anyone’s fault, just a minor gripe I’ve developed. Tischman seems to be going for the “one and doneâ€
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:34 pm

Holy crap. IDW just unveiled its plans for the Star Trek property in its second year...um WOW!

Peter David writing a New Frontier Comic!

D.C. Fontana writing Star Trek Year Four!!

John Byrne on Assignment Earth!!!

Find out more here
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:04 am

#2 was a bit of a snore.
Twenty two pages is simply not enough.
And I would have liked to see better artwork,
say of the caliber of Buffy Season 8.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:18 pm

Adam Balm wrote:Image

Holy shit - it's Ray Liotta as Kirk!! :shock:
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:23 pm

Adam Balm wrote:Comic Continuum has some cool info from Wizard World LA on IDW's upcoming Star Trek comics, including some new art for Star Trek: The Original Series -Year 4. As most people will remember, TOS was cancelled three years into the original 5 year mission. This series picks up right after, during those two 'lost years' of Trek:

Also in April they're doing the Klingons: Blood Will Tell mini that is "taking classic stories and reversing them and showing the whole thing from the Klingon perspective,". And then another six issue mini called Star Trek: Alien Spotlight with Steve Niles writing about the Borg and the other issues being about the Vulcans and Orion Slave Women.

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0703/18/idwpanel.htm

:!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

Where the hell is this artwork? It isn't from the first five issues of Year 4. I like it SO much more than what we are currently getting, damn it!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Previous

Return to Comic Books