Favourite Old Geezer

Discuss all the finest actors, living or dead -- their films, their talents, and their weird, drug-related escapades.

Favourite Old Man Actor (not necessarily the best, but your favourite)

Gene Hackman
8
17%
Harrison Ford
2
4%
Clint Eastwood
9
20%
Christopher Lee
6
13%
Sean Connery
5
11%
Kurt Russell
3
7%
Robert De Niro
2
4%
Ed Harris
5
11%
Al Pacino
2
4%
Brian Cox
2
4%
Jack Nicholson
2
4%
 
Total votes : 46

Favourite Old Geezer

Postby John-Locke on Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:34 am

Which of these old dudes is your favourite Actor.

Have I missed someone off the List? Tough titty, put it in your post and stop bothering me, I got a lot on my mind Okay?
Last edited by John-Locke on Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER
 
Posts: 12365
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:49 am
Location: Unknown

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:37 am

Ian McKellan? He should a get a the nod for at least 3 geek a favorites, eh? Magneto, Gandalf, anna the father of a the Frankenstein movies!
User avatar
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN
 
Posts: 11284
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:15 pm
Location: Private Villa inna Santorini

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:57 am

Hackman, never put it in a bad performance. The Conversation is just mind blowingly good and he's never better. Plus he'd make a cool uncle.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
User avatar
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow
 
Posts: 9155
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:45 am
Location: A Drained Swimming Pool

Postby PVIII on Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:04 am

Connery, because he's a creepy old perv who passed on X-men and LOTR. And I guess the whole James Bond thing...

PVIII
Image
"It's an Illusion!"--GOB
PVIII
MONKEY BUTLER
 
Posts: 257
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:26 am
Location: Hell

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:12 am

TonyWilson wrote:Hackman... Plus he'd make a cool uncle.


"C'mon a Johnny, let's a arm wrestle."

"Not a now, Unca Gene, I'm a reading a my funny books."

"Listen a to me, you little goddamn bastard putz! In a my day, we dinna have a the funny books! We arm wrestled until our elbows, they popped outta joint anna our forearms, they snapped! Me anna your father, when a we was growing up we used to eat raw beef anna the whiskey for breakfast anna it made us a strong! Not a weak like a you, you worthless piece of a the crap!"

"Waaaaaaaaaaaaa!"

"You shut a you mouth before I give a you something to cry about! You donna even unnerstand real pain! You think I a shave a my head inna Superman? I PULLED the hair out! Not a the shave! I pull it out by a the handfuls! It a make a me STRONG!"

Anna so on...
User avatar
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN
 
Posts: 11284
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:15 pm
Location: Private Villa inna Santorini

Postby John-Locke on Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:16 am

Hackman is no Hack, man (did you see what I did there?).

The dude just oozes Charisma and I wish he were my Dad.
User avatar
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER
 
Posts: 12365
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:49 am
Location: Unknown

Postby WinslowLeach on Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:26 am

I went with Gene Hackman because the guy is simply a master. The other factor is he doesnt seem to have sold out even at this point in his career like most of the others have done.

More Runners Up: Dustin Hoffman, Robert Duvall and Chris Walken.
User avatar
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 4079
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:39 pm
Location: The Deuce

Postby docfalken on Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:41 am

Jack Nicholson.

He's got charisma oozing out of his pores like I've got gravy oozing out of mine.
User avatar
docfalken
HAGGIS?!?!!?!!?!
 
Posts: 1211
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:17 pm
Location: Austin, Texas

Postby John-Locke on Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:08 am

Yeah I realised I left off a couple of the greats after I had posted, I should have replaced Christopher Lee with Jack.
User avatar
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER
 
Posts: 12365
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:49 am
Location: Unknown

Postby thomasgaffney on Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:45 am

I picked Clint. He's not the greatest actor in the world, but I love him to death. The Man with No Name is one of the best western characters of all time. And I still get a kick out of High Plains Drifter when he takes over the town, paints everything red, and renames it Hell.
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
User avatar
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable
 
Posts: 6618
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:11 am
Location: lost in a book

Postby cockknocker on Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:09 pm

I went for Kurt as he is cool and seems like hes a nice person too without an inflated ego.
"Around dawn in Edinburgh is a really good time to see the castle wandering around, having a wank. "
User avatar
cockknocker
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:15 am
Location: london

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:32 pm

My vote is for Sean Connery, for his "old-guy-who-still-kicks-ass" routine in The Rock.

GOODSPEED: I'll do my best.
MASON: Your best? Losers whine about their best. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen.
GOODSPEED: (cocks gun) Carla was the prom queen.
User avatar
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE
 
Posts: 9473
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:07 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby Shane on Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:41 am

Christopher Lee, Michael Gogh, and Peter Cushing are some of my favorite actors of all time.
User avatar
Shane
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2476
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:28 pm
Location: Kansas City

Postby cap on Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:43 am

TonyWilson wrote:Hackman, never put it in a bad performance. The Conversation is just mind blowingly good and he's never better. Plus he'd make a cool uncle.

I agree wholeheartedly.

He plays the good guy, he plays the bad guy. He can do it all, and do it all well. Hell he even makes the unwatchable (The Quick and the Dead) bearable just to see what he does.
Image

Ambition - The journey of a thousand miles sometimes ends very, very badly
User avatar
cap
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 1073
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:21 pm
Location: Over here.... In the Corner.... No Really!!!!

Postby Shane on Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:51 am

cap wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:Hackman, never put it in a bad performance. The Conversation is just mind blowingly good and he's never better. Plus he'd make a cool uncle.

I agree wholeheartedly.

He plays the good guy, he plays the bad guy. He can do it all, and do it all well. Hell he even makes the unwatchable (The Quick and the Dead) bearable just to see what he does.


I saw on the news a few years back that he got in trouble for kicking a bunch of rapper kids asses. Yes as old as he is and he kicks ass in real life.
User avatar
Shane
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2476
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:28 pm
Location: Kansas City

Postby lyra belacqua on Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:55 am

Ed Harris. No question.
Image
User avatar
lyra belacqua
GEEK GODDESS
 
Posts: 684
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:27 pm

Postby John-Locke on Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:02 am

lyra belacqua wrote:Ed Harris. No question.


Why? (sorry you said no question)

If I had to take a guess I'd say it's a combination of his eyes and the shape of his head (which you find sexy, much like my Mum does), he's a great actor for sure but many are, to be a favourite you have to look great or rugged on film and he manages both.


Am I right?
Image
User avatar
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER
 
Posts: 12365
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:49 am
Location: Unknown

Postby Peven on Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:06 am

oh come on, give Kurt a break, he's not an old man yet. he is probably in better shape and is built better than most dudes half his age too. i voted for Hackman, because as someone already mentioned, the guy never gives a bad performance.
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14680
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Postby MadCapsule on Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:08 am

I voted for Clint. The man's always defined "cool" to me. When I was a kid, aside from wanting to be Luke Skywalker, I wanted to be a cowboy. That was largely due to Clint Eastwood and, to a lesser degree, The Duke.
User avatar
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE
 
Posts: 716
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:53 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Postby lyra belacqua on Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:10 am

John-Locke wrote:
lyra belacqua wrote:Ed Harris. No question.


Why? (sorry you said no question)

If I had to take a guess I'd say it's a combination of his eyes and the shape of his head (which you find sexy, much like my Mum does), he's a great actor for sure but many are, to be a favourite you have to look great or rugged on film and he manages both.


Am I right?


I was going for the because he can act without becoming a caricature of his own persona (unlike Harrison, Jack, Sean, etc.). My other choice on that list could have been Hackman, but even he seems to be playing "Gene Hackman" too much. Brian Cox rocks too.
Last edited by lyra belacqua on Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
lyra belacqua
GEEK GODDESS
 
Posts: 684
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:27 pm

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:10 am

I vote for dino...


COOLEST.


GEEZER.


EVER.
User avatar
havocSchultz
is full of stars...
 
Posts: 15695
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:46 am
Location: living amongst a hazy nothing...

Postby John-Locke on Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:16 am

Peven wrote:oh come on, give Kurt a break, he's not an old man yet. he is probably in better shape and is built better than most dudes half his age too. i voted for Hackman, because as someone already mentioned, the guy never gives a bad performance.


Hey man, I meant no disrespect, everyone was put on the poll because I really dig them, there was no way I wasn't going to put good old Jack Burton on the list, he's 55 in a month which is normally too old to still be playing the action hero roles but he's still going strong and can still play any role despite his age much like a lot of the other geezers on the poll.
Image
User avatar
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER
 
Posts: 12365
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:49 am
Location: Unknown

Postby Doc Holliday on Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:20 am

Using my "Mr-Mainstream-Predicto-Choice" gizmo, I've gone with Pacino.

PHOOO-WARRRR! :wink:
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
User avatar
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 6434
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:11 am
Location: Crawling along a razor's edge

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:20 am

Eastwood makes me feel warm inside....

Does Gary Busey count? Because I love that dude, too....
User avatar
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 5689
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:42 am
Location: London, England

Postby JabberJaw on Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:22 am

I went with Clint...he has been able to go from action star to doing quality roles that he does now. i love his gruff old godger characters.

Not to mention even when he was old he was still able to pull off a great bad ass western character in the unforgiven.

His performance in Million Dollar Baby was great, and he is a fine director as well..

I also am a fan of Albert Finney
ImageImage
User avatar
JabberJaw
MONKEY BUTLER
 
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:46 am
Location: Orlando, Fl

Postby Peven on Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:29 am

John-Locke wrote:
Peven wrote:oh come on, give Kurt a break, he's not an old man yet. he is probably in better shape and is built better than most dudes half his age too. i voted for Hackman, because as someone already mentioned, the guy never gives a bad performance.


Hey man, I meant no disrespect, everyone was put on the poll because I really dig them, there was no way I wasn't going to put good old Jack Burton on the list, he's 55 in a month which is normally too old to still be playing the action hero roles but he's still going strong and can still play any role despite his age much like a lot of the other geezers on the poll.


yeah, i know you weren't trying to diss Kurt, it just struck me as strange seeing his name up there with all those genuine old geezers. :wink:
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14680
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Postby minstrel on Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:39 pm

Hmmm. I don't normally think of guys like Kurt Russell, Ed Harris, and Al Pacino as geezers. Even Pacino. They don't play many "old man" roles.

I'm definitely a Hackman fan, like others here. His performance in Unforgiven is tremendous.

Why isn't Paul Newman on the list? He was a great geezer in "Road to Perdition".
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
User avatar
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency
 
Posts: 12634
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:03 pm
Location: Area 52

Postby Peven on Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:47 pm

minstrel wrote:Hmmm. I don't normally think of guys like Kurt Russell, Ed Harris, and Al Pacino as geezers. Even Pacino. They don't play many "old man" roles.

I'm definitely a Hackman fan, like others here. His performance in Unforgiven is tremendous.

Why isn't Paul Newman on the list? He was a great geezer in "Road to Perdition".


i think Newman's best "old geezer" role is in "Nobody's Fool". great stuff, great movie
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14680
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Postby Lady Sheridan on Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:00 pm

It was tough, but I went with Kurt Russell. His turn in Miracle was wonderful, and he's just so much fun.
User avatar
Lady Sheridan
RED
 
Posts: 5035
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:09 pm
Location: Croft Manor

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:00 pm

Peven wrote:
minstrel wrote:Hmmm. I don't normally think of guys like Kurt Russell, Ed Harris, and Al Pacino as geezers. Even Pacino. They don't play many "old man" roles.

I'm definitely a Hackman fan, like others here. His performance in Unforgiven is tremendous.

Why isn't Paul Newman on the list? He was a great geezer in "Road to Perdition".


i think Newman's best "old geezer" role is in "Nobody's Fool". great stuff, great movie


Ditto. Newman has handled the latter part of his career with grace and dignity and, at near 80, looks in remarkably good shape.
Same with Hackman, though his ludicrous defrocked priest performance in 'The Poseidon Adventure' was as over the top as Shelly Winters' Orca the Whale impersonation in the same flim.
User avatar
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 1369
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:55 pm

Postby CthulhuKid on Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:45 pm

I went with Ed Harris. Lyra's argument of not being a Charicature aside (whis I whole heartedly agree with), he's just so damn intense. I just caught "The Third Miracle" on IFC last week. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0174268/ He was amazing! He plays a Catholic Priest who investigates the miracles of potential Saints, but at the same time questions his own faith and commitment to the church. It was unbelievable.
CthulhuKid
MONKEY BUTLER
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:56 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Postby minstrel on Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:59 pm

While (as I said above) I don't consider Ed Harris a "geezer", he is definitely one of my favorite actors. That coiled-spring intensity of his just rules - he effortlessly comes across as someone really dangerous. He's one of the most compelling presences in movies today.

Why doesn't he have an Oscar yet?
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
User avatar
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency
 
Posts: 12634
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:03 pm
Location: Area 52

Postby Brocktune on Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:53 pm

i too picked ed harris. i dont know why, but he is just so good and captivating in everything.

i wouldve voted for alan arkin, if he was on the list. who doesnt love arkin? im their fathah, im their fathah.
Image
User avatar
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 6490
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:32 pm
Location: Pico & Sepulveda

Postby lyra belacqua on Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:54 am

Peven wrote:
minstrel wrote:Hmmm. I don't normally think of guys like Kurt Russell, Ed Harris, and Al Pacino as geezers. Even Pacino. They don't play many "old man" roles.

I'm definitely a Hackman fan, like others here. His performance in Unforgiven is tremendous.

Why isn't Paul Newman on the list? He was a great geezer in "Road to Perdition".


i think Newman's best "old geezer" role is in "Nobody's Fool". great stuff, great movie


Nobody's Fool is one of my top 5 movies ever! (That is, if I ever had to force myself to list my favorite movies. It's just too hard.) Paul Newman is a god, that's why he's not on a list of "geezers."
Image
User avatar
lyra belacqua
GEEK GODDESS
 
Posts: 684
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:27 pm

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:57 am

All these geezers are of a most excellent vintage. Although Clint Eastwood is by far the coolest, I chose Christopher Lee because he has the coolest voice.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2467
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:28 pm

Postby John-Locke on Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:47 pm

minstrel wrote:While (as I said above) I don't consider Ed Harris a "geezer", he is definitely one of my favorite actors. That coiled-spring intensity of his just rules - he effortlessly comes across as someone really dangerous. He's one of the most compelling presences in movies today.

Why doesn't he have an Oscar yet?


Just so you know Minstrel, I'm in the UK and Geezer doesn't have the same negative conotations as I now realise it does over the pond. A geezer is usually a cool dude who's just a little bit old, not geriatric, I think when I started this thread two thirds of a year ago I was trying to get a conversation going about how us fans seem to respond most to men of a certain age who carry themselves in a certain way, Eastwood, Harris, Hackman, Russell etc all have a kind of gravity to them when they appear on film, you can't take your eyes off them and they make growing old look cool. I think most of those dudes on the list are probably my favourite actors period and I get the feeling I'm not alone in this, so why is it that over the years all the greats have managed to have the best parts of their careers in the last summer and Autumns of thier lives yet nowdays there is too much negative emphasis put on growing old with stars going under the knife in fear of looking old (Gibson looks like he's had some work done for instance).

Sorry I'm rambling.

I'll stop now.
Image
User avatar
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER
 
Posts: 12365
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:49 am
Location: Unknown

Postby cinephile2000 on Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:49 pm

Clint Eastwood man he was The Man of the seventies.
Just remember, your special like everyone else.
User avatar
cinephile2000
BOMB IN RIBCAGE
 
Posts: 578
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:03 pm
Location: Texas, yeah I said it.

Postby RockyDennis on Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:15 pm

Donald Sutherland needs to be on the list. He's the best of them, but if I need to choose than I would pick, Gene Hackman, but I think Pacino will be great if he keeps going for another 15 years. I'd love to see him play the crazy old eighty year old.
User avatar
RockyDennis
STEAK-A-BABY
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:59 pm
Location: Orlando, FL

Postby minstrel on Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:18 pm

John-Locke wrote:
minstrel wrote:While (as I said above) I don't consider Ed Harris a "geezer", he is definitely one of my favorite actors. That coiled-spring intensity of his just rules - he effortlessly comes across as someone really dangerous. He's one of the most compelling presences in movies today.

Why doesn't he have an Oscar yet?


Just so you know Minstrel, I'm in the UK and Geezer doesn't have the same negative conotations as I now realise it does over the pond. A geezer is usually a cool dude who's just a little bit old, not geriatric, I think when I started this thread two thirds of a year ago I was trying to get a conversation going about how us fans seem to respond most to men of a certain age who carry themselves in a certain way, Eastwood, Harris, Hackman, Russell etc all have a kind of gravity to them when they appear on film, you can't take your eyes off them and they make growing old look cool. I think most of those dudes on the list are probably my favourite actors period and I get the feeling I'm not alone in this, so why is it that over the years all the greats have managed to have the best parts of their careers in the last summer and Autumns of thier lives yet nowdays there is too much negative emphasis put on growing old with stars going under the knife in fear of looking old (Gibson looks like he's had some work done for instance).

Sorry I'm rambling.

I'll stop now.


Thanks for the explanation. Where I come from (California by way of Canada) "geezer" has a strong negative connotation - very old, doddering, slightly senile, curmudgeonly. "Cool" isn't a word I normally associate with "geezer".

You make a very good point here. Lots of actors are at the tops of their games late in their lives, and there seem to be lots of good roles for them, too. Maybe these actors don't get many action-hero parts anymore, but they still seem to get voted "Sexiest Man Alive" by various magazines fairly regularly. So why the premium put on youth?

I'm actually looking forward to the work some actors who are young now will do later in life. I'd love to see Edward Norton at the age of 60 or so - he's very smart and intense, and if he loses that boyishness in his voice and gets a few wrinkles, he'll be a very commanding presence.
User avatar
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency
 
Posts: 12634
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:03 pm
Location: Area 52

Postby Doc Holliday on Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:33 pm

Wow. Just my one vote for Pacino eh?

I guess he's in danger a bit of playing caricatures of himself when you think of his more outlandish roles...there are under (sometimes even "Over") tones of Devils Advocate in much of his later work (Any Given Sunday...AKA The Devil Does NFL).

But he does mix it up I think....his role in HEAT was different to his Sea of Love cop....Scent of a Woman......Insomnia again a cop, but IMO again enough of a different riff on the same theme - yes, I'm looking at YOU De Niro. The Insider, Donnie Brasco, Carlito's Way, his role in that made for TV special about Angels....I understand this is a best old geezer thread, not best actor ever...but I thought he might sneak a few honourable mentions if not votes, given his work to date?

This mean people not liking Pacino so much? And who did OUR Pacino vote for eh?

SHOCKING! :wink:
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
User avatar
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 6434
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:11 am
Location: Crawling along a razor's edge

Postby minstrel on Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:54 pm

I love Pacino, especially "The Insider". I just don't think of him as really in the "geezer" category, but that requires another look, now that John-Locke clarified what he meant.

I think the issue is the kind of roles he does. Maybe it's because he's a major star, but he takes lead parts that could be played by younger actors - there isn't much in the part that requires age. Actually, I haven't seen much of his recent stuff other than Insomnia, so I'm probably full of shit. Anyway, guys like Hackman and Harris seem to play parts that fit their ages. Maybe that's all they get offered, but still, there it is.

My point is that this may be an issue of career management. If Pacino were willing to take a supporting role in a film, one that suits his age, rather than a lead role that requires him to pretend to be 20 years younger than he is, he's get more votes here.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
User avatar
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency
 
Posts: 12634
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:03 pm
Location: Area 52

Postby The Garbage Man on Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:27 pm

Jack Palance.

From IMDb:

Few people know that veteran movie actor Jack Palance was a professional heavyweight boxer in the early 1940s. Fighting under the name Jack Brazzo, Palance a product of Lattimer Mines, Pennsylvania, won his first 15 fights, 12 by knockout before losing a 4th round decision to future heavyweight contender Joe Baksi on Dec. 17, 1940. With the outbreak of World War II, Jack Palance's boxing career ended and his military career began. Wounded in combat, he received the purple heart, good conduct medal, and the World War II Victory Medal. After the war he began his long and famous motion picture career.

While an understudy to Marlon Brando in the Broadway production of "A Streetcar Named Desire," Brando, who was into athletics, rigged up a punching bag in the theater's boiler room and invited Jack to work out with him. One night, Jack threw a hard punch that missed the bag and landed square on Brando's nose. The star had to be hospitalized and understudy Palance created his own big break by going on for Brando. Jack's reviews as Stanley Kowalski helped get him a 20th Century-Fox contract.

Despite all of his film work, Palance will forever be remembered for turning an Oscar acceptance speech into an uproarious display of his physical agility. While accepting his Oscar for Best Supporting Actor for City Slickers (1991) at the 64th Annual Academy Awards (1992) he stumbled through a half-hearted acceptance speech and then, at a loss for anything else to say, flopped down on the floor and began doing a series of one-handed push-ups. Afterwards when he was asked about the stunt he simply said, "I didn't know what the hell else to do".


Jack Palance and my grandfather are the two men who will forever define the term "grizzled badass" for me.
User avatar
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2558
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:27 pm
Location: The Big Blue Velour Marble

Postby Kilgore on Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:36 pm

What...no Wilford Brimley? What gives?
Kilgore
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 1051
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:33 pm

Postby Brocktune on Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:40 pm

he doesnt count, as hes given up acting, to coach the seattle seahawks.
Image
User avatar
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 6490
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:32 pm
Location: Pico & Sepulveda

Postby John-Locke on Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:10 pm

The Garbage Man wrote:Jack Palance.

From IMDb:

Few people know that veteran movie actor Jack Palance was a professional heavyweight boxer in the early 1940s. Fighting under the name Jack Brazzo, Palance a product of Lattimer Mines, Pennsylvania, won his first 15 fights, 12 by knockout before losing a 4th round decision to future heavyweight contender Joe Baksi on Dec. 17, 1940. With the outbreak of World War II, Jack Palance's boxing career ended and his military career began. Wounded in combat, he received the purple heart, good conduct medal, and the World War II Victory Medal. After the war he began his long and famous motion picture career.

While an understudy to Marlon Brando in the Broadway production of "A Streetcar Named Desire," Brando, who was into athletics, rigged up a punching bag in the theater's boiler room and invited Jack to work out with him. One night, Jack threw a hard punch that missed the bag and landed square on Brando's nose. The star had to be hospitalized and understudy Palance created his own big break by going on for Brando. Jack's reviews as Stanley Kowalski helped get him a 20th Century-Fox contract.

Despite all of his film work, Palance will forever be remembered for turning an Oscar acceptance speech into an uproarious display of his physical agility. While accepting his Oscar for Best Supporting Actor for City Slickers (1991) at the 64th Annual Academy Awards (1992) he stumbled through a half-hearted acceptance speech and then, at a loss for anything else to say, flopped down on the floor and began doing a series of one-handed push-ups. Afterwards when he was asked about the stunt he simply said, "I didn't know what the hell else to do".


Jack Palance and my grandfather are the two men who will forever define the term "grizzled badass" for me.


KICK ASS

I would have put him on the poll if he was still alive, maybe we should start a poll for the all time screen badasses, Palance, Eastwood, Bronson etc, no matrial artists cos thats unfair and would quickly turn into another who would win out of Bruce Lee and ...
Image
User avatar
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER
 
Posts: 12365
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:49 am
Location: Unknown

Postby Kilgore on Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:25 pm

That's a fine idea for a poll, JL, just make sure Robert Mitchum is on it...

Favorite Mitchum line ever, when asked by an interviewer how it was he was such a big actor when he had never taken an acting class: 'What would I do that for, isn't that like taking classes to be taller?'
Kilgore
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 1051
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:33 pm

Postby John-Locke on Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:33 pm

Start the thread then Kilgore, sometimes if you are scratching your head for people to put on the poll it's better to ask for suggestions first and add the poll later, that way you don't get as many people telling you great options that you left off. You won't want to use every suggestion though, some folks have got silly ideas *cough*KIRK*cough* ;)
Image
User avatar
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER
 
Posts: 12365
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:49 am
Location: Unknown

Postby The Garbage Man on Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:42 pm

John-Locke wrote:KICK ASS

I would have put him on the poll if he was still alive, maybe we should start a poll for the all time screen badasses, Palance, Eastwood, Bronson etc, no matrial artists cos thats unfair and would quickly turn into another who would win out of Bruce Lee and ...


Jack Palance is still alive, AFAIK. I like the idea for that thread, though.
User avatar
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2558
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:27 pm
Location: The Big Blue Velour Marble

Postby John-Locke on Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:56 pm

Sheeeeeet, I honestly thought City Slickers 2 was his last film, sorry, maybe that explains why he isn't getting enough work maybe I'm not the only one who thought he was dead.

On the plus side at least he's still alive :)

GO JACK!
Image
User avatar
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER
 
Posts: 12365
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:49 am
Location: Unknown

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:52 am

Doc Holliday wrote:Wow. Just my one vote for Pacino eh?

I guess he's in danger a bit of playing caricatures of himself when you think of his more outlandish roles... But he does mix it up I think....his role in HEAT was different to his Sea of Love cop....Scent of a Woman......Insomnia again a cop, but IMO again enough of a different riff on the same theme - yes, I'm looking at YOU De Niro.


Oh yeah. His performance in Insomnia is very underrated, in my opinion. Maybe it's just the way he talks and looks these days, but he wears the spiritual and physical weariness on his sleeve.

I went with Brian Cox, who manages to find interesting roles with a lot of range even though he's no longer young enough to be the star.
User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 13970
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Next

Return to Actor Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron