Countdown (DC)

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Countdown (DC)

Postby Fried Gold on Mon May 07, 2007 9:51 am

So following on from 52, they're going to attempt to run another weekly series over the next year. Again it's counting down to something (issue 51 to issue 0) and is said to be "forming the backbone of the DC universe" for the next year.

Although I can't really find anything conclusive about the stories or characters that'll be featured.

I'm just hoping that it'll be a comic that one can follow without having to buy all the crossover comics.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Last edited by Fried Gold on Mon May 07, 2007 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Theta on Mon May 07, 2007 10:07 am

It's supposed to be another "52", so I think it's going to largely stay internal.

I'm pretty excited myself, especially since I'm wondering what Jimmy Olsen did to piss off the Joker.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Re: Countdown (DC)

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon May 07, 2007 10:23 am

Fried Gold wrote: Image

To go off on a slight tangent, what the hell is this??!! Joker is the new Venom!!!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Seppuku on Mon May 07, 2007 10:38 am

Countdown's just not been the same since Richard Whiteley died.

:cry:
Last edited by Seppuku on Mon May 07, 2007 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Re: Countdown (DC)

Postby Theta on Mon May 07, 2007 10:39 am

Pacino86845 wrote:
Fried Gold wrote: Image

To go off on a slight tangent, what the hell is this??!! Joker is the new Venom!!!

Venom is just a lame Joker ripoff with Spider-Man powers. Yeesh, where were you in the '80s?
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon May 07, 2007 10:42 am

So it's ok that the Joker is retardedly exaggerated like that?
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Theta on Mon May 07, 2007 11:00 am

Pacino86845 wrote:So it's ok that the Joker is retardedly exaggerated like that?

You've seen Tim Sale's version, right? That's pretty restrained. Besides, it's an ad. If that's his new look in all the comics, THEN I'll be concerned!
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon May 14, 2007 8:45 pm

So I read issue #51. It wasn't incredible, but it was interesting. The Red Hood stuff was so-so, but Darkseid and the Monitors and that last page were enough to keep me around for a bit.

COUNTDOWN looks like its going to play a HUGE role in the DCU. That makes it a bit more exciting than 52.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon May 14, 2007 8:54 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:So it's ok that the Joker is retardedly exaggerated like that?

It's a drawing not a photograph.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri May 18, 2007 3:57 am

I think that this latest issue was much more representative of what we should come to expect from Countdown. I was surprised we didn't get a little editor's box noting that the one scene was ripped straight from JLA #8.

A strong issue, much better than the first overall. Although, I didn't like that Jimmy Olsen knew all of the secret identities. I mean how does HE have access to that info? Just seemed off. I can't wait for McKeever's issue. I have a man-crush on that dude. If you hop on over to the crazy and unmoderated Newsarama forums he posts there quite often and comes off as one stand up dude.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby silentbobafett on Fri May 18, 2007 4:38 am

So its 51 issues, and issue 51 has just come out?

Have I got time to get into this? I'm into comics, love DC, but have no huge bearing on the universe or all the characters...

Does this matter?

Will it be a good one to read and give me an understanding of the universe from now on?

I don't want to read 52.... do I have to? :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri May 18, 2007 4:56 am

silentbobafett wrote:So its 51 issues, and issue 51 has just come out?

Have I got time to get into this? I'm into comics, love DC, but have no huge bearing on the universe or all the characters...

Does this matter?

Will it be a good one to read and give me an understanding of the universe from now on?

I don't want to read 52.... do I have to? :-)

First, the series is weekly meaning that there will be 52 issues. They are counting backwards though so issue #51 was the very first issue of the series. The last issue withh be #0.

The series is meant to draw in new readers. It is supposed to serve as the backbone for the entire DCU. All you really need to know is that at the end of 52 the multiverse has returned and no one really knows what that means. Everything in the DCU is pretty confusing...even for people who have been reading mostly DCU books so it is hard to recommend. I would say check out issues #51 and 50 and see if you like em. You could always just *cough* download them *cough* and if you like it go out and buy them.

Hope that helps at all.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby silentbobafett on Fri May 18, 2007 5:13 am

Chears Lecko...

Didn't knwo you could get pirates of comics! Fuck... thats pretty funny! :-)

Yeah... multiverse... huh?

Like to know what it means though!

I'll give it ago... thanks! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri May 18, 2007 5:26 am

silentbobafett wrote:Chears Lecko...

Didn't knwo you could get pirates of comics! Fuck... thats pretty funny! :-)

Yeah... multiverse... huh?

Like to know what it means though!

I'll give it ago... thanks! :-)

Yes you can download comics. You have to download a viewer though. I don't generally condone it because lets face it...comic book writers aren't the best paid lot. But with the rising costs of comics it is hard not to recommend it to people just to try stuff out...but it only works if people end up actually buying the stuff that they enjoy. Same with all forms of downloading. It only works if you continue to support the creators.

As for the multiverse...well basically in the DCU there are 52 alternate earths. Each earth is different in some way. Thats pretty much all you need to know I believe.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby silentbobafett on Fri May 18, 2007 6:04 am

but it only works if people end up actually buying the stuff that they enjoy. Same with all forms of downloading. It only works if you continue to support the creators.

This is my view on piracy. If its shit, don't worry. If its good.... buy it! Downloading is to try it! :-)[/code]
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Countdown: Black Adam Getting his Powers Back...

Postby LargoJr on Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:51 am

The new magic word was 'Sorry'... that was why he asked Mary to tell Billy that. Billy was certain that, with the stubbornness that has plagued Teth his terribly long life, with him never really learning how to change, it was the one word he would never think of.

After all, Teth has never regretted or apologized for anything he's done that I know of... his pride wont let him.
Faster then the Speed Of Smell
LargoJr
GLIB

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:23 pm

From this weeks Countdown:

:shock:
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DennisMM on Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:07 pm

What's that in her hand?

I'm finding Countdown pretty disappointing when compared to 52 and it took me a while to warm to the latter. I just can't see what it's all about except making people spend another $2.50 every week.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:25 pm

Well obviously it's the true measure of a hero.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:47 pm

DennisMM wrote:What's that in her hand?

I'm finding Countdown pretty disappointing when compared to 52 and it took me a while to warm to the latter. I just can't see what it's all about except making people spend another $2.50 every week.

You mean $2.99. COUTNDOWN came with a price increase.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:07 am

Ugh, I forgot. One more reason to drop it if it doesn't heat up in the next few weeks. The silver-age Jimmy Olsen super powers are funny (Porcupine Olsen, Elastic Lad) and Mary Marvel is rather interesting but on the whole it's a flat reading experience.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:29 am

DennisMM wrote:Ugh, I forgot. One more reason to drop it if it doesn't heat up in the next few weeks. The silver-age Jimmy Olsen super powers are funny (Porcupine Olsen, Elastic Lad) and Mary Marvel is rather interesting but on the whole it's a flat reading experience.

I agree. I officially dropped it this week. I do not think it is a bad book, per se, but it just isn't enough to keep me invested each week. Dropping $2.99 a week is a lot for a book that has only been average...with a few dips into the above average territory. I decided to drop the book and invest that money in a book I am unfamiliar with. This week it was Thor #1.

I will simply read COUNTDOWN in the shop each week...and pick it up whenever McKeever is on as the writer.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:38 am

Re: The Joker

What, doesn't everyone have a pointy, 13 inch long chin?

Re: The True Measure of a Hero

Coincidentally, it seems to be about 13 inches.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:58 pm

Death of the New Gods?

What in the fuck is wrong with Dan Didio? I can understand a New God Massacre, but reading the interview, it sounds like this will be a complete purge. Darkseid has become of the bestest villains in the history of the medium, and I really don't want to see some lame reinvention in a few years when the inevitable revival happens.

God I hate this.

Why is DC just willy-nilly killing fucking everybody?
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Return to Comic Books