Lost and Desperate Housewives Coming to iTunes!!

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Lost and Desperate Housewives Coming to iTunes!!

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:58 pm

Here's the story:

The Walt Disney Company, Disney-ABC Television Group and Apple today announced they are offering current and past season episodes of ABC and Disney Channel television shows for download on Apple's iTunes Music Store, as part of the launch of iTunes 6.

The companies will start this collaborative initiative with five shows, including two of the most popular series on broadcast television, ABC's Desperate Housewives and Lost, as well as the new ABC drama Night Stalker, and the two most popular shows on Disney Channel, That's So Raven and The Suite Life of Zack & Cody. Current season episodes of the ABC series will be available for download from Apple's iTunes Music Store the day after they are broadcast, while the entire first season of Desperate Housewives and Lost will be available for download immediately.

Current season episodes of Disney Channel series will be available for download on an ongoing basis, with selected past episodes of That's So Raven and The Suite Life of Zack and Cody available beginning immediately. Customers can purchase and download current episodes or past season episodes with just one click and view them on their PC or Mac, and Auto-Sync them onto the new iPod for viewing anywhere.

"This initiative is a perfect example of us applying our strategic priorities, namely, marrying great content with cutting edge technology to more effectively distribute our content while enhancing the experience for our customers," said Robert A. Iger, CEO of The Walt Disney Company. "For the first time ever, hit primetime shows can be purchased online the day after they air on TV."

"Disney and Apple are offering customers a new and exciting way to experience television," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "To be able to download your favorite TV shows right from iTunes for just $1.99 and then watch them on your computer and iPod is revolutionary."

Sounds very cool. Can movies be far behind?
Last edited by MasterWhedon on Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Flumm on Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:04 pm

I'm not sure I like the idea of this. It's gonna make things feel really disposable no? There's something about wanting to catch something on TV, or waiting for the DVD's... having everying avaliable to DL (it's only gonna escalate beyond p2p and this afterall) - just seems to take away from things somehow....
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:13 pm

I'm down.

But I don't have cable so I'm in a different situation than a lot of others.

David Foster Wallace wrote about this very same idea in Infinite Jest. No more cable companies or big networks, people have the ability to choose exactly which shows they want to watch.

I likes.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:48 pm

I like the Idea if the iPod can easily be plugged into a TV set to play the files, the Screen on the thing is absolutely tiny, about half the size of the PSP and 4:3 from what I saw on the News.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Bean on Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:00 pm

Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:02 pm

Seriously... do we need this? Video in Hand has to be one of the weirdest fads right now. I can undertstand using it for communication, but watching a movie or a TV show? That's warped.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:06 pm

Yeah, but you can also play it on your screen.

Which is why I want it.

Will they have the same policy of allowing only 7 copies to be made?
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bean on Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:07 pm

What I want to know, is if you buy the show, do you now have to watch ads?
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:08 pm

Bean wrote:What I want to know, is if you buy the show, do you now have to watch ads?

That is the question.

I would think not, but you never know.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bluebottle on Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:42 pm

no, i watched the steve jobs presentation... i had it on in the background while i was writing...

anyway, NO, there won't be any ads.

What i want to know is, will ipods be able to play videos encoded with divx and the like.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bean on Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:43 pm

Nah, it'll probably be a special file-type, but I bet the new iTunes will be able to convert.
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:43 pm

Can you burn these episodes the DVD? Anyone?
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby bluebottle on Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:46 pm

i'm sure there'll be a way to burn 'em to dvd. someone will figure it out. but it won't be dvd quality.

and for certain shows, like lost, that are widescreen, they are being presented in the ipod ratio 4:3
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:49 pm

This is stupid. Honestly I just don't see the point of this. Buying a season of lost on DVD is like 3 bucks more than buying tiny versions for your iPod. I feel like I am in cuckoo land.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby bluebottle on Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:55 pm

you're right, it's totally stupid. it makes no sense, but people will eat it up, and fork over the dough.

it's all about being cool, having the coolest stuff, and being ON THE GO!
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:58 pm

Dumb kids.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:01 pm

I just think it'd be cool to have it available in case you miss the episode or you desperately want to see it again and haven't taped it. I wouldn't watch it on the iPod, but on the computer or TV.

I have no intention of buying every episode (I'll wait for DVD) and I'm disappointed that it won't be DVD quality, but it's an interesting move in the distribution game. We've all talked about studios making movies downloadable during their theatrical run, and I really don't think it's too far off.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby bluebottle on Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:02 pm

what i don't understand is, where does everyone get the money for all this stuff?!

i buy a couple dvds here and there, but to go out and buy a PSP and an ipod... I could never afford that.

dumb RICH kids.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:03 pm

Bluebottle wrote:dumb RICH kids.

Or fiscally responsible young turks who get nice presents for Christmas.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:08 pm

Bluebottle wrote:what i don't understand is, where does everyone get the money for all this stuff?!

i buy a couple dvds here and there, but to go out and buy a PSP and an ipod... I could never afford that.

dumb RICH kids.

I hear ya, I got my mini i-pod as a gift. It's not something I never would have bought on my own, but I kinda like having it. But mine is the cheapie, the one with only 240 song storage and no screen. :(

But I don't even have a cellular.

I'll be hacking out a dying smokers last laugh when all of you are bleeding out of your ears.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bean on Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:35 pm

I don't have a cell either, I mooch calls off of my friends' phones.
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby vicious_bastard on Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:01 pm

Seeing as I've filled up my 30gb Creative Zen NX and the headphone socket is fucked, I am tempted for the first time to get the 60gb video one. No way am I paying for hugely compressed movies though. I aint no sucka - mp4 converters are easily found - same format as PSP isn't it?

Muggers across the globe must be rubbing their hands with glee.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Return to Coaxial