The Green Hornet

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

What did you think of The Green Hornet?

About 7-8
17%
Chilli HATED it!
83%

Total votes : 6

The Green Hornet

Postby The Garbage Man on Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:50 pm

After many long years, the Green Hornet movie might finally get off the ground thanks to... Seth Rogen?
That's what Variety would have us believe:

Seth Rogen, action star?

The doughy star of this summer's breakout hit, "Knocked Up," is finalizing a deal to write, and likely star in, Columbia's bigscreen adaptation of "Green Hornet." He will exec produce, along with co-writer and frequent collaborator Evan Goldberg.

Rogen would play Brit Reid, millionaire publisher-turned-masked crime fighter -- a role George Clooney, Mark Wahlberg and Jake Gyllenhaal flirted with in various stages of the project's long gestation.

"The Green Hornet" started as a radio serial before being turned into a comicbook, film and TV skein by the 1960s. TV show was notable for the presence of the late Bruce Lee as sidekick Kato, a kung fu expert with a killer car.

However, the project -- which seems almost old-fashioned compared with today's elaborate superhero movies -- has struggled to get off the ground in recent years. Universal and Miramax both abandoned the project before producer Neal Moritz set it up at Columbia a few months ago (Daily Variety, March 21).

Rogen has developed into a potent double threat at the instigation of Judd Apatow, who cast the Canadian in "Undeclared" while he was still a teen and then pushed him to write for the short-lived skein. Rogen co-produced and appeared in a key supporting role in Apatow's "The 40-Year-Old Virgin" and has since set up several writing and acting projects around town. "Superbad," the first script he wrote with Goldberg, will bow from Columbia next month.

He originally wrote it for himself, but the project took so long to get off that ground that he has a supporting role as a cop in it. Rogen is skedded to appear at Comic-Con next week to tubthump the movie.

Also in the works: "The Pineapple Express," which he co-wrote and will star in for Col; and "Drillbit Taylor," a Paramount project. He has several acting projects in the works, including "The Spiderwick Chronicles," "Fanboys" and a voice for "Horton Hears a Who."

I have just one word for this...

The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:57 pm

To complete the "green team" trifecta, Will Ferrell is in talks to star as Green Arrow. He, Jack Black and Rogen will team up sometime around 2010.

EDIT: Also, why does Variety say "skein" all the time?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby buster00 on Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:59 pm

Seth Rogen writing Green Hornet? Maybe.

Seth Rogen playing Green Hornet? No way in hell. Not unless it's a spoof.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Zarles on Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:05 am

Ribbons wrote:Also, why does Variety say "skein" all the time?

Because they're obnoxious assholes who are always trying to coin new words in the entertainment industry. Skein means a new property or title either on TV or in the movies, I think. There are tons of phrases like this; all of them equally annoying.

I'd like to see Clooney play Brit Reid, and maybe someone like Jet Li as Kato. But as a comedy? Eh.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:22 am

buster00 wrote:Seth Rogen writing Green Hornet? Maybe.

Actually, once you see how super trim and um... normal looking he is in Superbad, you might change your mind.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby buster00 on Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:08 am

Zarles wrote:
Ribbons wrote:Also, why does Variety say "skein" all the time?

Because they're obnoxious assholes who are always trying to coin new words in the entertainment industry. Skein means a new property or title either on TV or in the movies, I think. There are tons of phrases like this; all of them equally annoying.

For you guys, "Variety Speak" from "Animaniacs." The song doesn't kick in until about a minute thirty in.

burlivesleftnut wrote:Actually, once you see how super trim and um... normal looking he is in Superbad, you might change your mind.

Huh. I knew he had something to do with the writing and shit, but I didn't know he was in it. I think that movie looks pretty funny.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:53 am

I'm down for Rogen in whatever. I enjoy his screen presence immensely.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Zarles on Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:03 am

Brilliant! Thanks, buster. :lol:
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:14 am

WTF, why do they keep going for the goofy-looking mofos for this role? I remember when Kevin Smith was attached, he was locked on Gyllenhaal. This makes no sense to me.
Last edited by Adam Balm on Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:02 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:
buster00 wrote:Set h Rogen writing Green Hornet? Maybe.

Actually, once you see how super trim and um... normal looking he is in Superbad, you might change your mind.

But does he look like a "millionaire publisher"?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:18 am

It "could" work. Im defintiely down with him directing.

Him starring I'm not so sure about, but Green Hornet has had a bunch of incarnations over the years so why not change it up?
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:58 pm

so sorry wrote:
burlivesleftnut wrote:
buster 00 wrote:Set h Rogen writing Green Hornet? Maybe.

But does he look like a "millionaire publisher"?

Actually, yes. Wait to see superbad or at least some promo shots from the film before judging. He looks lean and has a charisma I had not seen from him before. I will add, that until seeing Superbad, I didn't like Rogen. At. All.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DennisMM on Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:59 pm

Actually, The Green Hornet is one of those heroes who can manage being out of shape. He carries guns and Kato does the ass-kicking. Until I see otherwise, I'm calling Rogen a poor choice.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Fawst on Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:40 pm

DennisMM wrote:Actually, The Green Hornet is one of those heroes who can manage being out of shape. He carries guns and Kato does the ass-kicking. Until I see otherwise, I'm calling Rogen a poor choice.

I saw what you did there... you zigged before you zagged. That was an interesting bait and switch :) Honestly, I totally thought you were down with Rogen, then bam, switcheroo.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:56 pm

Regardless of his fitness, I don't like Rogen's face. He's not handsome enough; it's as if Jon Favreau were playing Iron Man.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby Maui on Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:15 pm

I hate to say this, especially since Rogen is Canadian, but he is too dweeby looking for this role. I had a hard enough time accepting Macguire as Spiderman, now this. :roll:
Maui
WoWie

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:17 pm

I agree that Rogen doesn't have to look good to pull this off. Kato kicks the ass, not GH.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby The Garbage Man on Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:58 pm

According to the LA Times, the movie will be a comedic take on GH (duh) and Rogen wants Stephen Chow to play Kato.

Now that's good casting; Chow can do action and comedy with the best of 'em. Hell, they should have him direct the damn thing too.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby buster00 on Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:01 pm

Stephen Chow kicks at least eighty different kinds of ass, but I'm not keen on the comedic take. They'll have to convince me.

Chow directing? Now that's a good idea.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:36 am

This sounds incredibly promising to me. I don' get why this movie wouldn't actually benefit from a comedic take. It's the Green Hornet, not Batman.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DennisMM on Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:54 am

Why would a comedic version of Batman be any less appropriate?
DennisMM

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:59 am

Because Batman has evolved past his 1960s parody phase. The Green Hornet has no definitive "serious" version.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby minstrel on Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:01 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:Because Batman has evolved past his 1960s parody phase. The Green Hornet has no definitive "serious" version.

Batman is "The Dark Knight". Maybe Green Hornet is "The Green Knight".
His nemesis could be named Sir Gawain. It writes itself!

:)
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

The Green Hornet (Now with 100% more Rogen!)

Postby bastard_robo on Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:40 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:Because Batman has evolved past his 1960s parody phase. The Green Hornet has no definitive "serious" version.

WTF?

Did you ever watch the show? It was a 180 from what Batman was doing at the same time, (and they were both produced by fox at the same time) If you ever watched the CROSSOVER show they did, you'd see the diffrence from Batman's camp and Green Hornets straightforwardness.

I own the series on bootleg, and its actually really good and fairly straight forward.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:06 am

Nope.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby bastard_robo on Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:09 am

Then I recommend that you do!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:12 am

All the "green" heroes bore me.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby bastard_robo on Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:15 am

EVEN THE GREEN RANGER????????????????
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby godzillasushi on Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:41 am

RT wrote:If you greeted the news of Seth Rogen starring in a new Green Hornet movie less than enthusiastically, you were not alone -- something Rogen is aware of, and to his credit, not terribly concerned about.

Speaking with MTV Movies, Rogen sums up the online response to his plans for Green Hornet as follows:

"[The fan reaction] was a little surprising. I love the idea! I think it's going to be a unique and interesting movie," the jocular always-self-deprecating Rogen announced, before adding with a laugh, "but nerds love complaining. You go on Ain't It Cool News, and everybody complains about everything. They could find out Jesus Christ was making a movie with Frank Miller, and they'd say, 'That's a terrible combination!' "

Describing his Hornet vision as "not like any superhero movie...more like a regular action movie," Rogen says that he and co-writer Evan Goldberg have prepared two outlines for the film -- one comedic, the other less so -- but admits that "it's really hard to wrap our head around the movie until we've written the script," something that will have to wait until the writers' strike is resolved.

And what about the idea that Rogen and Goldberg shouldn't be trying to write an action movie at all? Again, Rogen understands the skepticism, but tells MTV that fans should wait until they see his next movie, The Pineapple Express, described in the article as "a high-octane action/comedy."

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10008556-green_hornet/news/1692624/
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:50 am

Write or produce?
Si.
BE the Green Hornet?
Please. Don't.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby yorrick brown on Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:34 am

about green hornet movie

Rogen and [co-writer] Goldberg have been hard at work hammering out a draft and figuring out what kind of tone they'd like to strike. Their options boil down to this: were they writing Kato as a Jet Li-type asskicker or a more comedic (but still formidable) Stephen Chow type. It sounded like Rogen and Goldberg were leaning toward Chow last year, and, happily, that hasn't changed: they definitely want some Chow. What they don't want, however, is a bumbling Green Hornet; preferably, the film's comedy would come out of a less traditional take on the hero/sidekick relationship. In Rogen's own words, No movie has done this since Batman and Robin.
Should I call you Bullet? Tooth?
You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
yorrick brown
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:00 am

The releae date for Green Hornet is June 25, 2010.
source :/film.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby WinslowLeach on Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:51 am

I dont think this should be a comedy. Seth Rogaine as Brit Reid? WTF is that about? Hes a big curly haired chunk. They need to do this as a straight up serious action film and have some good stars in there. I dont want some Starsky and Hutch-esque film. Blech.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Zarles on Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:55 am

10 bucks says Brit Reid is a millionaire comic book publisher in this.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:29 am

Wait, that slashdot article said that Rogan is writing it... I don't think it said he's starring in it.

Or I completely read it wrong...

And count me in with the "he's not a superhero type" crowd.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:23 pm

Heather Newgen wrote:Seth Rogen on The Green Hornet

"It's a very intense action movie and the relationship between Green Hornet and Kato, a lot of comedy comes from that. At first actually, we weren't even sure going in we could be more of a gently type guy who maybe isn't the funniest guy in the world, but he's physically very impressive or whether it would be more of a Stephen Chow type guy who can do martial arts, but clearly has a sense of humor. In the version that we've made it seems like a Stephen Chow type guy would be more suitable for the role. Again, until they officially greenlight it, it's hard to make any of those decisions," Rogen continued.

But that isn't stopping the comedian from searching for someone to helm the comic book film. "We have been meeting with directors and stuff even though we haven't been greenlit. We just kind of took it upon ourselves to kind of begin conservations with people. I'm really excited. It seems like it might really happen."

Read the full article @ SuperHeroHype!
Last edited by TheButcher on Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: The Green Hornet (Now with 100% more Rogen!)

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:35 am

Wow, he really wants Stephen Chow. It's funny, it seems like more and more these days, actors get attached to projects by being rumored for a part on the net, and then agents talk, etc etc.. Funny.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby hackett on Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:51 am

Wasn't The Green Hornet a radio serial turn TV Show? Like the Shadow there were comics spun off from it.

From my experience with some people in the industry they probably hear "i have this idea ... for the green hornet" and say something like " oh yeah, that show was so corny and stupid, i can't believe that i like it...let's get Jack Black o play the lead!". They probably aren't open minded enough to make it dark. Thank god for the great minds at DC in the 80s / Tim Burton or we might be seeing Will Ferrell as Batman and Jonah Hill as Robin.
http://vimeo.com/pandachase - now in technicolor
hackett
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Fantasea on Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:46 pm

Rogen as The Green Hornet!?!? This is a joke, right? This has to be a joke. This is a joke![u][/u]
"Where Magic meets the sea and Dreams become reality."
Fantasea
GLIB

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:20 am

Fantasea wrote:Rogen as The Green Hornet!?!? This is a joke, right? This has to be a joke. This is a joke![u][/u]

No...
This is a joke...

The Green Hornet and Kato walk into a bar...
Green Hornet is holding a paper bag in his one hand...
They both go and sit down at the bar and order some beer.
Kato finally gets The Hornet to show him what's in the bag...
Hornet reaches into the paper bag, and proceeds to pull out a 12 inch Pianist playing a similarly miniatured piano, and places it on the bar.
Kato is understandably confused, and he mentions this to Hornet.
Green Hornet takes a couple of large swigs of beer, and then a deep breath...eventually he decides to spill the beans.
Rumour has it that The Green Hornet met up with a mystical genie...but it was a very lazy ass genie...so it only gave the Hornet one wish...

Kato still doesn't understand...
Why would the Hornet wish for a 12 inch Pianist...?
Hornet chugs back the remainder of his beer in one fell swoop of his mouth...
He turns back to his trusty Kato, and says:

The Green Hornet wrote:Well...there seems to have been a bit of a communication problem...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:35 am

That joke was terrible, Havoc. The punchline should have been...

Kato wrote: Hey Green Hornet, why is there a 12 inch pianist wedged up your ass?

The Green Hornet wrote:Well...there seems to have been a bit of a communication problem...
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:38 am

Retardo_Montalban wrote:That joke was terrible, Havoc.

Don't blame me...
Blame Seth Rogen...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:40 am

Seth Rogen is a retard, and you should have known better.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:46 am

I blame the fact that my green grocer gave me hash instead of green...

I am not to be trusted at this moment...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby TheButcher on Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:34 pm

From AICN:
Why Stop At Playing Kato? Stephen Chow To Direct THE GREEN HORNET!!! :eek:
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/38402
According to The Hollywood Reporter, the director-star of SHAOLIN SOCCER, KUNG FU HUSTLE and CJ7 (reportedly a cinch for Moriarty Jr.'s 2008 Top Ten list) will indeed call the shots on this long-gestating project (currently scheduled for a June 25, 2010 release). This will also serve as Stephen Chow's American filmmaking debut, which is pretty cool considering that the televised GREEN HORNET introduced Chow's hero, Bruce Lee, to American audiences back in the 1960s. Here's Chow's quote from the Reporter:

"I'm excited to be taking on 'The Green Hornet' -- obviously I've been a huge fan of the show since I was a kid," Chow said. "The idea of stepping into Bruce Lee's shoes as Kato is both humbling and thrilling, and to get the chance to direct the project as my American movie debut is simply a dream come true."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby buster00 on Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:15 pm

Now With 200% More STEPHEN CHOW! This is very exciting. I cannot wait to see what Chow can do with a studio budgeted superhero flick.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bastard_robo on Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:59 pm

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!!!!!!!!

Rogen writing and staring! CHOW DIRECTING AND STARING!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it is now easily my most anticipated film forth right!!!!!
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:13 am

So much staring!
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby travis-dane on Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:24 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:So much staring!

Stop staring at me dude!
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Stephen Chow

Postby TheButcher on Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:01 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Next

Return to Movie Discussion