The Simpsons Movie

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

mmm...

Beer
27%
Forbidden Donut
4%
Chocolate
8%
Sprinkles
15%
Candy
4%
64 slices of American Cheese
15%
Free goo
No votes
Something
4%
Slanty
No votes
Incapacitating
4%
Sacrilicious
19%

Total votes : 26

Postby buster00 on Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:21 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:just got back from seeing it.

meh.

So, on a meh out of ten, that's...?
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:42 am

5 I guess.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby tapehead on Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:01 am

Vintage Simpsons fun on the big screen - shame it lacks a coherent story all the way through, but it doesn't matter.
I hope once the tv version ends we might get a few more of these in years to come. Eminently re-watchable just because there is so much that happens.
On it's own terms, it's at least as much fun as the Family Guy Feature length, and works much better than the Aqua Teen Hunger Force Movie. Not really a work for the 'cinema', but I know I'll watch it at least a few times more in the future.
It makes me sad to think the show will end, as it's been a part of my world since I was fourteen of fifteen, so considering that, I'm pretty sentimental towards this show, and the version I saw this weekend in a packed movie house has elements of the best parts of it.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Nordling on Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:53 am

I really enjoyed this. Although... there's a scene missing, in my opinion...

Cargill goes into the office, thoroughly defeated. He turns to a corner of the room. "I'm sorry sir, I failed to destroy Springfield."

We see a desk, and a chair turned facing away from the audience. "Then we will implement plan B. Ha. Hahahaha. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!" The chair turns, and SIDESHOW BOB maniacally laughs, before being smacked in the face by a rake.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Chilli on Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:33 am

Nordling wrote:I really enjoyed this. Although... there's a scene missing, in my opinion...

Cargill goes into the office, thoroughly defeated. He turns to a corner of the room. "I'm sorry sir, I failed to destroy Springfield."

We see a desk, and a chair turned facing away from the audience. "Then we will implement plan B. Ha. Hahahaha. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!" The chair turns, and SIDESHOW BOB maniacally laughs, before being smacked in the face by a rake.

Don't doubt. Would've improved the film from a 6/10 to a 7.5/10.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Maui on Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:48 am

As a hardcore Simpson fan from the very beginning, I really don't care if this movie isn't that superb - I just want some cheesy laughs and expect to be entertained. :D
Maui
WoWie

Postby Hermanator X on Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:08 pm

I laughed my ass off all the way through the movie. And I have been extremely jaded by recent seasons. Enjoyed it well beyond my expectations.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:46 pm

I hope the pig is a new cast member on the show.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Chilli on Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:55 pm

That Pig is ten times funnier than Lisa. What a bitch she really is.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:02 pm

Chilli wrote:That Pig is ten times funnier than Lisa. What a bitch she really is.

LECKO HATES STRO...

oops, force of habit.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:41 pm

#1 movie this weekend - $71.8M
Maui
WoWie

Postby Al Shut on Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:07 am

As a movie I ould say fairly entertaining but compared to other Simpson glory it's just upper midfield. The beginning before the dome story kicks in was the best and I really missed the pig at the end.

7/10 probably
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby buster00 on Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:24 pm

Al_Shut wrote:As a movie I ould say fairly entertaining but compared to other Simpson glory it's just upper midfield. The beginning before the dome story kicks in was the best and I really missed the pig at the end.

7/10 probably

Did you see the film in English, or auf Deutsch?
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Al Shut on Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:53 am

German, which reminds me that I hated Colin and disliked President Schwarzenegger. Normaly all accents are eradicated due to dubbing unless somebody decides they're somehow important, then they become unbearable overdone most of the time.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Maui on Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:38 pm

Cute, funny, dorky, and silly.

I give this a 7 out of 10.

I especially enjoyed Bart skateboarding in the buff.

What happened to the pig? Will that be in the sequel?
Maui
WoWie

Postby Zarles on Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:45 pm

Can he swing?
From a web?
No, he can't!
He's a pig...
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:46 pm

I much preferred H/arry Plopper.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Zarles on Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:48 pm

I missed him in the second half of the movie. I kept expecting him to meet a very Pinchy-esque end, but he just kinda dropped out.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chilli on Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:56 pm

Al_Shut wrote:German, which reminds me that I hated Colin and disliked President Schwarzenegger. Normaly all accents are eradicated due to dubbing unless somebody decides they're somehow important, then they become unbearable overdone most of the time.

It should've been President Wolfcastle.

That Pig was pretty good, but I prefered the Lobster they used on the actual show. Now THAT was funny.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby LaDracul on Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:48 pm

Mr. Pinchy!!!

I think they even had a giant-size action figure of Homer that had Pinchy as an accessory.
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby havocSchultz on Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:48 pm

Chilli wrote:
Al_Shut wrote:German, which reminds me that I hated Colin and disliked President Schwarzenegger. Normaly all accents are eradicated due to dubbing unless somebody decides they're somehow important, then they become unbearable overdone most of the time.

I agree...

Or, for easier access:

On Friday, July 27th, havoc wrote:My only real main concern was President Schwarzenegger...

What the fuck happened to Ranier Wolfcastle - why not just make him the President...he's their "Ah-nuld" anyways...

I thought it just didn't work like it should've...which is too bad - cause A. Brooks had some nice scenes with the President...

The only reason it should've been Ah-nuld is if they actually got the real Ah-nuld to do the voice...

Otherwise - I had a great time...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Maui on Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:06 pm

havocSchultz wrote:
Chilli wrote:

I agree...

Or, for easier access:

On Friday, July 27th, havoc wrote:My only real main concern was President Schwarzenegger...

What the fuck happened to Ranier Wolfcastle - why not just make him the President...he's their "Ah-nuld" anyways...

I thought it just didn't work like it should've...which is too bad - cause A. Brooks had some nice scenes with the President...

The only reason it should've been Ah-nuld is if they actually got the real Ah-nuld to do the voice...

The Tom Hanks stuff was funny, and it was the real Tom Hanks!
Maui
WoWie

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:10 pm

havocSchultz wrote:I agree...

first concurrence!

for Mrs. Schultz access...

why use Schwarzenegger...
by keepcoolbutcare Jun 22nd, 2007
03:33:07 AM
when they already have Rainier "Luftwaffe" Wolfcastle? This had better be addressed with a witty aside, dammit!

yeah yeah, show's not funny anymore, yeah yeah, we miss the (g)olden days, but, c'mon, look who's producing/writing (sadly, no Conan)/directing...those are the folks responsible for those early years of brilliance.

and you know they didn't do it for the cash, those guys are loaded. I would only be cautiously optimistic, but each and every trailer and teaser has elicited at least a chuckle out of me...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chilli on Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:10 pm

Maui wrote:
havocSchultz wrote:
Chilli wrote:

I agree...

Or, for easier access:

The Tom Hanks stuff was funny, and it was the real Tom Hanks!

It was. But if you're not going to get Ah-nuld in to cameo as himself, why include him at all? Especially when a self-created character such as Wolfcastle is far funnier.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Ribbons on Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:14 pm

Chilli wrote:It was. But if you're not going to get Ah-nuld in to cameo as himself, why include him at all? Especially when a self-created character such as Wolfcastle is far funnier.

The only thing I can think of is that they were afraid people wouldn't get the joke unless it was actually Schwarzenegger. Either that, or they're too dogmatic about their characters to make Wolfcastle into a politician, even if he is an Ah-nuld manque...
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Chilli on Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:15 pm

Ribbons wrote:
Chilli wrote:It was. But if you're not going to get Ah-nuld in to cameo as himself, why include him at all? Especially when a self-created character such as Wolfcastle is far funnier.

The only thing I can think of is that they were afraid people wouldn't get the joke unless it was actually Schwarzenegger. Either that, or they're too dogmatic about their characters to make Wolfcastle into a politician, even if he is an Ah-nuld manque...

Isn't Wolfcastle part of the evil Republican group Mr. Burns fronts?
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Ribbons on Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:16 pm

Chilli wrote:Isn't Wolfcastle part of the evil Republican group Mr. Burns fronts?

Is he? :oops: I honestly don't know...
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Chilli on Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:18 pm

Ribbons wrote:
Chilli wrote:Isn't Wolfcastle part of the evil Republican group Mr. Burns fronts?

Is he? :oops: I honestly don't know...

Heh.

I get that there might be some apprehension, but The Simpsons isn't known for strict continuity or adherence to existing material. In fact, it seems easier for them to use Ah-nuld than to use Wolfcastle at this stage.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Maui on Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:23 pm

Chilli wrote:

It was. But if you're not going to get Ah-nuld in to cameo as himself, why include him at all? Especially when a self-created character such as Wolfcastle is far funnier.

The Governator make fun of himself? :shock:

Yeah, I hear ya. I thought he was still funny, even if it wasn't the real Ah-nuld.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Zarles on Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:31 pm

Who keeps down the electric car?
Who makes Steve Guttenberg a movie star?

We do! We dooooooooo!!!
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:17 am

Ah yes, the StoneCutters - more a satire of the Masons than the Republicans.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:01 am

The Republican Cabal that Burns leads is made up of Ranier "Luftwafte" Wolfcastle, Dr Julis Hibbert, Birch Barlow - a local right-wing talk show host who authored the "well selling book" Only Turkeys Have Left Wings, the blue haired Lawyer who works for Burns, the rich texan cowboy and Count Dracula.
It features in the episode Sideshow Bob Roberts when he runs for Mayor.
TonyWilson

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:21 am

TonyWilson wrote:The Republican Cabal that Burns leads is made up of Ranier "Luftwafte" Wolfcastle, Dr Julis Hibbert, Birch Barlow - a local right-wing talk show host who authored the "well selling book" Only Turkeys Have Left Wings, the blue haired Lawyer who works for Burns, the rich texan cowboy and Count Dracula.

Birch Barlow: You know, there are three things we're never going to get rid of here in Springfield: one, the bats in the public library...
two, Mrs. McFierly's compost heap...
and three, our six-term mayor, the illiterate, tax-cheating, wife-swapping, pot-smoking, spendocrat Diamond Joe Quimby.
Quimby: Hey: I am no longer illiterate.

Moose: Duh, stay out of Riverdale.

Sideshow BoB: You want the truth? You can't handle the truth. No truth-handler, you!
Bah!
I deride your truth-handling abilities.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:24 am

Ok, KC, will you explain the Riverdale thing?
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:35 am

TonyWilson wrote:Ok, KC, will you explain the Riverdale thing?

i don't think there really is an explanation, just another example of why using Homer as a side character rather than the main attraction works so well. We, the viewers, get to imagine just what the fuck he might've done to honk off the good, honest, strong-moral-fiber denizens of Riverdale.

attempt to kidnap the school mascot? Ogle Betty and Veronica? Sing "Sugar, Sugar" off-key?

we'll never know, but it's fun to imagine...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:59 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:Ok, KC, will you explain the Riverdale thing?

i don't think there really is an explanation, just another example of why using Homer as a side character rather than the main attraction works so well. We, the viewers, get to imagine just what the fuck he might've done to honk off the good, honest, strong-moral-fiber denizens of Riverdale.

attempt to kidnap the school mascot? Ogle Betty and Veronica? Sing "Sugar, Sugar" off-key?

we'll never know, but it's fun to imagine...

But what's Riverdale and why is it full of people with strong moral fibre, is this some cultural thing I'm missing?
TonyWilson

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:59 am

Archie Comics?
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chilli on Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:05 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:Archie Comics?

Yep.

Those comics were from an innocent time. Its the contrast between their wholesome values and the fact that Homer is an alcoholic, violent, mysoginistic and sexist man who chokes his son.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:12 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:Archie Comics?

Ah cheers, dude.
Name rings a bell but that's it. I don't think we have a UK equivalent. A wiki'ing I go.
TonyWilson

Postby tapehead on Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:24 am

TonyWilson wrote:The Republican Cabal that Burns leads is made up of Ranier "Luftwafte" Wolfcastle, Dr Julis Hibbert, Birch Barlow - a local right-wing talk show host who authored the "well selling book" Only Turkeys Have Left Wings, the blue haired Lawyer who works for Burns, the rich texan cowboy and Count Dracula.

Oh yeah - now I know what you're talkin' 'bout.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Maui on Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:10 am

Archie comics? I have a whole stash of those. Betty, Veronica, Jughead, Archie, Reggie. Good stuff!!!
Maui
WoWie

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:58 am

The Dino, he finally hadda the chance a to watch a this over the weekend, eh? I hadda the Groening anna the Brooks over to a the villa, anna they brought a the copy, eh? They say "Dino, it's a not our best a work, but a we hadda to make a the movie sooner or a the later, no? Watch it anna tell us what a you think, eh?"

Overall, it was onna the high side of a the "meh," no? She certainly was a the no tomacco episode, eh? The Dino, he missed alla the extras anna side-characters like a the Groundskeeper Willie anna such, who can always a be counted onna for a the good laugh, but inna the film, they were pushed offa to a the side for just a the visual cameos, like a the David Silverman, that goddamn putz, he say "holy crappa! We forgot a to put a the Willie scene inna the movie?!? Better just a to draw him inna this scene, eh? That will take care of alla those fanatical Willie bastards, no?"

Although I did like that a we gotta ourselves a the new Simpson quote, eh?

"Bountiful penis."

Hehehehehehe....

The Dino, he rates a the Simpson movie a the goddamn 6!
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Maui on Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:30 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:"Bountiful penis."

As much as that scene of Bart skateboarding nude was cute, did anyone else think "Austin Powers" opening scene to movie? Where Austin is going through the hotel in the buff and they are constantly hiding his privates with various things. I did! :roll:
Maui
WoWie

Postby Al Shut on Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:32 pm

But thank god Austin Powers didn't show you anything.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Maui on Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:34 pm

Al_Shut wrote:But thank god Austin Powers didn't show you anything.

There's the difference!
Maui
WoWie

Postby Ribbons on Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:26 pm

I'm surprised by how much I loved this movie.

I really didn't expect it to be very good, and for some people I guess that still holds, but very few jokes fell flat for me. It's a little more madcap than most vintage "Simpsons" episodes, true, but I don't know if it's fair to compare a 22-minute story to a 90-some-minute one; I think the movie kind of needs that energy to give it momentum. I also think director David Silverman did a commendable job of giving at least a couple of the lamer jokes a deadpan subtlety instead of letting them just curl up and die like they do too often on the show these days.

The biggest complaint that I have is that certain plot developments seemed like they were recycled from old episodes and stuck together. One of the Simpsons being tempted to join the Flanders; Marge leaving Homer; Homer's vision quest. I also kind of regret the underuse of Springfield's supporting cast; seems like a missed opportunity not to take advantage of that embarrassment of riches. But Homer (and Dan Castalanetta) carry the film and then some.

The story definitely doesn't take advantage of the medium and the relaxed censorship policies that said medium provides, but a couple of gags involving well-placed genitals and middle fingers are great ones. The eskimo lady and her pendulous boobs was probably overkill, though.

Two new characters and one deceased one? I assume that the new character Groening has mentioned in the papers is Colin, Lisa's boyfriend, although I, like every other sucker who ate up the movie, want to know what happened to Spider-Pig (a.k.a. Hairy Plopper)! Also, did Dr. Nick actually die...?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby LaDracul on Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:28 pm

I hope not, but then again, Marvin Monroe was said to be dead, but then shows up later in the series.
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Previous

Return to Animation