The "MUST-OWN" Index

Betamax and beyond

The "MUST-OWN" Index

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:43 pm

Thread for getting on advice on DVD purchases, getting recommendations and asking people to make decisions for you because you are lazy and indecisive.
{I have searched for a similar thread, and couldn't find one.}

So play.com has a "3 for £15" deal on. I'm using the opportunity to buy the extended editions of both The Bourne Identity & The Bourne Supremacy. But I cannot decide what to get for the third choice. Most of the titles I've considered are scifi films I usually go for and never watch again.

I need recommendations from this list here, please.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fawst on Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:47 pm

Wow, could they have a harder to navigate list? Fuck it, first title I saw on that first page I would recommend to anyone is A Very Long Engagement.

Or, Adventures in Babysitting.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chilli on Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:48 pm

Snatch.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby LaDracul on Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:52 pm

Okay, I'll go with-

10 Things I Hate About You
A Knight's Tale
Aardman Animation
50 First Dates

Hmm...I'm not going to search through 1,100 plus DVDs.

Anyway, it just seems that sometimes UK cover art beats the US ones...take "Bruce Allmighty" for instance.

Yeah, I'm getting off topic, but I'm a big Angloist. (I think that's the term for Britwits...)
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:59 pm

10 Rillinton Place is fanfauckingtastic. If you like Richard Attenborough playing one of the nastiest psychos ever. And John Hurt is great in it too.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:08 pm

while this borders, but does not cross over into, shameless (unless you work for Play.com or, even more dastardly, receive some kinda credit from them for each hit you send to their site), how is this not self-promotion?

regardless, I find it pretty shameless, and damn near bloggish.

explain, or face the dreaded purgatory of the S-SP Room!

(but I would go with...

24 Hour Party People
A Better Tomorrow 2 (best. action. finale. ever!)
A Little Princess
A Scanner Darkly

...and that's just on page 1!)
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Vegeta on Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:23 pm

Only went three pages in, but I would definetly get:

An American Werewolf in London

or

Big Trouble in Little China
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby godzillasushi on Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:31 pm

How are the extras on the Hot Fuzz DVD's?
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:39 pm

Wow, I could buy about 20 or so of those in a heartbeat at that price... if only they delivered to the states...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Seppuku on Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:55 pm

In order of awesomeness:

Dora the Explorer: Christmas
Dora the Explorer: Dora's Egg Hunt
Dora the Explorer: Super Silly Fiesta

Some people would probably put Siesta over Egg Hunt, but they'd be wrong.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby St. Alphonzo on Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:56 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:In order of awesomeness:

Dora the Explorer: Christmas
Dora the Explorer: Dora's Egg Hunt
Dora the Explorer: Super Silly Fiesta

Some people would probably put Siesta over Egg Hunt, but they'd be wrong.

Sad thing is... I've seen two of 'em.

And none of them can touch Dance To The Rescue!
Last edited by St. Alphonzo on Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:58 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:while this borders, but does not cross over into, shameless (unless you work for Play.com or, even more dastardly, receive some kinda credit from them for each hit you send to their site), how is this not self-promotion?

regardless, I find it pretty shameless, and damn near bloggish.

explain, or face the dreaded purgatory of the S-SP Room!

(but I would go with...

24 Hour Party People
A Better Tomorrow 2 (best. action. finale. ever!)
A Little Princess
A Scanner Darkly

...and that's just on page 1!)

No need to put this in SSP. We can just use this for the DVD rec's now.

And I'll repeat Stander it really is quite fantastic.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Chilli on Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:00 pm

Vegeta wrote:Only went three pages in, but I would definetly get:

An American Werewolf in London

or

Big Trouble in Little China

Saw AAWIL last year. Bloody good Werewolf film. Big Trouble is pretty damn solid too. Shame the two directors kinda fell off the cinematic landscape.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:00 pm

Crimewave, the sam raimi "flop" I used to love it when i wor a yung un, and I got it in the same deal a while back, its great fun with a few moments of genius.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Fievel on Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:13 pm

list is TOO BIG!!!!!

-Almost Famous
-BMX Bandits
-Goodfellas
-Leon
-Layer Cake
-Drunken Master
-Returner
-The Breakfast Club
-Twelve Monkeys
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby DennisMM on Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:28 pm

Capote
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby The Vicar on Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:44 pm

DennisMM wrote:1984
Capote

Which 1984?
Richard Burton & John Hurt ( my choice )?
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:32 pm

The Vicar wrote:
DennisMM wrote:1984
Capote

Which 1984?
Richard Burton & John Hurt ( my choice )?

Yeah. That's one I'm probably opting for.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Recommend a DVD / What Would You Buy?

Postby bastard_robo on Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:05 am

Cant go wrong with the following:

THE HOST

The LAST DRAGON

Cowboy Bebop the Movie

Howls Moving Castle

Any of Kevin Smiths dvd's (they're always packed with great extras!)

They Live

Monster Squad

Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas (the criterion version)

Ichi the Killer

The original GODZILLA (a set that contains both the american and original version)
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

MUST OWN: Mandatory ttle in your collection.

Postby bastard_robo on Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:14 pm

I was have a chat with a group of friends the other night at Denny's around 4 am and we started talking about the DVD's we own. One of my friends asked for my copy of BACK TO THE FUTURE TRILOGY to watch as he didn't own it already. The chatter at the table turned to dead silcence as if some one had just been sodomized in front of us all. The "WHAT THE FUCKS" went around the table as to why BTTF wasn't in his DVD collection? My friend simply stated that he never got around to buying it. Thats when "DUDE, its a Must Own" was brought up.

Which got us talking about what DVD titles are ESSENTIAL for any movie collector.

I'm not talking about odd ball films. I own Last Dragon, no one else in my circle dose, but then again half of them have never seen it. On the other hand, we have all seen Back to the Future and just about all of us own it.

So what say you? What would you say are DVD titles that NEED to be in your Library?
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Re: MUST OWN: Mandatory ttle in your collection.

Postby Peven on Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:29 pm

bastard_robo wrote:I was have a chat with a group of friends the other night at Denny's around 4 am and we started talking about the DVD's we own. One of my friends asked for my copy of BACK TO THE FUTURE TRILOGY to watch as he didn't own it already. The chatter at the table turned to dead silcence as if some one had just been sodomized in front of us all. The "WHAT THE FUCKS" went around the table as to why BTTF wasn't in his DVD collection? My friend simply stated that he never got around to buying it. Thats when "DUDE, its a Must Own" was brought up.

Which got us talking about what DVD titles are ESSENTIAL for any movie collector.

I'm not talking about odd ball films. I own Last Dragon, no one else in my circle dose, but then again half of them have never seen it. On the other hand, we have all seen Back to the Future and just about all of us own it.

So what say you? What would you say are DVD titles that NEED to be in your Library?

well, BTTF would NOT be one of them :-P :wink:

let's see, "Gone With the Wind", "Wizard of Oz", "African Queen", "Rear Window", "To Kill a Mockingbird", "Twelve Angry Men", "The Yearling", "Lawrence of Arabia", "Ben Hur", "M.A.S.H.", "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner", "In the Heat of the Night", "Outlaw Josey Wales", "Midnight Cowboy", "The Godfather" I and II, "Jaws".........that is a start anyway....
Last edited by Peven on Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Re: The "MUST-OWN" Index

Postby darkjedijaina on Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:33 pm

don't forget Evil Dead II.... ;)
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby Peven on Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:50 pm

darkjedijaina wrote:don't forget Evil Dead II.... ;)

thats ok, DJJ, you can have my copy :wink: :lol:

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby bastard_robo on Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:36 am

Shit. Forgot all about this thread, (hence why I made the other one up)

— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby ChaoticMoira on Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:55 am

The Goonies, Beetle Juice, Ghostbusters, Nightmare on Elm St. 1-5000, Princess Bride are a few. Back to the Future is DEFINITELY for me as well!
ChaoticMoira
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby minstrel on Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:47 pm

2001, A Clockwork Orange, Dr. Strangelove, Full Metal Jacket.
Apocalypse Now.
Jaws.
The Ten Commandments. Casablanca. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre.
Toy Story, Toy Story 2, The Incredibles. The Iron Giant.
etc.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:08 pm

Essentials for me. (Copied from my Facebook, because I'm lazy).

1. The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring
Review: It's like my imagination on screen. I couldn't believe I was actually watching what I had imagined when I read the books. I view the entire sage as one film though. It's hard to spearate them in my mind. I honestly doubt I'll see a greater cinematic achievement during my lifetime. Edit Rating
2. The Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers
Review: More action than Fellowship, but suffers a bit from being the middle chapter. Still amazing, though. Edit Rating
3. The Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King
Review: A great end to a 12+ hour saga. I prefer all of the extended editions, though. Edit Rating
4. Pulp Fiction
Review: Tarantino's masterpiece. Samuel L. Jackson will always be Jules. Some of the best dialogue in any film, ever. Man, was '94 a great year for movies, or what? Edit Rating
5. Fight Club
Review: People that think this is about violence for no reason don't have a clue. I love the social commentary in this film. It's strangely similar to AMERICAN BEAUTY, which also was released in '99. I just don't see how that film can be praised and adored by people that say Fight Club is a terrible film. I love it. Edit Rating
6. The Dark Knight
Review: The best comic based film ever (and one of the best crime films), sitting above Spidey 2, Superman, Iron Man, X2, and Batman Begins. Nolan has done an amazing job. Ledger is simply great, but so is Ekhart, Bale, Oldman, and pretty much everyone involved. Great script. I'm sad Ledger is dead, but he honestly will be remembered for this role. He had me at the magic trick, and I grinned the rest of the film. Amazing. Edit Rating
7. Braveheart
Review: While not exactly historically accurate, it sets the standard for historical epics, and many have copied it's format. I still tear up when I see this. Edit Rating
8. The Usual Suspects
Review: The ultimate "shock ending" before it was fashionable. I think everyone in this cast acted over their head, and elevated this material. I don't see BryanSinger making a better film than this, which is a little sad, I guess. Edit Rating
9. Die Hard
Review: Without a second thought, this is the best action film ever made. This was the first time we saw an "everyman hero," which has been copied about 4 million times since then. Edit Rating
10. Batman Begins
Review: The best superhero film ever? Probably so. I love so much about this film. The one dislike? Katie Holmes. Edit Rating
11. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Review: Perhaps the perfect western. Eastwood is the man. And I love Wallach and Van Cleef as well. Leone's masterpiece, in my opinion. Edit Rating
12. Jaws
Review: Probably Spielberg's best film. Whether it was due to technical restrictions or artistic license, the fact that we don't see the shark a lot is great. Not seeing something is more frightening than having it thrown in our faces. The imagination can come up with some scary stuff. The first blockbuster, I would say. Remember how people stopped going to beaches? I doubt any film today could have the same cultural impact. Edit Rating
13. Gladiator
Review: The film that made Crowe a star. Scott is on top of his game here. This is thrilling and touching at the same time. Edit Rating
14. Ghostbusters
Review: "It's Miller Time!" If this is on, I HAVE to watch it. Great concept and better execution. Edit Rating
15. The Shawshank Redemption
Review: Tim Robbins best work. I thought Morgan Freeman deserved an Oscar for this role, but 94 was a really great year for film. This is still as amazing as I remembered it, though. Edit Rating
16. The 40-Year-Old Virgin
Review: Absolutely hilarious. I love how it's funny, but also respectful. This is my favorite comedy since Old School, for sure. Edit Rating
17. 300
Review: I love Frank Miller, so to see this action orgasm on screen was a treat. This will make Gerard Butler a star (finally). Edit Rating
18. Sin City
Review: Again, I think Frank Miller is a semi-genius, so I was thrilled that Robert Rodriguez chose to be so faithful to the source material. The only thing that hurts this film is Jessica Alba, who I think was miscast. The rest of the cast is aces, especially Mickey Rourke. Edit Rating
19. The Prestige
Review: A modern masterpiece. It's a shame that more people didn't see this. It's so clever and well-made. Chris Nolan is turning into one of thebest filmmakers working today. Bale and Jackman are both great. Edit Rating
20. Dumb and Dumber
Review: The perfect comedy. Carrey and Daniels were so spot on, it still hurts when I laugh at this. Shame they never made a true sequel. I still hope it happens one day- soon. Edit Rating
21. Ace Ventura: Pet Detective
Review: Carrey's other perfect comedy. He's so raw and unbridled. The first time I saw this, I had trouble breathing throughout the duration. Still is really funny. Edit Rating
22. The Princess Bride
Review: One of the best family films ever made with lots of comedy and heart. And I'll stand by my words that the sword fight between Wesley and Inigo holds up against the best out there. Edit Rating
23. The Matrix
Review: I remember going into the theatre not knowing what to expect and being totally blown away. I probably haven't had an experience in the theatre like that since (perhaps Fellowship of the Ring). I think the disappointing sequels tainted the quality of the amazing original. However, as a stand alone film, I think it's a modern classic. Edit Rating
24. Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope
Review: Amazing. I know people argue that Empire is better, but I still think this is th best Star Wars film, and one of the best escapism-type films ever made. Edit Rating
25. Unforgiven
Review: If The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly is the perfect western, then UNFORGIVEN is the perfect anti-western. As great as Eastwood and Freeman are in this, I think Hackman steals the show. Edit Rating
26. Old School
Review: One of the funniest comedies in the last few years. My friends and I watched this film more than what is probably considered healthy. Edit Rating
27. Forrest Gump
Review: I don't even know what to say. Sometimes films just "click," and this one did. I feel like I'm visiting a good friend every time I see this. Kudos to Zemekis and Hanks. Again, this was in that great year for film, 1994. Edit Rating
28. Tombstone
Review: I love westerns (they don't really make them much anymore), and this sort of modern spin on the gunfight at the O.K. Corral was great. Val Kilmer's best performance, in my opinion, and Russell is great as well. Very quotable. Edit Rating
29. Blazing Saddles
Review: Mel Brooks' finest hour. "Where all the white women at?" "We Don't need no stinkin badges!" Edit Rating
30. Pan's Labyrinth (El Laberinto del Fauno)
Review: I love how Del Toro mixed fantasy and reality. I hope more directors realize that fantasy films aren't just for children. If you haven't seen this, please check it out. You might surprise yourself. However, it's all in Spanish. So if you're not a fluent speaker, or if you dislike subtitles, you might want to avoid it. I hope you at least give it a try, though. Edit Rating
31. Saving Private Ryan
Review: I'm a huge WWII fan, and the storming of the beaches in Normandy had me riveted. I've seen veterans and older people crying while watching this, and it really makes this film hit home. I'll never forget that without the sacrifice of these guys in the span of a few days, we'd probably all be speaking German. Edit Rating
32. Snatch.
Review: Great caper/comedy. Pitt shows he's not just a pretty boy, and even Vinnie Jones turns in a good performance. No one beats Boris the Blade, though. Edit Rating
33. The Adventures of Baron Munchausen
Review: Great film. I run into people all the time that have never even heard of it. Is it Gilliam's masterpiece? Maybe. The imagination can be a powerful thing. Edit Rating
34. Léon (The Professional)
Review: Sadly, I still meet people who haven't seen this. Jean Reno's finest work, by FAR. And will Gary Oldman ever top this role? Perhaps, he's pretty talented. But you had to love the odd relationship between Leon and Mathilde. Edit Rating
35. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Review: I love the fight choreography as well as the cinematography. This is one of the more beautiful and exciting films (while retaining some poignancy) that I've ever seen. Edit Rating
36. Shrek
Review: The best animated film in modern film. It's perfect for kids and adults, and few films pull that off. Edit Rating
37. Terminator 2: Judgment Day
Review: A perfect mixture of action and effects. Arnold is on top of his game here, and the effects hold up after 15 years. Edit Rating
38. Predator
Review: One of Arnold's best films (and I like Arnold's films). However, the most props go to Stan Winston for creating one of the most original alien designs ever. Some great one liners, and just a fun, thrilling film that made me paranoid as hell when I was younger (I always thought there was an invisible Predator outside waiting to get me). Edit Rating
39. Beowulf (2007)
Review: Amazing, especially in 3D. I like the little story turns that Gaiman did with the script. Making Beowulf flawed helped, in my opinion.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Return to DVD / Blu-ray