Nintendo DS Thread

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Postby Wolfpack on Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:34 pm

Oh, Phantom Hourglass...will October never come?
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby MonkeyM666 on Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:17 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:Well I quickly and happily added Trauma Center to my growing collection, and just picked up Elite Beat Agents today! Now I hope I can finally hold off on buying more games as I'm officially broke... nevertheless, I've already got my sights set for what might possibly become the best DS game of all time: The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass.

Here's the IGN page on the game

Here's a little IGN article about the game that has a couple of embedded videos that'll make DS players drool

Now, on three, we drool in unison! One, two,-

ohhh... it looks so good doesn't it... I can't wait. Make WW look pox though considering that the DS may be doing the same kinda thing but... ahem... better.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:11 am

What the heck is WW? Wario Ware? What are you talking about!!??
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby kid on an escalator on Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:56 am

Pacino86845 wrote:What the heck is WW? Wario Ware? What are you talking about!!??

I'm guessing Wind Waker.
kid on an escalator
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby MonkeyM666 on Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:04 am

Yeah, Wind Waker... sorry Pacino... I was typing in a hurry :oops:
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Logan5 on Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:50 am

Bought a new DS today. A nice and sleek white DS Lite. My old DS was falling apart on me. My bank account aint so happy, but I am.
Got Contact with it, but I'm not sold. Been hyping this game for so long, and finally getting it I'm feeling kinda disappointed. Probably return it on monday and get Anno 1701: Dawn of Discovery instead. Didn't find neither Settlers nor Hotel Dusk in the store, so it'll probably be Anno 1701.
Logan5
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:57 am

I too was a little disappointed by Contact, but it does grow on you as you get into it... I don't see it as anything special for RPG fans, but for casual players it's not a disappointing RPG. It's the only RPG I have for the DS, and will keep me sated until Phantom Hourglass comes out.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Wolfpack on Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:44 pm

Logan5 wrote:Bought a new DS today. A nice and sleek white DS Lite. My old DS was falling apart on me. My bank account aint so happy, but I am.
Got Contact with it, but I'm not sold. Been hyping this game for so long, and finally getting it I'm feeling kinda disappointed. Probably return it on monday and get Anno 1701: Dawn of Discovery instead. Didn't find neither Settlers nor Hotel Dusk in the store, so it'll probably be Anno 1701.

Your game store lets you return games after you've opened/played them?
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby Logan5 on Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:24 pm

Wolfpack wrote:
Logan5 wrote:Bought a new DS today. A nice and sleek white DS Lite. My old DS was falling apart on me. My bank account aint so happy, but I am.

Yep. EBGames for the win. Plus working there has some perks. 8)
Logan5
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Wolfpack on Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:03 pm

Logan5 wrote:
Wolfpack wrote:
Log an5 wrote:Bought a new DS today. A nice and sleek white DS Lite. My old DS was falling apart on me. My bank account aint so happy, but I am.

Hmm. Well, I guess it's hard to copy the little disks. Although there are probably folks on the emulator and ROM scenes working to change that.
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby kid on an escalator on Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:13 pm

Wolfpack wrote:
Logan5 wrote:
Wol fpack wrote:
Log an5 wrote:Bought a new DS today. A nice and sleek white DS Lite. My old DS was falling apart on me. My bank account aint so happy, but I am.

Hmm. Well, I guess it's hard to copy the little disks. Although there are probably folks on the emulator and ROM scenes working to change that.

Considering that a lot of games nowadays are ripped/dumped and put up on the internet days before they are out in stores, EB Games shouldn't care too much about stuff like that. Not that I know anything about pirated games...
kid on an escalator
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Logan5 on Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:26 pm

kid on an escalator wrote:
Wolfpack wrote:
Logan5 wrote:
Wol fpack wrote:

Considering that a lot of games nowadays are ripped/dumped and put up on the internet days before they are out in stores, EB Games shouldn't care too much about stuff like that. Not that I know anything about pirated games...

Of course you don't.
Logan5
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:05 pm

Oi Logan, how's Anno 1701?

And I have a question for any Euro-zoners who don't live in the UK:

What the hell is going on with the language packs on the games? Before it used to be that any game would have at least four language options, but the latest games only have the local language... which sucks if you're not too comfortable with the commonly-spoken local language.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Logan5 on Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:31 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:Oi Logan, how's Anno 1701?

And I have a question for any Euro-zoners who don't live in the UK:

What the hell is going on with the language packs on the games? Before it used to be that any game would have at least four language options, but the latest games only have the local language... which sucks if you're not too comfortable with the commonly-spoken local language.

Anno was good. I think I might have liked it even better if I had given it some more time, but at the moment it was not the kind of game I was looking for. Might pick it up later.
I usually don't like real time strategy games because I don't like being pressured to do things fast, fast and fast.
Logan5
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Logan5 on Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:35 pm

Btw, here in Sweden it's mostly kids games for ps2 and pc that gets translated. All the others only get instruction booklets in swedish. And a lot of them only get so called "quickstarts" in our local language.
Logan5
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:43 pm

But for the latest DS games, are you getting like the "5 in 1" languages, or is it just one?
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Logan5 on Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:56 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:But for the latest DS games, are you getting like the "5 in 1" languages, or is it just one?

I think they change automaticaly according to which language you have set your DS to.
Logan5
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby kid on an escalator on Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:57 pm

One reason they put only one language is to save space. DS cards come in different sizes and the bigger they get the more it will cost the publisher. So in order to not rise the cost, they don't put all languages on one card.
kid on an escalator
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:18 pm

Logan5 wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:But for the latest DS games, are you getting like the "5 in 1" languages, or is it just one?

I think they change automaticaly according to which language you have set your DS to.

Hmmm, maybe this is only happening in Switzerland... what you say *was* true for games released here until just a few months ago.

As for the costs/space argument, that might be the case but I just find it weird that all the releases of the last couple of months suddenly have only one language option (German, French or Italian depending on where you buy the game in Switzerland), whereas previously one always had a few options.

Blast! Normally this wouldn't bug me, but for an RPG *cough*Phantom Hourglass*cough* I would appreciate playing in English... I guess I could settle for French though. :(
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Brit Pop on Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:51 pm

this has just been released for the DS... not sure if its only in the US

Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:53 pm

Hmmm... if IGN's info is complete then it might be a U.S.-only release.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Wolfpack on Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:54 pm

Heroes of Mana, Rune Factory, and Luminous Arc are out now.

IGN says HOM is good, but Gamespot gave it a mediocre reception. Still, I think it's worth checking out. Didn't know about the Vietnam game, though.
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby monorail77 on Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:09 pm

My daughter wants a DS Lite for her 8th birthday. Guess what she'll be getting?

But, now we need games. So, games for the 8 year old girl in you. Any suggestions?

I read an IGN review of Pony Friends that sounds about right. And perhaps that Finding Nemo game.

Also read a review of Electroplankton that sounds really very cool and I know she would dig it. Anyone have this or know of it? Any suggestions as to how I could get a copy in Canada before September 17? Seems to be largely unavailable.

EDIT - the DS is bundled with a Brain Age game, so that's good.
"All we have is language; that's the one tool that enables us to grasp hold of our lives and transcend our fate by understanding it."
-Harlan Ellison

monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:19 pm

There's also Animal Crossing which seems to nicely bridge the world of adults and the kiddies... I haven't tried it but have heard only very positive things about it.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:24 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:There's also Animal Crossing which seems to nicely bridge the world of adults and the kiddies... I haven't tried it but have heard only very positive things about it.

I haven't played animal crossing on DS but I did on gamecube and it's definitely good for kids.

Also, you have that pokemon thing.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby monorail77 on Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:30 pm

Hmmm, Animal Crossing does sound pretty engaging (read about it on IGN). But its another "do what you want" sim like the Pony Friends game I was thinking of. So which to choose?

Sounds like AC is the more involving one, but it might put her off if its too much off the bat, you know what I mean? Then again, maybe Pony Friends is too simple - and maybe too much like Catz, which she has for GBA.

Have to think about it.

Thanks for the suggestions.
"All we have is language; that's the one tool that enables us to grasp hold of our lives and transcend our fate by understanding it."
-Harlan Ellison

monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby LaDracul on Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:19 pm

Finally found the new Nintendo Power, and they have two games I'm interested in. The first is a puzzle version of "Harvest Moon" (Which is good, because the only version of that game I liked was on N64 and has a lot of their characters in it) and the other is a "Mario Party" game where the writer wonders why Mario and friends would be willing to go to King Koopa's castle without any suspicions....

ALSO, any of you who play Pokemon Diamond and Pearl in the US will be interested to know that on Sept. 29th, Toys R US will be giving away a Manaphy to download into your game between 12-3PM.

Isn't it cute? I'm not sure if I'll go over there on lunch this Saturday to try to get it...but I might go and restart my entire game, which I'll have to get new friend codes and notify the ones I can get in contact with...which sadly means I don't have the guy who gave me the Bulbasaur's addy... Oh well.
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:15 am

So IGN posted their review of The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, giving the game a very respectable 9.0/10... which is actually low for a Zelda game!

In short they say there's lots to love, and the controls are innovative enough, but the fact that it's a stylus-only game removes the classic "Zelda feel" and they mention other elements that they claim will dissuade "hardcore" Zelda gamers.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby godzillasushi on Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:21 am

Well Capcom made this one didn't they? Nintendo letting other developers have a shot at their properties is always hit and miss. F-zero GX was amazing because Nintendo couldn't get their hands on it to screw it up. But I don't know if I'd want my Link to be messed with...
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:27 am

godzillasushi wrote:Well Capcom made this one didn't they? Nintendo letting other developers have a shot at their properties is always hit and miss. F-zero GX was amazing because Nintendo couldn't get their hands on it to screw it up. But I don't know if I'd want my Link to be messed with...

Link being messed with could end up pushing it into new territory which is something that is sorely lacking from the zelda franchise. It could end up ruining the game but I'd rather see them try and fail.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby godzillasushi on Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:42 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:
godzillasushi wrote:Well Capcom made this one didn't they? Nintendo letting other developers have a shot at their properties is always hit and miss. F-zero GX was amazing because Nintendo couldn't get their hands on it to screw it up. But I don't know if I'd want my Link to be messed with...

Link being messed with could end up pushing it into new territory which is something that is sorely lacking from the zelda franchise. It could end up ruining the game but I'd rather see them try and fail.

New territory is fine but I think Nintendo can do a better job of making the series fresh then Capcom can. That's why it's hit or miss. Im mainly knocking Capcom. Retro brought Metroid back from extinction. They have done alright with a few titles. But when it comes to Zelda, that's like loaning Mario out for a brand new game. Seems strange to do that. Plus, this is the DS. I think a stylus is a dumb move. Just because it can use the stylus doesn't mean it's required.

And yes, Mario has been done by Camelot and a few others. But brand new straight up non-sports Mario games should be done by Nintendo.

/griping because it's Monday morning and im unhappy
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:49 am

godzillasushi wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

New territory is fine but I think Nintendo can do a better job of making the series fresh then Capcom can. That's why it's hit or miss. Im mainly knocking Capcom. Retro brought Metroid back from extinction. They have done alright with a few titles. But when it comes to Zelda, that's like loaning Mario out for a brand new game. Seems strange to do that. Plus, this is the DS. I think a stylus is a dumb move. Just because it can use the stylus doesn't mean it's required.

And yes, Mario has been done by Camelot and a few others. But brand new straight up non-sports Mario games should be done by Nintendo.

/griping because it's Monday morning and im unhappy

Im mainly complaining about the lack of change in Zelda games ;).

Twilight Princess's middle part bored me to tears.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby godzillasushi on Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:59 am

Yea TP is a highly refined OoT but that aint sayin much haha.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:11 pm

godzillasushi wrote:Yea TP is a highly refined OoT but that aint sayin much haha.

Is there a time when each game hasnt been a refinement of the last?
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby godzillasushi on Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:24 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
godzillasushi wrote:Yea TP is a highly refined OoT but that aint sayin much haha.

Arguably yes. But we don't need to go there if you don't want to. Hehe.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:30 pm

godzillasushi wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

Ill give you Ocarina of Time, but I feel like that was more of adapting to 3D.

The only game was was truly different was The Adventures of Link.

They have all been of the collect mystical item from dungeon genre. I am nto complaining mind you but the story elements havent really changed at all.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby godzillasushi on Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:34 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
godzillasushi wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

They have all been of the collect mystical item from dungeon genre. I am nto complaining mind you but the story elements havent really changed at all.

So what's your favorite then? I mean, I love em all but for whatever reason Link's Awakening DS for the GB Color still means more to me. It was simple and yet the music and everything was pretty cool. I can't explain specifically why I love that one the most.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:46 pm

godzillasushi wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:
godzillasushi wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

So what's your favorite then? I mean, I love em all but for whatever reason Link's Awakening DS for the GB Color still means more to me. It was simple and yet the music and everything was pretty cool. I can't explain specifically why I love that one the most.

Honestly, it's the adventures of link. Maybe it was because it was one of my favorite games during my formative years. I remember playing it day in and day out with my friends at the time.

A link to the past would be my second favorite followed by OoT.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby LaDracul on Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:23 pm

"Viva Pinata" is going to be on the DS. Yeeessss.
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:50 am

Ok... I want to state something a little mad here. I beleive that Animal Crossing and everything to do with Animal Crossing should be banned from any sale to people under the age of 18.

The whole game pushes materialistic thinking onto the youth who play it. All the virtual characters push and push for you to buy things, and that your house is crap and small. You have to pay a morgage, keep up with fashion trends and constantly pay, pay pay... it's not a good thing to be instilling into our childrens minds. I really don't likw it AT ALL!

any thoughts? Anyone played it/them?
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:57 am

MonkeyM666 wrote:Ok... I want to state something a little mad here. I beleive that Animal Crossing and everything to do with Animal Crossing should be banned from any sale to people under the age of 18.

The whole game pushes materialistic thinking onto the youth who play it. All the virtual characters push and push for you to buy things, and that your house is crap and small. You have to pay a morgage, keep up with fashion trends and constantly pay, pay pay... it's not a good thing to be instilling into our childrens minds. I really don't likw it AT ALL!

Massawyrm?
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:58 am

Ba??
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:22 am

Heheheh, what you wrote reminded me of Massawyrm's infamous Happy Feet review. :)
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:03 pm

ahhh... now I get it. :lol:

Anyway, I still stand by it. Animal Crossing is an evil game... more evil then Manhunt 2 because it's clothed in cuteness.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Wolfpack on Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:39 pm

Animal Crossing is a subversive Socialist plot. Don't be fooled!
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby LaDracul on Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:26 am

I tried to sell mine, but it was ripped off. Now that's someone that clearly didn't understand the game. I just got bored as hell by it. I'd much rather play "Metropolismania" any day.
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:31 am

T-minus two weeks 'til Phantom Hourglass!!!!!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Fawst on Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:35 am

RE: Zelda in the hands of others...

Capcom made Minnish Cap for the GBA, and I have to say... it's damn good. They made what is, in my opinion, the best Zelda since Link to the Past. But that's because I am a whore for the SNES and think OOT/WW are highly overrated. In fact, I enjoyed WW FAR more than OOT, but ... eh, I dunno, it's like they missed the mark somehow. Anyways, Capcom handling Zelda works for me, so if this is another overhead old-school Zelda game, I'll have to pick it up.

Which means I'll have to pick up a DS. I may have my fiancee on the hook for it, as she thought Brain Age 2 was interesting when we saw the demo at Circuit City.

So, DS owners... how are the Castlevania games? Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin. Anyone want to clue me in to where they place them in rank against other 'vanias? I own or have played every single one outside of the DS games (yes, even including the original PC-E version of Drac-X, and Chronicles on the Playstation), so don't hold back with how you think they rank.

For the record, CIV on the SNES is #1, SotN for PS is #2, and Simon's Quest/Drac-X are tied for #3 for me.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby godzillasushi on Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:40 pm

Hey, it's alright to be wrong once in a while Fawst. WW was actually a very great game. It's much more relaxing to play then the other ones. But regardless, you are 24 kinds of wrong on this one dude. You just called two of the best games of all time overated :lol: .

I think Metal Gear Solid is overated

I could never get into the DS stuff. I played the Mario one and enjoyed it but I gave up on handhelds long ago. I no longer own any of them. I still have my Pokemon games though. Everything changed when I got my Cube and Xbox. After that, I switched gears and played different games.

Never enjoyed Castlevania. Pretty difficult for no real good reason.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fawst on Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:56 pm

Oh, I LOVE Wind Waker. I just said it was overrated, and OoT is HIGHLY overrated. Is it one of the best games ever? Sure. Does it hold up over time? No fuckin way. I loved it when it came out, and the Forrest Temple music is still one of the best pieces of game music ever, but overall... blah. And how DARE you say that about Metal Gear?! You're banned. B4NN3D!!!

Castlevania rules, too. How dare you? :D

That's it. I'm going there.

HALO.
IS.
OVER.
RATED.
PERIOD.

Seriously, it's a fun game, the multiplayer is enjoyable in an arcade kinda way... but it's no Counter Strike :)
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to Games