Comic Book News & Previews

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:08 am

So this sounds like a pretty cool idea. It seems that IMAGE COMICS is going to take a bunch of Golden Age comic book characters that have fallen into public domain and publish the next issue in their series.

It sounds a bit weird...so I'll let the man behind it all explain it better:

Well, I haven't brought it up here yet, but I guess this is as good a time as any. Starting this December, Image Comics will publish a comic book anthology featuring characters that readers haven't seen in over half a century. "The Next Issue Project" is a new book that picks up where old comics left off.

The idea is to line up the top talent of today and have them continue the adventures of Golden Age characters that have fallen into the public domain. We'll literally publish the next issue of a forgotten or neglected Golden Age book, with modern interpretations of the great Golden Age characters found therein. Sometimes that means super heroes - other times it's a neglected jungle queen, robot, space opera, horror anthology, western or funny animal.

In any case, the first book we're doing is "Fantastic Comics #24." It stars Samson along with Space Smith (a Buck Rogers-ish kind of thing) and Stardust, which is also kind of a space character. The book also has the Golden Knight, which is pretty straight up knights in shining armor kind of stuff, then a couple pages of Professor Fiend, which is supposed to be funny but falls pretty flat. We'll see if we can inject some actual humor into that strip. In any case - it looks to be a blast.

Source
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:24 am

Great article, thanks for the link Lecko.

That's some list of talent willing to get involved.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:52 am

doglips wrote:Great article, thanks for the link Lecko.

Yeah it sounds like they have lined up some great folks...and the cover images for the project look great. I can't wait to see how it works out.

Has anyone here read Paul Chadwick's CONCRETE? I was thinking of checking it out, but I would like to hear other's thoughts before I start spending cash.

Oh and does anyone else miss DC's SOLO? I loved that series. I want it back.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:56 am

Leckomaniac wrote:

Yeah it sounds like they have lined up some great folks...and the cover images for the project look great. I can't wait to see how it works out.

Has anyone here read Paul Chadwick's CONCRETE? I was thinking of checking it out, but I would like to hear other's thoughts before I start spending cash.

Concrete is something I have picked up many times, flicked through, thought it looked great and put back on the shelf - I shall have to give it a go.

Read either of the books I need you to read????
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:01 am

doglips wrote:[Concrete is something I have picked up many times, flicked through, thought it looked great and put back on the shelf - I shall have to give it a go.

Read either of the books I need you to read????

Sadly no. I have been absorbing Alan Moore's SWAMP THING run. It fascinates me. It may very well be some of my favorite stuff Alan Moore has done. Just stunning. However, CAN'T GET NO and 12 REASONS WHY I LOVE HER are next in line once vol. 2 of SWAMP THING is properly digested.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:04 am

Excellent, I shall re-read those two and Moore's Swamp Thing so we can discuss.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby unikrunk on Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:53 am

Leckomaniac wrote:

Yes - my take is that it is well written, oft times too cerebral book, which is certainly worth checking out a TPB or a few issues to get your own opinion cooking.

Not a superhero type book, if that is what you are looking for.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:54 pm

Another awesome list from The Onion's AVClub. This one is about famous deaths in comic strips. The Garfield one is beyond bizarre.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:09 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:Another awesome list from The Onion's AVClub. This one is about famous deaths in comic strips. The Garfield one is beyond bizarre.

Heh, the Garfield one is really bizarre. I've never seen the strips in question. I remember Bill the Cat dying (repeatedly) in Bloom County, and I remember the panel with the dead bird in Calvin and Hobbes, which was actually kinda shocking given the medium.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby buster00 on Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:13 pm

Wait, so those Garfield strips were real? As in, actually ran in the papers with Jim Davis's name on 'em?

When Fried Gold posted 'em back here, I assumed they were parodies.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:19 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:Has anyone here read Paul Chadwick's CONCRETE? I was thinking of checking it out, but I would like to hear other's thoughts before I start spending cash.

Among the best comics of the last 25 years. The later miniseries are more sophisticated, but they all grow from the same brilliant idea -- what if you were the Thing (more or less) but just an average man without the resources of the Fantastic Four? Chadwick explores the isolation of such a condition and the ways in which a man can live with that isolation. Also, adventures! A few.

Swamp Thing isn't Moore's best work, but it has a warmth that I can't remember seeing anywhere else. Halo Jones and Skizz have moments that touched me, but Swamp Thing obviously was a work of the heart. Also, Moore's first issue was the biggest shock comics had seen in decades.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:35 pm

buster00 wrote:Wait, so those Garfield strips were real? As in, actually ran in the papers with Jim Davis's name on 'em?

When Fried Gold posted 'em back here, I assumed they were parodies.

Oh hell, now that I see the entire strip I do remember it, I think. The picture of the house all boarded up rings a bell anyway.

Yes, apparently that strip is real.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby The Garbage Man on Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:46 pm

The Garfield strips were a Halloween special. Apparently Jim Davis said he wanted to do a "scary story" that was different from the usual recycled "joke" strips he churns out at an inhuman rate.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby buster00 on Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:23 pm

Y'know how the ghost of Grampa is always popping up in Family Circus?

Wouldn't it be cool if he had to do battle with Ghost Rider?

Cuz, like, Ghost Rider is trying to send Grampa's errant soul back to hell?

That would be cool.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:57 pm

buster00 wrote:Y'know how the ghost of Grampa is always popping up in Family Circus?

Um.... no.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby buster00 on Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:54 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:
buster00 wrote:Y'know how the ghost of Grampa is always popping up in Family Circus?

Um.... no.

Well, he does. And it's rather offputting.

And while he's at it, Ghost Rider needs to round up that Not Me dude. He gives me the creeps too.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:06 pm

The End of an Era?.

Amazing Spider-Man #545 cover preview.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:37 pm

This storyline has me wtfing my brains out.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Adam Balm on Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:05 pm

But why would Voltron split up their marriage?

Wait, nevermind. I'm confused.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:23 pm

ROM!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby unikrunk on Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:14 am

Right here Burl - who needs a lesson in decency and manners? That Pete Parker? The Crimson Slut? Aunt May?
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:23 am

I assume this is following from the "One More Day" story?
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:36 am

Sad news to report:

Mike Wieringo has passed away.

Wieringo worked with Mark Waid on The Flash and was co-creator of the character Impulse, who would later become The Flash. He worked with Peter David on Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man. Also, he drew the AMAZING Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four mini written by Jeff Parker.

He was 44 years old at the time of his death.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:03 pm

:'-(
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Comic Book News & Previews

Postby bastard_robo on Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:38 pm

Freddy vs Jason 2 (the one with ash!) that we'll never see as a movie is coming to the funny books!

from Fangoria.com

August 20: FREDDY VS. JASON VS. ASH promo comics art!

Comics that continue the adventures of movie heroes and villains are about as common as those that simply adapt the screen material to the printed page. But this November, horror fans will be getting a comic that will give them their only chance to see a movie that almost made it into theaters but was never filmed: FREDDY VS. JASON VS. ASH, for which Fango got ahold of the advance promo art seen above.

The six-issue miniseries’ origins go back to the success of the first clash between the fiendish molester of dreams from the NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET films and the unstoppable walking slaughterhouse of the FRIDAY THE 13TH series. Jeff Katz, then an executive at New Line, home of the two franchises, worked up a 20-page treatment that picks up the story five years later, just as the recovering town of Crystal Lake is getting ready to change its name to Forest Green and reposition itself as a nicer, less violent community. Freddy is still trapped within Jason’s subconscious, but he hasn’t been idle. The Necronomicon has been resting in the Voorhees home’s basement since JASON GOES TO HELL, and Freddy has discovered how he can use it not just to escape, but to gain powers unlike anything he’s had before. Using Jason as his tool, it seems as though nothing can stop him—except for the local S-Mart’s new Home Wares manager, Ash. Learning that the Necronomicon, the bane of his existence, is in town, Ash is determined to destroy it…and any boogeyman or hockey mask-wearing hulk who may be in the vicinity.

New Line was high on the project, and deals came close to completion, but by 2004, Sam Raimi pulled out, not wanting to see Ash handled by another director. Although the film project was dead, Katz found new hope when he saw A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET and FRIDAY THE 13TH becoming comic-book projects at Wildstorm, and Dynamite producing comics detailing Ash’s exploits beyond ARMY OF DARKNESS. While he urged New Line’s licensing division to look into resurrecting FREDDY VS. JASON VS. ASH, Katz became involved in other things, including co-writing DC Comics’ BOOSTER GOLD. But by the time things had been worked out between New Line, MGM, Wildstorm and Dynamite, Katz found that he couldn’t write it, thanks to his leaving his day job at New Line for one at Fox.

Instead, James Kuhoric, who penned the ARMY OF DARKNESS comics, will be scripting FREDDY VS. JASON VS. ASH, with Jason Craig handling the art chores. Although Kuhoric has been chronicling Ash’s exploits for some time, this miniseries won’t tie into them, as it will hew close to Katz’s treatment. If readers have been following the three antagonists’ film careers, they’ll be right where the audience would have been if this story had opened up in theaters rather than on comic pages. Wildstorm will release the first two issues of FREDDY VS. JASON VS. ASH in November, with the rest following monthly. For more on the comic, check out Fango #268, on sale in October. —Daniel Dickholtz

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby doglips on Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:20 pm

doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby DennisMM on Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:01 pm

Even with delays it's coming a lot faster than Lost Girls. :)
DennisMM

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:13 pm

Too bad that cover sucks.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Comic Book News & Previews

Postby darkjedijaina on Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:36 pm

bastard_robo wrote:Freddy vs Jason 2 (the one with ash!) that we'll never see as a movie is coming to the funny books!

from Fangoria.com

August 20: FREDDY VS. JASON VS. ASH promo comics art!

Comics that continue the adventures of movie heroes and villains are about as common as those that simply adapt the screen material to the printed page. But this November, horror fans will be getting a comic that will give them their only chance to see a movie that almost made it into theaters but was never filmed: FREDDY VS. JASON VS. ASH, for which Fango got ahold of the advance promo art seen above.

The six-issue miniseries’ origins go back to the success of the first clash between the fiendish molester of dreams from the NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET films and the unstoppable walking slaughterhouse of the FRIDAY THE 13TH series. Jeff Katz, then an executive at New Line, home of the two franchises, worked up a 20-page treatment that picks up the story five years later, just as the recovering town of Crystal Lake is getting ready to change its name to Forest Green and reposition itself as a nicer, less violent community. Freddy is still trapped within Jason’s subconscious, but he hasn’t been idle. The Necronomicon has been resting in the Voorhees home’s basement since JASON GOES TO HELL, and Freddy has discovered how he can use it not just to escape, but to gain powers unlike anything he’s had before. Using Jason as his tool, it seems as though nothing can stop him—except for the local S-Mart’s new Home Wares manager, Ash. Learning that the Necronomicon, the bane of his existence, is in town, Ash is determined to destroy it…and any boogeyman or hockey mask-wearing hulk who may be in the vicinity.

New Line was high on the project, and deals came close to completion, but by 2004, Sam Raimi pulled out, not wanting to see Ash handled by another director. Although the film project was dead, Katz found new hope when he saw A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET and FRIDAY THE 13TH becoming comic-book projects at Wildstorm, and Dynamite producing comics detailing Ash’s exploits beyond ARMY OF DARKNESS. While he urged New Line’s licensing division to look into resurrecting FREDDY VS. JASON VS. ASH, Katz became involved in other things, including co-writing DC Comics’ BOOSTER GOLD. But by the time things had been worked out between New Line, MGM, Wildstorm and Dynamite, Katz found that he couldn’t write it, thanks to his leaving his day job at New Line for one at Fox.

Instead, James Kuhoric, who penned the ARMY OF DARKNESS comics, will be scripting FREDDY VS. JASON VS. ASH, with Jason Craig handling the art chores. Although Kuhoric has been chronicling Ash’s exploits for some time, this miniseries won’t tie into them, as it will hew close to Katz’s treatment. If readers have been following the three antagonists’ film careers, they’ll be right where the audience would have been if this story had opened up in theaters rather than on comic pages. Wildstorm will release the first two issues of FREDDY VS. JASON VS. ASH in November, with the rest following monthly. For more on the comic, check out Fango #268, on sale in October. —Daniel Dickholtz

yeah i just read this somewhere else. pretty nifty. but, what's with that cover? it's just pics meshed together from their previous comics... boo.
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:36 pm

Terry Moore taking over Spidey Loves MJ? Pretty cool.

Adrian Alphona Taking Over the ART?!?!?!? FREAKIN AWESOME!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby LaDracul on Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:26 pm

This is out of left field...

Disney Adventures Comic Zone has started running a comic adaptation of "The Black Hole" in the current issue. HOWEVER, since Disney announced they are no longer going to publish Disney Adventures, it's unsure if Comic Zone will still be published.

But check it out...probably the most random thing I've seen in a while.
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:23 pm

This sounds pretty cool...a "fun horror" book from IMAGE in the vein of Buffy and X-Files. Count me interested.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:52 am

Leckomaniac wrote:This sounds pretty cool...a "fun horror" book from IMAGE in the vein of Buffy and X-Files. Count me interested.

Yeah, I saw that, it does look good. Great premise, it just needs a kick ass script to help it along ( let's hope it has one.... )
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:00 am

I agree about Proof, but I am a little freaked that Bigfoot looks so much like Samuel Jackson.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:30 pm

Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:26 pm

Is he the same bad ass who penned Secret Wars II?
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DennisMM on Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:28 pm

He's done some great work, but he also was responsible for an entire company's crappy work for nearly ten years. Which version of the Legion will Shooter write? His is long, long gone, though I guess the time-travel Legion of "Lightning Ring" bears a lot of resemblance.
DennisMM

Postby unikrunk on Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:32 pm

Wow, the new Family Circus is pretty hard hitting stuff...

unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:48 pm

Well, that didn't take too long...

Click on all the shiny for more!!
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:58 pm

I don't like him having a gun...I don't care who is behind the mask.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby doglips on Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:01 pm

[sirbiatchreturns] Who care's about Captain America? [/sirbiatchreturns]
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:17 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:I don't like him having a gun...I don't care who is behind the mask.

Yeah, I'm with you.

What's that Clooney line from Three Kings? "We go in fast and hit 'em with the blinding power of American sunshine." That's Captain America to me. The guy with the gun is the Punisher.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby so sorry on Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:31 pm

Looks like he's wearing Dockers® relaxed fit pants.

and the flag pattern on his hoodie is shaped like a heart.

and i'm sure he's too silver somewhere on his body.

just saying...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:35 pm

I like it, and besides regardless of early impressions, Brubaker is going to make it work.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DennisMM on Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:43 pm

Could be interesting, even though I don't like the shiny.

Re: weapons - could Frank have got himself a whole suit this time?
DennisMM

Postby minstrel on Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:41 pm

Why's he wearing the Dallas Cowboys logo on his chest? Is that really Tony Romo?
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby buster00 on Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:26 am

MasterWhedon wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:I don't like him having a gun...I don't care who is behind the mask.

Yeah, I'm with you.

Guys, it's OK.

It's a cap gun.

(pause for groaning and eye rolling)

Anyway, this smells a bit like the Batman Knightfall storyline. I'm still betting on Steve Rogers to reappear and reclaim his once-noble profession from this violent, gun-brandishing upstart.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:26 am

Death of Superman... Steve Rogers will return from the depths of the ocean!!!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:04 pm

They should snatch Steve Rogers right out of the time continuum moments before he plunged into the icey seas. Retcon EVERYTHING about the character and do a mini series on what the Marvel U would be like if Cap wasn't discovered in the ice, but instead simply disappeared at the end of WW2.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:30 pm

CBRs Rich Johnston reported a rumor he heard in his colum Lying Gutters. The rumor is, apparently, that Bruce Wayne is going to be killed sometime next year and that one of the Robins (Jason Todd, Tim Drake, Dick Grayson) will take over as Batman.

Wha????????

I mean seriously....WHA?!?!?!?!?!

Methinks DC was jealous of Marvel because of the Cap America death coverage.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Books