Random Movie News

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:40 pm

Hehehe... the Dino, he remembers back inna the day that a the Disney, they were alla nervous a 'cos a the Black Hole, she was a their most expensive film a to date, no? $42 million or a something...
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby DennisMM on Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:58 pm

Fievel wrote:
DennisMM wrote:Why make Spies Like Us the first time?

Because the first time was supposed to be with John Belushi and Dan Ackroyd. They talk to Gene Shalit about it in an old interview before Belushi died.

Belushi would still be making great films if he were alive, unlike Ackrod (not a typo).

I would argue that I don't think the movie would have been funny with Belushi. The story was crap. Belushi and Aykroyd didn't guarantee good stuff. I thought Neighbors was a disaster. I'll leave it there.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby LaDracul on Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:03 pm

Okay, this is definitely what Disney was going to do with "White Star"-

Alright. I know that there are those of you out there who are already upset that Disney would even think of remaking "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs." Much less turning this animated masterpiece into a martial arts movie. But you have to understand that this isn't the first time that the Mouse has actually thought about remaking "Snow White."

How many of you remember back to 1979, as Walt Disney Productions was getting ready to release "The Black Hole" ? More importantly, when then-studio head Ron Miller -- as he was meeting with members of the press -- began talking up the studio's next sci-fi-based project. Which (depending on when you talked with Ron) was either known as "Snow Star," "White Star" or "Star White."

Anywho ... The film's storyline dealt with this Princess Leia-like royal who was fleeing from an evil sorceress who's out to destroy the princess's home world. When the Leia-lookalike's spaceship suddenly developed engine problems in deep space, the princess sought shelter in this supposedly abandoned space station.

Only (surprise, surprise) this space station isn't actually abandoned. When the original colonists left eons ago, they left behind seven little droids to maintain the facility. And it's these robots who now become the princess's protectors and keep her safe from that evil space sorceress.

So you tell me, folks: What sounds worse? "Snow and the Seven" with its Shaolin monks or "Snow Star" / "White Star" / "Star White" / Whatever. Which was basically "Snow White and the Seven Droids."

I dunno, it just would've been one in a sea of movies that tried to cash in on "Star Wars".
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:39 pm

The Todd wrote:
LaDracul wrote:I think that's old news. Besides, it does sound better than the Sci-Fi version they wanted to make in the late '70s...but they then made "The Black Hole".

Not a good decision in hindsight.

You speak heresy! The Black Hole kicks ass!

:roll:
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DennisMM on Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:46 pm

The Todd wrote:
LaDracul wrote:I think that's old news. Besides, it does sound better than the Sci-Fi version they wanted to make in the late '70s...but they then made "The Black Hole".

No, The Black Hole sucks.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby The Vicar on Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:09 pm

DennisMM wrote:
The Todd wrote:

No, The Black Hole sucks.

In the right hands, The Black Hole could have amounted to something.
As it was, it was just a turgid lump of poo.
Directed without style or imagination.
Limp.
It's ripe for a do over......
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Peven on Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:59 pm

i just saw a TV promo for a movie called, "The Last Legion", supposedly about the as yet untold story of the birth of Excalibur. anyone know anything of this production? tonight is the first i have seen anything of it. looks so so.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby The Todd on Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:08 pm

Peven wrote:i just saw a TV promo for a movie called, "The Last Legion", supposedly about the as yet untold story of the birth of Excalibur. anyone know anything of this production? tonight is the first i have seen anything of it. looks so so.

from IMDB:

Production Company: Dino De Laurentiis Company
The Todd
AIRWOLF

Postby Peven on Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:27 pm

The Todd wrote:
Peven wrote:i just saw a TV promo for a movie called, "The Last Legion", supposedly about the as yet untold story of the birth of Excalibur. anyone know anything of this production? tonight is the first i have seen anything of it. looks so so.

from IMDB:

did you check out the trailer, Todd? what did you think?

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby The Todd on Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:32 pm

Peven wrote:
The Todd wrote:

from IMDB:

did you check out the trailer, Todd? what did you think?

Actually, when I saw that it was the period movie with Colin Firth, Ben Kingsley, and Aishwarya Rai I remembered that I had seen the trailer before on either Apple's site or movie-list.com. Either way, I do remember being interested in the film. I love Rai from the few Bollywood movies that I've seen her in and Colin Firth is a solid actor. Plus Kingsley has really turned it on lately in most of his movies.

It's on my list of films to see in the theater, for now..... I'll keep my eye out for anything else on it
The Todd
AIRWOLF

Postby Fievel on Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:40 pm

thebostonlocksmith wrote:Just got this little bit from the BBC movies website (highnoon)... sounds errr, interesting...

Shaolin Snow White
From arthouse to grindhouse: Disney has revealed plans for a live action version of Snow White, with a heavy emphasis on, er, kung fu. Called Snow And The Seven, the film will follow a British girl raised in 19th century Hong Kong, who learns her chopsockey skills from seven Shaolin monks. Presumably with names like Smashy, Punchy, Kicky and Ouchy. Francis Lawrence (Constantine) is directing, according to Variety.

Could this be the first in a franchise of kung fu cartoon remakes? Why not? We'd like to see The Little Mermaid whacking off heads with a roundhouse tail flip.

Woo-ping Yuen was said to be directing this a year or so ago. It's still listed on his IMDB page. Now it's going to be directed by Francis Lawrence (Constantine, I Am Legend).
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:25 pm

The Todd wrote:

from IMDB:

Holy crap, that looks BLACK HOLE awful.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby The Todd on Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:27 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:
The Todd wrote:

from IMDB:

Holy crap, that looks BLACK HOLE awful.

Jerk.
The Todd
AIRWOLF

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:33 pm

Since you are relatively new here, I will give you a pass on that one. But "jerk" doesn't even begin to encompass what lurks within me.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby King Psyz on Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:45 pm

so true
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Peven on Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:09 am

burlivesleftnut wrote: But "jerk" doesn't even begin to encompass what lurks within me.

or who..

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby LaDracul on Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:59 pm

On the heels of the Monopoly announcement, I have good news and bad news.

Bad news first-Even though I have the feeling this will be one of the worst films of the year (Though it's really accurate), Avi Arad has given the go-ahead to another "Bratz" movie for release next year. Pervert.

The Good News-A Barbie movie is being planned. I really hope it's not the one Demi Moore wanted to make where it's a girl having adventures with Barbie, but something more along the lines of all the CG features that have been released.
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:57 am

Coogan On The Piste
Alan Partridge is strapping on his skis for a biography of Eddie "The Eagle" Edwards. Yes, in a casting coup so perfect that it makes your head spin, Steve Coogan will play the hapless British ski jumper, who caused a sensation at the 1988 Winter Olympics by, er, completely failing to win anything.

Declan Lowney is directing the movie, which will start shooting next year after a lengthy stay in development hell. "His story is a very British story, and he is a very British kind of hero", Coogan told Variety. "When I read the story, I found it funny but, more surprisingly, quite moving. Quirky, dysfunctional, slightly nerdy, but his balls must be made of titanium". Well, that would certainly have been helpful. He did tend to land on them.
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:14 am

havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:24 pm

Oliver Stone to direct harrowing and bloody Vietnam movie once more - starring Bruce Willis

Willis will play Army Gen. William R. Peers, who supervised the investigation into the massacre by U.S. soldiers of as many as 500 My Lai villagers, most of them unarmed women, children and elderly.

Tatum will play Hugh Thompson, a helicopter pilot who, upon realizing what was happening below, put a stop to the killing by placing his craft between gunmen and the few villagers who were left, and telling his two shipmates to fire on the soldiers if they shot any more people. They airlifted the survivors and reported the carnage to superiors.

Extra odd line of info here

Maybe here too.

I'm well up for this. Stone's Nam movies have always had a unique special interest for me, and Bruce seems to have reached a level where he's actually doing damn fine work for himself and is getting the appropriate dramatic response from his audience in his last few years. So this I'm bang up for. Sounds horrendous subject matter though. Hope he'll do justice to it.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby godzillasushi on Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:27 pm

Does seem a bit harsh for a movie to be based around. For some reason hearing the story reminds me of Rules of Engagement. One of those hardly known stories from that war. I've never heard of that event before.
Last edited by godzillasushi on Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:35 pm

'Nam is so passe.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby The Vicar on Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:14 am

so sorry wrote:'Nam is so passe.

For some....

"...almost 30 years after coming home, almost 800,000 American men are still fighting the Viet Nam war....."
The Vicar

Postby The Vicar on Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:15 am

godzillasushi wrote:Does seem a bit harsh for a movie to be based around. For some reason hearing the story reminds me of Rules of Engagement. One of those hardly known stories from that war. I've never heard of that event before.

No worse than Schindlers List.......same shit, different war.
The Vicar

Postby LaDracul on Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:33 am

Futuristic Las Vegas with an ostrich-riding hero...

Does Uwe Boll know about this?
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:27 pm

godzillasushi wrote:Does seem a bit harsh for a movie to be based around. For some reason hearing the story reminds me of Rules of Engagement. One of those hardly known stories from that war. I've never heard of that event before.

You've never heard of My Lai 4? Seriously?
DennisMM

Postby godzillasushi on Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:51 pm

DennisMM wrote:

You've never heard of My Lai 4? Seriously?

Well....no, I haven't.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby LaDracul on Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:44 pm

Read the new "Entertainment Weekly", and Rainn Wilson (aka Dwight K. Schrute) is going to be in a film called "Renaissance Men" about two community theater geeks that join the ren faire.

I'm looking forward to it already. :D
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby tapehead on Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:49 am

Larry Wachoski is now officially 'Lana'

I guess that the former brotherly duo are now 'The Wachowski Siblings'?
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Peven on Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:45 am

i will be looking for this to come out on dvd

http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/howtocookyourlife/trailer/

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby monorail77 on Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:41 pm

Peven wrote:i will be looking for this to come out on dvd

Erm I dunno. VERY cutesy trailer. I'd give it a look on TV...maybe.

Is it just me or has Ratatouille ben having weird, uncatalogued cultural influences popping up lately? I get a "Ratatouille" vibe from this trailer, in an oblique way. Maybe its the music choices coupled with the respect for food prep. Coincidence?
"All we have is language; that's the one tool that enables us to grasp hold of our lives and transcend our fate by understanding it."
-Harlan Ellison

monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby Peven on Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:20 am

monorail77 wrote:
Peven wrote:i will be looking for this to come out on dvd

Is it just me or has Ratatouille ben having weird, uncatalogued cultural influences popping up lately? I get a "Ratatouille" vibe from this trailer, in an oblique way. Maybe its the music choices coupled with the respect for food prep. Coincidence?

not coincidence, but then, i also don't think "Ratatouille" is responsible for the renewal of interest in respecting food prep, rather it is part of the "movement", if you will. not only that, i think the whole food prep thing is part of a greater phenomena of people looking for more in life than just the 9 to 5 rat race and scrambling to buy "stuff". slowing down to cook, really cook, is part of that, imo.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby minstrel on Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:24 am

Peven wrote:not coincidence, but then, i also don't think "Ratatouille" is responsible for the renewal of interest in respecting food prep, rather it is part of the "movement", if you will. not only that, i think the whole food prep thing is part of a greater phenomena of people looking for more in life than just the 9 to 5 rat race and scrambling to buy "stuff". slowing down to cook, really cook, is part of that, imo.

I agree. The rise in popularity of the Food Network has had a lot to do with this, I think.

And the food shows on the Travel Channel, like Anthony Bourdain's show and Andrew Zimmern's show, and Top Chef on Bravo ...

Ratatouille fits right into all this.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby monorail77 on Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:25 pm

Peven wrote:
monorail77 wrote:
Pe ven wrote:i will be looking for this to come out on dvd

not coincidence, but then, i also don't think "Ratatouille" is responsible for the renewal of interest in respecting food prep, rather it is part of the "movement", if you will. not only that, i think the whole food prep thing is part of a greater phenomena of people looking for more in life than just the 9 to 5 rat race and scrambling to buy "stuff". slowing down to cook, really cook, is part of that, imo.

I like this and want to believe it. So I will.
"All we have is language; that's the one tool that enables us to grasp hold of our lives and transcend our fate by understanding it."
-Harlan Ellison

monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:34 pm

Not sure whether this is has been posted but it appears Brad Pitt is to star in Darren Aronfsky's new movie The Fighter along side Mark Wahlberg - at least according to several movie websites I've come across. In which case, it seems they've buried the hatchet after The Fountain...though thankfully not in each other's head.
Could be an interesting movie, though I'm still not convinced of the talent of Wahlberg as an actor, to be honest.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby tapehead on Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:01 pm

Interesting article regarding recent Village Voice culling of it's film crit staff - J Hoberman fans take note - he's still there. Why do you care? Because you love to read about independent cinema in the US, and this may represent a loss in terms of newspaper coverage - they ditched their music critic recently too.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby so sorry on Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:22 pm

sooo, um, andbody have an Random Movie News today?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:23 pm

so sorry wrote:sooo, um, andbody have an Random Movie News today?

Paul W.S. Anderson apparently still has a career. That's kinda random.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby darkjedijaina on Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:27 pm

Bruce Campbell is rumored to be part of a 2008 film called Vacation...
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby Fawst on Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:31 pm

HollywoodBabylon wrote:Not sure whether this is has been posted but it appears Brad Pitt is to star in Darren Aronfsky's new movie The Fighter along side Mark Wahlberg - at least according to several movie websites I've come across. In which case, it seems they've buried the hatchet after The Fountain...though thankfully not in each other's head.
Could be an interesting movie, though I'm still not convinced of the talent of Wahlberg as an actor, to be honest.

Pitt and Aranofsky never were enemies because of The Fountain. Amazingly, they are really good friends despite what happened. If I'm not mistaken, Aranofsky actually consulted with Pitt on some ideas for the new take on the story. Amazing that someone can go into such an incredible funk both creatively and physically because of one person, and yet still remain friends. Hey, good for him, he's a better man than I.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:33 pm

Fawst wrote:
HollywoodBabylon wrote:Not sure whether this is has been posted but it appears Brad Pitt is to star in Darren Aronfsky's new movie The Fighter along side Mark Wahlberg - at least according to several movie websites I've come across. In which case, it seems they've buried the hatchet after The Fountain...though thankfully not in each other's head.

Pitt and Aranofsky never were enemies because of The Fountain. Amazingly, they are really good friends despite what happened. If I'm not mistaken, Aranofsky actually consulted with Pitt on some ideas for the new take on the story. Amazing that someone can go into such an incredible funk both creatively and physically because of one person, and yet still remain friends. Hey, good for him, he's a better man than I.

True.

althought, keeping brad pitt as a friend is about one of the best things you can do in hollywood, eh?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby LaDracul on Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:19 pm

Producer of "H@rry Potter" series plans to bring yet another British icon to the big screen-

Paddington Bear

I loved that crazy stop-motion series from the late '70s/early '80s, and was disappointed that it was a fully animated series in the '90s...but it should be good to see my favorite marmalade loving bear get into trouble again. :)

Unfortunately, all I could find of the original was a recent advert for Marmite which keeps the stop-motion style.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LEeF0K0v71I
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:23 pm

LaDracul wrote:Paddington Bear

jeez, what's next to complete my childhood nightmares come to life, Teddy Ruxpin?
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby LaDracul on Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:26 am

Remake of "Terror Train"...so not a remake. It's just taken the concept of a killer on a train and put it someplace different. It's a murderer on a train in Europe where a group of American athletes are getting killed. Fortunately, it's going to be called "Train".

Dammit, I wanted to see Criss Angel in the David Copperfield role...

EDIT-Also, in WTF news, Will Kemp (Velkan Valerious) in the sequel to "Step Up"?! Oh God, this is worse than "Mindhunters"... Why oh why can't they cast him for that "Manhunt" movie, or just release "William and Miguel" in the US? Or possibly have him join the broadway...erm....'mounting' of "Equus"?

http://www.willkemp.org/news

Fuck, why make crap movies like "Step Up" and then sequels? I could go on about how Channing Tatum is the girliest name EVER. And he's supposed to be a badass. I giggle about it, actually....
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby Peven on Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:39 pm

hit the wire 30 minutes ago........

LONDON (Hollywood Reporter) - James Purefoy, who recently headlined HBO's "Rome" as Mark Antony, has been cast as puritan swordsman Solomon Kane in a movie of the same name to be made from the stories of "Conan the Barbarian" creator Robert E. Howard.
ADVERTISEMENT

Kane is a 16th century soldier who learns that his brutal and cruel actions have damned him but is determined to redeem himself by living peaceably. But he finds himself dragged out of retirement for a fight against evil.

Shooting on the Davis Films production will start this year. Michael J. Bassett ("Deathwatch") will dir

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fievel on Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:05 pm

Purefoy prefers to act in the past, I assume?
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby LaDracul on Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:53 pm

Okay, after hearing this and the fact that "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe" won't be made, I'm getting really ticked off at Hollywood.

And the idiot portion of America.
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby Peven on Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:57 pm

sounds like griping to me

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby LaDracul on Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:09 pm

Yeah, yeah, I know, but there's too many 'bang-bang, fuck-fuck' movies out there already...
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby Peven on Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:15 pm

well, movies are meant to be enjoyed, don't forget that.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

PreviousNext

Return to Movie News