Roman Polanski's POMPEII

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Roman Polanski's POMPEII

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:29 pm

Sooooo...

Main Page has the story up about a new film that Polanski is supposed to be developing...

But for those lazt non-link clickers...

On the main page, Mori wrote:It's The End Of The World, Roman Polanski Style!!

Well, then.

ROMAN POLANSKI'S POMPEII.

Gotta say, I'm interested. A $130 million period disaster film that's modeled in part on CHINATOWN. I really loved both THE PIANIST and OLIVER TWIST, and I think Polanski's in the middle of a late-career resurgence that is impressive and enormously entertaining. Can't wait to see what kind of cast he puts together for this, and how soon we'll get to see it in theaters.

Bring it on!

And the full story that the main page links to...

Variety wrote:Roman Polanski's next directing effort will be his biggest undertaking yet in terms of scale, subject and budget.

"Pompeii" is a dramatic thriller set against the backdrop of Mt. Vesuvius just before and during its eruption. The budget is projected to be $130 million, the director said.

It is based on the bestseller of the same name by "Fatherland" novelist Robert Harris, who is writing the script. Filming will begin in Italy this summer.

"Pompeii" will be produced by Polanski and Robert Benmussa of RP Productions, along with Alain Sarde. It will draw on private funding sources, as was the case with many of the director's previous projects.

"It will be handled like our last two films," Polanski said, "as an independent European production." No studio or distribution partners as yet have been approached, he said.

Pic's protagonist is a young engineer who has to repair an enormous aqueduct whose destruction threatens the Roman Empire. He finds himself enmeshed in politics and romance. The film takes place over three days and the final act is the volcanic eruption and the destruction of the aqueduct, which stretched 60 miles and served hundreds of thousands of people.

"I got seduced by the writing," Polanski told Daily Variety. "In general terms, when someone tells me to make a movie set in ancient times, I say it's not my cup of tea. But I liked that it was a thriller and I have read all of his books and there is such minute detail. He goes very far into the research."

Plus, the "Chinatown" helmer added, "There is corruption in connection with water."

Polanski, who won an Oscar for "The Pianist," last directed "Oliver Twist." He also played a supporting role in the Brett Ratner-directed "Rush Hour 3" for New Line.

Telling a period story of a volcano's eruption will take Polanski into event movie territory. Though "Rosemary's Baby" and "Chinatown" were certainly landmarks, they were before the term "tentpole" came into use, and Polanski's top-grossing release in the years since has been $32 million for "The Pianist."

"It will be very dependent on visual effects," he noted. "I don't like to brandish effects, but the truth is that there have been a lot. 'Pianist' had about 200 CGI effects and 'Oliver Twist' had at least 400. It's always a challenge to do something a little different, but that's what keeps me going."

Polanski is repped by ICM.

And before any of you get up in arms about the whole Polanski is a pedophile/appreciate his brilliance type debate that seems to happen quite a bit when his name is brought up - I will leave with with a post by the wise old ZombieZoneSolutions in the TB to this story...

I think he sums it up for everybody... like always...

in the TB's, ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:Polanki Nowhere Near As Bad As The Catholic Church

Indeed Polanski is a sicko pervert rapist (in addition to being a brilliant artist), but clearly the Catholic Chuch is way WAAAAAY worse. To whit:

The Catholic Church's widespread child abuse campaign of brainwashing and molestation; an organization which not only perpetuates sexual violence on children, but actively covers it up, moving known childraping priests from parish to parish, seemingly in an effort to destroy as many young lives as possible; through both the psychological abuse of cult indoctrination and protracted violent physical sexual abuse in the name iof some ersatz spacegod. In short: a child raping death cult with literally thousands upon thousands of victims walking wounded around the globe.

So, sure, Polanski is a rapist, but who has perpetrated more crimes? Be honest.

I miss ZZS...

Now that we've got that discussion out of the way... how bout some thoughts on a big budget Polanski disaster epic...

I'm interested to see what he does...

It'd be nice if he had free reign from the studios... see him go a little nuts again...

Oh well, we'll see...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby WinslowLeach on Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:42 pm

I dont consider him a pedophile. That girl was like 13 or 14 and every adult guy in here has seen a girl thats 13 or 14 that was hot. He just crossed the line and had sex with her.

I think Polanski's a genius though. His movies are incredible. I even loved The Ninth Gate.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nordling on Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:44 pm

I want to see POMPEII.

What, you were expecting more?
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby WinslowLeach on Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:46 pm

Bring on The POMPEII!! It sounds freakin crazy man!!
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:46 pm

Mori made a good post regards Polanski in the 'Can we, or should we, separate the Art from the Artist?' thread, after few posters had ripped him to shreds -

Moriarty wrote:
Chilli wrote:Dude, that's still pretty simplistic. Yes, his life went to shit, but he still broke the law and he should've had to pay his time like any of us would if we broke the law.

But he ran. He probably was scared, but the dude has no-one to blame but himself for making the situation worse.

He was incarcerated. He was sentenced. He was prepared to pay his fine and finish his sentence.

And then a judge looking for re-election decided to use Polanski as an example and threw out the agreement that was in place. Polanski left to avoid malicious prosecution.

He has dealt with the matter to the satisfaction of his victim. He has said repeatedly that he would come back to the US if his original plea agreement was in place.

The most damnable lie about Polanski is that he split to avoid the law.

Patently not true.

ZZS features prominently, thread makes for interesting reading, and can be found here

Look forward to the Pompeii movie
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:44 pm

'Can we, or should we, separate the Art from the Artist?'

Jesus, what a fucking thread. I still get 'nam style flashbacks to that thread.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby tapehead on Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:47 pm

It was a BADASS discussion.

I miss Judderman
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:10 pm

i heard he wants to cast ellen page in the lead... seems a bit fishy to me.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:04 pm

The Polanski 'issue' will never be resolved one way or the other so to comment on it would be pretty superfluous I suppose.

As regards the movie, any upcoming film by him is to be welcomed. He's always been a first class director and this looks quite interesting to me.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby Wolfpack on Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:56 pm

No doubt some folks will want to boycott this movie on account of Polanski's past. I see that as irrelevent. Other people are involved in making this movie. No need to boycott them because of one pedophile.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:43 pm

Surely he won't be able to top his own mad apocalyptic vision he set for in such disaster films as Tess, Pirates or FRANTIC.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Ribbons on Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:11 pm

The pre-strike rush claims another victim; looks like Polanski has dropped out of Pompeii due to creative/scheduling conflicts:

Summit International is selling worldwide rights and is searching for a replacement director with producers Robert Benmussa and Alain Sarde.

"I put a lot of work and energy into the development of Pompeii, so it is not without regret that I have to decline my further involvement," Polanski, whose schedule does not allow him to accommodate an uncertain start date beyond 2008, said.

"In order to ensure that a film of this calibre and scale is produced in the manner required, the producers have pushed back the film to a time that will accommodate the production needs," Summit International chief executive officer Patrick Wachsberger said.

"We understand that Roman cannot wait indefinitely for a start date after having worked on this project for more than nine months," Benmussa and Sarde said.

Based on Robert Harris' novel, Pompeii centres on a young engineer caught up in political intrigue as Mount Vesuvius is about to erupt
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:44 pm

Well that sucks.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby monorail77 on Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:13 pm

Too Bad. Big (huge) budget Polanski would have been a site.
"All we have is language; that's the one tool that enables us to grasp hold of our lives and transcend our fate by understanding it."
-Harlan Ellison

monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby LaDracul on Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:51 am

This makes me hope that he will concentrate on "Dance of the Vampires"...
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Re:

Postby Ribbons on Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:38 pm

Ribbons wrote:The pre-strike rush claims another victim; looks like Polanski has dropped out of Pompeii due to creative/scheduling conflicts:

Summit International is selling worldwide rights and is searching for a replacement director with producers Robert Benmussa and Alain Sarde.

And what a replacement they found! Paul W.S. Anderson up in this heezy!

Good thing they got rid of that Chinatown plotline and replaced it with The Adventures of Sexy Young Gladiator
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Return to Movie News