What Graphic Novels do I want For Christmas?

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Postby DennisMM on Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:27 pm

Lost Girls, but I'm not asking my parents.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Postby unikrunk on Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:39 pm

All of the Miracleman books.

<looks at UK zoners...taps fingers>
He can't' love you back...
Image
User avatar
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 4845
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:48 am

Postby Maui on Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:39 pm

The Eternals
Stardust
Watchmen
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7609
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:19 pm

The Eternals, eh? I was pretty disappointed by it and I stopped buying them by the fourth or fifth (or sixth, I can't remember) issue... did that series end finally?

Watchmen is essential, Maui, have you not read it before?

Dennis, have you read Lost Girls before?

And I've heard good things about Iron Fist so I'll try to keep it in mind whilst buying myself Christmas gifts, LOL.
User avatar
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER
 
Posts: 14064
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:20 am

Postby Fievel on Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:24 pm

I'm going to be asking for the Dark Tower Gunslinger Born book for Christmas.

Edit - also will be asking for everything I asked for last Christmas as I didn't get a single book. Jee-ZUSS!!! Just because I'm 32 doesn't mean you can't buy me a friggin' comic book!!!
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 12158
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Postby Maui on Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:50 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:The Eternals, eh? I was pretty disappointed by it and I stopped buying them by the fourth or fifth (or sixth, I can't remember) issue... did that series end finally?

Watchmen is essential, Maui, have you not read it before?



Oh, well I just thought I'd check it out, if you don't recommend it then perhaps I should pursue something else. Any recommendations?

Nope, psyched to read Watchmen!!!
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7609
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:54 pm

Fievel wrote:I'm going to be asking for the Dark Tower Gunslinger Born book for Christmas.


Yes, yes, yes...I really want this too.
Image
User avatar
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked
 
Posts: 17641
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:18 pm
Location: Pasture next to the Red Barn

Postby DennisMM on Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:03 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:Dennis, have you read Lost Girls before?


Founder, I have not read Lost Girls in its entirety. However, I did read the episodes that were serialized in Taboo back in the early '90s. I enjoyed those and would not mind having the set, though the price is a bit much for me right now.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:10 pm

Maui wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:The Eternals, eh? I was pretty disappointed by it and I stopped buying them by the fourth or fifth (or sixth, I can't remember) issue... did that series end finally?

Watchmen is essential, Maui, have you not read it before?



Oh, well I just thought I'd check it out, if you don't recommend it then perhaps I should pursue something else. Any recommendations?


Oh boy, it would all depend on what kind of story you're looking for... something occult? By Gaiman preferably? What were the last couple of graphic novels that you really got a kick out of?

I'm no expert, but if you're looking for Gaiman stuff there's always Sandman, I don't think one can go wrong there... and I really enjoyed 1602, beautiful art in that book on top of Gaiman's sharp pen.
User avatar
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER
 
Posts: 14064
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:20 am

Postby The Vicar on Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:10 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
Fievel wrote:I'm going to be asking for the Dark Tower Gunslinger Born book for Christmas.


Yes, yes, yes...I really want this too.


Take a number, laddies......
.
........................................
Image
User avatar
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone
 
Posts: 16179
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:21 am

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:13 pm

Colin wrote:Absolute DC: New Frontier
'

what he said.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
User avatar
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 9407
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:14 am
Location: Blacktionville

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:14 pm

DennisMM wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:Dennis, have you read Lost Girls before?


Founder, I have not read Lost Girls in its entirety. However, I did read the episodes that were serialized in Taboo back in the early '90s. I enjoyed those and would not mind having the set, though the price is a bit much for me right now.


Yeah it's going for about 60 bucks on Amazon, which is quite hefty, but damn Dennis, Lost Girls is truly a unique set of graphic novels. You do get a lot of bang for your buck, it just happens to be a lot of buck to drop in one shot.
User avatar
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER
 
Posts: 14064
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:20 am

Postby Maui on Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:17 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:
DennisMM wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:Dennis, have you read Lost Girls before?


Founder, I have not read Lost Girls in its entirety. However, I did read the episodes that were serialized in Taboo back in the early '90s. I enjoyed those and would not mind having the set, though the price is a bit much for me right now.


Yeah it's going for about 60 bucks on Amazon, which is quite hefty, but damn Dennis, Lost Girls is truly a unique set of graphic novels. You do get a lot of bang for your buck, it just happens to be a lot of buck to drop in one shot.



Just reading up on Lost Girls, certainly looks appealing as well.
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7609
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Postby DennisMM on Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:18 pm

I got myself the Blade Runner briefcase collection for Christmas, so the next pricey set has to wait a bit. I will have it eventually, I suspect.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Postby Maui on Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:19 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:I'm no expert, but if you're looking for Gaiman stuff there's always Sandman, I don't think one can go wrong there... and I really enjoyed 1602, beautiful art in that book on top of Gaiman's sharp pen.


Thanks Pacino, read up on this as well, might just check them out too! :)
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7609
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Postby instant_karma on Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:22 pm

Crisis on Infinite Earths, we3 or DC: The New Frontier would all be welcomed.
User avatar
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours
 
Posts: 2863
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:57 am
Location: Thereabouts

Postby DennisMM on Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:27 pm

Go for we3 and bawl your eyes out all Christmas day.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Postby Maui on Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:28 pm

Dennis, someone should be getting you Lost Girls for your birthday, no?
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7609
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:32 pm

Maui wrote:Just reading up on Lost Girls, certainly looks appealing as well.


Maybe you've seen it already, but we've got a pretty nifty Lost Girls thread.

Another recommendation would be for fellow Canuck Bryan Lee O'Malley's Scott Pilgrim. Affordable, hilarious, awesome!!! (threadable too: http://zone.aintitcool.com/viewtopic.php?t=44075)



DC New Frontier... damn, one more added to my list, I'd forgotten about that. I need to start writing these down!
User avatar
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER
 
Posts: 14064
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:20 am

Postby DennisMM on Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:33 pm

It's not really the sort of thing I'd feel comfortable asking someone else to buy me. I am rather old-fashioned in some ways.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Postby instant_karma on Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:37 pm

DennisMM wrote:Go for we3 and bawl your eyes out all Christmas day.


Oh, I've read it (DC: The New Frontier too). I just want it in a nice collected edition.
User avatar
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours
 
Posts: 2863
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:57 am
Location: Thereabouts

Postby Maui on Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:44 pm

DennisMM wrote:It's not really the sort of thing I'd feel comfortable asking someone else to buy me. I am rather old-fashioned in some ways.


That's cool. :wink:
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7609
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Postby Maui on Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:45 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:
Maui wrote:Just reading up on Lost Girls, certainly looks appealing as well.


Maybe you've seen it already, but we've got a pretty nifty Lost Girls thread.

Another recommendation would be for fellow Canuck Bryan Lee O'Malley's Scott Pilgrim. Affordable, hilarious, awesome!!! (threadable too: http://zone.aintitcool.com/viewtopic.php?t=44075)



DC New Frontier... damn, one more added to my list, I'd forgotten about that. I need to start writing these down!



Will do, thanks for the recommendations, especially the Canuck one, eh?
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7609
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Postby DennisMM on Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:46 pm

instant_karma wrote:
DennisMM wrote:Go for we3 and bawl your eyes out all Christmas day.


Oh, I've read it (DC: The New Frontier too). I just want it in a nice collected edition.


Ah. So many folks only read collections that I assumed you were one. Sorry.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:46 pm

Maui wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:
Maui wrote:Just reading up on Lost Girls, certainly looks appealing as well.


Maybe you've seen it already, but we've got a pretty nifty Lost Girls thread.

Another recommendation would be for fellow Canuck Bryan Lee O'Malley's Scott Pilgrim. Affordable, hilarious, awesome!!! (threadable too: http://zone.aintitcool.com/viewtopic.php?t=44075)



DC New Frontier... damn, one more added to my list, I'd forgotten about that. I need to start writing these down!



Will do, thanks for the recommendations, especially the Canuck one, eh?


Yeah, KCBC is apeshit for Pilgrim...I need to pick that up too.
Image
User avatar
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked
 
Posts: 17641
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:18 pm
Location: Pasture next to the Red Barn

Postby doglips on Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:56 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:The Eternals, eh? I was pretty disappointed by it and I stopped buying them by the fourth or fifth (or sixth, I can't remember) issue... did that series end finally?


It ended very well on issue 7, 4 and 5 did lull and there was a big gap in release dates - but the final issues were excellent.

It will read very well as a trade, Maui. The Romita Jr art is mind-blowing.
User avatar
doglips
MOD FAIRY
 
Posts: 6288
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:08 am

Postby Maui on Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:59 pm

doglips wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:The Eternals, eh? I was pretty disappointed by it and I stopped buying them by the fourth or fifth (or sixth, I can't remember) issue... did that series end finally?


It ended very well on issue 7, 4 and 5 did lull and there was a big gap in release dates - but the final issues were excellent.

It will read very well as a trade, Maui. The Romita Jr art is mind-blowing.


Ok DL, I'll keep that in mind. Nothing's crossed off the list at this point. Everything is fair game.
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7609
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Postby doglips on Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:02 pm

Check out the P.L.A.I.N. Janes too Maui, easily one of the most quirky and well written books I've read this year.
User avatar
doglips
MOD FAIRY
 
Posts: 6288
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:08 am

Postby Maui on Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:59 pm

doglips wrote:Check out the P.L.A.I.N. Janes too Maui, easily one of the most quirky and well written books I've read this year.



Cool, thanks DL! Gotta nice list going now.
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7609
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Postby Lady Sheridan on Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:36 am

"Mail Order Ninja" from which my signature hails, is a pretty sweet little read. I am ashamed to have actually purchased something from TokyoPop but the idea of a boy owning his own ninja was too irresistible. It's juvenile, but smart enough to be fun. plus you can get copies for like $2.00 on Amazon.

I want Runaways, I need to put Vol 1 on my Wish List...
User avatar
Lady Sheridan
RED
 
Posts: 5035
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:09 pm
Location: Croft Manor

Postby bluebottle on Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:39 am

Lady Sheridan wrote:I want Runaways, I need to put Vol 1 on my Wish List...


The Hardcovers are great. Best series right now, IMHO.
User avatar
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 5354
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:17 pm
Location: Canada

Postby DennisMM on Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:01 am

I've got volume 2 sitting next to my bed. I'd only read these in the manga/digest format and damn do they look good on nice paper at full size.

Oh, and buy Scott Pilgrim. Blue's avatar commands.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Postby Lady Sheridan on Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:27 am

And just in case We3 was too much of a feel-good story, this Christmas we can enjoy the story of Laika:

http://www.amazon.com/Laika-Nick-Abadzis/dp/1596431016/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-4114253-6398821?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1188627967&sr=8-1

I do NOT think I am going to have the guts to read this one.
User avatar
Lady Sheridan
RED
 
Posts: 5035
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:09 pm
Location: Croft Manor

Postby Chilli on Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:45 am

300 probably. Can't self-pimp, so that'll have to do.
User avatar
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost
 
Posts: 6869
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:13 am
Location: Wales

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:21 am

I'm not done reading it, but since I haven't really noticed it in this thread, I'll recommend THE COMPLETE MAUS.
User avatar
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT
 
Posts: 5588
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:00 am
Location: Gotham City

Postby Evil Hobbit on Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:47 am

I preordered the absolute sandman vol 2 today. Think I'll ask for Gunslinger or New Frontier (absolute) or Runaways. Maus is great. Also realy like the new colored issues of Bone.
User avatar
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 1248
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:35 am
Location: the Netherlands

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:50 am

Evil Hobbit wrote:Also realy like the new colored issues of Bone.


BAH!!! *fondly clutches B&W TPBs and original first print issues*
User avatar
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER
 
Posts: 14064
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:20 am

Postby instant_karma on Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:42 pm

Has anybody read the Steve Niles 28 Days Later: Aftermath spin-off thing?

I find Steve Niles a bit uneven, so I'd like to hear from somebody that's read it before going for it.
User avatar
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours
 
Posts: 2863
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:57 am
Location: Thereabouts

Postby Maui on Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:52 pm

I picked up 1602 on Pacino's recommendation. Beautiful artwork I agree, upon just glancing through the pages.
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7609
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Postby Pacino86845 on Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:50 am

Maui wrote:I picked up 1602 on Pacino's recommendation. Beautiful artwork I agree, upon just glancing through the pages.


YAY!!! I hope you like it!!
User avatar
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER
 
Posts: 14064
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:20 am

Postby The Vicar on Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:50 am

instant_karma wrote:Has anybody read the Steve Niles 28 Days Later: Aftermath spin-off thing?

I find Steve Niles a bit uneven, so I'd like to hear from somebody that's read it before going for it.


I was just looking at that.....bought The Road instead - but this looked good enough that next paycheck, its mine.
.
........................................
Image
User avatar
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone
 
Posts: 16179
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:21 am

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:42 pm

Evil Hobbit wrote:I preordered the absolute sandman vol 2 today. Think I'll ask for Gunslinger or New Frontier (absolute) or Runaways. Maus is great. Also realy like the new colored issues of Bone.


When is that Absolute Sandman vol 2 supposed to be released? I loved volume one. It was amazing.
User avatar
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT
 
Posts: 5588
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:00 am
Location: Gotham City

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:45 pm

I too am looking to start getting into comics.

So far Ive only read Scott Pilgrim and Watchmen. I read some stuff as a kid, but not anything religiously. I don't want to get into anything that doesnt stand on it's own (aka no marvel universe etc... as their backstories are too convoluted)

I plan on getting Y: The Last Man.

What are the essentials?
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:51 pm

Well this thread is a good place to start stereos, but just a note on the superhero world: You can find quite a few outstanding stand-alone graphic novels featuring superheroes, where you wouldn't need to know more than the "basics" of their backstories. 1602 and Red Son are good examples of this.
User avatar
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER
 
Posts: 14064
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:20 am

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:53 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:Well this thread is a good place to start stereos, but just a note on the superhero world: You can find quite a few outstanding stand-alone graphic novels featuring superheroes, where you wouldn't need to know more than the "basics" of their backstories. 1602 and Red Son are good examples of this.


Or Civil War!

*runs*
Image
User avatar
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked
 
Posts: 17641
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:18 pm
Location: Pasture next to the Red Barn

Postby Nordling on Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:54 pm

I need to get Y: THE LAST MAN. I've been meaning to forever.
Image
User avatar
Nordling
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2092
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:39 am
Location: Missouri City, TX

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:55 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:Well this thread is a good place to start stereos, but just a note on the superhero world: You can find quite a few outstanding stand-alone graphic novels featuring superheroes, where you wouldn't need to know more than the "basics" of their backstories. 1602 and Red Son are good examples of this.


Ive heard that but it would sort of drive me nuts not knowing all the previous incarnation stuff beforehand.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby Nordling on Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:57 pm

RED SON's great. There's also a Superman Elseworlds comic that presupposes that instead of the Kents finding him, it's the Waynes, and when they die, he goes Bat-nuts. An excellent one-shot.
Image
User avatar
Nordling
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2092
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:39 am
Location: Missouri City, TX

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:57 pm

What incarnation stuff? Are you some kind of Buddhist?
User avatar
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER
 
Posts: 14064
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:20 am

Postby Nordling on Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:01 pm

The Super-Bat comic's called SPEEDING BULLETS, and sadly out of print.
Image
User avatar
Nordling
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2092
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:39 am
Location: Missouri City, TX

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Books

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest